(2011/02) Feb 2011

@Alys: Hihi and welcome on board!!

@Ah Ching: Is it because of Lucky Seven so bb is lucky?

@Michelle: Glad that you had a smooth delivery. How heavy is bb Marcus? Did you had an episiotomy or epidural? And did you experience any contractions before your waterbag burst? I believe that bb Marcus will grow healthily and be discharge soon. Now you got your bundle of joy to celebrate those oncoming festive seasons with you. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Take good care of yourself and rest more. Do update us when you are free.

@wish_child: I think Daddies just don't know the feelings which we felt thus they said we're silly to have this thought. Haha..

Trinket-

Definitely interested. =) Let me know how goes =) Try Pink Parlour as well? Heard they are quite good as well. =)

Zanta-

Hahaha. Yea. They can't imagine what it is like having a baby wriggle inside. They can only see from the outside.

HI Gals

NEed some advise my Jie engaged a nanny agency to do confinement for me and she buy the herbal tonic package from the agency

Consist of bathing herbal for the mth, red dates drink tea and 32 packs of mix 'Yao Cai' for the month

My MIL however is puzzled as she was told not to drink too much 'water' in case of water retention

I dont knw if i shd buy the package as my MIL is doing confinment for me? Any one knows if we need to drink tonic soup daily for 30days confinment? So confused now..

HI Gals

NEed some advise my Jie engaged a nanny agency to do confinement for me and she buy the herbal tonic package from the agency

Consist of bathing herbal for the mth, red dates drink tea and 32 packs of mix 'Yao Cai' for the month

My MIL however is puzzled as she was told not to drink too much 'water' in case of water retention

I dont knw if i shd buy the package as my MIL is doing confinment for me? Any one knows if we need to drink tonic soup daily for 30days confinment? So confused now..

@Geri: On Placenta Encapsulation, do we have to finish whatever amount is being made? Or need to leave some over for other issues?

Btw, Did you see any sales going on at NEX Isetan?

Mami B- What is ur email?

Drinking RED DATES TEA is fine. It is not considered water. I drank Red Dates Tea plus ginger and milk. Ginger helped further expel wind. Red dates has good vitamins for the baby and the mummy.

When they say dun drink water= they mean plain, unboiled water coz some ppl think it has wind. Scientifically, there is NO AIR inside boiled water. If u put a fish in cooled, boiled water, they will die. Lol.

Tonic Soup is fine as well. =)

Water retention is worse when u dun drink water coz ur body starts trying to retain whatever fluid is left. Drinking more water actually lessens water retention.

Zanta- Lol. I didn't even get to venture to Isetan lor. Kae was stuck in Kiddy Palace lol.

We dun have to finish it all at one shot. Can leave for later. =) Keep in freezer.

Joanne- Can't find u on FB yet. =) Is ur privacy setting on such that we can't search for ur email addy?

OK... going out now. Will add and reply more stuff later hehehe. Paktor anniversary celebrations await. See my FB wall to get what I mean hahaha. =D

Geri, I am already ur fren on face book [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] need me to pm u my real name? My picture is the family photoshoot with son in small bow tie n Hubby in suit.

Joanne, I guess your mil is referring to plain water. It's impt to take in fluids, soup and red date tea if you want to breastfeed. Not necessary to take in tonic soups daily. Drink more fish soup if you want to produce more bm.

For me, I drink solely red date tea during the first two weeks. Subsequently I start to drink warm plain water.

As for the herbal bathe, I bathe daily with it.

To me, I think different ppl needs different kind of confinement. Cuz some ladies their body is already more to heaty side, like me, therefore I can't take too much heaty food during confinement. End up with piles. Some are more to Liang side, therefore need extra tonics. I feel it's not one fits all.

Hi, anyone interested in getting medela freestyle US set? Gave birth recently so Only use for 5 days but i gave up bf.. Willing to let go at $400. Self collect at TPY. Pls pm me.

hi mommies & daddies

please do cast a vote for my little girl if you have a minute.

thank you so much for your kindest support

she is on page 1, Rice Lauren Xinru, 3 years old

to help vote please click here - http://www.lokimedia.com.my/gapcastingcall/

then choose "Singapore"

thank you once again [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif][IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi!

