(2011/01) Jan 2011

mommies, got a question..

if you need to pump while u're outside.. how do u store the pump parts and how do u sterilize them when you're outside? am thinking of logistical problems if i'm outside without baby to latch on me..

xiaopang

i started with 3 hours interval till my supply stable then now changed to 4 hours interval. i drink watever including plain water.. I know pumping is messy but when you have used to it, you will bcome expert and less messy for sure..Pinky's idea also good =)

Gina,

same same..i irritate my baby by touching her nose..haha

Mummies,

Question abt ebm,

Lets say i warm up a 100ml refrigerated ebm. But bb just drank 10ml n he dozed off. Then he wake up again 15min later for milk, i can use back the same ebm i warmed just now right? As long as within 4 hr bb finished that bottle of milk?

puix,

Frozen EBM is 1 hour, not sure about refrigerator EBM. I always thaw frozen EBM in refrigerator, aim to feed within 12 hours, keep 1 hour at room temperature after warm. If khloe refused to wake up after 1 hour, I will discard the balance

Puix2,

Actually if it's reheated ebm I will make sure to use within 1hr, not 4hr. But yes, if bb drank some then fell asleep n woke up within tat 1hr, I will give back to bb to drink.

Pinky,

what is fenugreek? where can i get it and does it have any side effect cause we are breastfeeding?

Gina,

Thks for your advise. I will try your method. hehe.. i even try let her latch 1 side then change diapers and then when she is awake i let her latch another side.

Kimmy,

I cant even hit 4oz dont say 7oz. so sad. hate the blocks.. got to massage and is like dripping away. wasting the milk. haha.. thinking of my milk is so limit already yet still got to let the milk drip away just like that. haha..

Pumping every 2hours will we run out of milk? i think mine will leh.. or is it we should drink ton of fluid every hourly so that we can get more supply?

Thks all for the advise. I will try out all ways.. =)

xiaopang,

fenugreek is safe for us, it meant to boost up milk supply. my gynae also recomment fenugreek to me. You can buy from hospital's pharmacy or GNC.

You should latch you baby the same side till empty, if you did not empty the breast, your body will think that you do not need so much milk, that's why your milk supply drop. If pump every 2 hours, the milk supply sure not so high, but the intention is to tell your body that you need more milk. your body will continue to produce milk, will not run out of milk..

understand about the wasting. I also like that, feel heart pain when I accidentally drop the bottle and milk flow out.

Dun limit yourself, drink more fluid, no need to count timing =) Just need to remember to drink more more more fluids...hmm..should make myself a cup of milo now..

Anyone using pigeon milk warmer? What temp did you set to heat up refrigerated EBM? Manual said best is 40 degrees for 17mins. This so long! My bb impatient to wait till then. So an using 70 degrees for 5 mins. Hopefully won't be too hot and destroy the nutrients in the milk.

pertaining to heat rash,

was recommended to get this bath foam from the medical hall when i was there for the dry bitter gourd as per suggested by some of the mommies here.

the lady boss upon hearing my dilemma, recommended the bath foam "Ba Wang" 霸王植物原液沐浴露 as no additional cooking/boiling is required (which is a plus for me). It is just like our normal shower foam which contains chinese herbs (such as Honeysuckles, Peppermint and Green grass) to relieve itch and heat.

so far after using for couple of times, the rash seemes to have subside a bit (pray hard it will go off), for mummies who do not have the additional time/manpower to boil the bitter gourd you may be interested in trying this.

Hi all

I need some help:

The BM in my refrigerator freezer compartment is stored for about 4 weeks and i notice that after defrosting the BM's colour is slightly more yellowish compared to those in the refrigerator and it has the fish oil smell. My girl refuse to drink...is it a sign that the BM is spoil

xiaopang and kimmy, i just tried something new yesterday.. my boy also gets irritated with i tickle his ear.. haha.. sometimes he will drink halfway then start to nibble only.. when i tickle his ear, he starts drinking again.. u can try that too! haha

xiaopang.. you will get used to the pumping and messiness and learn to manage soon.. i rem initially i had no milk coming in, only can pump out abt 5-10ml on each side.. when i accidentally spill my milk.. my heart ache like dunno what lo!!!

whisp.. the BA WANG product, i noticed got honeysuckle.. just to inform mommies whose babies got G6PD deficiency, cnnt use this product. Honeysuckle is one of the chinese herb that G6PD deficient babies shld stay away from..

oh no! i was not aware of that. thanks nimkulut for your input. guess i shall keep the product away from my girl liao.

