(2013) Anyone here has ever encountered a childcare centre asking you to withdraw your child just be

graphito

I have encountered this above-mentioned issue at this point of time & am very angry with the school in regards to this issue. I have asked many other parents, colleagues & friends, and many have feedbacked to me that the school has no right to "dismiss" a child or ask the parents to withdraw the child based on the above reasons. From the info I was given, if teachers in that school received well-training, they should be able to handle such kids in school.

To explain myself further, here's the "story"..

My younger son, Jonathan, has been attending LITTLE WORLD CHILD CARE (A MEMBER OF NEW ERA EDUCARE GROUP) in @ Blk 113 Rivervale Walk, Sengkang since 1 over year ago.

I've never really liked the teachers there much as I personally feel they do not take the time & effort to communicate much with parents, unlike the previous school my son attended which I really like the teachers there very much because they were very dedicated, very patient, very communicative & supportive.

Like I said, my son has been attending LITTLE WORLD childcare since 1 over year ago & everything seems fine until recently, the principal of the school contacted me & wanted to see me.

She & (the form teacher of my son's kindergarten class - who's a Chinese teacher) mentioned to me that they felt my son's different from the rest of his schoolmates.

They said that he has short attention span & while the teacher is teaching the class & making them do their classwork, my son gets bored easily & refuses to follow her instructions. He would do a little of the work, then he will leave the group to venture to other groups to "disturb" the kids in other classes.

He also has a tendency of "disturbing" other kids in other class groups so much so that their parents would complain that their kids were "bullied" by him.

These were the reasons that the principal gave me to withdraw my boy from the school.

She said that the parents mentioned that if I do not withdraw my boy from the school, they will withdraw theirs.

The above reasons were what she had given, to withdraw my boy from the school.

How true, I do not know, as I was not given any chance to speak to any of the parents she had mentioned. And she was not able to quote any of the children's names or parent's names.

After which, both the principal & form teacher advised me to bring my son to see a doc to "check up" on his behaviour.

Knowing my son as an active boy who's very normal with me & my family at home, I decided to bring him to see a child doctor at my nearby Sengkang Polyclinic to assure them.

I made an appointment & just brought him to see the doc today & according to the nurses & doc, he's perfectly normal.

I mentioned that I'm just afraid that since he's so active & has short attention span, he may have ADHD or something.

They told me if he has that, he will not be even be able to keep still or sit still all the time.

The only conclusion they came up with is that he could be just bored in school, with the school & the teachers who could be asking them to do the same things in school everyday.

And just to assure myself & the school, I have asked for a referral letter from the clinic to bring him to KKH for a follow up.

And also to prob. get the doctor to give me a written letter/report as a proof that my son is perfectly normal.

To be honest, I feel so indignant about this issue that after I have gotten all the reports from the docs to prove my son is normal, I'll want to write a complaint letter against the school for doing this to my son & me and causing us so much inconvenience!

What do you parents feel after hearing my woes?

And to add on, I've also seen with my eyes the teachers in the above childcare centre were very unprofessional in their behaviour towards the kids in the school..

I've seen the PRC teacher opening the school gate for my son to leave even before I have arrived at their doorstep & it happened more than 3-4 times!

I was nice enough not to tell her off not to do that cos' kids could dash out into the carpark area if I have not been there in time to stop him.

And I also saw a Malay teacher flared her temper at a little gal who was crying by throwing her schoolbag on the floor!

I also heard from my father-in-law that when he was peeking at my son thru the window of the school one day when he was eating his lunch that he actually picked up food which he dropped on the table to eat & there was not a single teacher who bothered to notice & stop him from doing so, until my father-in-law had to point it out to the teachers about it.

I believe there may be more not-that-nice stuff going on in that school which I & many other parents may not know of..

I take it that it will be a blessing in disguise for me to withdraw my son from that school & register him into a better school after all.

Hi Grace,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. You might want to write a formal email or letter of complaint to MSF as I am sure they will investigate the matter. If the school is so thoroughly negligent, then its best the authorities look into it, especially since the children will be the one to suffer.

Hi Grace

I actually just gone thru the same scenerio as you. My boy is exactly the same like your boy but no "bully" case so far. Just short attention span, no interest, don't listen to teacher instruction and move about in the centre.