@ Geri: I think you are right cause I always sleep on my left side. I read somewhere that one is supposed to sleep on left side so I so guai I keep sleeping on left side until pain! I asked to take 2 weeks before I give birth... my EDD on 8 Feb but my p did ask me la.. if can teach until I give birth. Hahah I don't wanna get contractions in front of my students.

@Ah_ching: my gyane did ask me how come I got back pain that side. I was like.. I thought you are supposed to tell me @_@

@Zantarina: Thanks thanks!!

Actually, when I saw this site I keep seeing this "Placenta Encapsulation"; from what I gather it is something for us to take and it's made for placenta? What is it good for and how much is it?

Today was really a tough day man. Severe heartburns and multiple episodes of retching..

Never experienced heartburn before and this is the first. (-_-")

Tmr is my Gynae checkup and hope to hear good news on the amniotic fluids. It shall be my 32nd weeks tmr.

Saw a few questions directed to me but today really like half died in the office. Will answer u guys tmr..

Good nitez.. Mummies..

Alys-

Heya! I posted above about it.

Here it is again-

Articles on consuming Placenta-

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) experts claim the human placenta has been eaten by the Chinese for 2,500 years.

Dr Low Chai Ling, a medical director at the Sloane Clinic, says the Chinese believe it contains "qi"(Chinese for life force) and use it as a remedy for a whole range of problems such as lethargy, rejuvenating ageing skin and promoting breast milk production.

In Singapore, human placenta from China is readily available in a dried form from Chinese medical halls. Professor Xu Yi Jun, a physician from Ngee Ann TCM Centre, prescribes consuming 2g to 3g of powdered placenta daily to increase fertility and blood circulation and to make the body more resistant to disease.

===========

Dr Peter Chew, a consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist at Gleneagles Hospital, says that though people have been talking about "frying, drying and eating placentas" for years, his patients rarely ask to keep theirs.

He says: "Placentas are full of hormones, so theoretically, they should improve the complexion, even though there's no medical evidence to support this."

As for the possibility of dangerous side effects from consuming it, he says "there's no harm, seeing it's your own body's organ". But to be on the safe side, he recommends cooking the placenta before consumption.

========

Debi French was dreading the birth of her fourth child. She wanted the baby, to be sure, but she was terrified of being visited again with the overwhelming despair that came over her in the days and weeks after her last delivery.

French's midwife offered her an unusual remedy: She suggested the expectant mother ingest her own placenta as a means of allaying postpartum depression. The temporary organ was saved, dried and emulsified, then placed in gelatin capsules and taken by the mother in the months after the birth in December 2004.

"Before I actually did it, my friends thought it was weird," says French, 29, of Spokane, Wash., whose fifth child is due in August. "But when they saw how fast I recovered from my birth and they knew my history, they thought it was pretty neat. Now I have a lot of friends planning to do it."

The practice, known as placentophagy, is far from widespread and is received with great skepticism by more traditional medical experts. But among a small but vocal contingent of expectant mothers and proponents, it is strongly believed that the organ created by the woman's body to pass nutrients between mother and fetus and is expelled after birth is rich in chemicals that can help mitigate fluctuations in hormones believed to cause postpartum depression.

========

hose who advocate placentophagy, the eating of one’s placenta, in humans, mostly in modern America and Europe, Mexico, Hawaii, China, and the Pacific Islands believe that eating the placenta prevents postpartum depression and other pregnancy complications. The most general benefit of placentophagy, according to recent research, is that placenta and amniotic fluid contain a molecule (POEF, Placental Opioid-Enhancing Factor) that produces an enhancement of the natural reduction in pain that occurs shortly before and during childbirth.

==============

A testimony:

One of my MWs (MW- midwife) was telling me that she was a doula to a woman who had had to take some medication immediately post-partum. The medication was estrogen or somthing, and it had the foreseeable and immediate effect of causing her milk to completely dry-up, which the mother's obstetrician completely failed to mention to her before she took the medication.