Kimmy,

We just the the sales assist we want to buy fenugreek can already? is it expensive?

1 thing that i am not sure about is how we know whether we have empty our milk? cause we cant see at all. I can only go by feeling it, if its totally soft. but when i try to use my hand to squeeze there are still milk flowing out drip by drip but when i use the pump to pump there is nth flowing out anymore.

Btw how long did you all pump and how long does your baby latch on? mine max is 15mins only. because she doze off very fast. i try disturbing her by rubbing her hand or tickle her neck and even tickle her ears but she just dont want to wake up. so sad!

=(

flyingpig,

i bought pigeon warmer but i gave up using it. i also turn to 70, i though when the light is off mean milk already warm up, end up is not, just the water is heated, this is the same traditional method, using hot water n placed the milk bottle inside. i found it not useful leh, unless i use the wrong way which i diden realize..

Gina,

thanks for the tips. i will try next round..hehe

xiao pang,

yes, we can just walk in and buy, dun need doctor's prescription. i bought mine from TMC's pharmacy, 90 capsule - $24-$26 (cant remember), many other mummies here buy from GNC 100 capsule - $27.

like wat u say, only by feeling it lor, but normally i will continue to pump for few more minutes even tho no more milk coming out. which pump u r using? im using medela freestyle, using L7/L8 when pumping. i pump 10minutes, then stop, massage, then continue. total abt 15minutes.

last time when i latch my baby, also abt 10-12minutes only, when i change breast, khloe just ignore and continue her beautiful sleep

all mummies,

one side of khloe's ear is more dirty & got bad smell, watery and i can see the dirt around the ear's hole. i brought her to polyclinic 2 days back, doctor say is normal, but i still think it's abnormal. i scared is infection. any mummies encounter the same?

Kimmy: You mean Khloe didn't reject FBM at first try? If my baby rejects, should I not give up and try again the next day until her palate gets used to the metallic taste? Do you make it a point to feed her FBM once a day?

Can also share how you store and prepare FBM for Khloe? You said u thawed in fridge and aim to feed within 12 hr but I realised I needed at least 10 hr for my FBM to be completely thawed.

About the milkbag, I've been using blueegg, running out so switching to Nanny. Can share which brand got strong plastic smell? Better to avoid...Big Thanks!

Mrs Loh: Could your case be the same with mine? Mine is also slightly more yellowish but no fish smell. Only it tastes like metal. Agreed with other mums here that it's not spoiled. More info here http://workandpump.com/storage.htm (courtesy of Grumpus. Grumpus, thanks!!!)

About pumping:

Agreed must persevere in it to build up and stabilise supply. To me, drink plenty of fluid is also a must. Oooh, we can take Milo too? My hubby said no because chocolate=heaty. Once I asked him to buy Anmum chocolate coz I'm craving and end up with Vanilla instead *_*

bluehime,

no leh..khloe diden reject at my first try..if you are a working mom and wan to feed your baby till at least 6 months, u gotto start storing your milk, otherwise, dun think is sufficient when you are back to work. If I were you, I will keep trying cos have too, otherwise, how to cop after we go back to work. I slowly increased the number of EBM till now 90% EBM. only when the frozen milk is not fully thaw then I will give her fresh BM.

ops, is 24hours including thawing time. I store using nanny storage milk bag. I will *remove* the air inside the bag b4 I zip. I just bring 2-3 bags (total about 15oz) everyday to refrigerator to thaw. e.g, I bring out at 5am, I will make sure by next day b4 5am, I will have feed her the milk. Mine also need about 8-10 hours to thaw.each feed is 4oz, that mean that round can finish after 3 feed plus. is about 9 hours (3 hour interval feeding time) so still on time to finish all thawed milk within 12 hours (start count after fully thawed).

I dun remember which brand has strong smell. I read it from SMH, let me go find and share the thread link later.

