(2013/09) September 2013

Now at 13 weeks I'm crazy over salad. Especially tomatoes and cucumbers and now strawberries... Hope I only have healthy cravings this time! Oily food gives me nausea still. Had not touched fast food since pregnant.

Hi mummies! Can add me too? [email protected]
My edd is 27Sep and this is my #2
happy.gif
Pls pardon my lack of posts but I've really benefitted alot from all your sharing here
happy.gif

Hi not superwoman, do you prepare your own salads? Do exercise caution if you're eating salad outside as it could contain bacteria as many people handle the raw uncooked salad, best to eat only self-prepared and thoroughly washed ones. I'm also a salad fan but stopped eating it outside. Also be careful of some salad sauces/dressing, as they may contain raw uncooked egg white.

Hi viiv, when I told my gynae my concern of drinking only sugary drinks now as plain water made me nauseas/vomit, she told me not to worry now. Even advise me to take ribena...haa. So I guess 1st trimester anything goes as long as we can keep it down.

morning mummies!
happy.gif

not superwoman, i do not take raw veg now, becos of the bacteria.. just be safe and wash veg thoroughly ya...

ardente, same here.. i used to love garlic, now i cant. i cant take my fav fresh milk, garlic, scallops, sesame oil.

Enjoy qiqi! i also need a babymoon soooon......

Not superwoman, I'm going to see prof Ananda for genetic scan at around week 14-16 then see what he says abt amnio. If need be I will do. Amnio is quite safe in my opinion as Iong as find a good doctor to do. My Gynae success rate with amnio is perfect. But dreading to take the hormone pills after amnio cos they make me cry and cry.

Healthy babies to all of us.

hey mummies, i finally revealed myself again.. cos last week was a nightmare for me la.. Big boss came dwn from Swiss then have series of whole day meeting + entertaining him for dinner etc... I was totally shag out lo..
ANyway, thanks for sharing on the breast pumps information.
happy.gif
I talked to my bestie, and she is willing to lend me her Medela dual pump. Yeah, dun have to buy!
As i thought my MS was slowly leaving me, but it just comes back again silently.. Haiz.. My baby is turning 11 weeks tml, so hopefully my MS will soon go away.
Tml is my 2nd appt at KKH, but doc did not mention anything abt scans etc leh.. so i think i wun be doing the OSCARS scan so soon ba.. not sure..

Yan Yan, my email add is [email protected] (name: Sharon lim)
Pls kindly add me ya.

Hi mummies,

Just had a checkup last sat and baby is 9 weeks old. That means I almost confirmed has a baby boy this time :D

Hopefully it is true..

Hi Mummies, if you interested in joining the Sept Mummies group in FB, please kindly add me at [email protected] or search for Zhuang Yan Yan.

Please also note that if you are jus a slient reader, please dun add as the main purpose of this group is to share information and make frens with all the Sept Mummies.

Btw i not able to come in here often so please add me in order for me to add u in the group ya.

Thanks and have a nice Monday ahead!! Cheers!!

yup im not doing oscar. with #1 i knew i will do amnio at 16 weeks so i skipped oscar too.

oscar is done around week 10 to 12 (i think), so can only check for thickness of neck, spine etc. it gives a prelim assessment on down syndrome etc.

genetic scan is done a little later at 14 to 16 weeks, so it is more detailed and can check for structural issues (heart problems, kidneys etc) on top of down syndrome etc.

and prof ananda is prob the best in SG (his skill plus the clarity of his machine) so i would say he is better than the other sonographers doing detailed scans. in fact he is so good at it, he advocates against oscar and amnio.

Hi twenty seven and viiv, yeah I make my own salads ( and also take only subway sandwiches) so I think its safe. Subway tends to sell out fast, and always see them changing the ingredients so I know that is safe. No salad bars bcos you don't know who or what had been poking those veggies at the open counter!!!

Hi tangerinz, good luck for the amnio coming up! If your #1 heart problem is not inherited from parents, chances for #2 will be low. Most of these problems are not directly inherited but usually some genetic errors or other factors that happen after conception. Heart problems seem to run in my family too, but all of the lived healthy lives
happy.gif

On the other hand I am worried about developmental problem. Over new year I saw a lot of my cousins' children appear to be a bit slow ( not that I am saying my child is fast). I mean walk at 2, and at 3 still speaking in single words. Not toilet trained etc... A few younger cousins like a bit strange too. Oh dear

I have a lot of friends who did not do Oscar scan too. They say no matter what they will still give birth to the bb. I was hesitant, but wanted a sound of mind so went ahead with the scan. Sonographer says scan looks fine. Waiting for my review this wed to know the results.
happy.gif

Hi all

Havent been reading for 3 weeks and there's so much to catch up on.

Anyway, it was kinda tough period coz i had spotting and had to hv a hormones jab at 9 weeks n hormone pills for 2 weeks.

