(2012/01) Jan 2012

Hi mummies, any idea where I can buy ground brown rice to cook porridge for my baby? Or any advice on how long I must cook brown rice since it's unmilled?

Hi, I'm new here. My bb in born 30 Jan.
happy.gif
he juz done his 9th mth assessment at poly. Im quite concern over his head circumference. It's onli at 3% but was told by nurse to observe further. Any other mummy have such worries? I'm thinking of taking him to kk for checkup. Do u think it's necessary?

Dancing queen, I have been giving bb organic brown rice since 6mth. U can try this brand 'Fresh Rice' it's v easy to cook. No need to soak. Juz cook little norm bt use slight more water.

Brink, dancingqueen, thank you for the advice. My girl's weight gain has slowed down too, I think it's due to them being super active now and growing taller (bigger) and all. But I still hope to see her gain more weight though..

Congrats Brink!

Allo all mummies...i've disappeared for a loong loong time...........

My colleague recommended cakes from Smiling Orchid.. she just celebrated her 5yo son's bday.. i haven't checked it out myself.

I've lost track of my gal's growth since there is no vaccination from 9th mth till the next one at 1 yo. She started walking at 9.5 mth.. sigh...

That's all from me..nice to be back..hope i can catch up with the thread!

googlez... why sigh when ur girl learnt how to walk at 9.5mths? haha.

Mine is about 10mths 1week. trying to stand but wobbly still.

she drinks 160ml, 2x or 3x each day. PD said at this age, the max no. of bottles shld be 3. So I gave her more solid. Morning eat oatmeal, afternoon & evening eat rice cereal.

oh, my little girl is cruising (learning to walk with support) since 8 mths. i thought its really abit too fast! time flies!! it just seems like she was born yesterday. haha.

my boy like having growth spurt.. suddenly drinking alot these few days.. 180ml, 3 times a day + 150ml, 4 times a day.. almost every 3hrs during the nite! anyone got similar experience? issit due to growth spurt ah? btw, he's taking 3 times solids, ~90ml of rice cereal or ~150ml porridge ba.. he doesn't really like solids (unless it's puffs/biscuits), so he don't want eat when we give him more solids..

my boy is eating 3 times solid (cereal w/fruit for BkFt, porridge or pasta or mash for lunch and porridge for dinner) Milk intake only around 300-400ml, 2-4 times.

He can stand with support at 8mth but havent try to walk... is quite happy to stand and climb and crawl around.
happy.gif

Gd morning, mummies. Today marks my first attempt at preparing porridge for my son. Early morning went market to buy threadfin. Then prep carrot and spinach purée to add in. So overwhelmed by the extra work as compared to just freezing and feeding veg and fruit purée with cereal.

Hi mummies, my baby's top 2 teeth out already! big teeth and so much drool la..

Re food intake:
- my baby drinks FM 210ml 3times a day (9pm before sleep; 1am; 6.30am).
- She takes breakfast at 9am of instant food jar (either half or full jar)
- Lunch of 180ml porridge
- Teabreak of 60ml fruit puree
- Dinner of 180ml porridge
(Porridge is either pork or fish blended, with vegetable puree)
At one time I was trying out a lot of new vegetable on bb and all of a sudden realise I am giving too much vege that is orangey - e.g. carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin. Baby began pooing red stools and it scared me! After "messing around" with the red stool, it's not blood, just orangey and I stopped those vege for few days and luckily baby stopped pooing red.. Also, I think too much of these orangey vege all at once will cause baby to look a bit yellowish. Any mummies experience this yellowish skin too?

She is about 9kg now at 9.5 months, rolls around happily, and busy crawling backwards (hah!). She can also sit in her walker and walk around entertaining herself. Can only support herself at the sofa standing up for a while only.

At the 9m vaccination, no assessment was done, just a prick of needle that's all. PD is at SBCC, private clinic.

BRINK: saw your bp, all the best!

dancingqueen: yay, great! very soon you can bring around the porridge to coffeeshop and baby can lunch with you and hubby already..

jean, yeah by right cannot give too much orange vege, bb will turn yellow. but my boy like pumpkin & sweet potato, so I give it to him almost daily (1 wk pumpkin, 1 wk sweet potato, etc) with other vege & fish/meat. so far he's ok, maybe coz portion not alot, but I do keep a lookout for signs of beta carotene overdose.

dancingqueen, I still continue to prepare & freeze the vege/fish/meat purée (now dont have to blend so finely). then everyday juz cook plain porridge then add the purée in. extra work is juz cook the porridge nia, still ok ba. sometimes lazy to cook porridge then add rice cereal/ pasta to purée instead.

