(2012/01) Jan 2012

hi jkids, no la, my boy juz developed a fever one week after the jab, so far 2 days liao. wondering how long the fever usually last & how high the temp will get. my boy's temp keep going up & down from 37+ to 39+ deg. worried when he hits 39+, dunno to go see doc anot.

Jac, my boy had fever for about 4 days, fever ranging from 37+ to 38+. Doc did say that if fever at 38+ for more than 2 days then considered serious. my son only hit 38+ for one day..so not considered very serious, just keep giving paracetamol.

hi enitsuj, thanks for the info!
happy.gif

Hi Jac, my gal developed fever abt.. 4-5 days after the jab.. when i thot all was well and shld be 'safe' liao.. went on for about 4-5 days and then turned into flu and cough.. so do take care.. nowadays weather quite extreme..one moment scorching hot and the next it rained and so stuffy...
sad.gif

Jac, my son developed fever 2-3 days after the MMRV/ pneumococcal jab..initially thot due to the jabs, then he developed into flu & cough, end up was bronchitis.
sad.gif
abt a wk later, he had rashes.

do you have high fever med at home?

hi googlez & moscato, my boy's fever has finally subsided after 3 days (max hit 40 deg!), keep giving him paracetamol every 4hrs. now having abit of cough leh, hope don't become bronchitis. sigh..

wah 40 degrees is very high..dont think it's due to the jab. should be due to virus.

u can give brufen for high fever (>38.5), can give 2 hrs after paracetamol.

Hi all mummies anyone has good confinement nanny to recommend ?
Can anyone share how do you celebrate your baby first birthday ? Thanks

Hi hi all,

Happy Sunday. How are ur bb doing?
Have u started giving rice to ur baby after they turn 1yo?Mine is still on porrdige and pretty much e same standard ingredient everyday(brocolli/carrot/spinach/pumpkin/meat).

The elders said shud start intro them rice like what adult eat.

Care to share with me what dishes u cook to complement the rice?

Jac,
How is ur boy now? hopefully he has recovered well.

Dancingqueen,
Was it you who previously mentioned about pork ribs stock? To make it, i juz buy pork ribs and boil as per normal? Any other things to note?

hi Delphina! yeah my boy has recovered after 3 days of fever & is doing well now.
happy.gif
mine is still on porridge too & almost same ingredients (ngor hee, carrot/ sweet potato & meat for favor) everyday. hahah. my friends say can try rice with soup, but I also dunno where to start. need some ideas too.

can we start a full rice meal for them? my bb loves to eat mine when i feed him from my plate.
think can start with potato/carrot, corn/ carrot soup..

Good Monday morning!

Mine's also still on porridge, will feed a few mouthfuls if she keeps on pestering us during meals.

Just to share, there was one meal my mum gave her rice.. for the next few days her poo got harder, in a ball shape, when it is usually mushy and *splat* kind. Not sure the reason, maybe drank too little water or no fruits or the rice.. so just intro slowly I guess.

My gal's been throwing tantrums these last few days.. demanding to be carried and coaxed to sleep. Carry must still stand up.. can't sit down.. I rem a few mummies mentioned this earlier on. How do they grow out of that? Or they never do? *horror*

Jac,
Good to know ur boy is okay now. So last time e fever really due to jab? I hvnt jab MMR for my baby. Maybe wait later lah. Delay a bit So many controversy abt this vaccine from what I read in internet. Hearing all the bb in our forum group hitting high fever,makes me even more worried...

Ur boy still in ifc rite? Do they still feed him porridge too?

I asked my other friend abt the soup. She said also quite standard like corn soup, abc soup. . The thing is I seldom cook soup at home. So still clueless la.

Moscato,
From what ppl tell me, can start ord. But maybe gradual ya. Juz hv to think what to give them with the rice. Vege, soup, or meat dishes. Seems more complicated than doing porridge.

Googlez82,
I never encounter it before, but usually kids are crancky when they are overtired or not feeling well. :-(

googlez, long long time ago my boy demanded to be carried to sleep every night, but he has since grown out of it (thankfully). nowadays, my boy will demand to be carried to sleep when he's cranky, usually either sick or teething, will get over once he feels better. jiayou!! hang in there!!

