(2012/04) Apr 2012

Kexie: During my last visit to the PD, he told me that there's now a new school of thoughts that advocates weaning from 4 mth but I didn't ask him why. I was too excited about being able to embark on a new phase with my 5-mth-old
happy.gif
Does any mummy know why we can wean from 4 mth nw?

Dancingqueen,

I read from the medical book given by Thomson Medical and it state tt : Babies thrive well on breast milk or formula alone for the first 6 months. However, they undergo growth spurts when they are at 3 weeks, 6 weeks and 3 months during which their appetites may increase. If , after 6 months, your baby seems to be more demanding and unsatisfied during these periods, it is time to introduce solids. However,different babies wean off milk at different times.WHO recommends that 6 months is a good time to introduce solids. Breast milk provides adequate nourishment for the first 6 months. The baby's swallowing mechanism is not developed till around 3 months. All weaning must be done gradually and progressively.

Signs that baby is ready to try solids
1.He can sit (with support) and can hold his head and neck up well . 2. His birth weight has doubled. 3. He's interested in what you are eating and may even try to grab food from your plate. 4. He can keep food in his mouth rather than letting it dribble out. 5. He shows signs of being hungry for more than he's getting by clamoring for more when his bottle is empty or wanting to nurse more often.

Same as u, I also curious y mummies wean from 4 mths nw.

Hi trx,

My boy sleep on sarong during the day but for nite time I put him inside his baby cot. I will but two small bolster at his side n those beanie bag on his stomach. I don't rock or pat him to sleep. Just put him on the bed, then slowly tap him to sleep. Then his last feed for the nite will be ard 11 plus even though he didn't wake up to cry for milk. Then his first feed will be ard 5plus am. Another thing is before I tap him to sleep, I will give him some milk. Some babies just need to hv the milk taste before they doze off even if they are not hungry.

Kexie: My husband reminded me why the PD encouraged us to wean at 4th mth liao! PD said the 4th to 6th month is a window period whereby babies can adapt to food better.

Hi dancingqueen, my pd is asking me to wean my boy in two wis' time. He will be 4.5 months old by then. I am still thinking if I should. but seems like what your pd said might be true. From 4 to 6 months is more like a "testing" period for our babies.

Should I wait till 6 mths or start now?

Hi miss freedom, I started offering baby rice to my baby after PD gave us the go-ahead. My baby just turned 5 mth then. If you are comfortable weaning your baby now, you can try giving him something simple too. I'm gonna offer mine apple soon. He's been on baby rice for over a week. I think he's bored liao :p

Kexie,

Thks for yr advice and sharing. Is fiso comfort a formula? My pd advise against giving medicine. My boy does not throw up but hv heartburn when he swallows the milk

Hi Ruhee,

Yup, friso comfort is also a formula milk. They call it anti-reflux formula. It is a formula with a thickener incorporated for infants with reflux. It reduces episodes of regurgitation commonly associated with gastroesophageal reflux (GER) after feeding. U can get them from all the supermart. U can ask your PD for advice before purchasing.

Hi babysean, u can try the formula on your baby also. Just mix wif the formula u r giving nw. If your bb is drinking 120ml , then 2 scoops each from each formula. Still the same thing, check wif your PD first if u are not too sure wht can give a not.

Oh yes, since your PD are against giving medication, maybe you can bring him to KKH or TMC to seek 2nd opinion. I mean we adult also cannot stand the feeling of heartburn, so I can imagine the pain he is feeling. If he swallows milk n he feel heartburn, how will he feels when he starts on semi-solid food. Is best to get him cure.

kexie, you want me to try friso comfort?

For the past 2 days, my gal has been pooing 5 to 6 times a day. Texture a bit more watery than normal and yellowish in color. But qty is bit by bit. It doesn't seem to be diarrhea. Not sure is it due to her running nose or she's teething.

Hi babysean , cos u mentioned that your gal will spit out milk even like 1 or 2 hrs after feed. That's what happened to my boy, tt is y my PD recommend me to mix his FM wif friso comfort. U can give it a try if u r comfortable wif it.

People say bb gal will start teething earlier than bb boy. I don't think is caused by her running nose unless she is on medication which I think most PD will not prescribe her flu med when she is less than 6 mths old. Just monitor n hope she recover soon.