Hi mummies,
been busy w my BP, doing business is hardwork and everyday baby sleep already then can do work...not much response so far but I am working at it..got some christmas and hello kitty clothings uploaded today...if got time can go see see look look again...
happy.gif

http://singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/7763090.html?1352903156

With regards to feeding...
my boy is still looking thin but super active...changing him out of his clothes and diaper can be so challenging...can sweat so much just to catch him and change him...He also hates sitting in the carseat...so basically I need to carry him in the car everytime we go out..never sit still and always turn and twist like a dragon...if not, he will be crying his lungs out in his car seat until I carry him out...
sad.gif

at 9 mths plus, he is standing without support for a while. still eats one time cereal at lunch and porridge for dinner usually w loin meat or threadfin. drinks 180ml milk and is always so playful and active...so tired taking care of him but his naughty and cheeky smile always brightens up my day
happy.gif
Jia you ba Mummies...

Jac, think my boy also growing thru some growth spurt. I am still breastfeeding and for past 3 weeks have been waking up every two hourly to feed. Am soooo tired. Is worse than newborn lor!! Have tried feeding him more solids but dun seem to work.

Feeding now is similar to most mummies:
Breakfast: fruit n oats ~90ml + 1 biscotti+ cheerios
Morning snack: BM
Lunch & dinner: porridge with veg puree + chicken/pork/fish

Running out of ideas for veg to puree. I have been doing broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, pumpkin, potatoes n sweet potatoes. Any other suggestions?

My boy is abt 9.5mths, walking 2-3 steps but mostly cruising. Like brink's, very challenging to change diaper and wear clothes. Can't imagine what it will be like if he can walk!

Jean, my baby likes root veg like sweet potato, pumpkin and butternut squash bec they are "sweet" but I try to limit in case he consumes too much beta carotene. You can try offering green leafy veg like spinach and watercress for a change. Anyway, my baby didnt enjoy his first porridge. Ony ate a bit. In the end, I finished the rest so as not to waste. Will try again tomorrow. This time will add ikan bilis powder.

Jac, I still freeze veg purée to add into porridge but plan to cook raw fish in the porridge before serving. If I freeze everything, my mil whom i stay with won't be able to accept.

Brink, I'm having a tough time dressing and changing my baby too, whether it's after bath or just diaper change. Sweat ah... He seems to have endless energy and gets frustrated when I pin him down to change him.

Enitsuj, how about zucchini, parsnip, spinach, watercress and kailan? Try to mix the stronger tasting veg like spinach with carrot or sweet potato.

Hallo mummies,

I have been away for almost 2 weeks. How time flies yaaa.. Soon it will be Xmas, NY, and also other dd/ds 1st bday.. I think the next 2 months will pass even faster!!!

My daughter juz turn 10 mths recently. She start to walk by holding onto furniture and stand for a moment without holding onto anything. I also noticed she likes to squat now (strange huh??). Getting more cheeky but also more alert. The other day, she pulled the placemat and cause my cup to break into pieces. Luckily the debris didnt hurt her.

Dancingqueen: i never tried zuchini, parnship and watercress.. New idea. I think should give it a try. Me same like enitsuj, running out of idea for combo mix.

Mummies who intro solid at 6 mths, when do u start to give ur baby 3 meals a day? My bb is still on 2 meals (brunch on cereal/puree and dinner on porridge) and drink 500-600ml formul milk. When u give 3 meals a day, do u give porridge for all 3 meals?

Jac: u r very hardworking yaa doing the invite and banner by urself. Lots of effort. I havent started ordering cakes, banner, catering etc for my gal bday. Suddenly I kanchiong now.. Hope it is not too late to start as i have 2 mths left. :-(

Enitsuju: backtrack to the yoghurt topic, i saw a plain one called paul's (white packaging with bluestrip) at ntuc. But never write whether can give to bb before 1yo. I havent tried it myself.

dancingqueen, do you steam the zuchinni? Cos I was thinking it might be quite a watery mush at the end of it. hehe.

delphina, my son squats sometimes too. But I think he is trying to stand up without holding onto anything that's why in squatting mode.

Re: solids, I started 3 meals a day when he was about 8.5 mths. Breakfast is fruit or oats, and lunch and dinner is porridge.

Re: yoghurt, yeah I know the brand paul's. That one uses skim milk too if i remember correctly.

