(2013/09) September 2013

Hi Groovy, hope its a snake boy for you this round
happy.gif

Hi mummies, I am down with a bad sore throat and fly. Any idea if I can take either clarinase & Zyrtec to self medicate? I am currently in my 8th week.

Hi mummies.

Saw my gynea today again. Finally saw baby heartbeat. I had a really late ovulation, late 12 days. Now baby only 6.5 weeks. Edd shifted to 13Oct.

What a relief! Hopefully everything will smooth sailing.

Sharon, I think its around $350-$400 for the Ameda Breast Pump. I bought it many years ago when I had have my 2nd child.

Thanks Candy, is it possible to get it over the counter or do I need to see a doctor for this? I have a terrible flu bug and watery eyes too.
sad.gif

mine is Ameda dual pump too.. The price is the cheapest compare to other dual breastpump.
Unless if u buy from the US, should be about the same..

It's a hate and love relationship now with my Ameda dual pump. Becoz with baby #2 I often get milk blister/blocked duct and Ameda pump doesn't seem to be able to clear them off.

I also have 2 Avent single pump that I use as a dual pump. Compare to Avent single pump I still prefer ameda, becoz Avent is very easily spoilt! This time around, my Avent spoiled, no more warranty, and the Philips guy said they do not have sparepart for it, so must buy a new set!
Really not recommended.

But in the end my hubby managed to fix it himself. hehe. Save $$.

Don't buy Pigeon electric breastpump the one that cost $100 only, becoz it doesn't work like an electric pump but works like manual pump still need to keep pressing the machine..

Price wise:
Ameda about $350
Avent bundle single pump is $219. If buy 2 sets should be $440 but take note it only come with 1 year warranty and once spoilt must buy new set.

Medela, if not wrong local set for dual pump is $600++

My Avent pump sucks! Spoilt twice in a year. At first they replace both sets, but later they do not replace anymore when it spoilt the 2nd time. They only open and fix.

Then when warranty ends, it spoilt again, and they said they did not provide any servicing or service part becoz ONCE IT OPENED THEY CANNOT GUARANTEE IT WILL COME BACK AS NORMAL! See they contradict themselves already why they open and not replacing mine when it spoilt 2nd time..

Hi ladies! Just back from gynae visit. I'm 9 weeks now and baby is growing well. Can see the feutus and hear heartbeat. Going for my OSCAR first week march! ;)

Hi all, did my NT scan and blood test tdy. The NT scan and normal ultrasound scan seems the same but the sonographer took very long. Think about 20mins. Pressed really hard on tummy to scan and moved from left to right, top to down on tummy. Hurts when sonographer pressed too hard, had to tell her I feel pain.
sad.gif
Saw bb sucking thumb and kicking during the scan. So cute, how I hope someone can invent a portable ultra scan, then we can see bb anytime, no need wait for gynae visit. NT scan for bb was good, need to wait 2-3 days for blood result and next week for the results review.
happy.gif

Wow, didn't know breast pump is so expensive.
sad.gif

I'm thinking of gg to the baby fair, but my sis says its too early. Unless I want to start buying bb stuff now.
sad.gif
she says every qtr have one. So I probably skipping this week baby fair coz Natasha fair is there too. Think expo will be super crowded. I have signed up for the baby congress on 10th march.
happy.gif
hope it will be beneficial to first time mum.
happy.gif

Blueberi, yeah, good to hear that your bb is growing well.
Hope all our bb will grow well and born healthy.
happy.gif

Can't wait to do my next scan and see bb again.

Mardhyna>> I don't think Clarinase is safe for pregnancy. Zrytec -- MAYBE. The safest medication for runny nose during pregnancy is piriton. You can get this from the pharmacist without prescription. For sore throat, you can take Danzen -- you can get this off the shelves from the pharmacy..check out the shelves at the pharmacy section.

BluBeri>> Good to hear that your bb is growing well! I can understand your anxiety as I was in the same position too. Wasn't able to see my bb during the 1st visit, only could see yolk and gestational sac. Gynae said to come back one week later, and by then, must see bb if not no good. Then I started scaring myself by reading up stuff on the internet on blighted ovum etc. In my case, I think we conceived this bb on the very last day me and hubbie had intercourse, so my EDD is 30 Sep.