Delphina, yeah I think the fever may be directly/indirectly due to the jab. PD mentioned that immune system will be weaker hence easy to catch viral infection. my boy is in IFC, so better to take the jab. the IFC still feed him porridge for lunch leh, standard for all babies able to take solids. I also abit lazy to change his menu. routine establised liao, reluctant to change. hahah.

moscato, u feed plain rice alone (abit too dry?) or with soup?

Hey ladies, long time no post. Suffering frm jet lag in USA now. Luckily my boy still snoring away.

My son also still on porridge but the veg and meat will be what I eat with hubby. Just have to make sure no added salt and not too much oil. So he will eat kai lan, watercrrss, asparagus..etc and all use scissors to snip into smaller pieces for him. I was getting bored of everything steamed and then have to do double work.

Soup wise I cook carrot, potato n onion soup with pork rib, lotus root soup (he likes the lotus root), watercress soup with chicken bones, and corn n carrot soup. Pork bones can ask butcher for "scissors" bones or soft bones. Make soup really flavourful.

He will occasionally eat rice when offered but if offer as one meal, he is abit lazy to chew and when he gets tired, will start spitting everything out. Wah lao. So stick to porridgd best!

Now in US for 2 weeks, really gotta learn to let go of routine. No rice or porridge here n then chinese food so salty! So he has been eating bread, fries, nuggets, chicken n pasta. Well..at least new food I guess. I hope he dun like all these food too much else I go back I got headache!! He also has been eating cake, ice cream n chocolates..oh man.

Found that for the past two weeks, my boy also quite clingy to me. Even tho relationship with daddy is still close but will fuss when i go out without him and reach out for me more often. Dunno if separation anxiety or what.

Jac, if have soup, i will put some soup over the rice then feed him..if not, just plain rice from my plate..a few grains at a time...just to "shut" his mouth while i eat my dinner..lol..
i haven't give him a full rice meal..thinking of starting gradually...if not my #1 have to follow him to eat porridge for dinner everyday..felt bad..:p

enitsuj, you are in USA for holidays? ur son can tahan the long journey?

enitsuj, so nice. ur boy can tahan the long flight & still sleep well away from home. I juz went Perth in mar & my boy was cranky the whole flight & din wanna sleep in the bassinet. almost died.
sad.gif
I brought wakodo & pigeon instant food along, then cook plain porridge & add them in. so far quite ok. my boy also has been eating cakes, ice cream, chocolate & whole lots of nonsense. sigh.

moscato, u cook dinner after work everyday??? power leh... currently my mum cooks my boy's dinner & we cater tingkat dinner for the rest of us adults (we go mum's place for dinner). told my mum abt the soup thing & she finds it so troublesome. easier to prepare porridge as its like a 1 dish meal & everything juz throw into the thermal pot & auto cook by itself. then can't possibly ask him eat our tingkat food mah. sigh. any quick & easy way??

@moscato, hubby sent to USA for conference by his boss..so we tag along cos his ticket paid liao haha. Surprising my son can tahan. Fly out at 2am, so he was sleeping most of the way. But first night in US, his sleep was abit screwy. Wake up at like 12mdn, and 4am asking for food. aiyoh..

jac, waah dun get me started on the bassinet. so rubbish lor. turbulence only must take out. gaah. think my boy only slept because he was in baby carrier like 3/4 of the time he was asleep. I was considering bringing slow cooker to USA to cook porridge too! hahah. But scared the small slow cooker cannot be used cause of voltage diff..so in the end din bring along. so far if he dun like to eat certain food we order, just go back to hotel later and he eat oatmeal n cheerios.

re:soup, sometimes what I do is that, I boil chicken stock (bones, carrot, onion) and keep the stock in BM bags (hubby say..wah so ex, keep in BM bags haha), about 200ml, just nice for my boy to drink. Then when want to let him drink, heat up the soup, throw in some chicken. But thing is only one kind of soup lah.

Jac, yup I freeze the soup. But for how long..really depends on comfort level? I ever keep some of the frozen soup for a few months..haha. I haven't tried adding fish yet cos I only let my son eat cod fish. But think if add ngor he (threadfin) should be good, although may be fishy unless like super fresh. I know that some of the onion slices were stored in the bags as well, and when I reheat, was still ok, so dunno if leaving the ingredients in the bags is fine.