Wow, my gal at 9 month plus also cruise around, and attempted standing without support for a few seconds and even walked a few steps without support before. She also learn to squat or bend her knees to pick things up. I thought it was all too fast. Seems like many babies here are around the same stage. And I thought only my baby gives her mummy a hard time changing her clothes and diapers by turning around and sitting up or just scream at the top of her voice when I tried to get her to lie down. Looks like I'm not alone too..

Delphina: for breakfast, my girl have brown rice cereal then porridge for the other two meals.

enitsuj, I steamed the zucchini then blended it. It's quite watery after blending. So I mixed it with potato and on another occasion, potato and carrot. I kept the skin bec it's packed with vitamin. I'm keen to let baby try cheese and yogurt but find it a hassle to shop for the right types bec I'm not sure which ones suit babies.

lush, my mum frightened me by saying my gal learnt to walk too early. In doing so, she may fall or trip more frequently than if she had started walking later. This sounds true to a certain extent. Muscles will be more developed later rather than earlier isn't it.

She also watched one of those Taiwanese talk show which mentioned it is better for babies to crawl for a longer period before they start walking. SOmething to do with brain development too.

wow dancing queen, I envy ur bb! gets to eat so many varieties. My gal eats threadfin and spinach porridge...and the 3 purees, potato, pumpkin and sweet potato.. that's all. I can't complain cos my mum's doing the hard work.

by the way, what is the difference between zucchini and cucumber? I googled it and it looked the same? What is it in chinese?

and also parsnip.. i thot parsnip is for making... yam cake...parsnip looks like radish..
happy.gif

googlez82, zucchini and cucumber is from same family but cucumber is more watery than zucchini. Zucchini there are two colours, one is yellow, the other is green, has a sweeter taste than cucumber.

Parsnip is more like carrot than radish (also all same family), just that will have abit more fibre. To me, tastes like cauliflower.

dancingqueen, today I blended spinach and sweet potato together haha. The taste not so green. Tmrw I think I will try spinach and cauliflower.

googlez82, I enjoy shopping for my baby's meals. My fav supermarkets are Cold Storage and Market Place. The prices are a bit higher but they stock a wide variety of veg (some of which I didn't even know previously) and fruits, and they are usually very fresh. However, now that I've started offering porridge, I wld go wet market to buy threadfin and pork ribs.

enitsuj, spinach and cauliflower sounds adventurous. Let me know how it goes
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,
My new BP is up and running...got time can go check it out...
http://singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/7784600.html?1353457071

Wow think many babies are starting to walk now...mine can stand without support for a while
and squat down to come down..very lasy to walk which I am fine..
happy.gif
climbing everywhere every second and super cranky too as he is also teething and having flu too..think he has 6 teeth now
happy.gif
am also running out of ideas for porridge..Like so boring, loin meat, fish, loin meat...
Started giving my boy bread and cheeze and biscuits..he love them...mine is the normal Kraft cheeze..hehehhe
googlez82 (googlez82),
Ya heard from old ppl, if bb walk too early not good for their leg bone development..not sure how true though...

Enitsuj, bb can eat zucchini? I wanna buy it in the wet mkt bt the store seller told me its not suitable as its too cooling. I'm kinda confuse coz online research says can eat both zucchini and parsnip.

I'm quite experimental with my food choices for bb. For veg, he have tried pumpkin, carrot, sweet corn, potato, sweet potato, huai Shan, spinach, French bean, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet pea, tomato, capsicum, wolfberry, red dates.

Fruits he have tried apple, pear, plum, cherry, blueberry, papaya, avocado, banana, grapes n mango.

Porridge I'm giving him pork n threadfin with mixed brown rice. Also tried giving him tofu 3days ago mixed with his porridge. He is quite ok with it. He usually starts fussing after eating 1/3 bowl. Got to coax him to finish! Sigh....

He have also tried cheese(laughing cow) n bread n yogurt( occasionally) n biscuit n puff.

Bb doesn't seem too keen to try walking yet. He is quite happy to hold n stand n drop n crawl n climb around. Changing him is also a challenge!

momobb, eh I never really bother about cooling food or heaty food. I sorta follow the western way of feeding. hehe

Btw, mummies who feed your baby cod fish, do you find that your baby smells fishy after? My hubby and I noticed that after our son eats cod, the next day hair will smell fishy, even urine also smell fishy!

I haven't try cod fish.... Really got fishy smell eh?! I gave salmon b4 n notice that the porridge smell kinda fishy n bb after taking for 3 days, refuse to eat more. After that, refuse all fish in his porridge for 2-3wks. I tried again with threadfin on the 4th wk. he finally start eating again so I haven't dare to try n give other fish after

-i have posted this in the march thread as well, hoping to receive more suggestions.

