(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

sweetkiss -- for mine, no, she doesnt.. cause u wont want milk to leak during massage.. lol... but.. if u are engorged and badly swollen milk ducts.. u can request de... for me, i dun encourage putting oil on our boobs.. i prefer warm towel method and massaging myself..

serene,

agreed but no pt sharing such info wif MIL who will just use it against me for showering. :p

sweetkiss,

true wuah. anyway think wif #1 as precedence, my #2 confinement should be easier liao since MIL knows she cant bully me into anything i dun wan to do. worst scenario? she will just bad-mouth me to her relatives again, no big deal. *shrug*

on the post-natal massage, i m not sure cos didnt get round to doing one before, & also wun be intending to do one this time round, so afraid cant comment. paisey...

crystal -- actually we also never bother to tell my MIL... lol.. we jus do it ourselves.. she only boils herbs when i tell her to prep.. and she makes the tea for me.. the rest, i manage myself. will she be with u during confinement period?

Serene>> shower b4 massage so if I'm hvg massage 5-7 days, means everyday also need to shower, heehe.

Think as long as shower with boiled water & herbs shld be ok lah...as for hair, I'm keeping my hair short, so wash every other day shld be ok.

mrslong -- she comes everyday? for me, she doesnt wor.. she comes every 2 days cause the wrap will need to put it on till the next day (which i never endured that long) lol.. she will come every 2 days...

check with ur massage lady lor.. i ask a lot of qns before she comes.. lol..

But all the talk of no bathing during confinement hor, i also dun understand why? Why we cannot bathe? I mean even if we bathe, then wat will happen? At hospital after delivery we also need to bathe right? So you mummies gg to bring the herbs to hospital?

I heard that in the olden times, cos ppl get their bath water from river and well. So its not that clean, thus they will refrain for bathing, or will boil the water before bathing. Not sure if got other reasons on why cannot bath.

Serene>> oh, i dunno if she comes every day cuz never did such massage b4. Will check with Mdm Ida on the 1st day then.Tks.

sun_tan>> the no shower, no cold drinks, no aircon, no fan, etc....it's also more for prevention of "feng si" aka rheumatism.

suntan -- we bathe, got water aka shui qi that will be absorbed into the body... if we never towel dry our body very very dry (which we cant, cause of our hair).. the moment we step out of the toilet, we will trap wind in our body which will be hard to get rid of.

the herbs help to prevent the wind and stuff from entering our body... and rice wine will evaporate fast...

actually i dun shower when i discharge.. but hor.. after my 1st experience, i will be doing so but with hot water and towel myself super dry.. lol.. and wear long pants..

serene,

she was during my #1's confinement but would not be for my #2, not much i hope cos i oreadi have my maid ard, so the lesser i c of MIL the better = lesser naggings...

crystal -- well done! lol.. i stay with my ILs.. haha.. but she is that kinda MIL that will not bother to take care of me.. and try to chap one leg still.. lol.. NATO (No action talk only)

during my last confinement, i jus close the door nia.. u know la, confinement that time eat food sure perspire.. she will keep saying "good good, its ok la.. dun wipe away" -.-

she wanted me to dine in the room too..! lol..

oh..ahah didnt know that! But i tot we can on air con, just that no fan. Will blow dry the wet hair before stepping out of the toilet. should be able to help bah.

Bath - I also bath. somemore i bath with warm tap water. Before I gave birth, I told my mum, cannot don bath, must bath. Know why they always say women after giving birth will have hair loss, cos they don wash their hair. Specially those with oily hair. can die de. just that i bath in the morning. after i wash my hair, i faster blow dry my hair.

there was once my relative come on the 12th day of my confinement. she start complainting why i never wear long sleeve, long pants, never wear slippers, y my mum bought kwek tiao soup for me to eat, if nothing to eat, can only eat biscuit with milo. then start to say her DIL that time confinement stay in her rm all day, even had her dinner in her rm.. etc... Lucky i haven't go bath yet, else she got more to say. sigh...

I attended the antenatal course by wong boiboi, and she encouraged all of us to bathe. Her reasons why we have this tradition to not bathe are as follows (if i can remember fully)

1) Tradition comes down from olden china where the weather is very cold thus easier to catch a cold.

-> However, we have modern technology now.. what we call water heater and hair dryer.

2) They don't have proper stitching and so bathing in water that is not clean will cause infection on the wound.

-> We have very good stitching by professionals now and our water in SG especially, is definitely very very clean!

3) Some places in China last time do not have proper piping system and so they need to bathe in rivers which brings us back to point #2

-> Definitely we do not bathe in rivers!!