Baby Sean: my baby oso same. Mine started having abit watery & sticky yellow poo since last thurs and initially for the 1st few days, diarrhea goes up to 5 times a day, after giving medicine it still continues but lessen to 3 times a day, went to consult 2 diff PD and 1 of them said teething might be a cause. Yest her pd carry on with the 5in 1 jab & she's having fever now.,

Btw 1st pd I consult was dr Teo fr baby bear, he asked me to stop bf completely & changed my baby formula to cows milk w/o lactose, but it doesn't seem to help much so I rule out the possibility that she's lactose intolerant.. dr teo oso says if by 1 week still haven stop, gotta collect urine n test if it's urine infection.
After consulting 2nd pd yest at Sbcc, I was told we can carry on as per normal, Not much possibility caused by urine infection as urine infection will have little bit of fever.

Today im back to breastfeeding, will monitor n see if the diarrhea gets worst anot.,

Oh ya... Another thing I forget to mention is tt friso comfort can only mix wif FM. If you are giving your bb BM, I think is another different formula. This is what mentioned to me by his PD.

Baby2008,

How come this dr teo ask u to stop BF completely??Bb on BM won't hv lactose intolerant except those on FM. BM is still the best for Bb. Plus if your bb if having lactose intolerant, u should give soya formula.

My Bb PD normally won't jab the bb if he is not feeling well. Cos we won't know the fever is cause by the jab or other thing. When bb start teething, their body temp will be slightly high, warm warm one but no fever. Then no medication will be
given for diarrhea cos she say tt they will recover by themselves. As long as bb is drinking well n still as active as before she will try not to prescribe any medication. Unless there is sign tt he is dehydrating

I think your baby is teething now, just monitor n see how. Hope she recover soon.

I'm giving my gal flu medication since tue. But this is not the first time she's taking it, prev when she takes it, no freq loose poo.

now that she's older, she seldom spit milk already.

her pd also dr teo, maybe will bring her see him and c what he say.

mummy_baby2008, so ur bb still poo 3 times a day now? what type of med is given ah? very diff to feed them med.

kexie, so prev when ur bb teething, also has loose stools but u nvr give med? how long did it last? i also find that her body temp a bit higher but no fever type. overall, she's ok drinking and sleeping. except bum a bit red now due to the freq poo.

BabySean, I have a 20 mths old boy who is still teething nw. When his little tooth coming out, the gum will look red n swollen. Then he will have loose yellow stools about 4 to 5 times a day. It lasted about 3 to 4 days. Nope, never give med at all.

My youngest one yet to start teething but I think soon cos he start to salivate a lot recently.

I guess diff PD work diff way. Mine will not give flu med to baby below 6mths. Only give the nasal drop n some antibiotic . I rem when my elder one hving running nose n fever when he is 5 mths plus I bring him to see his PD. She refused to give flu med saying is not gd for him to take flu med at such young age. Tt nite his fever shoot up, I bring him to KKH, I also requested flu med from the doctor there. They also refused to prescribe flu med to him. Just the nasal drop n sterimar to clean the nose.

Baby Sean: My baby had diarrhea for 2.5 weeks. Guess it was stomach flu. We called up the PD to check if baby warranted any medical attention but hsago monitor first. He advised that as long as baby was not running a fever, was feeding well and could play and laugh, then it was ok. He suggested giving probiotic drops first. If still having loose stools, then stop bm or usual fm and offer soy formula. We did all that bec baby was his usual self except that he continued passing out watery stool bit by bit. In addition, I gave baby more water to drink just to be doubly sure he's not dehydrated. His diarrhea eventually stopped after 2.5 weeks. He even gained 500g during that period. Important not to have weight loss as that's a sign of dehydration.

My gal having diarrhea since last wed, so today is 1 wk already. Now she's still pooing after each feed but the texture wise not watery already. Also collected her urine to send for test due to prolong diarrhea. Has changed her milk to Similac Total Comfort. Still waiting for her to stop pooing after each feed.

dancingqueen: Diarrhea for 2.5wks! How's his bum? Nvr red & raw? My gal's one was pretty bad on sat, cry during each diaper change. Luckily after applying the purple desitin and reduce in poo frequency, she's no longer crying by sun.

kexie: Yah, i know some PD dun give med. The dosage is very low, as long as it helps to reduce her discomfort, i guess i have to trust her PD's judgement.

