(2014) ivf mummies support group

A question: If you feed your LO every 3 hourly and she naps past the feeding time when 3 hourly is up, do you wake her up to feed or just let her nap until she wakes up on her own?

i usually fill abt 100ml to 120ml per bottle.. baby usually tak 2 feed per day, finish everything in the bottle.. i send 3 to 4 bottle, depending on how long i let baby spend at infant care.

for next few weeks, for full day at infant care, i will send 4bottles 1st.. see how much baby takes..

i dun really know how much i can pump.. i jus make sure i hav sufficient for next day @infant care i dun do new pumpin session, unless feel engorged.. sometimes i even mix odd bits left from different day pump session to make up 1 feed. then i label that mix bottle as 1st feed for ifc..

when baby is back at night n weekends i latch.. unless got odd bits left from pump or left over feed from infant care n i happen to go my mum's place, i will let my mum feed. very lor soh.. jus sharing...
Joy, you mean from the time your baby wakes up in the morning till night before you latch, only takes 2 bottles of ebm of 100 ml to 120 ml?

I am also facing the same thing as my buddy. My baby will drink like 50 ml then stop got to play play a bit then drink back. I am wondering is it my feeding problem or what.
I think i am the only one on total fm.
Lynn, have u tried changing baby teats?? maybe the flow is too slow.. baby tired of sucking?? or baby juz change his sucking pattern. I started w using medela teats... after 1 mth he suddenly cannot handle, milk kept leaking while drinking... then I switch to nuk.. wow... love it... he drank every single drop of the milk.. then at 5mth... he start to reject nuk :( i tried pigeon, also rejected. to my surprise, he okie w medela again... lol... so I'm using medela again.

faithfullyours my girls at 4mths + only 6.2kg for elder, younger was 6.1kg. my younger still doesn't know how to flip. my elder can flip but doesn't know how to turn back. my younger doesn't know how to flip yet but when I put her on tummy sometimes she can turn back lol. guess now u must keep bottle feed her so she can get use to it, maybe don't latch at moment. I don't wake my girls up for feed I let them sleep.

lynhope my girls also drink halfway will fuss. but if they reject shouldn't it be right from start don't want drink already. they both can drink from 120ml to 50ml then stop. fuss here fuss there then bluff here and there continue again. I using 3m+ teats for them cause next stage is 6mth+ already guess they cant handle the fast flow yet.

lynhope thanks. ya twinnies, double happiness, double worries too. I taking 5ml coconut oil per day I don't know if it helps thicken my milk but my mum did mention that seems abit more oily. and gosh your bb at 1 mth is 5kg is good too. my girls now at 4mth+ still can wear newborn clothes. feel so lousy as their mummy lol. I always tell myself cause twins so smaller in size so gain slower. haha. u mention u always try to give bb fresh bm so meaning if u store bm u will give bb the one u just store or the one that is in fridge sometime already? some practice 1st in 1st out or last in 1st out. I thinking to give fresh bm to my girls too but I scare those in fridge will spoil if no faster use as I didn freeze them.
as u mentioned, twinne smaller in size at start mah... u r not lousy ok!!! ur supply must be good... as u feeding 2 :)
I practise 1st in 1st out for all the feed except first feed. so every morning I will wake up earliest to pump milk :) get the 'breakfast' ready before baby wakes up... heehee... if baby wakes up before I pump milk,,, I will give "fresh" milk at last feed. Becoz I dun bring bm out and baby dun latch... thus i gave fm when outside... so, i still managed to freeze some milk. it is really your preference, there is no right or wrong.

btw, i stop breadfeeding when baby is 8mth. kinda of sad as suddenly no milk. :( i guess due to stress.... so ladies, relax!!! dun stress yourself.

Lyn, yes I'm the skinny type. My pre pregnancy weight has never gone beyond 45 kg.

When my CL was around, the most she had ever drunk from a bottle was 90 ml. After my CL left, she rejected the bottle totally. We are trying to train her to accept the bottle again.

