(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

thanks!! :)
N yes it sucks big time!! In the end went to see the doc coz didnt know which meds is pregnancy safe..got better but nose still blocked...almost 5 days alrdy..hopefully it all goes away real soon...
I've been a sick duckling throughout my pregnancy but my worst got to be when I got influenza during my 25th wk?? (Was down for 1.5wks) Silly GP at TMC A&E scared me with talks of H1N1 and what not. Said there'd be pregnancy complications etc. So it's a gd move for u to see ur doc when u have cold and flu. Quite a scary experience.

me too, i think i bought too many clothes for 0-3 months :| need to stop buying for now...but those rompers are so cute!!
Now I'm focused on getting big ticket items like prams... Do u have any brands you're looking at?? Heard a lot about the peg perego brand... But there's just so many to choose from!

@nazriah: I did not and am not planning to attend any class. Got the childbirth books from TMC and read.

I did not attend any classes as well. But been trying to find on youtube on antenatal classes but not much there tho. Any links to read up related to childbirth? 1

Sooo.... how do we get the forms?
A lil blur tho...
The cash gift and CDA same thing or 2 diff things?

Cash gift of 6k is different from CDA. 6k to parents' account.

CDA to child's account which is dollar to dollar scheme. (U put $1, govt top up $1, capped at 6k) only ocbc or stanchart.

Can be done at hospital birth registration counters. Can ask daddy to do the job when he's free during the stay or when registering for birth certificate if you're doing it at the hospital. All major & private hospitals have this service.

CDA to child's account which is dollar to dollar scheme. (U put $1, govt top up $1, capped at 6k) only ocbc or stanchart.

Can be done at hospital birth registration counters. Can ask daddy to do the job when he's free during the stay or when registering for birth certificate if you're doing it at the hospital. All major & private hospitals have this service.

Thank you for the explanation. Basically, the registration officer will inform us or we need to ask for it?

Went for my first childbirth edu class yesterday and the topic was on labour. Was greeted with a video of a woman halfway in delivery and the baby's crowning at her vagina. Did breathing exercises, etc. Not sure if that helped me to be more prepared or not.

Are u opting for natural (epidural?) or csect?
Yeah I'm still on antenatal classes and I'm beginning to get more nervous as the days crawl by.
I'm most likely going to be a elective csect mother because I'm a wimpy wuss when it comes to childbirth. I reckon I would give up if I tried to give birth naturally and end up with a emergency csect.
So since I'm also a nutty control freak I would rather have my situation under "control" by opting for an elective csect so I don't get any major surprises!
But the horror stories I hear about healing and pain after a csect is another story altogether -_-

Any mummies getting air purifier? Which brand to consider?
I have air purifiers in my house since before preggo because of the stupid haze. I have the sharp ion plasamaclusters, one in living room and the other in the mbr. Two most frequently used rooms in my house by me and hubz. You need to have it on for lengthy periods of time for purifiers to work their cleaning magic not like switch on a few minutes and then switch off yeah if not no effect.

Last edited:

Another miserable "carrot" from the govt. They think dealing with pregnancy, childbirth and raising a kid is peanuts.
The medisave amount that we can claim is puny for both antenatal and hospital stay.
The very thought they assume this 6k was their "solution" to entice Singaporeans to have babies is annoying.
I'm pretty sure everyone has already spent more than this 6k by now.

Last edited:
Another miserable "carrot" from the govt. They think dealing with pregnancy, childbirth and raising a kid is peanuts.
The medisave amount that we can claim is puny for both antenatal and hospital stay.
The very thought they this 6k was their "solution" to entice Singaporeans to have babies is annoying.
I'm pretty sure everyone has already spent more than this 6k by now.

Yeah man!!! They shld increase the medisave amt to be withdrawn for antenatal and delivery. $2100 is just peanuts.

antenatal, delivery, baby necessities, transportation, and all those baby related stuffs are definitely more than 6k alrdy.