By last Mon, i was ok n scan at gynae was ok. Sceduled Oscar at TMC last fri. I was asked to walk in at 8.30am and i had to wait for 2hrs! Even went across the street for breakfast n came back to continue the wait. Parking fee was $12 for 3 hrs.

Anyway, this morning my gynae called me in to see her. My results came back positive. Although there are chances of false-positive, we didnt wanna take the risk n i'd scheduled amnio on 18th mar.

#1 was a breeze. Thus, this came as a blow to me. Now i just hv to wait.

Btw, we did a couple of scans at my gynae today n the measurement is abt .2 which is ok. Not sure why the scan at TMC shows .37 which is in the risk group. Any idea?

gene... sorry to hear that. oscars can really give strange results.

scans are very subjective. different machines, different skill of sonographer. maybe that's why you get different results are different places.

if you have made up your mind to do amnio, great. i've been through it twice and it's not as scary or dangerous as what the literature says. as long as you do lots of bed rest, not carry heavy things and take the hormone pills, everything will be fine.

however, you may wish to consider getting another scan done (genetic scan) if you wish to try to avoid amnio. search SMH and you will find a lot of positive reviews about prof ananda.

stay positive in the meantime!
happy.gif

Hi tangerinez, thanks for sharing your info on prof Ananda. Is he your regular gynae (is he one?) or do you just go to him for the detailed scans?

Apologies but I may have missed some of your posts, but basically are you skipping the Oscar and instead, doing a genetic scan and amnio test instead? Is this because the combined genetic scan and amnio result is more accurate than just doing oscars alone?

May I also ask, any reason for your decision to take these scans with prof Ananda? ie any risk factors etc or is it a decision made purely based on getting the most accurate scan results? Sorry for asking so much or if the questions are too personal, I'm a first time mtb, really clueless! Since my gynae asked me to do oscars, I thought just follow, without researching the available alternatives.

Another question, are you also planning to do the week 20 detailed scan with prof ananda?
Can I also have an estimate how much does the genetic scan costs? Thank you!

Hi girls. I went for my appt on Fri, baby is at 9.5 weeks. Saw the heart beat of my little beanie...my Oscar is in 3 weeks time at TMC. Just made the appointment.

MS was really bad during the chines new year that lead to gastric with diaherroa. After which it subsided but now seems to be coming back again. I vomit when brushing teeth and esp when its close two hours after my first meal...On man!!! I hate this feeling and hate eating so freqently.
Hope it passes soon.

viiv, most pple do oscars because that is the common thing to do. so there is nothing wrong with doing oscars.

for me, my hubby family and my family has history of genetic issues. so we knew from day 1 we want to do amnio. since already doing amnio, no point waste money to do oscars. (yes amnio is more accurate than oscars but amnio carries a 1% risk of miscarriage. oscars is non invasive)

so we did amnio at week 16. all clear. super happy.

week 20 did detailed scan at TMC (where my gynae was). found out my son has a heart defect. world came crashing down.

went home and had an emergency family meeting. hubby's auntie is a nurse who happens to know prof ananda. she told us he is the best in scanning. so we made urgent appointment to see him. our objective was: to verify the detailed scan done at TMC, PLUS find out if there are any other issues which TMC may have missed out.

ok... my boy's heart condition came with a possibility of having diGeorge syndrome too. and prof ananda skills is good enough to clear this just by scan alone. from prof ananda's scan, he confirmed no other major defects. no diGeorge. just the original heart defect that was detected at TMC.

i went to see prof ananda mainly for a piece of mind. i want to know exactly what i am dealing with before i decide whether to bring the baby to term or abort it.

did a repeat amnio again to clear diGeorge (yes despite prof ananda assuring us. we were too distraught and wanted to know for sure)

for this pregnancy i will do genetic scan with prof ananda at week 14 to 16 (depending on his advice). he is not my gynae. i will just go to him only for this scan. the last genetic scan i did at $320 to $400 (can't remember exactly cos i did sooooo many different scans for my boy's heart)

detailed scan with TMC, still must do at week 20. i overheard that it is compulsory to do.

for you viiv, don't be so worried. most people have healthy babies. it is OK to take the normal route and go for oscars (unless you have medical history like my family and opt for amnio straight away). don't worry ok...
happy.gif

hi ladies, sorry been busy just read thru few weeks of thread....

Saw that some of your packages are quite cheap... I've just got the package info from my gynae.

Its $850 from week 20.... very ex right? Gosh...... would doing 'ala carte' be more affordable you think?

:p

Hi Tangerinez, thanks for sharing. Hope your boy is growing up well and healthy. Your bb in tummy will be fine and healthy too.
happy.gif

Hi confused first timer, my gynae haven't told me his package yet. Hope it will be ard $800. Think package is cheaper than ala carte, coz last trimester will see gynae more frequent.

hi ann, thanks a lot. yep he is a healthy and super active 11 month boy now. very smiley and cheeky too (well, all parents think their babies are cute lol). he may not be able to go to army or play rugby etc but im sure he will find other happiness in life

Hi,

Sorry to intrude...