I brought her to KKH Children's Emergency, PD at Mt E and Mrs Wong Boh Boi at Thomson to consult why she isn't drinking as much milk as others. So far we don't have an answer for that. Mrs Wong said babies at this age should be drinking 120 ml to 160 ml per feed 3 to 4 hourly. She said my girl drank 40 ml of BM in 5 minutes when latched on because they weighed her before and after. Then I pumped out. She said my supply is decreasing. Even now we want to supplement her with FM, she also won't take the bottle.

My girl was born with a healthy weight of 3.04 kg. So when she's gaining weight so slowly in her 3rd month. I'm very worried. My target for her is just to gain 1 kg per month. Now she's 4 months old, she's only about 6.3 kg. 3rd month she was 5.94 kg. 1st month she was 4.3 kg.

I'm very stressed actually. Seeing her like this, it hurts. I'm very worried that if this continues, she might lose weight eventually. Her diaper output for pee also not as good as before.

However, she does hit her milestones like 2.5 months old, she can lift her head up when on tummy. 3.5 months old she can flip over but still can't flip back yet.

wat did your PD said/advise?? can't advise much on the bottle train.. humm.... have u tried changing bottles/teats?? my friend's baby start to drink more when she change the milk bottle to pigeon. baby will on milk strike sometimes... baby teething??? u feel anything on the gum?? hope it is juz a phase for your case.

not to worry on flipping back... my boy flip over at 4mth but he took ages to flip back too .. lol... u will wish they dun flip back so soon... lol... so difficult to do diaper change. my boy juz pee on my bed last sat!!!!! noti boy!!!

A question: If you feed your LO every 3 hourly and she naps past the feeding time when 3 hourly is up, do you wake her up to feed or just let her nap until she wakes up on her own?
faithfullyyours, i do wake baby up to drink at first 2mth.. max 4hrs... after tat i juz let baby nap n wakes up on their own, coz i feel sleep is very impt for growth.

Actually after 2nd month which was when my CL left, my girl could nap 3 hours straight. At that time, I didn't wake her up for feeds. Just let her sleep until she woke up herself. Her 2nd to 3rd month weight gain was okay because by 3rd month, she was 5.94 kg and she was on TBF. Like I said, my target for her is 1 kg per month. When we went for her 3rd month vaccination (12 Feb), her weight was at 75th percentile and her height was at 90th percentile. She was 63 cm tall at 3rd month. Everything seemed okay. Then after her vaccination, she was cranky. Really cranky. She became fussy and irritated very easily. Then she started to turn her head away from my breasts after sucking a few times. My breasts were full. So it should not be no milk. This went on until I couldn't take it anymore and brought her to KKH Children's Emergency on 21 Feb (3rd day of CNY. No PD clinic opened). The doctor on duty checked on her. No fever, no blocked nose, no ulcer, no oral thrush. Then he said it could be infant colic. But my maternal instinct told me it's not colic. Her weight was 5.90 kg. That was when I realised she didn't gain any weight since 12 Feb.

On 23 Feb, I brought her to the PD at Mt E. PD checked on her. Everything normal. He asked me to show him how to BF. Then he corrected the position and advised that for 3.5 months old babies, they should be fed 4 hourly instead of on demand and I should BF 10 to 12 minutes on one side and then switch side and BF 10 to 12 minutes. The whole BF session cannot exceed 30 minutes. He prescribed probiotics and vitamins syrup for my girl. Her weight was 6.1 kg. PD said babies grow when they sleep, play and between feeds.

I tried the PD's method of BF. I felt insecure as I didn't know if my girl would be able to get the hind milk. I used to latch on demand and let her unlatch herself. So I stopped trying after a few feeds and revert to my old method of feeding and latching.

On 4 Mar, I brought her to Thomson Parent Craft to consult the lactation consultant (LC). She weighed my girl before I BF her. She was 6.25 kg. Then she sucked for 5 minutes and she weighed her again. She was 6.29 kg. So she was telling me that with effective sucking and swallowing, she drank about 40 ml in 5 minutes. I pumped out. Then Mrs Wong Boh Boi came in and said my supply was dropping. So she tried to bottle feed her with my EBM with her facing outward and sitting upright. She didn't drink at all. Then she spit out a lot of phlegm. Mrs Wong said sometimes it could be that she has phlegm and finds it hard to swallow and therefore, doesn't want to drink milk.