Went for my first childbirth edu class yesterday and the topic was on labour. Was greeted with a video of a woman halfway in delivery and the baby's crowning at her vagina. Did breathing exercises, etc. Not sure if that helped me to be more prepared or not.

Are u opting for natural (epidural?) or csect?
Oh god I am not going to watch that makes me even more nervous...

Just wondering if there is any first time mom not attending any antenatal classes?
I haven't decide if i am attending first time mum....I called a few and they told me I am too late unless I go for the 1 day intensive course by tmc. Thing is i am only keen with a few topic not all and certainly not keen to watch the video of women giving birth

Oh god I am not going to watch that makes me even more nervous...
Yeah! It's pretty gruesome, but I forced myself to watch so I'll be more mentally prepared. Watching the csect one isn't any easier as well.

Why are u too late for antenatal class? If u go for CBE with Thomson, they have an option to slot you in with an ongoing class - something which I've done. So my "first lesson" was actually the 3rd class on the schedule.

Yeah I'm still on antenatal classes and I'm beginning to get more nervous as the days crawl by.
I'm most likely going to be a elective csect mother because I'm a wimpy wuss when it comes to childbirth. I reckon I would give up if I tried to give birth naturally and end up with a emergency csect.
So since I'm also a nutty control freak I would rather have my situation under "control" by opting for an elective csect so I don't get any major surprises!
But the horror stories I hear about healing and pain after a csect is another story altogether -_-

It's good to remain in control; but yes, I agree that the thought of the longer recovery period and prolonged pain, is putting me off...

However, at this point in time, it's still up to the gynae to advise us if the baby is too big/placenta is in ok position or not, etc. So I'm just going to go with the flow first and finalise things at the next appointment I guess. Going for my 28/29wk spot on Wednesday, so I reckon it should be finalised at the later one.

Any mummies getting air purifier? Which brand to consider?

I aso had it during haze period, bot novita wen there was online sale..
Like wat @PixiePosh mentioned, need on it for long period to see the effect. My kid was having been wheezing n was on sabutamol puffs, after using purifier can see vast difference that she no long cough as much as b4.

Yeah! It's pretty gruesome, but I forced myself to watch so I'll be more mentally prepared. Watching the csect one isn't any easier as well.

Why are u too late for antenatal class? If u go for CBE with Thomson, they have an option to slot you in with an ongoing class - something which I've done. So my "first lesson" was actually the 3rd class on the schedule.

Yeah I keep thinking I have alot of time...haha...but just realised its 10 more weeks to go...see how I will probably go for the one day crash course ba...

But u know when we give birth we won't be able to see anything down there whether it is natural or csect.. think watching the video it will make us feel more kan cheong n scared :(

But u know when we give birth we won't be able to see anything down there whether it is natural or csect.. think watching the video it will make us feel more kan cheong n scared :(

Haha @momocrv ur description v true..we really cant see anything, but can feel la.. I think any hubby who see through the delivery process is really brave too. It aint nice to see when baby head pops out, n the gushing of water n blood...

Now I'm focused on getting big ticket items like prams... Do u have any brands you're looking at?? Heard a lot about the peg perego brand... But there's just so many to choose from!

Consider if u drive, or take public, who u will travel with ie. if alone most of time n tk public best is light weight (example: zen baby yoyo-one hand closure, combi, maclaren or less den 4kg), if always hAve help n drives, den any sturdy (prams quinny, preg preggo, etc) will do. Must consider tat if the prams are too bulky n big aso be quite hard to squeeze in elavator cos ppl may not give way, or if no escalator need take stairs (novena mrt station exit to united square - duno y nv upgrade, sighs) ..

Actually if not in hurry for pram can wait till after deliver den see wat kind of pram suit the lifestyle n comfort of baby...like some prefers full canopy, or more cushion etc..