Jac, i only cooked the kids porridge..will tabao adults' dinner...unless really home early then my hb will cook pasta. If cook our dinner as well, dinner will become supper..:p

these days bb sticks to me like super glue. does it happen to you? i cant do my things!

re porriage, my bb still on porriage. eat rice is only for fun, like an addtion to rice cereal or porriage he is eating).

any bb on enfa stage 3 fully? mine still on stage 2 and 3. 1 time stage 2 and 2 times stage 3 a day. he still make noise when he 1st tried to poo.
sad.gif
my nanny commented this milk powder not suuitable for him. i cant think of a better brand, any suggestion?

n he still have diaper rash cream. applied power, destin rash cream...its still reddish down there. shd i worry or not?

anyone brought bb for flight? am thinking of going hk in in aug....but wonder whether bb can sit still for 5 hrs in d plane?

Hi jkids,

My boy still on stage 2 (Mamil gold). Nowadays my boy also start to stick to me normally he don't. For poo poo I have not idea cos normally my boy pool poo will made a lot of sound..
For diaper rash u better bring him go n c PD for better advise.
My advise to u for flight, u should try him out on a short one first. If bb can survive on the 1 - 2 hrs flight than 5 hrs should be ok. As I goin to try my boy out on a kl trip first ..

If you are going overseas, probably can buy those pigeon porridge in packets. quite convenient to bring along. not too bad tasting..
5 hrs flight is quite short. baby should be able to survive.. but for a start, i agree with Shirley, bring him for a shorter flight. I started bringing my son overseas when he was 6 mths old.. so far, he's quite ok with it.. for 8 hrs night flight, he can sleep throughout like a pig.

My boy already 15 mth old, but cant take too much rice. He got bad habit of gobbling up 1 full bowl of food within 5 min. Rice v hard to digest. He sometimes will get choke after eating too fast and vomit everything out.So for now, im still sticking to porridge most of the time. Mine already on mamil stage 3 since 12 mth old. so far so good. Every day will poo at least once. can try Mamil gold if you want.
happy.gif

jkids, muz drink lots of water when on enfa stage 3.. i dilute the feed, e.g. 2 scoops with 150ml of water or 3 scoops with 200ml of water, total ~8 scoops a day.. so far so good, my boy will poo normally everyday when i do this (proven when we went overseas & on wkends).. problem is his IFC follows the instructions on the tin & doesn't dilute the feed, so sometimes his poo gets quite hard when he doesn't take much extra water for that day.. his diaper rash might be related to his poo.. mabbe poo too dry & hard so squeeze until butt red red?? it happens to my boy sometimes when his poo too hard.. i brought my boy to perth in mar, ~5hrs flight too.. my boy behaves better on a day flight (flying there) rather than night flight (flying back), super super cranky when close to his bed time & also coz we were already dead tired by the time when we are on the night flight, find it really challenging to handle him, almost died.. so i highly recommend a day flight unless ur bb is those that can sleep well anywhere..

supposed to bring bb for jab but he has fever, haiz, mus postpone the appt now. then my nanny pissed me off. had planned to put bb wif her for another yr but more than once she made me angry. changing to ano nanny is oso a challenge, duno bb will want the new nanny or not.

i tried diluting but he doesnt want to finish his drink. jac, yr bb finish all? maybe i din start rite in the beginning. now he is used to the taste liao. the diaper rash is oso on his pte part leh. maybe oso heaty weather?
sad.gif
but when he poos, he always make noise...

on the flight...how yr boy tong for so long? need to carry him ard in the plane?

pigeon rice packet...how to cook? juz add hot water is it?

Jkids: My baby is oso on full enfa 3 after turning 1. For me, I didnt dilute but she does poop everyday (almost). My PD said all milk is abt the same, juz which taste ur baby prefers.

Abt the redness on his pte part, how long it happened alreqdy? maybe if it is still persist even after applying cream, u may need to see the doctor. my friend got similar case, then doct said it is due to bacteria then hv to apply special medicine. But after that ok already.

For the flight, I also wanna bring my gal to Hk nearer end of yr. Juz that it might be cold there.. My gal took short haul 1-2hrs few times before. So far okay, Juz that u gotta bring toys and snacks to keep them occupy. I think shud be ok lah for 5hrs flight. If she is too noisy, I then put her onto the carrier.