Drink milo,

Ya, it's heaty so I dun pour a lot of milo powder, and at the same time, drink more water.

kimmy, better bring khloe to see PD to check again. My colleague's son gotten ear infection twice. I asked him how he detected, he said ear was smelly.

Do be careful not to let shampoo enter their ears, can cause ear infection. The CL always folded his ears when shampooing so I follow suit.

I have been smelling my boy's ears after every bath since I started bathing him after CL left.

Pumping duration n strength

oops just reaslised I may be pumping at too low a strength? I only use L3/4 depending on nipple soreness. Is this why I can't get very much out? And no, I don't pump after latching it's always after a 3-4hr interval.

Milkbags,

I very optimistically bought lansinoh milk bags but who knows I barely have enough to do current feeding.

Period return,

anyone's period started already? I suspect mine has. Haf the bright red flow n feel a bit crampy. But it's only been 7 weeks. Feel a bit cheated as I thot I wld have a longer holiday from my menses.

Kimmy,

I am trying to drink alot of fluid now. is like water parade.. omg!

I am currently using pigeon breastpump. could it be pigeon pump is not as good as medela? Medela i heard of it but what is L7/L8 etc? the price is abit expensive too. i thot of buying but given the rate of my supply now i better dont risk. And is it convinent to bring it out or only suitable for home usage? suitable to bring to work also?

when i try to pump out my milk each time i realise within a minute or so my milk flow have slow down already and i got to start massaging and pump and massage then pump again. sad thing is i dont even need 15mins to pump finish my milk. =(

my milk is not enough to satisfied my darling. can i feed her with formula after i breastfeed her? my supply is only max 2oz and she can take up to 3-4oz now. stress =.=

what is FBM, EBM etc? Abit confused. hehe..

luckymummy,

i thot breastfeeding will stop the menses from coming? no?

luckymummy,

if you wan to BF for long, is best to pump out after latching, then only your body know u need more milk, otherwise, your body will tot it's too much since every time cannot empty the breasts.

latctation consultant from TMC asked me to use L7 and above, so i just follow the instruction.

xiaopang,

fluids is gd so dun worry..

never use other brand of pump, so not sure if pump affect milk flow. L7/L8 is the suction level, higher number will have stronger suction.

may be next time when u pump, u dun think of milk flow, read some book, forget abt pumping milk. relax your mind n body.

some say not gd to mix BM & formula, but some mummies say ok.. or u compile 2 pump then only feed your baby, tat mean one feed with full formula, the next feed will full BM. dun stress about not enuf milk for baby, will affect milk supply. think and choose a solution n be patient and dun miss each pumping schedule.

FBM means frozen brestmilk.

Kimmy,

I try not to think about it. haha.. but just cant help it. will pump regularly and even after latching.

Maybe i should consider changing pump too. because pigeon breastpump i have already adjust to the max for the suction and speed too. haha..

Kimmy how much you bought your breastpump? is it easy to carry out and go work?

why do we need frozen milk? we can let them latch on and pump out and let them drink on the next feed ma.

Kimmy,

oh dear maybe that's why my output is low, tend toforget to drink water, pump suction is low n didn't latch/pump dedicatedly. Sigh. Now latching bb n she's very sleepy. Also dunno how long she wld actually take to empty the breast.

xiaopang

haha...so u must do something to distract your mind..reading also good even a small catalog.

Mine is US set, my sister bought for me. after conversion, cost me around SGD450. very small and easy to bring. I even bring to Genting Highland during CNY. no matter what type of pump you are using, sure is 1 extra bag..

My baby drink 4oz every 3hours, now she seems to change to 3.5-4hours each feed, i pump 7oz every 4 hours, she cannot catch up the amount that I pump, so I need to store the balance. frozen milk can also keep for at least 2 months, I wan to feed my baby BM at least 6 months, 1 yr will be best. and when I go back to work, I might not be able to pump so regular during working hour, afraid milk supply will go down also.