I'm on the go as I read your answer, but I'm answering this first because I'm SO FRIGGIN excited abt the bugaboo bee as well!!!!!
I was just wondering if it's too big to manoeuvre in malls....
I was trying it out at motherworks the other day and it seems ok but not sure about moving around crowded malls though.. Of course the sales girl was saying its a breeze.. Hahah

Haha @momocrv ur description v true..we really cant see anything, but can feel la.. I think any hubby who see through the delivery process is really brave too. It aint nice to see when baby head pops out, n the gushing of water n blood...
During my class when the birth video played I was staring at the ceiling and then happened to catch my hubby's facial expression for a split second. He looked petrified! It was hilarious

It's good to remain in control; but yes, I agree that the thought of the longer recovery period and prolonged pain, is putting me off...

However, at this point in time, it's still up to the gynae to advise us if the baby is too big/placenta is in ok position or not, etc. So I'm just going to go with the flow first and finalise things at the next appointment I guess. Going for my 28/29wk spot on Wednesday, so I reckon it should be finalised at the later one.
My gynae assessed me, baby etc and everything is normal and in optimal condition thus far for a natural delivery as I have already established my leaning towards an elective csect to him. He mentioned if my fear is so heightened I might just psyche myself to give up during labour even if he thinks I should go ahead with a natural delivery. He also said there is apparently a "trend" of mothers opting for elective csect nowadays and they are labelled Fashionista or Posh mothers. I was like -_-"...

Yeah I keep thinking I have alot of time...haha...but just realised its 10 more weeks to go...see how I will probably go for the one day crash course ba...

When is the one day crash course? I didn't sign up for any antenatal classes bcos the timing don't suit hubby's work schedule.

Some of my friends ask their hubby don't "see" just stand by their side for support...cos some of them were so traumatized after seeing their wife giving birth they dare not "touch" them for awhile....so scary le

I was trying it out at motherworks the other day and it seems ok but not sure about moving around crowded malls though.. Of course the sales girl was saying its a breeze.. Hahah
I love bugaboo bee but decided to get the babyzen yoyo instead as it is really compact, light but sturdy. Furthermore, we intend to travel quite a bit with bb, this stroller is the only stroller can go into flight cabin like our hand carry luggage.

My gynae assessed me, baby etc and everything is normal and in optimal condition thus far for a natural delivery as I have already established my leaning towards an elective csect to him. He mentioned if my fear is so heightened I might just psyche myself to give up during labour even if he thinks I should go ahead with a natural delivery. He also said there is apparently a "trend" of mothers opting for elective csect nowadays and they are labelled Fashionista or Posh mothers. I was like -_-"...
Recovery for csect will take at least 6 months so mummies who wants to go back to your exercise regime Pls be careful. Natural is still the best I feel either way both will be painful but after seeing bb it is all worth it
:D

Hi mummies

Check with u does baby need to wrap with swaddle from the moment is born till how many mths?

I online bought 1 swaddle

If everyday also need swaddle then I have to buy more

I love bugaboo bee but decided to get the babyzen yoyo instead as it is really compact, light but sturdy. Furthermore, we intend to travel quite a bit with bb, this stroller is the only stroller can go into flight cabin like our hand carry luggage.

Hello.. do u think babyzen yoyo wheels is strong enough for daily usage taking mrt/bus etc? I am considering quinny and capella as well.. and how much is it?

Recovery for csect will take at least 6 months so mummies who wants to go back to your exercise regime Pls be careful. Natural is still the best I feel either way both will be painful but after seeing bb it is all worth it
:D
Yeah I'm damn worried and hope for the best too. Most importantly my baby come out safely. Been hearing a lot of diff stories from diff ppl so as I'm hitting 30 wks trying my best to keep zen..

Hi mummies

Check with u does baby need to wrap with swaddle from the moment is born till how many mths?

Depends on baby actually. Swaddling helps baby to sleep better like as if they are still in our womb. I think 2 or 3 swaddles shld be enough. Coz some babies dont like to be swaddled.

