(2015/01) Jan 2015 Mummies

go Novena Square jalan jalan using their shuttle bus
cannot lah... take OGTT leh..cannot walk too far ...
if walk too far confirm will pass one lolz :D cos walking will burnt the sugar content
which is why clinic dun allow..cos they want to know how our body process the sugar without "exercise"

I'm going for my growth scan tomorrow at 4pm, n my OGTT plus doc's appt on Wed at 8.30am. I wonder if they will notice if I "disappear" for 1 hr since KK is so crowded. :D

i tink i m really the 劳碌命 type.quit my job to rest for pregnancy.
then slightest change in weather makes me fall sick.
last time work from 8am to 1-2am also no sick,weekend work also no sick.
haiz...

i tink i m really the 劳碌命 type.quit my job to rest for pregnancy.
then slightest change in weather makes me fall sick.
last time work from 8am to 1-2am also no sick,weekend work also no sick.
haiz...

Lol, oh dear! I'm the same, though I'm becoming increasingly bo chup at work as the days go by. Hope u feel better soon! The weather is so horrible nowadays, so freaking hot all the time, then suddenly rain. Drink more water n rest more!

Lol, oh dear! I'm the same, though I'm becoming increasingly bo chup at work as the days go by. Hope u feel better soon! The weather is so horrible nowadays, so freaking hot all the time, then suddenly rain. Drink more water n rest more!

ha..thanks :)

last time always complain abt "kiam chai mia - 咸菜命" when gotto work OT like mad to rush urgent stuffs.
now got the comfort to stay at home to 养胎 and relax,then fall sick.
aiyo...dunno y like tat ah..

cannot lah... take OGTT leh..cannot walk too far ...
if walk too far confirm will pass one lolz :D cos walking will burnt the sugar content
which is why clinic dun allow..cos they want to know how our body process the sugar without "exercise"
acty exercise may artificially elevate the blood sugar if i didnt remember wrongly.

acty exercise may artificially elevate the blood sugar if i didnt remember wrongly.

overtime it will help... see below

Why Do Blood Glucose Levels Sometimes Go Up after Physical Activity?

When you exercise your muscles need more glucose to supply energy. In response, your liver increases the amount of glucose it releases into your bloodstream. Remember, however, that the glucose needs insulin in order to be used by your muscles. So if you do not have enough insulin available, your blood glucose levels can actually increase right after exercise. Basically, stimulated by the demand from your exercising muscles, your body is pouring glucose into your bloodstream. If you do not have enough insulin available to "unlock the door" to your muscles, the glucose cannot get into your muscles to provide needed energy. The end result is that glucose backs-up in your bloodstream, causing higher blood glucose readings.

Exercises to Lower Your Blood Sugar
How It Works
When you do moderate exercise, like walking, that makes your heart beat a little faster and breathe a little harder. Your muscles use more glucose, the sugar in your blood stream. Over time, this can lower your blood sugar levels. It also makes the insulin in your body work better. You'll get these benefits for hours after your walk or workout.

Just remember you don’t have to overdo it. Strenuous exercise can sometimes increase blood sugar temporarily after you stop exercising. Very intense exercise can cause the body to make more stress hormones which can lead to an increase in blood sugar.

u are not allowed to go shopping. but u can walk arnd to go toilet, talk to ppl etc. :D

TMC got nowhere to go shopping lor unless go Novena, but 2 hours not enough time lah. I prefer to look see and walk around when I shop... =.= If can walk around, I'll just walk to the wards, maybe join the hospital tour (again)...

So take the drink at 8.30am, then take reading, sit around for 2 hours, then take reading again??

ya v early..i went to pay for my stuff, then the clinic assistant asked me to choose. I went"huh???" cos i was totally unprepared. hence i just flipped thru the folder which showed photos of the rooms, then i told her "single".

WC Cheng clinic assistants ask me every appt leh. I just tell them I will choose after hospital tour... The staff says they ask early, so that they don't miss out on your booking... so my file got a note which states that I haven't choose bed.

TMC got nowhere to go shopping lor unless go Novena, but 2 hours not enough time lah. I prefer to look see and walk around when I shop... =.= If can walk around, I'll just walk to the wards, maybe join the hospital tour (again)...

So take the drink at 8.30am, then take reading, sit around for 2 hours, then take reading again??
acty, 1 tube of blood will be drawn first (to get the fasting blood sugar reading), then u drink the glucose solution. Thereafter, u sit around for 2 hrs before another tube of blood gets drawn (to get blood sugar reading 2 hrs after consuming the glucose). U dont get your reading on the spot...Gotta wait a few days

WC Cheng clinic assistants ask me every appt leh. I just tell them I will choose after hospital tour... The staff says they ask early, so that they don't miss out on your booking... so my file got a note which states that I haven't choose bed.
oh i see...so i didnt need to tell them first lah... anyway i was told i can change...i am pretty sure i want a single room so no biggie for me... staying in a suite will burn a big hole in my pocket unless i can claim from my insurance !

overtime it will help... see below

Why Do Blood Glucose Levels Sometimes Go Up after Physical Activity?

When you exercise your muscles need more glucose to supply energy. In response, your liver increases the amount of glucose it releases into your bloodstream. Remember, however, that the glucose needs insulin in order to be used by your muscles. So if you do not have enough insulin available, your blood glucose levels can actually increase right after exercise. Basically, stimulated by the demand from your exercising muscles, your body is pouring glucose into your bloodstream. If you do not have enough insulin available to "unlock the door" to your muscles, the glucose cannot get into your muscles to provide needed energy. The end result is that glucose backs-up in your bloodstream, causing higher blood glucose readings.