Also, If I latch my baby, she will wake up every 1 hour plus and cry for milk cos she fall sleep easily during feeding time, and in the end still need to train her to drink every 3 hours, so that I have time to rest and do some other thing.

luckymummy,

if you dun wish to store the milk, may be after latching, u just pump for few minutes, you can let baby bath with the milk. must let your body know you need more milk, supply now is not sufficient. the only way by telling is to pump (few minutes) even tho already empty..

kimmy,

I wld love to be able to store excess bm...but there is no excess. thinking about it makes me stressed and when I'm alone at home with baby and she's fussy for several hours at a stretch it's difficult to find the time to pump/sterilise all the stuff so often.

btw, when you say pump a few minutes after latching, how long is a few minutes? TIA!

Kimmy,

I am following your instruction but i watch drama to distract my attention of pumping out. but what irritates me is pigeon only got 1 side pump so waste extra 15mins. so tired..

The set you are using is freestyle? i think singapore is selling nearly 800+ near to 1k. omg! So expensive? You think is really worth buying?

Now i let my baby drink 3oz and trying to time see how fast she will cry for milk again. Formula can last 3-4hours.

I drink so much water until i keep go toilet >_< but milk supply never increase.. so sad la!

kimmy,

pertaining to pumping to increase milk supply, how do you schedule the expressing? my girl is drinking like 2hrly or more frequently during evening time, so after latching on if i pump out the excess (if there's any *sigh*), by the time i need to feed my girl, i'm worried that i won't have any milk left for her to drink.

i've medela freestyle pump, but only tried L3 to 4 suction levels, and it has already caused me pain liao, could i have use the pump wrongly?

TIA!

Hi mummies,

Letting go of Medela PIS Advance (Backpack) @ $420

Good condition. Used only a few times.

Warranty included till June 2011

Interested parties, kindly Email me: [email protected]

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/3877999/5148817.jpg]

Xiaopang,

Don't stress up. U can follow Kimmy's guidelines. I oso try to drink as much as water, be it milo, red dates drink (i'm still drinking the red dates drink though i'm off confinement ), etc. It's ok to keep going to toilet, just drink more fluid to keep yourself hydrated. Can try to drink hot beverage b4 latching on or pumping, this can help to fasten the let down.

Actually i think all the above suggestions are correct, like drinking more fluid, pumping regularly and keeping on pumping for 1 or 2 min after breasts are empty. But it also depends on individual's genes. Like myself, i will not be able to produce 7oz every 4hrs, though i would say i have greater supply of milk this round (this is my 2nd pregnancy). The most i can fetch is 125ml per 4hrs pump.

But still then, just keep on trying. We all just want to have the best for our kid [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

luckymummy,

to be honest, I got a hand-me-down avent sterilizer but i diden use it at all..too troublesome. My method is everytime when I need to use the bottle, i will sterilized using the hot boil water. been doing this since start. Lazy of course, but also dun wan my baby to be overly clean. No offend, I see many many malay kids playing at the HDB's common area, without wearing shoe, roll on the floor..etc.. Their body immune system is so much stronger than a lot of Chinese kids. I even wish to change my method to just sterilize ONCE with hot boil water for 5 minutes on every morning, wash after used then air dry. After that no need to sterilize anymore.

Understand when baby cranky,refused to sleep and need attention, we really won't have time to do other things. I got in law to help me but I did stay alone with baby and she fussy, I just carry the pump motor and stay next to her and pat, unless she need carry then no choice, cannot pump but will pump once she is settled down.

I usually will continue to pump 2-3 minutes, cannot pump too long, pain..=S

Xiaopang,

Agreed.. freestyle is really expensive. Last time I also keep thinking and thinking cos i dun know if I will have milk to pump. End up still go ahead to buy it with eyes closed.

It's worth buying, but also depend to see if you willing to spend and try out cos not cheap overall.

Only plain water u r drinking? I drank a lot of milo and I seldom visit to the toilet leh. only drinking does help but cannot expect to see sudden increase, need more combination - rest, relaxation while pumping, regular pump (need time to tell your body). Dun give up k..

Whisp,

I did not latch my baby now, fully bottle feed with EBM. I remember last time I can pump for 15minutes, and then follow by latching. baby diden cry for no milk. Now cannot cos lack of sleep. After I pump then latch, baby fussy cos now she is growing, suction also bigger, when no milk, she cry till tearing down the house.