Seems like most of our bb are still on porridge (including mine).. If we switch to rice, that means we gotta prepare soup everyday yaa. If not might be diff for them to swallow.

What's the matter with ur nanny? U wanna consider CC since ur kid is bigger already?

For babies, just bring along some snacks, ipad as entertainment. My son loves to flip those magazines in the plane as well. This can keep him occupied for quite sometime. If really bored, he will start looking around, smile and say "hi" to pple. try to initiate to see whether other pple willing to play with him. If yes, then he will play peekaboo with other pple?? when tired, he will just take a nap. no need to carry around.

for pigeon food, just use hot water to heat up the pack and serve.
happy.gif

finally home from the US. Sooo sleepy now, super jet lagged. Haven't slept for almost 24 hours liao. haha. Come back and have to deal with jetlagged baby also. zzz.

But yar, jkids, the remote for the tv on the plane can keep them occupied for a while also. Can also ask air stewardess for activity pack. I brought lots of snacks, books and ipad for entertainment but seemed like overpack cos luckily he spent quite a lot of time sleeping and walking round.

jkids, ya my boy finish all the milk leh, greedy fella. erh if pte part got rash then better bring go PD leh, sounds quite serious. din really carry my boy on the flight until he got really cranky near his bedtime. rest of the time he was busy playing with the remote controller, magazines, watching ipad, disturbing other passengers, etc. I cook plain porridge then add in the pigeon food, more filling this way. if not, like wat Catherine said, juz use hot water to heat it up & serve, very convenient.

Enitsuj: Welcome back !!!! U r good leh. I cannot imagine taking long haul flight with my dd to US. Hopefully the jetlag will be over soon.

Anyone is planning for the next baby? Or delivering soon?
A friend of mine juz asked me the other day if I am planning for next kid,.... for now, I dont feel confident that I can cope alone with a newborn and a curious toddler =p. Kuddos to many parents coping with big family...... hehe the memory of sleepless night during the first few months is still fresh in my memory...

*kee chiew* delphina, me me! hahah. Planning in the works. A bit nervous thinking about going through pregnancy again, labour and handling two kids. argh. re: jetlag, surprisingly no jetlag! I think it is really the timing of the flight. my boy's naps a bit screwed up but he is sleeping through the night. So really good. I am very very heng.

btw, wanted to ask all the mummies, any of your kids on one nap a day now, or two naps?

hihi mummies
happy.gif

jac steady hur...bring ah boy to so far away!
I wan bring mine to HK/TW also think so long..not to mention now with the recent scare of Boston bombing and virus outspread...i think got to shelve plans for now.
normally for soup stock i keep max is 2 weeks lo...after that buang le

jkids
what happen to the nanny?

enitsuj
my bb now only nap once...if its twice normally the 2nd nap is v v short like 20mins

delphina
lol...frankly i want.
But whenever i think of the post c-sect, the pain, the non stop crying baby, midnight feeds..i wan hang up my white flag liao..hahaha maybe later bah...

jingles, but if nap once, then nap for how long? and what time is 2nd nap, what time is bedtime? I've a friend who's 2yo naps once at 11am, then bedtime is 7pm, latest 7.30pm. I told my parents & ILs that I also intend to do this..both side complain. -_-"

Enitsuj: Wahhh good luck for ur planning!!!! Are u SAHM now? Maybe if u got some help when no 2 comes, then not too bad. For me, am sure have to handle by myself coz both sides not avail, unless I hire maid......

Jingles: me oso same like u.. Plus i am afraid of the morning sickness attack. Last time, no need to do anything. Can afford to rest when MS attacks. Now, rain or shine, I hv to attend my dd.

Oh abt sleeping, my girl nap for 2-3 hours but once a day only. At night, she sleeps for 12 hrs.

If u wanna train to be 7pm bedtime,definitely can. Juz that they will be early riser too. Last time my dd has this pattern (7pm sleep-7am) but since I''m more to night person, I prefer her to wake up later....Gradually push the time until 9pm sleep and she wakes up later also.

But if u r morning person, maybe u like the 7pm pattern. I know many caucasian does this.

delphina, yup, have been a SAHM mom since my boy was born. On single income, cannot afford help lah. Haha. Just have to make sure I got the right support (i.e., get to window shop) then I think should be fine..hopefully!

my boy wakes up at 7 - 7.30am every morning, so have been a habit already. Bedtime is at 8,.30 - 9pm and he somewhat sleeps through the night (some fussing about 2-3 times but goes back to sleep easily). Was thinking about pre-school in the future, so will most prob keep to the early wake up call.