So thus, I have come to my own conclusion that I will die in misery and be terribly depressed if I dont bathe and wash my (surely) oily hair~!

But it is up to individual lah [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My MIL also funny lor. My grandparents in law live next unit only. Usually MIL does cooking at grandparents’ house. Yet she ask me to buy new rice cooker to put in her house. Then CL will cook for me & I will eat there. (Grandparents think confinement very dirty so I am nt allowed to step in their house.)

But wad for rite? If it is just rice for me only why cant get my hubby to go over and bring me a bowl since she will be cooking for whole family?

Waste $. Might as well ask me to get new pots & pans.

suntan -- my massage lady say.. can stay in a/c rm.. but u cannot come out.. condensation also cause water vapor.. then r u gg to let bb sleep in a/c rm with u? if yes, then what if she gets used to it? a/c rm temp is not good for bb's lungs.. lol..

serene,

i salute all who can stay wif ILs. i know i cant - not at a long stretch cos i need my own room to do stuff, etc. but since u guys stay together & she dun take care of yur needs during confinement, who does she expects to do tat for u? u getting a confinement nanny then?

mine gave me lots of bl**dy rules back then till i cannot tahan, almost fall into depression: -

- cannot shower, cannot wash hair

- must cover up from top to bottom

- can oni walk around with slippers or socks

- cannot watch tv

- cannot sit in living room

- cannot surf the internet

- cannot carry baby

- cannot switch on air-con, oni can have fan blowing at level 1 mode

- cannot change bed sheets for 1 mth

- can only sleep or lie down for 1 whole month

- cannot go out (ie: go out for gynae & PD checkups also kenna non-stop grumblings from her)

- cannot chat wif frens on phone, etc....

but she can invite her auntie frens to my hse w/o informing me throughout tat mth & imagine the shock i ve when i open my bedrm door to see strangers sitting in my hall?!!!

well, in short, obviously i didnt follow thru on all her above rules...

sweetkiss -- old pple think during confinement its very dirty.. cause of the layer of coating on baby.. the clothes we wear during confinement also cannot wash with other pple's clothes.. and after confinement must cleanse the room.. i remember mil using holy water to clean a luggage that i was returning to my friend after my confinement.. lol..

well.. whatever that makes them happy lor...

suntan>> actually i think air-con & fan can be used during confinement, just make sure it doesn't blow @ you directly.

crystal -- dun salute me.. im at the verge of having war with her.. haha.. i stay with her for 5 years liao.. im jus waiting for a place to move..

nope, no confinement nanny.. cause my FIL will help me bathe bb.. the rest is my job. my FIL is expert when it comes to taking care of bb and kids.. my niece and nephew were taken care by him since young..

as for confinement food, my mom will cook and hubby will go pick it up.. only the last 2 weeks when my hubby is back to work, i order confinement tingkat.

wash clothes -- hubby help me.. undies, i wear disposable ones..

i wear slippers in the house, i was chased back to my room when im in the living rm..

haha.. thats why its called.. CONFINEment wat... lol

crystal>> wah! your MIL is pretty extreme & old-fashion....i cannot imagine living under such rules.

As though under house arrest or worse, heehe.

Serene-ya so long as they are happy. but if my MIL overdo it i think i will be freaking pissed..i scare she will complain this n that to my hub..so keeping my finger cross..

serene,

Most prob will let bb sleep in the spare room, which would be the nursery room for the 1st mth, cos the CL will take care of the bb at night.

For now i am staying with my in laws. But luckily our house coming in end apr. So will move over before bb is out. At least i can do my confinement in peace. My own parents not that particular and doesnt really care whether i bathe or not. So just need to keep it from my in-laws side. Even my FIL also quite patang about such stuffs. Just last sunday we went out to eat, then my FIL say i cannot drink the tom yam soup which they order, cos got sotong inside. Cannot eat..then dessert got duo hua, also dun let me eat..

Crystal,

Wah! Why cannot sit in living room, watch TV or surf net!??! Wah can only sleep and lie down for 1 mth! lol..then how to bf bb?

huh what's the logic behind these?

- cannot watch tv

- cannot sit in living room

- cannot surf the internet

- cannot carry baby

- cannot change bed sheets for 1 mth

- can only sleep or lie down for 1 whole month

- cannot chat wif frens on phone, etc....

Juz now my own mother called earlier mentioned she already find me a metal pail. for storing hot water for bath, she said the plastic ones may warp... I only say orh orh, dont think going to use that for my bath lor... I have been using the plastic ones to hold the water from the water heater... no warp leh...

Because I do not have an electric heater, she wanted me to borrow from my SIL so as to boil water faster for drinking and bathing...why must use boiled water leh? sterilised water yar?