I have 4 USS tickets for sale which are expiring on 02Mar13 (this sat).
Letting go at SGD65 per tkt (SGD240 if u take all 4 tkts).
Pls PM me if u're keen, thks!!

Hi Tangerinez

So do you suggest that i go straight to prof ananda instead of amnio? Can you tell me more abt this genetic scan?

gene... i cannot guarantee that if yo go to genetic scan, you can skip amnio.

in the best case scenario, if you go to genetic scan and prof ananda clears baby from DS or other syndrome, then u can skip amnio.

in the middle case scenario, after genetic scan, prof ananda says there is slight chance of DS, he will still advise you to go for amnio.

in the worse case scenario, after genetic scan, prof ananda says confirm DS, then u dun even need amnio to confirm.

genetic scan buys you some hope. especially good for those who worry abt the risks of amnio.

it can be done as early as week 14 whereas amnio should do as late as possible to prevent miscarriage. (i did my amnio at week 16. which week are you in for your amnio appointment?)

genetic scan is like detailed scan. similar to oscar scan too. it's just a scan. except that prof ananda is very skilled in it and his machine is clearer than the ones at TMC. because it is done later than oscars, there are more things to scan and will take a longer time.

i suggest you give prof ananda office a call, explain your situation to the nurse, and let her tell you more? then you can make a better decision.

this is his website http://www.ssr.com.sg/frameall.htm.
click on facilities and it will list the various scans that he does and what purpose they serve.

the number to call is 6333 8621

good luck dear! have faith!

confused, package is confirmed cheaper cos package will include consultation, scan, urine test. if you try to calculate by dividing the package price over the no. of consultation. like mine is $650 for 11 consultation so each consultation is already $59 (package price).

if non package, the shortest consultation already cost $50 and the scan is also $50 and urine test is $10. so package is definitely more worth it.

For my gynae, I have decided not to take her package as its $1,000+gst from Wk13 onwards. Very expensive. Now per visit is $120+, so I will need to clock at least 9 visits in order to break even. Plus these visits are like 3-4 weeks apart until closer to due date then 1 week. So I calculated and doubt I'll exceed 9 visits to benefit!

Hmm I tot Gynae packages will include some other stuff towards the last trimester like CTG scan, and another growth scan or something? I remembered my Gynae package starts from week 20 but I only took it up at week 24 and it was still worth it cos of the scans included.
But maybe diff Gynae diff practice.

I just seen my gyane and got his package - $642 from week 16.

Package includes
- all scheduled consultations
- blood pressure checks
- urine tests for glucose & protein
- ultrasound scans done in clinic
- aminotic fluid assessment at term

Estimated will still need visit another 9 times ($90 per visit x 9 = $810), so package seems cheaper.

Wow its cheap !
my gynae charge $850 for his package,
i think include consultation, ultrasounds, Vitamins....
but i am v comfortable with him... so i think i will just take it

The frequency of visits are usually every 4 weeks fr week 12-28, then once every 2 weeks till week 36, then weekly thereafter. This makes a total of 13 visits if counting all the way till week 40.

For me I won't do oscar test. In my opinion it just waste of money since we are keeping the baby anyway.
But I am still young only 28 this year so I guess considered very low risk.

My gyne charges $550 for his package. This includes the ultrasounds, consultations and vitmains. Can start package at any time. Per visit is $170.

Gene n Tangerinez,
My Oscar results are also poor. My NT is measured at 2.3mm, considered high, over the margin. Waiting for blood biochemistry but not optimistic about it.

Really devastated. Unsure if I should do cvs first or wait to do amnio? Any advice?

Hi Hui, you can just add or amend the info in the spreadsheet. It will auto save by itself.

Hi Anne, your package is cheaper than mine.
happy.gif

Hi Priscilla, sorry to hear that. Maybe you can consider a second opinion from prof ananada as per mentioned by tangerinez. My sis told me there might be false positive from Oscar scan, you can ask your gynae for advice and wat you should do next.

Hi Priscilla

I also heard that many Oscar results are not accurate.... maybe you should seek second opinion...

Hi Ann

thanks !!! i will add in...

Priscilla, so sorry to hear it. This is why I dislike Oscar. So many false positives and make mummies worry for nothing.

If you ask me I'll go to prof ananda first. Cvs benefit is you can get results earlier but the miscarriage risk is higher. Not many Gynae can perform cvs, it's harder to do than amnio. So why not try scan first. If still not conclusive then consider the invasive cvs or amnio

Dun despair. There are many many false positives. Yours will be fine.

Hihi,

Sorry to disturb.
I would like to recommend my CL aunty yen ying , she is a very friendly , clean ,patient n helpful lady, she can cook n she love baby. Interested can SMS me Vic 93368616. I'm helping her to post because she is my best CL .Cheers

Back