Hi Mummies,

My son is currently 8 months old, for the past 2 days he's been crying alot at night and refused to sleep. I suspected its due to teething. He's actually having 3-4 upper teeths coming out at the same time. It must be a torturing moment for him right now. Anyone has any idea how i can make him feel better?

enitsuj, the poo and urine smell fishy..but i'm not sure about the hair and body leh...hmm...my bb usually eats threadfin, seldom takes other types..

bluesugar..i think chewing will help, say the pacifier or if ur boy doesn't use it, the bottle with water if he refuses milk? I find my gal chewing on the teat. I know it's not good but no choice, whatever that makes her feel better. Otherwise, there's only soothing and carrying and rocking.. which i've been doing for the past wk cos my gal's teething and sick.

Dear all,

Just wanna share my experience. My gal had fever and on the third day, came down with diarrhea. On the fourth day, brought to KKH Private Children's Clinic on recommendation by my colleague. By then, fever had broken, diarrhea about 5x a day and rashes broke out. Turned out to be roseola (fake measles). Did a google and realised all my bb went through are the symptoms of this viral infection, along with swollen eyes, lethargy, loss of appetite.

One way to differentiate between real and fake measles is whether fever still persists when the rashes break out. In the real case, fever will get even higher and the measles will leave behind brown scars, whereas the fake ones will just fade away.

This is the third day of my gal's outbreak of rashes, as of this morning she was still scary-looking (lol) and she was not drinking well, at least there is no fever and I"m reassured by the PD's diagnosis.

Just wanna share cos my husband and I had a fright on a saturday night and immediately brought bb to A&E on sunday morning. And then bring again on third day. I know it's very natural to worry especially first time parents like myself. But at least when u get to read others' experiences, u feel more empowered by knowledge and not ga-lang-ga-boh like my hubby and I were.. :D

googlez82: it must have been hard on you and hubby. I would have been worried like mad!! thanks for sharing the experience but if it happened to my bb, I think I'll probably go through wat you went through too. Hope your girl's better now. My girl has forehead outbreaks of pimples (with pus) but it goes away a few days after popping out. Think it's the way she scratches her forehead when hot.

dancingqueen: tried watercress at your suggestion! have also tried asparagus, which surprisingly turns out quite runny/watery? just tried avocado - bb doesn't like it! first time see her turn away or move backwards when want to feed her, so funny.. in the end we had to mix with fm & instant food to make her eat most of the avocado!

anybody tried huai san before? what is the english name and how do you cook it? As for zuccini I think I'll try it at a later stage as I think it is "liang"..

momobb: you tried grapes? with skin? direct from fruit or puree? wow, you are so adventurous! how do you do the tomatoes? steam and porridge it or mixed? o, just saw you made the huaisan, how do you cook it?

As for fish, I only tried threadfin (ngor her) so far. My girl eats 1 pork porridge and 1 fish porridge every day. I wonder if this is enough nutrients in addition to her 550-600ml fm? I see some of you still feeding cereal, should I revert to cereal?

Standing & crawling: I'm just letting baby go at her own pace..

What is the age that baby should go to playgroup? Reading about the difficulties many families have in registering their children and I'm still here relaxing. Wonder am I too relaxed? Why are some parents so gancheong when their child is only 1 yo yet, some so relaxed when their child is already 2yo?

hi mummies! wow, thread moving fast..
happy.gif

my boy's abt 1mth away from his 1st bday (28 dec).. bday party more or less settled liao, juz need confirm the guest list, order the buffet & put up the deco (shiss, still sounds like alot of work).. my boy can stand unsupported liao, but don't really wanna walk, prefer to crawl & climb ard (can climb up sofa by himself liao).. super hyperactive! but i'm glad he's not the only one.. heehee.. btw, i read that according to Glenn Domain, crawling more is good for mid-brain development, but i guess if baby wanna walk then walk lo, wanna crawl then crawl lo, let him/her develop at his/her own pace.. i gave my boy threadfin, salmon & cod, he ate everything, never notice abt the fishy smell thou.. hmm..

googlez, hope ur gal is alright liao?

jean, playgroup hard to get in la, need to queue for quite some time, due to limited space (esp in punggol/sengkang), tat's y ppl kanjiong.. but if u already have childcare arrangement (e.g. parents, maid, etc) & no hurry to put ur bb in playgroup then no need kanjiong lo..

googlez82, I know how you feel man. Went through the same thing with my son when spots started appearing on his feet! Went to A&E to eliminate the possibility of HMFD. But thanks for sharing!!