Fortunately, the mother had saved her placenta. So, my MW cooked it for her, and the family ate it for dinner on Day 2 (after birth) with spaghetti noodles. I asked my MW...didn't they hesitate to eat it? She said that the mother knew that it was the only way to get her milk back in and fast. I said.. did it work? She said: Oh, yes. Very well.

Personally, I have difficulty imagining that I could eat my placenta raw because I have no experience with raw red meat, not even to prepare it for cooking. I do however eat cooked red meat... so I think that I could eat my placenta cooked (provided that someone were to cook it for me).

I had my most recent placenta encapsulated (see my post above)... I've been very fortunate to be able to take it. I'm now 3 months postpartum, and I have taken 2-3 capsules daily. This third post-partum period has been my best. I truly believe that the placenta capsules helped me.

See also-

http://placentabenefits.info/medicinal.asp

fei-

Oouch. Heartburn sucks. The times I've gotten it, I've always felt like I was having my heart ripped out of my chest.

Take antacid- Gaviscon, Mylanta- these help. Keep a bottle at home just in case so upon onset, quickly take. Dun wait.

If you are going to eat a huge meal or spicy meal or huge spicy meal... take the antacid before u go eat. That'll help.

Attended Mrs Wong last week lesson, she told us do not eat the placenta because it's most dirty part of the organ as all waste goes to there. She comicably tells us she don't understand why people wants to eat it. To me it's quite gross but if it's in pills, probably it doesn't look that gross. Haha

remember do not take multi-vits with antacid. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Felpoo, hope to hear good news from you tmr!

First baby, huh.. How come placenta is dirty? I thought it's most nutritious since bb food comes from there? And bb waste is passed into the amniotic fluid..

Night mummies.. Do you'll feel tired easily? Rest well!!

OFB-

I guess it depends on which POV you take. Lol. Having heard really good testimonials from people who took placenta pills second time around, and who didn't take it the first time around, and the difference they experienced, I'd take the placenta.

Mrs Wong says you should only walk half hour stretches in third tri... I dun believe in that either. As far as I am concerned, I walked for more than that whilst expecting Kae and more than that whilst expecting Noah & I am fine. Lol. In fact, because I did a lot of walking, my delivery was faster when it was time to deliver Kae. 15minutes and Kae was out.

I am sure if you ask doctors if walking for more than half hour stretches is okay whilst pregnant, they would tell u to go ahead. =)

If you take bird's nest for protein (bird's vomit) which is a TCM thing, then I think it is funny that you subscribe to the Western ideology for placentas when TCM will tell you go ahead and eat it- it is good. Lol.

Anyway, studies show that placenta is extremely nutrient rich, high in iron, protein, vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6 and of course, your own natural hormones, making it perfectly made for you, by you. Experts agree that the placenta retains hormones, and thus reintroducing them to your system may ease hormonal fluctuations.

Info on ingesting placenta from a TCM POV that I found online:

Traditionally, placenta capsules are used to help:

· Balance your hormones

· Increase milk supply

· Combat Fatigue

· Increase your energy

· Prevent signs of aging

· Recover more quickly from childbirth

· Replenish what was lost during childbirth

· Bring the body back into balance

· Prevent and treat the “baby blues”

· Shorten postnatal bleeding time

· Increase postnatal iron levels

Some even believe it can help:

· Build baby’s immune system

· With any type of trauma and life’s many transitions

· Weaning from breast feeding

· Heal bone breaks

· Regulate hormones during menopause

I first learned of mother’s ingesting their placenta as a supplement after childbirth while in school for Traditional Chinese Medicine. This has been in practice in China and many cultures for thousands of years. Almost every mammal ingests their own placenta after the birth, sometimes even ignoring the young until the placenta has been completely ingested.