Sharon>> I used Medela PISA (pump in style) for both my #1 and #2. It's a good pump as it has a very strong and lasting motor, and it is very effective in drawing out milk..even better than the Medela FS (freestyle) according to the lactation consultant in TMC. The down side of Medela PISA is that it is very heavy, much heavier compared to FS. Most of my frens use either Medela PISA or FS. Btw, PISA is recommended by the lactation consultants in TMC.

I've not used Ameda or Avent before. What I heard from frens is that Ameda spoils quite easily. As for Avent, I heard that the manual pump is quite good.

Actually, I think that overall, our babies are the best pump. For my #1, I exclusively pumped (i.e. I didn't latch bb) and for #2, I did a combination of latch and pump. For me, I'm the type that is super prone to blocked milk ducts, mastitis (i.e. infection of the breast / milk ducts) and I find that even a good pump like PISA sometimes cannot clear the blockage. But my #2 is a wonder pump - I only need to latch her for 10 min and she can clear off all the blockages that I've been trying ways and means to clear on my own (i.e. massage the blocked age, squeeze, pump etc.)

I bought Medela, cannot remember name but it was single electric pump. I got it during mothercare sale. Think it was 30% off, which made it a good buy for light user like me, or mums planning to supplement with formula. It was easy to carry around as all the parts fit into a small box.

Usually I feed on 1 side for at least 20 mins then switch. I did not pump after feeding but only when I returned to work or weaning at 6 mths. Only pump every 4-6 hours, bcos my boy only likes latch on milk.

Arugh, think my MS returning after a few days break. How annoying. Now I feel tired like whole day even after sleeping whole night.

Thanks Anastasia!
happy.gif
will secretly do so.. lol..

Ferend & Ann...hearing so also bring tears to my eyes..wish to see that magical moment soon too!

same as Ferend, bearie and Rapple.. i woke up 4am plus and couldnt sleep back till 6am plus.

Bluberi! great to hear that!
happy.gif

actually.. my sister used medela too so prolly will use same as her.. however she got clogged milk solids (i think thats what Anastasia called as mastitis) and have to take antibiotics then her son cannot take her milk.. last for 3 weeks thus, her son got to feed on formula.

Twentyseven>> Yes, need to take antibiotics when kena mastitis. BUT, the GP should have given breastfeeding safe antibiotics (e.g. amoxillin), so can continue to bf even when on medication. With antibiotics and panadol, the high fever will subside in about 2-3 days, the pain will take about 1 wk to go away, but the milk supply will drop and will take another 2 weeks to build up. Super sian when kena mastitis!

Me used Medela PISA for #1. It is a good pump but way overpriced in SG. If you have lobang to get it from US.. you can save quite abit (at least 30-50%). However, the adapter is of a different voltage so need a stepdown transformer or get a local adapter.

If you are going to get a pump.. try not to get a single pump. Last time i started out with medela swing (single pump).. while pumping one side, the other side keep leaking.. so mafan!! Plus it takes double the time to pump.

ArdenteJac>> Totally agree with you! Best to get double pump, so that we can save time and we also won't waste milk. I'm also using the US set PISA and I use a local adapter. I've tried using the transformer before but it tends to burn out very easily, so local adaptor is much better.

For first-time mummies, when you breastfeed, usually both your breasts will let-down (i.e. release milk) at the same time. So if you use only a single pump, one side gets pumped and the milk gets stored, but the other side is leaking away and the milk is wasted!

Sharon, I used medela freestyle for my #2. It's very convenient coz handsfree but the cons are there are many parts to be fixed n I find it a hassle. I got it real cheap at $300 only as I was at US at that time before I conceived #2. You can also get it from tan leng leng spree. The Px difference is abt $300 between US set n Singapore set, but US set no warranty that's the catch. So far my US set has no prob after 1 yr . Anyway, in the end I used back my faithful avent manual coz it's faster to pump manual for me n I got no time to fix the parts for freestyle . I use a breast shield to collect the milk from the other side as what Anastasia mentioned, the letdown is on both sides. I will use back avent manual, it's really very gd if u dun mind manual. I yield more with it compared to freestyle and many if my mummy frens are also using it.

Not superwoman, congrats so fast can baby kick. My baby still trying to break thru my layers of fat. No one can see I am Preg even though I am entering 12 wks already!

Actually I am kinda worried also, it's my #3 and yet tummy not showing, very weird, for my #2 think it was so obvious at 3 mths. I keep thinking if the show "I didn't know I was pregnant" will my tummy be as small as them?