If that's the case, swaddle can be use for blanket, nursing cover, stroller cover etc... so it is still not wasted if the baby doesn't like to be swaddled. Get those bamboo ones. Quite cooling I must say.

2 of my nephews were swaddled to sleep till they were abt 8 mths. And another one just for 1 mth only.

Oh yah I saw the babyzen video!
Lolz this guy just whipped it open with one hand in mid air?! I thought it was damn cool and light!
My hubby is odd he thinks there shouldn't be just one stroller and I don't understand why.
I have purchased a baby carrier which I will use eventually when I'm healed and good enough to venture out of my house for short distances.
I was thinking the stroller will be used like later maybe from 2/3 months onwards when we go out a little further instead of just the cafes near our house. So I don't think I need to get like the NB insert etc or do I? NB insert/bassinet is from birth till 1 month only usually yes??
Anyway his rational for 2 strollers? The bee looks too pretty and quaint for him to push it and the babyzen looks like a toy that might break.
He thinks he should cart our baby in a Maclaren XLR. He thinks it looks sturdy, man friendly and large enough for him to push and not destroy it. He saw a few ang mohs guys pushing it around our area which is why he is convinced this is the one for tall daddies.
So since he is 6ft and I'm only 5'4, he thinks it's best to get 2 strollers -_-".
I think it's a waste of money to consider 2, just buy one proper model and see if the baby even likes the damn stroller right? Zahhhh

Yeah I'm damn worried and hope for the best too. Most importantly my baby come out safely. Been hearing a lot of diff stories from diff ppl so as I'm hitting 30 wks trying my best to keep zen..
Yeah best not to think too much and just enjoy the pregnancy now :)

Oh yah I saw the babyzen video!
Lolz this guy just whipped it open with one hand in mid air?! I thought it was damn cool and light!
My hubby is odd he thinks there shouldn't be just one stroller and I don't understand why.
I have purchased a baby carrier which I will use eventually when I'm healed and good enough to venture out of my house for short distances.
I was thinking the stroller will be used like later maybe from 2/3 months onwards when we go out a little further instead of just the cafes near our house. So I don't think I need to get like the NB insert etc or do I? NB insert/bassinet is from birth till 1 month only usually yes??
Anyway his rational for 2 strollers? The bee looks too pretty and quaint for him to push it and the babyzen looks like a toy that might break.
He thinks he should cart our baby in a Maclaren XLR. He thinks it looks sturdy, man friendly and large enough for him to push and not destroy it. He saw a few ang mohs guys pushing it around our area which is why he is convinced this is the one for tall daddies.
So since he is 6ft and I'm only 5'4, he thinks it's best to get 2 strollers -_-".
I think it's a waste of money to consider 2, just buy one proper model and see if the baby even likes the damn stroller right? Zahhhh
Actually we bought two strollers too :- my hubby prefer stokke cos the height can be adjusted to table level. He said when we bring bb out we don't have to ask for high chair. But yes you are right the bb may not even like to be put on strollers hahaha...some prefer to be carry..

Hello.. do u think babyzen yoyo wheels is strong enough for daily usage taking mrt/bus etc? I am considering quinny and capella as well.. and how much is it?

I have 2 capella at home, HONESTLY not a good investment... so i dun really recommend, cos quite fragile after long time usage.
Hi mummies

I also swaddle for 3 weeks to 1 mth at most, den will let baby explore without mittens and swaddle... cant restrict their movement for long but some baby need swaddle for a long time cos they will "jump" from sudden loud noises or dun feel secure...

Anyone felt rhythmic thumping in your lower abdomen? Havw been having it for a few days. Googled it and found answer saying is baby having hiccups. Awww. So cute. How I wish I can view it on my check up this Wednesday.
me..... it feels so funny rite? At first I did not realised if hiccups. But i happened quite few min before it stop. Then sometime I am trying to move my body going left or right side, see if it can helps my baby to stop hiccups. But still takes few min for my baby to stop the hiccups.

Back