Traditional Chinese Medicine has used placenta for thousands of years to augment the qi (energy), nourish the blood, and augment the kidney essence. In layman’s terms, it brings the body back into balance, replenishing what was lost during childbirth. In China it is also used for debilitating chronic diseases and widely used as an anti-aging treatment, as well as a variety of other ills, including fatigue and insufficient lactation.

The placenta is an endocrine organ, meaning it is a hormone producing organ. The placenta begins producing hormones at 6-8 weeks gestation to help sustain pregnancy. These hormonal levels continually increase during pregnancy, and by the third trimester there are 3 times the normal level of hormones in an expectant mother’s system. By 4-5 days postpartum, these hormone levels will drop to below normal. This is a huge fluctuation going from 3 times the normal level to below normal hormonal level, and this is where the healing properties of the placenta come into play.

Here are just a few of the scientifically known hormones and their functions that are produced by the placenta and are still viable and intact after delivery. Amazingly these hormones are such that are needed postpartum, so why would the placenta naturally create postpartum hormones if not to be used to replenish the new mother’s system?

• Prolactin: promotes lactation

• Oxytocin: for pain and bonding; also known as the “love” hormone

• Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infection

• Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: boosts energy and helps recover from stressful events

• Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks stores of energy

• Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia

• Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections

• Urokinase Inhibiting Factor & Factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing

These are just a few of the powerful healing hormones that the placenta produces, so doesn’t it make sense to safely welcome these hormones back into your system as well as your baby’s through your breast milk?

Wa...sounds very interesting sia. I will go read up and think about it. How much is it and how many capsules are there? How often do we need to eat it?

good morning mummies..

miaing for a while buit have been catching up

bz with u know wat.. settling lots of stuff and all....

will let u all know more.. now like no mood seriously

so is 9th confirmed coz i have applied half day leave and have taken some loot off my stall to show u mummies there...

michelle... take care.. i m sure u and bb will be fine

been sick, been.... hauiiiizzzzz

amazing miracle.. thank you for the encourangement smses u sent me.

mummies.. miss ya loads.. catch up soon ya

eviangal... help me order for bb mall online this month can??? sorry .. u know how many things were on my mind though list is completed 3/4 way

mummies... order bbmall online togther???

hi Ida

yup 9 Dec (this thurs!) is confirmed.

take care yah.... see you this thurs and we'll cheer you up! looking forward to seeing your rompers and bibs!

Good Morning Mummies!

Spent the last couple days trying to catch up with the posts. Looks like there are a number of hot topics here, including placenta consumption, mummies lunch outing, Michelle's delivery (congrats!), all kinds of aches and pains, and the last minute dash for baby preparation =)

For me, I've been kept pretty busy at work for the last 2 weeks and only now have I got a teeny weeny bit of breathing space. I'm due for my 32 week growth scan this Saturday but because I've decided to throw in a 3D scan as well, I've had to shift my scans to this Thursday instead as they don't do 3Ds on Saturdays. Apparently it takes really long, about 2+ hrs!!! Has anyone done one already and any advice to share?? Anyway, that's something for me to look forward to but as a result, have had to take half day leave this Thurs to spend all day at the scan place. Part of me is hoping the placenta has shifted safely up, but another part of me is also scared of natural birth ... actually, C-sect also sounds scary ...

I'm beginning to get the final-corner jitters now that my EDD is within sight! I've got 8 more weeks to go and that sounds really little ... excited but scared too as a first time mummy [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

For the baby prep stuff, I've bought more or less everything I need (don't want to get too much to begin with), except for nursing bras. Some pple tell me nursing bras and tops are not a necessity ... is this true?

As for doing up the nursery, well ... even though I've bought nearly everything, they are all still in their boxes/plastic bags in baby's room, so will still need to spend some time sorting it out, organising things, washing stuff etc ...