Jean, huai shan is Chinese Yam in english. Usually put in soup like with lotus root soup (seen my MIL put it in soup). Consistency is just like sweet potato, a little softer though. Cereal wise, for me is more for breakfast lah. Like adults eat cornflakes, so baby eat cereal lor hehe. If not also dunno what to give for breakfast. Plus cereal is iron fortified, so saves me finding out what food is high in iron!

time really flies right! juz too fast that our little ones are turning one. and a yr would juz be gone like tat soon.

brink:
i cannot view yr bp. its being removed?

googlez:
wow...very fast leh can walk at 9 mths. very cute to see babies walking!

Jean, avocado is yummy when mashed with banana. I tried to mix it with apple purée too. Once bb gets used to the taste, you can offer it in small cubes as finger food.

googlez82, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm a first time mum too and many times, I feel very uncertain aboutnah at to do when bb seems unwell or develops rashes.

jkids, my son is drinking from the straw since about 7.5 mths cos he reject milk bottles. so far quite okay, though sometimes he treats breastfeeding like drinking from straw also...-_-"

good monday morning all! thanks..my gal has recovered.
happy.gif

jkids, my gal still doesn't know how to drink from straw. even the avent spout cup she oso doesn't know how to drink from it.

fed her dragonfruit yesterday. cos nothing at home. and i din cook porridge for her. felt bad so decided to feed her dragonfruit..haha..hopefully it's ok..

jkids,
I have let my son try when he was 4 mths..can drink but chok and chok...never let him try after that...

Been down w fever for the past few days...no mood for anything...my boy also down w cough and think cause he teething..super cranky too...

I am getting bored of the porridge that I prepared f him...alway s loin meat w carrot or potato..see also sian...
wanted to give him fish but smell fishy..also dont really like...put giner already still fishy...anyone can advise??

mummies if you free can go take a look at my BP...got some really nice rompers and dresses...

BP : http://singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/7784600.html?1353457071

Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/JuniorCreation

Clothes link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/junior_creation/sets/

Brink, I added spinach/carrot purée and ikan bilis powder into my son's plain porridge one day bec no more fish. My son finished everything. So maybe you wanna try? Ikan bilis is packed with calcium. Last sat I also prepared pork/veg soup stock to cook porridge for him. I boiled a pot of soup containing pork ribs, carrot, corn and tomatoes for 2+hrs. Then I just poured into cubes and freeze it. To cook porridge, I just replace water with the soup stock and add in threadfin. For my cousins, they prep pork ribs soup stock. Also sweet.

jkids, my son still not drinking from straw yet. give him, he will bite & bite only. Still using spout mug.

brink, sometimes the porridge smell fishy but does not taste fishy. But bb will smell fishy after meal. :p
you can give broccoli, pumpkin, spinach porridge.

re: straw mug
do you all find it troublesome to wash the mug? thinking of introducing bb to drink water from mug leh...but dun like the idea of removing the parts to wash.

brink:
have u consider selling dresses other than hello kitty's?

hope mummies and bbies get well soon! in time for xma celebration!

Jkids,
I have other dresses on top of hello kitty dress
happy.gif
they are under the Korean collection and rompers as well...
Currently having promotion all rompers at $12 and hello kitty dress at $20. Only f today only
happy.gif

hello mommies
happy.gif

jkids
i let baby try before...she was blowing instead of sucking :p

dancingqueen
hmm good idea hor (soup stock)...maybe i should let her try that..arbo always pumpkin, carrot and sweet potato, i scared she got jaundice too.

jkids, yes it is sooo troublesome! i use the jap version of pigeon mag mag, so have to dismantle the lid (2 parts) and straw (2 parts), plus rubber ring to prevent leakage. So need to use brush for plastic parts and straw brush. Don't wash thoroughly every day also cannot cos sometimes got food stuff inside the bottle.

re soup stock, I haven't tried pork stock yet, but I usually do chicken stock, just bones, carrots and celery, and like dancingqueen, also put in ice cubes and freeze. Cook plain porridge, drain the water and replace with stock and veg puree.

moscato: tried pumpkin, spinach and broccoli..think other than spinach, the other two veg like got lots of air...
sad.gif
..dont dare to give too much also...
dancing queen..my son seems to hate banana w cereal...but with only banana only he is ok...so I also donno if he like it or not...lol

Back