HHmm..now if I switch to L3/4, i will feel the suction is too low. If caused pain then hard to increase the suction. later more pain. did you try increasing the suction level, how do you feel? I sometime will feel the pain also, i will let go the shield then put back, let my nipple rest few seconds also best.

BTW, my girl has pimple like dots on her face, i'm not sure if they are heat rash or due to BM though i try wipe the BM off her face after each feed.

Anyone has the same experience as me ?

xiaopang,

actually one more reason for me to fully bottle feed my baby is bcos too tired to latch her (almost every hour), and that tiredness caused my milk supply drop drastically. I feel sad and stress about the decreasing. I ask myself what exactly I want. I want to latch baby or I want to give my baby breast milk.

To me, very clear. I wan to give my baby the best. hence, I choose to fully bottle feed her so that I can have regular pumping schedule. I can only pump about 4oz every 3 hours, sometime less then 4oz. I feel sad and disappointed, and the storage bag can fill up to 6oz, so every pump is like a wastage for me. But i keep telling myself, I can afford to buy the storage bag. So I just continue to store whatever that I can pump out. By doing this way, I can catch a short nap together with my baby in day time, slowly my supply increased.

Rest is really important.

millie,

My baby also has..it's normal..and it will disappear whithin 1 or 2 days, then another pimple will appear at other place. It's normal, dun worry.

My baby now is 2 months old. She got rashes and pimples when she was 2-3 weeks old till 1 month plus. After the rashes gone, her cheek got the *milk rashes*, also normal. Just make sure to clean her face after every feed. If you dare, wipe her face with her urine. I did 2 times =S..now her face ok already

kimmy,

I drink plain water, red dates water and milo kosong(at times). Sometimes i do drink meiji fresh milk. Hoping milk produce milk haha!

Yea I have decided to invest in the freestyle too. cause can pump both side on the goal and even midnight i wont feel lazy to pump cause faster. keke..

pray hard milk supply will increase soon. =(

Hihi

Am also using freestyle but not using level 7 as i feel so painful using that only at level 5 [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I am alsotrying to increase my ss... me worst can only pump ard 4-5hrs than can get 140-160ml... and i total up dun think i hav enough to store..am taking anmum too but not taking fenugreek yet as am taking chinese tonic pill can mix or not? scare got side effect lay..

Like Kimmy i also try drinkin lots of fluid and worst like my body not enough water as i seldom go toilet de..

My gal also hav rashes almost 2 months liao her pimples still around wo..i nvr apply anything jus clean it only..hope will go away soon..as she like to rub her eyes and face so i nvr apply any cream scare she will clean it and will leave it on her mitten and she will put it in her mouth...

xiaopang

dun stress ok? i started off w 2oz when i started pumping and feel upset. now i've a range of 4-7oz. though not really enuff but i'm glad that at least i can give him 1 full feed of BM and the next feed w FM.

increase BM by:

-fenugreek

-massage your breast before and as u pump

- increase protein intake (fish, protein drink, milk, etc)

- fluids (was told that plain water doesn't really count. red date tea is good for increasing BM)

- relax and dun be conscious of the amount all the time

- pump for a few min more even after breast is empty OR hand express to check that breast is empty

- power pumping on weekends when u can afford the time

-

Lily,

My girl's rashes come and go. Her pimples can suddenly increase by a lot less than a day [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Thanks Pei Fang,

for me am only not taking fenugreek the rest all i already done..really hope my ss can go up more..so i hav extra to store.

Hi Millie,

My gal also like tat sometimes her eye area will also hav..small red rashes come and go..let it be la..see unless it get worst if not it shld go away i hope 3 months time?

millie, lily

Ya, my girl also..can suddenly see a lot of rashes on her face..it's normal..I even bring her to see doctor hahha..yes, baby from 0-3 months will have rashes (of course not all baby the same). No need to apply anything..

Supplement to increase milk supply,

My gynae prescribe *molidium*. I dun think I spell it correctly. Can google it, need to rush off to my baby now..ciao

Chabby,

I try not to think about the amount already. but i am worry that my milk supply will just stop here. as now my baby is month old already and my milk supply is still so little. can we still increase the milk supply now? so worried.. =(

kimmyksc

You stored your BM in the compartment of your fridge with your frozen food? Usually how long can we store these BM there?

Back