Gregda: I too bought the IKEA changing table. Initially, I didn't like it but having looked around many other places, I couldn't find anything else better so I bought the $59 one too. Now I really like it although the wood emits a funny smell! hopefully the smell goes away soon ... but I must say it's really spacious (although the winnie-the-pooh changing mat I bought from Mothercare doesn't quite fit on it ...luckily I bought the IKEA one too) and I like the bottom tier as can put lots of stuff. Hey, I never thought of putting the baby bath tub on top for bathing! That's a really good idea [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Nowadays, I'm feeling more tired because I keep getting up to pee in the middle of the night. On average, once every hour from midnight to 6 am! So that's 6 times a night. Sigh. And I have to get up at 6.30 am for work. Anybody has this same annoying problem?

Hope all mummies are keeping happy! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Gregda,

The lochia lasts for 3 – 4 weeks after delivery, depending on individual.

Re Swing and bouncer, I saw a $279 Combi Rashule high chair.. but don’t think it has swing and bouncer function leh, not sure if it’s the same one as the one you saw?

Yes, I know what you mean by “to-do” will always be “to-do”.. guys are mostly like that. They can stand things lying around and take action after some nagging. Ha!

Gregda/Jane/Nashita,

Thanks for the info on the Pureen pads.

Su,

Re Desitin - what is BP?

Re Swing/bouncer/rocker: so rocker can use longer as compared to swing and bouncer? Yup, look forward to your pic!

Eviangal: hope you are feeling better now.

Idaarshad,

What items are you ordering from bbmall online?

Princess,

How much does a 3D scan cost?

You have low placenta?

My sleep is also disturbed at night with 1 or 2 toilet trips, but not compared to yours – 1 trip per hour is very frequent! Cut down on the fluids you drink 1-2 hrs before you sleep? For me, some warm milk seem to help in better sleep too..

Hi all, I'm new here, in week 30 now. So happy to see all the 02/11 MTB here. Has anyone been experiencing menses cramp lately? I had been feeling the cramp when I wake up in the morning, not severe but just wondering if that is normal...

princess

wow 32 weeks already? I'm only nearing week 29 come saturday... before you know it, it'll be christmas, then new year's day, then CNY... then pop! for most of us!

i think it's good to get at least 1-2 nursing bras. You don't need it if you're home and can just remove your top, or intend to go bra-less 24-7. nursing bras and tops are just more convenient for nursing discreetly when you're outside. They are also convenient if you intend to wear a bra at home, cos then you don't need to take out the whole bra every three hours (or more often in the first few weeks when you are nursing on demand).

so far it's been ok for me...been able to sleep through most nights. some nights i feel like going to the loo so just once then am able to sleep thru again. it's been less insomnia and night peeing for me for pregnancy #2...

claire

Densitin - BP means bulk purchase. I swear by densitin creamy (blue box). It's so much cheaper to buy online from BP/Sprees - as little as $8.50 per box including postage as compared to $14+ from watsons. and it works really well for preventing/healing diaper rash.

check out the 'overseas spree' section of smh... we can afford to wait so can start ordering now. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hi mummies, pls count me out for the gathering because i am unable to get leave.. alot of backlog work to be done cos replacement for me just arrived.. have fun!

joodz, sure. take care!

here are the details, I've PM-ed all of you my number. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

9 Dec (Thursday), 12:30pm, shokudou, raffles city basement 1.

1. idaar

2. choc

3. kinderbueno

4. rachel

5. wish child

6. c nicole

7. trinket

8. unicorn

9. Eviangal (if 12.30pm)

10. Blue Potatochips

11. baywater (if gal recovers)

12. felpoo (after 2pm)

14. Geri

trinket: B-waxing how much is it??

i am also interested..

hi mummies, been having on n off pain at tummy..

so have been resting more n hope the pain will go away..

Morning Mummies

Desintin: My friend say a lot of doctors recommend it...another popular brand is Drapolene. I bought Drapolene at $8.50 at Guardian too. For nappy rash usage.

Princess: I can sense your excitement! Hahahhaa! 8 weeks will zoom past soon! I am 31 weeks today and is also a First Time mummy. Excited, nervous etc feelings are coming in right now. Nursing instinct is also strong! Imagine if baby comes out 2 weeks earlier, means we will be left with 6 weeks or so...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ikea Changing Table: No weird smell for me, but a lot of sawdust when setting up. I cleaned and cleaned...if not imagine all the dust coming into contact when changing diapers, creating more rash for the baby..eeews.