Exercises to Lower Your Blood Sugar
How It Works
When you do moderate exercise, like walking, that makes your heart beat a little faster and breathe a little harder. Your muscles use more glucose, the sugar in your blood stream. Over time, this can lower your blood sugar levels. It also makes the insulin in your body work better. You'll get these benefits for hours after your walk or workout.

Just remember you don’t have to overdo it. Strenuous exercise can sometimes increase blood sugar temporarily after you stop exercising. Very intense exercise can cause the body to make more stress hormones which can lead to an increase in blood sugar.
yup yup, but what is of concern here is ...any "intervention" on your part during the test to alter the reading, be it elevate or decrease.

oh ya...remember that u arent allowed to drink large amts of water (not more than 1 cup as i was told that day) during the test ah!!!

I'm clueless w what the reading should be, 8.4 is pass or fail?

Gestational diabetes
If you're being tested for gestational diabetes, your doctor will consider the results of each blood glucose test. If two or more of the tests are higher than normal, you'll be diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

• A normal fasting blood glucose level is lower than 95 mg/dL (5.3 mmol/L).
  • One hour after drinking the glucose solution, a normal blood glucose level is lower than 180 mg/dL (10 mmol/L).
  • Two hours after drinking the glucose solution, a normal blood glucose level is lower than 155 mg/dL (8.6 mmol/L).
  • Three hours after drinking the glucose solution, a normal blood glucose level is lower than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L).
If you're diagnosed with gestational diabetes, you can prevent complications by carefully managing your blood glucose level throughout the rest of your pregnancy.

Taken from http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/glucose-tolerance-test/basics/results/prc-20014814

acty, 1 tube of blood will be drawn first (to get the fasting blood sugar reading), then u drink the glucose solution. Thereafter, u sit around for 2 hrs before another tube of blood gets drawn (to get blood sugar reading 2 hrs after consuming the glucose). U dont get your reading on the spot...Gotta wait a few days

So it's one before and another one 2 hours later.... okay noted! So need to find something to do during those 2 hours.....

I'm clueless w what the reading should be, 8.4 is pass or fail?
i also no idea .. but if based on my glucose machine reading and the guideline given by my gynae during #1 time

before meal 3.8 to 5.5 mmol/L= normal
after meal 5.5 to 7mmol/L = normal
all others not normal

FAIL. Got GDM
control diet and exercise liao !!!
cut carbo ..take more vegetable but cannot take more than 2 servicing of fruit per day no doubt these sugar are good from fruit but they are still sugar .. and most important no more Fruit juice

take low GI food ..

GD.GIF

control diet and exercise liao !!!
cut carbo ..take more vegetable but cannot take more than 2 servicing of fruit per day no doubt these sugar are good from fruit but they are still sugar .. and most important no more Fruit juice

take low GI food ...
i dont take fruit juice (cos i feel it's a waste of $$$, never bought them). carbo..i am not sure to what extent that can be cut further if i am eating like < 1/2 a bowl of rice alrdy. i'd sort that out with my dr i guess...

Oh dear! :( So what do u have to do now?
not sure, next appt is 14 nov. i guess in the meantime i'd just watch what i eat. 1 part of me wants to show him the rpeort only then, and the other part of me wants to shoot him an email to at least let him know the result...and ask if i can acty take metformin which i did b4 i BFP for my pcos

i dont take fruit juice (cos i feel it's a waste of $$$, never bought them). carbo..i am not sure to what extent that can be cut further if i am eating like < 1/2 a bowl of rice alrdy. i'd sort that out with my dr i guess...

dun take white rice ..change to brown rice .

your clinic most likely will arrange meet up with dietician to discuss on diet plan and maybe rent or ask you to buy those pricking machine do reading to monitor

not sure, next appt is 14 nov. i guess in the meantime i'd just watch what i eat. 1 part of me wants to show him the rpeort only then, and the other part of me wants to shoot him an email to at least let him know the result...and ask if i can acty take metformin which i did b4 i BFP for my pcos
suggest you send gynae the report and start your diet plan instead of wait til 14 Nov

you may also want to detail down what your usual diet is like so that the dietician can pin point which are the things to take note... must also include your beverage list

Last edited:
Maybe call the clinic and let them know... they may want you to bring forward your appt so that Dr can see the report and advise you accordingly straightaway....

I think maybe u can email him the report n ask him if u need to take any immediate actions, since 14 Nov is still quite a number of days away. DON'T self medicate!

your is Dr Tham right... you can email him, he will respond de.

Oh no...is the lab who give you the result?
Would a retest help?
Mine is call from my gynae clinic and she never tell me my reading. Only say I pass.
i also never see report only get call that say i pass but still need to monitor diet cos borderline pass

your is Dr Tham right... you can email him, he will respond de.
wah doc reply email ... i dun even have my gynae email address lolz .. for me everything fax or sms to hotline and if urgent the clinci assistant will quickly check with gynae

Another way that is feasible is... slight diet modification and i get the glucose meter. then see by 2 wks time if i have anything better to show... haha

I think maybe u can email him the report n ask him if u need to take any immediate actions, since 14 Nov is still quite a number of days away. DON'T self medicate!
Wont anyhow take the metformin..cos he told me to stop it that time after i asked him via email after bfp (b4 my appt to see hb)...is whether to stop immediately or to taper the dose.

I hope she didnt wash diapers with clothes. I read that supposed to separate the loads.
Its ok to wash together.
There is nappy liner to catch the poo. So if the diapers are very dirty rinse first before throwing in

But i would set extra rinse for each load.

Back