Before I left, she told me to try this. BF each side for 5 minutes and top up with 30 ml using bottle and pump out to increase supply. Do this 3 hourly.

I went to Kiddy Palace and bought a Nuk glass bottle with silicone size M teat for 0 to 6 months. I tried her method. Didn't work for 1st day. I then bottle fed 1st before BF. 2nd day she drank from the rubber latex teat that Mrs Wong gave. We cut a bigger hole because the one she gave was for NB. Then next feed we tried the silicone teat. We also cut a bigger hole. She drank. So we think the issue might be the flow. That night she managed to drink 60 ml from bottle.

Then the 3rd day, she totally refused the bottle again.

Today 4th day, I asked DH to give bottle. She drank but with quite a bit of EBM spilled out. She managed to drink 30 ml at 10 am, 30 ml at 1 pm and 50 ml at 4 pm.

Time flies when we keep to such a routine. After she finishes from bottle, I let her latch on until she unlatches herself. Then I pump 10 minutes. After that, wash up everything and sterilise. By the time I put everything into the steriliser, it's almost time for next feed. It's insane! I also didn't pump at such a diligent rate during my confinement. That time I pumped 4 hourly and skipped the night pumps.

Sorry for the long post.

faith-i applaude ur determination!! jia you! hope ur girl grows to like latch as well as bottle soon!

i think full day @ifc 3 feeds 120ml each. will continue 2observe...

Faithfully, thanks for sharing. It is better to share it out so that we can share with you too. Could it be your bottle hole too big after cutting? M size nuk is ok for the flow. Hmm.. do continue to try again. Jia you. Nuk should be alright one. Like me and my buddy we really tried a few brands and type before. Coz different baby different preference. Nuk you get is it the narrow teat? For my baby prefers narrow teat.

Faith that's what I'm doing all this while pump feed settle them pump then before I can rest sometimes it's feeding again cause they sometimes can take 1hr to finish the milk. It's really not easy been an exclusive pumping mum. Latching is so much easier. Did u check if your girl got any block nose that's why cause her to not drink? Guess It will need some days before she get used to bottle afterall U been latching her since your cl left.

so far send 7.30 fetch 6plus.. i always latch morning.. actually my baby these few night very notti.. dun wan 2sleep...

Today went at 6pm and inside ifc left my girl and another bb. So stressed, I don't want my girls to be the last to be picked up cause the teachers must be all eager to go off. Plus They are new there if because of them now teachers can only go off later they sure hate it.

Faithfully, just a word of encouragement. My girl 4.5 months only 6kg. So your girl is really consider good weight. Btw i.have started on cereal. My pd gave us the sample cereal and food puree guide for my baby. Cereal is one 1 teaspoon put in milk. Nestle brand one. Then 2 days later slowly increase 1 teaspoon and etc. Puree is 1 teaspoon to start with too.
I do give my girl water also so that she can pee pee. Anyway babies don't drink much water. Just give and they drink drink a bit will stop.

iwahb-we were @ifc around 6.30pm yesterday, n saw some of é older kids crying when é papa that arrived is not their papa...

btw there is a ifc facebook group, some of the parents share their experience there... u can join too...

Lynn, did your baby like the cereal? You not worried she may reject bm? I haven't start fm coz worried baby may reject bm.

Lynn, did your baby like the cereal? You not worried she may reject bm? I haven't start fm coz worried baby may reject bm.
My baby loves the cereal. I don't have bm to start with haha. So her cereal is mixed with existing milk. She eat until very happy yesterday. We have tired for like 1 week already.

hi mummies how are u all doing and busy with what? cheerywalnuts how is twinnies doing? circle your girl getting better?
sumiko next week sch holiday already can relax a bit. kitkats leh busy with your boy? back to work? dolly also back to work and so bb girl who take care your mil? come april the fair how many going. I somehow feel expo fair more crowded than suntec. so still thinking should I go. where are all our kahkis...miss u girls...