But yeah, agree its a good buy. for $59, pretty cheap. I also bought the Ikea changing mat..the size is just nice to fit into the changing table.

Yeah and i like the idea too to put the bathtub on the top tier of the changing table to bath the baby. Only thing is must carry the bathtub with water all the way from bathroom to baby's room.

Claire: thanks for the info on lochia. Think I will standby my 2 packs of dispsoable and 1 pack of Sofy first. Not enough then buy again.

Regarding the Combi chair, hahaha i think its the same one you're talking about. Its cream white and pale blue in colour, $279. Its not really a bouncer..but can rock the baby to and fro.

thanks trinket. I bought one at $9.60 at John Little after 20% discount. so i guess that's another option. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Mummies!

Pregnancy is a trial, sigh. I've taken more MC these past 7 months than I've ever taken in my life! Today I'm down with a urinary tract infection. Yesterday I felt alot of lower abdominal discomfort and some backache and nausea. I didn't have uterine contractions and the baby was still active and no bleeding so I ruled out the uterus as the cause of the discomfort. Called my hubby, who suggested the possibility of a urinary tract infection (UTI) so I tested my urine, and it was positive. Now I am on antibiotics, cranberry juice, lotsa water, and the doctor at the staff clinic at my workplace kindly gave me today off to ride out the discomfort.

PLACENTA CONSUMPTION

If I may be permitted to give a contrarian view on the matter (apologies to Geri![IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]), the hubby and I have talked this over and we've decided not to go for this. Admittedly we haven't done extensive research on the topic, but our gut feel is that hormones in the placenta may not get absorbed once eaten, they may be broken down into their constituent amino acids before they're absorbed, negating their effect. The testimonies of women who suffered from poor milk supply/depression postpartum, and subsequently had a better postpartum experience after consuming their placentas after subsequent deliveries, may simply be what is known in medical lingo as the "placebo effect"- ie they felt better simply because they took something. Taking sugar pills may have had the same effect on these women. Finally, mammals ingest their placentas immediately after delivery simply to eradicate any evidence that a birth had recently taken place, so as to avoid the detection of their newborns by potential predators. It's an evolutionary response to aid survival of their species, rather than for purported benefits of ingesting placenta.

As Western doctors, the hubby and I are natural sceptics of TCM and other medical or pseudo-medical practices that do not have the support of solid research. My last word on the matter, though, is that as long as the placenta is properly prepared and preserved, ie as long as you trust the encapsulation facility, there is probably no harm in consuming the placenta. If you firmly believe in it, and your finances permit, go ahead. My hope is that you reap all the benefits you desire from the experience.

btw to mums who have been wearing ur wedding rings everyday, you probably want to take them off before the fingers swell (if they do).

I have been wearing mine everyday, and before i know it, now it is stuck due to finger swelling! I have not put on weight in my arms at all, and god knows my fingers will swell! argh.

Tried soap/oil/cold water, but still doesn't work. the last alternative is to get the ring cut by jeweller and get it connected back later, but i'd prefer not to do so as it's my wedding band.

Claire, I've taken my ring off since week 21. My fingers are significantly more swollen now, and I really hope they will shrink back to their original size after delivering. You might want to get your rings off ASAP before they become so tight they cut off circulation to your fingers.

Our First Baby,

Eeer...I'm with you on this one. I find the thought of eating placenta gross! Sorry, no offence to all the mummies who are going to do so...

claire.. m ordering rompers...and stuff...

cnicole.. really got discount.. saw u gg to delay ur c sect??

trinket.. yippe ok.. i put i my leave now though my half day ends at 9.30am as i start at 5am... brought some loots but not the bibs.. but bibs are in my fb acct.. so can look see.. if anything interest.. lemme know

fiona

it should be around $45-$50 I think, if they allow us to share a package... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

B-waxing

interested mums:

1. trinket

2. felpoo

3. geri

4. fiona

Back