R u too busy at home n hv no time to go shopping? Why not do online shopping.. I hv found a great place selling cute bb clothings & products from Fisher price, Lamaze etc in facebook with great prices.. . Come on in to join the fb n shop.. Is always good to hv another choice to shop.. saving is very impt for us especially standard living so high now..
No harm to take a look..
Visit www.facebook.com/precioustotcloset today...or search for Precious Tots Closet (bear icon) fr facebook to find out more.

Hi all, back fr gynae visit. Baby grew fr 1.27cm to 2.37cm in 13days. I'm booked for OSCAR on 14 March.

Got the package prices fr my gynae and prices seem abit on the steep side? $1200 for 12 visits starting fr week 12, only includes consultation, urine test and scans, excludes vitamins etc. There are 2 more entry points at week 16 ($1100 for 11 visits) and week 20 ($1000 for 10 visits).

Regarding Oscar test, how long does it take for results to be out? My doc told me that most join package at week 16 after Oscar result is out, but some at week 20 after detailed scan.

Went for my 2nd visit at 9 weeks. Baby is now 2.5cm and heartbeat is 180bpm. Can see it kicking even though limbs not fully developed at this stage. Gynae says everything is right on track.

Next visit at 12 weeks but I'm not doing oscars.

wow tangerinez, can see movements? im also at 9weeks and heart rate 180. but i cant really see bb moving leh. hahaha. i tell my hubby doc needs to upgrade his equipment. so blur how to see. hahaha!!

hui, i think it should be ok to take that soup. yest i did ask my doc what can be taken and what not. he say as long not raw food, everything can be taken in moderation (from medical point of view). however, he say if i wan him to advice me from TCM point of view, he will not be able to comment. hahahaha

Hmm I can't really see movement too, slightly disappointed! I think scanning via abdomen also produces a more grainy image as compared to via vaginal probe, so can't see so clearly.

Does OSCAR scanning take a long time to complete?

my gynae says oscar takes about 20mins and could be longer. bcos really need baby's cooperation to be in the right position for proper measurements to be taken.

tangerinez, mine was 160bpm... lol.. amazing hb.. so fast can see kicking!
happy.gif

hui, my fav still lotus root pork ribs peanuts soup, but my mum cooks, i dont eat outside for this soup becos i do not know if they put herbs.

i feel so sleepy at work after lunch...

Dear mummies,

I'm from Jan 13 MTB forum group. I have an extra bottle of Clarins stretch mark oil - Huile Tonic Body Treatment Oil 100ml, retailing at $78. It is brand new in box, not opened before and purchased in late 2012. My hubby bought an excess bottle and hence unused. Am looking to sell it at $65. Self collect in Tampines hdb or Tanjong pagar mrt. Please PM me if you are interested.

Ya I think my Gynae machine not bad. And she takes very nice snapshots of the scans. Always make sure it's centered and clear. She will explain whether the head is in good shape, which parts are the limbs, point to you the flickering heart, etc.

She's cute. I told her I was worried cos MS reduced. She said oh, I get worried for my patients when I hear that too. Then proceeded to say touch wood.

Viiv, mine was tummy scan and stil quite clear.

bearie, when i went for oscar test at TMC that day, there were alot of pple. luckily my gynae made appt for me.

maybe you can try to make appt thru ur gynae? cos normally ur gynae will tell u when to take oscar test. so then they will make the appt with the dept.

Bearie, when are you planning to have Oscar? My appt for Oscar at TMC was booked for me by my clinic just this morning, for mid-March at 12weeks.

my gynae ask me make myself leh. hahaha. cos im going to melbourne between 8 - 14 mar.

the range that doc gave me is 05 - 19 mar. i guess i will try calling again tomorrow.

wonder anywhere else can do this test?

bearie, i didnt compare package prices. i went to my gynae when i first discovered i was pregnant and i just stick to him. i think comfort level is more important. me also lazy to go source for other package prices and do comparison.

i just called TMC again, someone else pick up and can squeeze me in on the 15th! yay! wonder why they so double standard.

Aiyo! I wanted 15 March at first and they said not available! Faint haha.

Enjoy your holiday bearie! Will be quite some time before we can take another holiday after baby is born.

hi gals, my clinic just called me to inform me abt the results of my oscar test (blood test). my baby is in the low risk. YEAH!!!!

also, they have fixed my week 20 detailed scan on 18 april. so efficient.

haha. so double standard!! aiyo! maybe u call again will have! LOL!

yes so looking forward. i hope i still get to travel one more time before deliver. hahaha.

Back