Serene>> holy water to clean luggage?? wah! i din know the extent some old folks view confinement. sorry la, but i find that quite ridiculous, since all babes comes from mothers' wombs

you're ordering from Natal Essentials right? have you considered Florence's Kitchen? i tried to search for reviews on the latter but couldn't find any. their menu is about the same but Florence's Kitchen is cheaper - btwn NE and newbaby

ica,

Precisly!! I tot huby the same thing (all bb comes from mother's womb), so meaning all of us are dirty lah! lol...

ica -- cause bb come out got the white white colour thing.. and that layer will only completely go off after 1 mth (according to them)... others are all not allowed to enter the confinement rm... if got helpers, need to bao them ang bao aka lai si..

eliss -- cause need water that is hotter than heater water.. and u also need to make milo drink ma... lol...

its rather ma fan.. but... close one eye.. confinement will be over..

crystal -- i also dun understand why u cannot carry bb.. its like DUH...... if anyone dares to stop me from carrying baby.. i will carry the baby and run away. lol.. i also tell my hubby that... lol

Besides confinement, I have 1 more thing to worry abt.

I will send my bb to infant care when I start working. Due to my work hrs, I cannot fetch her home on time & hubby has to do it.

But hubby has classes up to 3 times a week. So my MIL offered to pick bb up for us if hubby not free. (this is the other MIL who I am nt staying with.)

but I am really reluctant abt it because I am afraid she will feed my bb junk.

last weekend when we went out for lunch, she was carrying my 4mth old cousin and keep feeding her the ice-jelly dessert she was having. like some small pcs of the jelly with the syrup. How …

Cannot watch tv / surf net - to them we have to let our eyes to rest, cannot strain it.

sleep / lie down - cos our 子宫 is weak after giving birth, so to let it recover. that y maybe no carry of bb, i know cannot carry heavy things.

serene,

hope u dun mind me being blunt but i reai cant see the value of u staying wif yur MIL, may as well move over to do confinement at yur mum's plc. tat will save ur hb the hassle of fetching yur food & u subsequently ordering in. i dun mean to say we ve to treat our MILs as maids but basically if we are staying with them & having confinement, shouldnt they do the basic of cooking our food???

yes, confinement is really CONFINE man. i hate it!!!

anyway for me, my number 1 criteria for agreeing to marry my hb is "NO Living together wif ILs!".

mrslong,

yeah, these are just part of her nonsenses tat i'd to withstand. there were many more run-ins with her during tat 1 month tat we were almost at war. luckily things b/w us were back to normal after tat 1 mth so i m hoping tis confinement would be smoother. trust me, i was never so happy to be back at work straight after confinement tat i voluntarily cut short my maternity leave just to "escape".

sun,

MIL didnt support or agree to me doing BF-ing. she was going on and on abt how her daughter or nieces or frens' daughters who all nvr BF, wonder y i must insist on BF-ing? making snide remarks tat bb so small, must be cos my BF not good enf, tat warming up BF is such a hassle, FM is easier and faster, etc. i almost went nutty...

Serene>> huh? but holy water is not used for such purpose one leh. aiyo...:p

wonder angmohs have such post-pregnancy symptoms since they don't do confinement. I heard from my HB, his German colleagues, their wives, some even went bk to work already after 2-3weeks.

my heater is gas one leh - super duper hot one, you cant bathe in that kind of HOT water lor...only you cant see it bubbling...

everytime see those confinement rules, I very agitated... I just told my mum, i wont be following all the rules ones. She with the usual phrasing, later when you old with rheumatism then you know...then I retorted "you also follow closely during your confinement right, now you also got rheumatism :p" then she repeated the same thing again...

jasmine -- i remember when i had my still birth i got cry during confinement, my mom ask me not to cry if not my cornea will drop...

carry baby because of our zi gong, ok.. but.. if we carry it in a proper way, shudnt have issues ma... well, then again.. old pple wont listen.. only think i know is.. we cannot keep squating and bending down to prevent our womb from dropping...

sweetkiss -- sometimes, we dun haf a choice.. like.. my FIL help me to take care of bb.. so i cannot say this one cannot that one cannot.. i have to let bb sleep yao lan too..

as for food.. i will tell ILs off and state my point first.

if really worry.. then u maybe have to discuss with ur boss to let u off early lor...

for me, to prevent my ILs from teaching celeste rubbish and cultivating wrong things.. i will be letting her go to a church child care at 18 mths.. by the time celeste is back, i will be back home also. minimise the communication and the bad influence..