Just that wondering if he switch to one nap, dunno how long he will sleep and at what time of the day. Now he sleeps two 1hr naps a day, 10.30am and 3pm.

sigh.. u all so lucky.. me still going thro sleepless nights now.. my boy takes 2 naps in IFC (usually 10am & 4pm, ard 1.5hrs each time).. THEN come home sleep ard 11pm & wakes up at ard 615am!! AND nowadays wakes up to cry abt 3-4 times every night coz teething, night mares, etc!! I'm still so sleep deprived!!! day time still have to work, after work got to take care of my boy & night time can't rest well.. now fell sick liao.. & mc still had to go work..
sad.gif
I also wan 2nd one.. but I'm seriously wondering how to cope.. sigh.. nowadays keep thinking whether to quit my job anot, be full time SAHM.. but kinda worried abt finances & dunno next time can find job again anot.. sigh..

*pats Jac* you are doing a very good job liao. I really think the working moms have it harder, have to worry about finances, and home at the same time. 佩服!

But IFC takes a fair bit of the expenses, no? I think about the costs for pre-nursery classes I headache already.

enitsuj, my boy goes to a neighborhood IFC.. after govt subsidy slightly less than $700.. will be ard $500 when he proceeds to toddler class in july.. $ wise more worth it for me to continue working, at least still can have some personal savings.. What preschool r u considering? if branded ones will be ex lo.. actually i got quite a few friends send their kids to branded preschools like pat sch hse & mindchamps.. they say very good.. but wonder if it's worth it, wonder if i'm discounting my boy by not giving him the best, wonder if I shld change preschool for him.. but also means mummy & daddy got to work even harder liao.. sigh.. wat do other mummies think ah? is branded preschool really worth it? will it really make a difference?

er, how long is a KL flight ah? i oso scare he cannot tong for 5 hrs for the 1st time... but got space to walk ard in the plane ah?

anyoe dignosed with high sugar level during pregnancy? i did but never followed up after i delivered. is there really a need to go for test? being a yr + liao leh.

anyone stop sterlisiing milkbottles oredi? i did and a week later..bb had fever. i had to cancel the MMR 2nd dose coz of tis. should have tot of stopping it after the jab hor.

my nanny is getting more notti. recently took very last min leave, really inconvenient us. at least tell us the reason y you had to take so we are more understanding and sympatic. so secretive. made me really wondered if its really tat urgent. maybe last min she has free tickets to universal studio? argh! and other things oso lah, cant rem. like trying to spite us like tat.

for me, even if i have to quit my job one day...i will till "work" from home. i like to spend my own $ hehe.

my bb will wake up a few times in d middle of d nite...but i juz give him drink water. my sleep is still badly affected.

anyone still angry at times over own family members who dun help you look after yr kids for watever reason? i can't seem to find a closure on this. whenever i am moody, i start thinking of who and who dun help me when i am in need...then i will start my scoldings again.

Jac, I'm considering the pre-nursery at a church, which is just next to my block. Starting to think a lot about it because I will definitely need some "time off" to focus on #2 if the timing is right. Hubby and I were reading about the branded ones like you said, trying to figure out what's the diff, etc. Hubby's against the idea of PCF *roll eyes* but also not keen on paying top dollar for branded school.

May because I am SAHM so I think if I send him to a school that is middle ground, the rest I can make up for it by spending time with him, taking him out..etc. But that is because I will have the time. Would be a lot more different for you who are working?

jkids, I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes during pregnancy but also didn't follow up. Dun think got any prob or need to follow up.

KL flight is about 1 hour. If 5 hour flight, the plane should be bigger, def got a lot of room to walk around. heh. My son was in his sleepsuit all the time so just let him wander around without shoes..until hubby pointed out that ppl go toilet, step on urine and then clean on carpet....yeeech.

jac
*patpat*
poor thing. Yes I totally understand how you feel. Its like back to the first few months where you got really lack of sleep, a crying baby and everything needs YOU! YOU! YOU! YOU! and no one else lo....dont worry mommy Jac! Walk through this path and it will end soon!