Hi babySean, my baby poo about 2 times a day now. i stopped all medication for her. i was given lacto-ford given by dr teo. should be spelt like dis la, i still got somemore. if u wan pm me i can pass u. i have bought a new nappy cream from SBCC specially for red red bum. u wan i can pass to u too.

JRRT : i'm keen
happy.gif

jRRt, i'm interested in Stage 2. Do you have more information on the country of manufactored and expiry date? Also by when do we need to give you our order? I'm yet to switch my bb to stage 2.

mummy_baby2008: tks for offering. i still have enuff at the moment. i'm also thinking of stopping her medication. but now she still poos ard 5 times a day. her bum is btr already aft using the purple desitin and antiseptic wash from PD. seems like it will take a while for their poo to go bk to normal. btw, did you change her milk powder to lactose free too?

babysean, just happened to drop by. i was one of the active april mummies.

just to share, my boy had diarrhea 2 weeks ago too. about 5 times a day, very water explosive type. PD prescribed probiotics but was a challenge getting him to drink it. end up we make milk using the solution. on the 4th day he threw up twice (real vomitting, not just the usual spit up). again PD says no medication. advised to dilute his milk feeds (he is on FM).

he recovered totally in about 6 days. i didn't switch FM, just dilute his milk and he recovered on his own. now he poos once every 1.5 days.

BabySean : Dr teo prescribe my baby with Nan milk(cow's milk without lactose, he asked me to stop BM oso. after my baby finished the formula i seeked opinion from 2nd PD and he advised that we can continue with the previous milk & BM, i showed the 2nd PD my baby's poo poo pics, he says looks ok, not that bad. thus i juz carry on feedings like before. i oso stopped medication & she recovered. now taking similac + BM + cereal once a day. i think maybe dis is a passing stage since so many babies having diarrhea at dis stage.

BTW i called up similac to check. they do have cows milk without lactose too. it's called similac total comfort.

Tangerinez : which probiotics is ur baby on now? mine is oso on probiotics, i'm giving bio-gaia 2 times a day. think now she is slowly recovering, i will change it to once a day.

tangerinez: tks for sharing! my gal did not vomit, had mild fever on sat but aft 1 dose of fever med, ok. i also chose to dilute the probiotic and lactoel fort into her milk. else really a challenge to feed her. she scream and cry and hit my hand til whole face red. today is 7th day already, i think still poo once after each feed. sigh. but overall she's normal, can drink, sleep and play.

mummy_baby2008: yap, my gal drinking similac total comfort now. i also juz call the careline. the nurse say seedy poo is ok, ask me to monitor for 2 wks.

my #1 din fall sick b4 1 yr old, so i think it's either the infant care or bcoz she's premature, that's y so weak. sigh.

Babysean: My baby's bum was slightly red. I cleaned the mess with wet cotton pads then rinsed his butt and applied Earth Mama Baby Bottom Balm.

I switch my gal from Similac Total Comfort to Isomil. Finally she stopped pooing after each feed. So i guess Similac Total Comfort is not really suitable for diarrhea.

been long since i last check in tis forum. ani of ur babies drool..? mine keep droolin til i hav to change for him quite a few times a day. but he's not teething.. zzz

he's turnin 5mth soon. i juz startin weaning him on brown rice cereal, ani other recommendation..?

trx: my baby is turning 6 mth in a few days. I noticed that he started drooling more abt 2 weeks ago. He doesn't drool till i need to change him though. He's also not teething. So I'm nt sure why he's drooling more than last time..

dancingqueen, when my baby starts to teeth, the lower gum looks slightly (just slightly only) swollen. my mom then told me he will start to teeth very soon. and true enough, i think after a week + i started to see 2 white surface appearing on the gum. And the saliva will drip like nobody's business...lol.