crystal -- i dun have a choice. my mom stays in a room flat.. she has to sleep on the sofa if i go over. and hubby will also feel restricted cause theres no internet nor anything to keep him sane.. and my mom will have to handwash all my clothes cause my mom place no washing machine. i dun wan her to hand wash cause its very tiring for a 70YO lady.. and she admits that she dunno how to handle newborn..

if i stay at my place, at least my FIL can help to shower my baby and help me take care while i rest/having massage.

since the meal thing is only 1 trip, my hubby is alright with it.. cause my mom really wants to bu me.. she offered to fetch the food from outram to batok but.. my heart more pain..

moreover, i also feel more comfy in my own room at my own place ma...

oh ya.. im staying with my MIL's place as in.. since i got married, i stayed with them liao.. we are still waiting for a flat.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

meslong -- haha.. well.. if that makes them happier la... lol..

the old pple will tell u.. ang mor eat diff thing.. their body is diff from chinese... lol..

eliss -- follow and kena feng shi wont kena nag.. when u old liao and tio feng shi, u will kena nag for not doing ur confinement proper.. lol..

ecym,

exactly! i also question the logics behind all these rules back then but she couldnt answer, just say so-and-so auntie say one, must follow. i was like DUH! Blind following the blind! some of those she gave reasons too were like nonsenses, try these: -

- cannot watch tv /surf the internet (like wat jasmine mentioned, MIL says will go blind.)

- cannot sit in living room (MIL says expose to air, as if i sit inside bedroom, not expose to air? wan put me in vacuum or not? i was doing my last confinement in the hot weather of JUNE!)

- cannot carry baby (MIL says i will be hunchback cos bb is heavy. contradicting to wat she said abt my bb being small, so how can small = heavy???)

- cannot change bed sheets for 1 mth (MIL say changing = flipping of bed sheets = will cause bb to vomit milk in months to come. WT*???)

- cannot chat wif frens on phone, etc.... (MIL says cos others tell her tis is one of the confinement rule, so must follow. ???)

Serene: my mum also told me not to cry too much when my gal is admit in hospital during my confinement.

carry bb: maybe can only carry bb when sitting down. Old ppl have different thinking.

Bending, it actually hurt the back n cause backache.

sun tan - huh cant eat duo hua meh?? i like it wor..oops

sweetkiss - u will send bb to infant care? me too considering this option cause getting a maid oso problem as PIL will only be back in e late afternoon since they are working..

Crystal - BF is definately better den FM..i told my MIL tat i will be half BF-ing and half FM my BB den she goes like HUH...if U wan BF u do it Full time for a few years..i just smile at her n say see my condition ba...

Just last week ask my hub to confirm with his parents if they are realli doing e confinement for me cause i dont want later some drama come out..i cant find any confinement lady last min..den they say confirm so i reali hope nting goes wrong cause when come to BB alot of conflicts will arise..

mrslong,

i even had an ex angmo colleague who fly 1 week just after delivering her bb cos wan bring bb home to c grandparents. angmo where got such rules like ours?

serene,

oic...then i understand. i would also be hardpain for yur mum knowing tat she will have to go out of the way to have u stay over. just tat i feel tat yur MIL could make herself more useful to u during yur confinement...

Crystal - I agree with you. Most of the confinement rules are led by the blinds and consolidated by the blinded... keke :p

BF -- breast milk contains nutrient that FM cannot produce (even thou they can tell u that FM is better the BM).. its all rubbish.. BM wont make ur baby super power but.. it will minimise the chances of getting serious illness.. example.. if u bb is have cough, it will prevent the cough from getting worse..

because our body knows our baby most. so it will produce proper contents to ensure our baby is having what s/he shud be having at different stages.

As for prolonged BF, many do it for years cause they like the bonding.. but normally after 1 - 2 years of BF, its sufficient. any longer, it doesnt really carry a purpose cause the child will absorb better from solids.

crystal -- my MIL is the typical TVB MIL.. my mom brought herbs for her to cook for me.. but she jus kept it in the cupboard. thats why i decided to ask my mom cook instead. shes very good to me and she will cook very good food for me.. thats someting i wont wanna miss out during confinement.

imagine my FIL is even more helpful than she is lor.. my FIL will even teach me how to relieve my engorgement cause he read from the papers de.. i mean, we are pretty open abt such things.. so im very happy that my FIL is still here to help me

Serene>> ya, that's what pple wld say...angmoh body different cuz of the food they eat. hehee.

crystal>> yep, the angmohs dun care so much. sometimes is see angmoh's parents let their kids play in the playground, dirty dirty also nvm. But we Asians will tell our kids "darling, don't touch, dirty!".

Actually my HB's colleague wife is from mainland China...her confinement which was done in China also not so much theory & "pattern" like us, haha.

Back