Iwantahealthybaby, my twinnes are fine. Just took rotavirus today. Gg to April fair to collect preorder items :D

LynnCandy, i read abt the cons of introducing solids before 6 mths.. as the babies organs have not fully mature to digest.. will introduce after 6 mths since mine tho considered full term but still 3wks earlier as compared to 40wks bb

Last edited:
yeah same same mine still like so small lol. when I try to get insurance they even say they are premmies. I need to go get gynae letter to say they are full term!

Cheery, mine was introduced by my pd to start but not like 1 bowl. It is slowly 1 teaspoon so that by 6 months they can really start eating.

I using nestle brand one given by my pd. Pd said although they put 6 months but like 5 months can start by 1 teaspoon just add to your existing milk. Nestle mine is the tin one plain if i am not wrong is rice. Don't buy those with fruits and veg in cereal one first. Then 5 months can slowly give like 1 teaspoon of puree a day. Slowly like maybe after 2 days increase 1 more teaspoon. Btw don't start with fruits first hor.
I read baby centre can start to introduce as my baby show interest in our food already. I just started not long whereby she is now 4.5 months.
Those babies with constipation try not to give like banana etc etc. Some guide for you all to read http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-solid-food_113.bc?showAll=true

Anyone knows if Nuk rubber latex teat can be sterilised using steam sterilisation?

My girl finished another 80 ml EBM before she slept. 2 hours after she finished 70 ml.

Nuk latex is it the yellow teat? Is yes then cannot. Just put in boiling water. Get the transparent teat can sterilise.

Anyone knows if Nuk rubber latex teat can be sterilised using steam sterilisation?

My girl finished another 80 ml EBM before she slept. 2 hours after she finished 70 ml.
hahaha... can feel your joy... yes.. u can sterilize nuk rubber teats.. but they do wear off faster then normal silicon teats due to the material, thus I change the teats quite often. so long baby drink well... juz bear w the higher cost ;p

hahaha... can feel your joy... yes.. u can sterilize nuk rubber teats.. but they do wear off faster then normal silicon teats due to the material, thus I change the teats quite often. so long baby drink well... juz bear w the higher cost ;p
Lyn, you are also using Nuk rubber teat for your baby?

So far no issue sterilising it?

My boy has been using nuk latex teats all the while. Kkh nurse told me that latex cannot be sterilize, just soak them in hot water. Sterilizing them will alter the material quality. Must change latex teats every month. Yes quite costly.
Silicon teats can be sterilized. Change every 3 months.

My boy has been using nuk latex teats all the while. Kkh nurse told me that latex cannot be sterilize, just soak them in hot water. Sterilizing them will alter the material quality. Must change latex teats every month. Yes quite costly.
Silicon teats can be sterilized. Change every 3 months.
Sumiko, thanks for the info! Noted.

Haha yeah, my buddy is even more pro by sterilising the giraffe than latex teat.
Today is the start of my tired night. Last time i look forward to Friday so can rest. Now Friday onwards to weekend is the take care full time of baby day. Totally no rest. But again i really very proud of sham like cheery, faithfully, snow, kitkats and etc. Very long never hear from kitkats.

I am actually very peifu with cheery. She can handle twins with her own hands and husband help. Maybe latching twins help a lot. I pump and pump and pump totally fighting for time to wash sterilise and feed.

Lynn its a learning process for me too. To know my babies character day by day. My tiredness are gone when they smile n talk to me. I learnt alot from them n is still ongoing. U can do it too.

Iwantahealthybaby, yap latching really helps alot. When i am all alone with them while my hubby go for his exercise workout, that's the best way to calm them down if they cranky. Playing with them n talking to them also helps. I peifu all working mums to work n handle babies.. Have to handle stress at work n home not easy.. Jiayou!!

Haha work also cannot keep taking leave then work also got work stress plus go home take care of baby a while then do housework only at night as weekend totally no time to do. But one thing good going to work at least can eat a proper meal at our own sweet time and go toilet to poo or pee. Full time sham really can't. Very peifu all sham mummies. Anyone going to the coming fair.

I hate pumping milk. I love breastfeeding so much. I used to be able to nap with my girl. Now I totally can't. My girl though she's slowly accepting bottle, she drinks really slowly. She took an hour to finish 100 ml ebm. And almost every time without fail she will fall asleep halfway drinking. I noticed she doesn't like frozen ebm.

Back