Bluesugar: Another exciting stage! Babies with 2 and 4 front teeth look even cuter :p My bb just had his 6-in-1 jab today. PD checked his gum and said there's nothing there yet.

mummy_baby2008: oh dear, what happen to ur bb? he/she ok now? yah, my gal fully recover from the diarrhea after switch her to isomil. then slowly switch her bk to her regular FM. now her 2 bottom teeth r out, can't ignore if the diarrhea is viral infection or bcoz of her teething.

babysean : my baby had a virus called RSV( respiratory cyncytial virus) she was having flu, cough, phlegm & fever. she had blocked nose so we sent her to hospital. now she's at home still having some phlegm but much better already. i only hope she can recover quickly..

btw my hubby said he read in a article or some posts from mummies saying dat FM might be a cause of phlegm, isit true? anybody knows? my baby is on similac + BM since birth and until now she's taking similac for once or twice a day. the rest all BM. my hubby asked me to try switching to ENFA and see, but i've tried enfa once my baby doesn't seem to like it alot cos similac she finishes the whole bottle at 1 go, whereas enfa she will start playing with her tongue and drink very slowly. now she's only on the phlegm medication + Biogaia probiotic drops daily

Anyway, i have a tin of Mamil Gold 400g+ voucher to purchase at a discounted price. Anybody wanna exchange with me? i'm thinking of changing to Enfapro A+

mummy_baby2008:
Poor bb. Hope she recover quickly. My gal at 2 mths old also suffer from running nose and phlegm. Very poor thing.

As for whether FM introduce phlegm. I dun really think so. Both my kids r on full FM since day 1 they are born.

Hi mummy_baby2008

Hope yr bb has a speedy recovery.

I have 2 brand new tommee tippee teats (3M+) medium flow to give away free.

Let me know if any of yr baby needs them

Mum_baby, hope ur baby better by now.

My girl also just recovered from virus cough, lots of phlegm. I checked w her Pd, confirm phlegm not bcos of FM, or some FM tends to cause more phlegm than other like some rumors.

Sigh, I think my gal down with RSV too! Now on 4 hrly neb.
sad.gif

She has lost her voice & cough in a funny way. I read up, seems to be croupy cough. She also breathe very loudly now. Sometimes I so worry she cannot catch her breath. Sigh.

I think it's due to the weather, haze and all? My boy has just recovered from cough and runny nose too. He took medication for two days and it just went away. Oh yes, he is rather phlegmy too. Definitely not due to formula as he's fully breastfed. The doctor said his phlegm is due to crying so only present in the throat but not in the lungs.

My boy just turned 6 months old yesterday! Time really flies.
happy.gif

Desperatemum : my girl is feeling better now, but yesterday i think i heard her breathing abit heavy dunno isit the virus is back or she has "pi sai" it's deep inside her nostrils & no way i can dig it out. only can wait for her to sneeze..

BabySean: ur gal is admitted?? btw if she is admitted, request for physiotherapy. It really helps to loosen up the phlegm & the therapist told me that after the phlegm loosens up, baby will cough more & if they happen to swallow the phlegm, it will pass out thru the stools, maybe u can see if there's any sticky liquid between stools.my baby pass out the phlegm thru her mucus. thick sticky yellow& greenish pi sai.
my baby slept well & drink milk after nebulizer. not to worry too much about not able to catch her breath. they just have to take a break when drinking milk. Give her lots of warm water will help too. Take care

Lovetian : my baby is 5 months 1 week liao, now trying out sweet potato puree for her
happy.gif
how about u? have u been trying out puree or cereals?

mummy_baby, yup! I started white rice cereal with bm at 4.5 months old and veg/fruit puree at 5 months old. I will be starting porridge next week as my baby loves lumpier food wirh texture. Sweet potato is my boy's favourite! Try to get australian gold sweet potatoes, they are especially sweet, smooth and fibre-less.
happy.gif

my baby likes white rice cereal but when i add puree to it she rejects & makes alot of noise..so far i only tried pumpkin, sweet potato, apple, pear. all the 4 purees she rejects. where do i get those australian gold sweet potatoes???

mummy_baby2008:
Nope, she's not admitted. I loan the machine hm, neb her myself. She din really cough much but can hear got phlegm. Also no running nose, nose seems clear leh. No pi sai. Last nite she manage to sleep well.

mummy_baby, maybe it takes some time for her to get used to new tastes? You can try giving the puree separately. You followed the 3 days rule? Did she gradually accept it? I usually buy it from fairprice finest or fairprice extra. Try to go on weekends.

So far my boy has tried white rice, brown rice and oatmeal. Carrot, apple, sweet potato, pear, pumpkin, avocado, banana, butternut squash, potato and cauliflower puree. Next will be peach. He does not really like apple and banana. But i still try to let him take.

Back