I also nearly went mad that my DD did not give me a chance to catch up my nap last weekend...5 days without a good sleep, I really badly need to nap during weekends to catch up
sad.gif
Not sure why...maybe her tooth coming up...so a little cranky...got into the cranky mood and cried for solid half an hour
sad.gif

For childcare...I believe in enrichment lo...so even if in those moderate moderate schools....weekend send to enrichment also good enough. So far DD enjoys school v v much
happy.gif

enitsuj
first nap about half an hour...then second nap about 2? then...she sleeps at 9pm. then wakes up around 5am. Yes..my bb is an early riser. Till now is 5am lo
sad.gif

jkids
you are not alone lo...sometimes i think back i will wonder why this happen, that happen. Why this person never help me, why this person fly my aeroplane. Yes..i have such moments, but then I will steer myself to think about something else more positive...already v tired liao...not point making myself more upset and negative..

My son take 2 naps in the afternoon. Wake up at around 8.30am to 9am in the morning. Take a nap at 12pm and 5pm.. each nap takes around 2 hrs. He will sleep at around 11pm at night. Doesnt wake up at night at all, sleep more soundly than me.

Initially was researching on all the branded schools. but priority changes when I suddenly got pregnant with #2. hehe... My #2 will arrive when #1 turn 18 months. So now decided to put him in childcare instead of preschool. 1st choice is PCF sparkletots ($342), but if still no vacancies by then, he will enter into private one ($680).. hehe.. think any school will be fine since i'm gonna put him in those weekend enrichment classes and continue reading to him every night. Most importantly must be cheap. Expenses of 2 kids can be quite stressful..

All ur bb seem to be sleeping so much! I'm starting to worry for mine.. lol.. Mine usually clocks 10pm to 7am (when the adults wake up for work).. daytime naps are erratic, sometimes a total of 3hr but sometimes as short as 1h in total. I hope she sleeps more cos I alwayz have this theory sleeping is for the physical and mental development =D

For child care, I only hope to put her in one close to my parents (primary caregivers). And in our area, there's no branded ones! If there is, I most prob will take a look and put her there.. I can't bear to let her travel 30min or more just for a child care or kindergarten! Save it for Pri Sch I guess.. (hopefully no need.. poor children)

As for overseas trip.. sigh.. my hubby and I are both scaredy cats.. hahaha.. we can't imagine the hassle.. the what-ifs.. etc.. so we compensate by going for... chalets! lol...

I'm also thinking about a cruise.. cos it's controlled environment, so should be more manageable. Furthermore, there are also lotsa activities to occupy the child..

googlez82
yes u are right lo..sleep is good for toddlers..hahaha its good for us mommies too. To save our sanity! LOL

ermm just to share with u ah..not to scare u..my friend also thought so....going for cruise is good. So she tried with her son. First time cruise to nowhere v good. safe. Next trip cruise to Penang...in end son got really sick, they abort the cruise, rush to airport and fly back to singapore on emergency basis..all the hassle cost them 1k. So...cruise is not exactly safe also....sometimes got to see "luck" lo

Googlez82: I took cruise and brought dd along. Quite boring,
at that time,she has not turned 1yo. So mostly everday eat jar food. They got activities for baby in the ads, but it is only like 2*30 mins and some session dun even last that long due to low participant. I imagined some types of indoor playground for bb and tots before I went, but it is not close to that..... At most go swimming loh everday....

Abt CC, am thinking to go back to work since I dun plan for #2. guess i hv to start finding one if i were to send her when she is 2yo....anxious alsp whether she will cope well or not later.

Jac: I find SAHM is a lonely job loh... At least for me lah.. I dunno if other SAHM feelin the same.
Btw ya, ur boy seems to wake up often at nite right? Cud it be coz he is hungry? Did he finish his meal at IFC? My gal will wake up at 2-3am sometimes when she eat less in the day (didnt finish her meal).... When she is full, she can sleep for 10hrs straight without waking up.

delphina, SAHM is quite a lonely job. Sometimes feel that hubby don't understand that it is a tedious job and feel a bit under appreciated but then have to remind myself that each of us have our own roles to play in the family..so have to 看开 haha. I make sure that I go out once a week with a friend who is also a SAHM. That keeps me sane!

Back