My boy have speech delayed too and with this i actually am worried that he has autism, he has been scheduled for assessment.

When i enrolled my boy i have already told the principal that my boy is active etc... the principal said she will appoint an asst to look after him. But as time goes by, into about 4 months, she now says that there is only 1 teacher in charge of the 10 students in the class and the teacher is not able to handle my boy. Whenever the teacher feedback to me about my boy, she is always full of negative feedback... Previously when my boy was under another teacher, she is more experience and always assure me that everything is well under her hands. Too bad the teacher has resigned... and the new teacher is not able to handle and the principal was like telling me to have another asst just to look after my boy is not cost effective.

I have withdrew my boy since. I do know that my boy might or might not be different but for sure he is active and he really needs a teacher who is patient and loving. Sad to say not much are and having to look after 10 kids on their own, to be frank, its not easy too unless the teacher really have lots of love & patience.

I am now waiting for his assessment and sourcing around for a new school for him.

Hi Grace, as you've mentioned, it's probably a blessing in disguise to just withdraw your son from the childcare. Since there are already negative feelings all around, it will do your son more harm to continue with this school.

As for what is "normal" behavior, I have learnt it's very subjective. When my boy was in Pri 1, I was also told by his school teacher to bring him to see a psychiatrist as he was very slow in his work and needs help from his classmates to file his papers, etc. Therefore, he is "different" from his classmates. However, the psychiatrist assessed him to be normal.

Anyway, seeing a psychiatrist gave us the assurance that he is normal (although "slow"), so we didn't mind it terribly nor complain to the school.

I realise it is important to find acceptance whether it's the right school or the right class or right teacher. If your son's childcare can't handle him, then it's not the right school for him.

Just sharing my experience.

For my case, i also had some bad experience with the previous childcare centre that my kid went to. I did make a report to the msf via their hotline, but sad to say after hearing my story, the officer informed that they will only go down if we are comfy about them disclosing who the feedback was from.....i mean if you still want your child to continue in that childcare centre without further issues, would you let the centre know that you have made a "complain" against it? I think it would be good if you give the msf a call and see how they can help you in this case....anyway, i withdrew my kid in the end but yet to guve green lught to msf to launch a investigation visit cos still working out some insurance issues with the centre....

Hi,
I also facing childcare problem for my daugther, prev cc she able to talk or chit chat with teachers. but after change to thcc totally never talk to teacher coming to 1 year. i trying to encourage her must communicate with teacher. I found out, teacher there very inpatient, lack of passion to kids.
Recently my girl hitting me, i shock about this behavior, after heared she sharing about her classmate, notice there is 2 kids always hit her teacher and teacher offer them biscuit. this is not correct way to discipling kid by rewading noughty kid?? my learn from school that must nought or hitting to show what you want. like the kids they want biscuit but never talk to teacher just hitting the teacher used both hand continuesly then teacher will give biscuit. so she tot by this way then the kid will be quite.

i so worry this kind of bad behavoir and my girl wll follow even i have explainded to her many time that is not correct and unacceptanble behavior. be she everyday facing the same kids doing same.

shall i changed? next year will be K2 last year of preschool, alot ppl fedback that they hv their own friends better don't change cc. but with this enviroment how?

Sorry this post is dated but i like to share that we are facing the same problem with my son's childcare.
He is in this neighbourhood childcare named BumbleBee in woodlands.

Teacher and principal kept requesting to meet us and complained about my son. They said he is disruptive, hyper active and needs serious medical care. When i tried to clarify and said that he is naughty, the principal kept correcting me and said: "hyper active, not naughty". It has caused us so much stress and i even started judging my son thinking he is really sick.

Last resort we went to KKH for diagnosis. Child Development doctor said that there is nothing wrong with him and a 3 yr old boy cannot be diagnosed as hyper active. She suggested therapy for certain behaviour issue if we really like to. We went and the therapist found him perfectly normal as well. She suggested speaking to the child care centre which we declined.

There is something wrong with how childcare centres are now. They are just too lazy to invest effort into any child. They expect conformity and nothing else.

Is there any way we can get some agency to stop them from such harmful accusation?

Last edited:

Back