(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

Eliss>> ya, cuz i was talking to the wife, say here cannot do this, cannot do that but she didn't say they follow such rules there...only a few like eat stuff to "qu feng" type.

BUT if we tell our confinement caregivers or 'old' people, they'll tell u...mainland China people body different...eat different food. :p

tell u.. when my gal turn 4mth, they say must 'kai wun', so that bb can start eating food, like meat all these.. so i ask my mum, so those don know or didn't do that, that mean their bb can only eat veg. Then my MIL offer to do this, so let them be lor. Then that day we went back, they got another thing, say have to hang 'pon pian' a kind of chinese biscuit around my gal's neck, so that she won't keep drooling. end up, my gal still drooling like no one biz. some more it was not only one. they actually use string up, i think 12 to make it like a necklace.

I tot FM is manufactured to imitate the same nutrients as BM… Obviously BM is still the best mah!

My friend always tell me she regret not BF-ing cos as son always fall sick now.

So is my MIL with her 5 year old son. He is so prone to flu, nose bleeds, cough etc.

Sweetkiss>> actually it depends. My sis' SIL BF her son till 2yrs old but heard from my sis, he's small size for his age & also quite weak (fall sick) often.

so i guess it still depends on individual kid.

ica: hahaha maybe... b4 that she already keep drooling, then even after the hanging of biscuit, she still keep drooling till almost 1yrs old lor.

then they also keep saying: 流口水,要下雨了

i tell hb, then singapore very soon will sink, cos everyday got bb drooling lor. :p

Hi Ladies,

Wow thread has indeed moved fast and I will try and catch up on the confinement part onwards. I will donate the set of rubbish that my MIL has told me.

PART I

My SUPER GENIUS MIL says that baby should not be showered in hot water - otherwise baby will turn dark colour - Ahem, ladies half the Indian population is dark skinned so does that mean that every indian baby was showered in super hot water? Rubbish right? So if I shower baby in cold water, baby will become like Ang Moh colour... waaaa irritate me. Also after giving birth cannot just sit down.. must do housework (i have a helper) but I must do my own housework. After BF, when baby is sleeping I must do some work... dont just sleep. That was it.. I told my husb that if my MIL is going to stay with me during my confinement I will be devastated and he agree... Ladies,,, he agreed! hurray.

PART II

We indians have our own version of "Baby Shower". It is called "Bangle Ceremony". This ceremony is the full responsibility of my side of the family. This means closest friends and relatives will be invited to my mum's place and there will be lots of food and celebration. I, will be adorned with my wedding saree, jewellery, flowers and my hands will have henna. The the respective ladies will put coloured bangles on both my hands. Together with this prayers are conducted that both pregnant mum and baby are protected from all evil and that no harm should come to them. Of course there will be lots of photo and video session too coz my baby is the first baby in my generation. So a bit more glamour lah!

Then my MIL has to open her big fat mouth and say... "I tell you ah.. no need to be so drama and extravagant". Just keep it simple. I became terribly emotional and cried my eyeballs out.

Now my poor husband has to put my MIL in her place.

I tell you all... naturally Indians are very dramatic but my MIL is EXTRA. She is the only one who causes me loads and loads of Stress and depression.

sweetkiss -- i read from a book.. here are some things it said.. Book name : So That's what they're for! 3rd edition

- The chance of SIDS is reduced by 50% compared to FM.

- FM babies see the dr almost twice as often as BM babies do

- BM is easier to digest than FM

- BM contains natural pain relivers for bb. BM have liquid endorphins at the ready and a breast to comfort crying baby.

This author also said that.. " One of the ads was reportedly along the lines of, "Babies who are not exclusively breastfed for 6 mths will more likely to contract asthma, allergies and cancer"

"The problem is that comparing BM and FM is like comapring a real leg and a prosthesis."

"BM isnt jus food. It's actually closer to unstructured, living tissue (like blood) than it is to food. Because BM is full of white blood cells, antibodies, vitamins, water, protein, hormones, growth factors, and even ingredients that kill bacteria and viruses, BM is capable of doing for bb on the outside what nutrients fed thru the placenta on the inside. It offers balance of every a baby needs to develop physically and neurologically"

Jasmine>>hahaha! that's very funny!

once back in KL, it was super hot, so i told hubby "let's go for ice kacang". hubby said no coz gynae said to cut out sugar. MIL said better take me eat, else baby will come out drooling - must always satisfy a pregnant woman's cravings. i then turned to MIL and said i dun believe such things. maybe i was a bit too abrupt la, now that i think back. hahaha..anyway, all babies drool no matter what right?

actually before give birth, already whole list of rules to follow, after birth, also a lost list to follow.

funny part is, they want us to follow thier rules, yet, when we want them to our follow is a no no things. like doc say cannot give this n that, they will say last time i also do this, n u have grow so big.

HB's grandma set a list rules for me

No shifting of bed

cannot sit on bed do any cutting

when i'm in the house:

no painting

no hitting

no hanging of things (then no need to wash clothes la, cos need to hang up)

No eating of crab

then during confinement

no bathing

no washing of hair

no this n that

and all we need them to do is:

don anyway how feed our bb, but they just ignore it. sigh....

serene, thanks for the info! wow will read it

during work tmr to pass time. Hehehe..

jayamum: the Bangle Ceremony sounds so interesting! I'm sure every mum wants their baby to go through a grand ceremony and have a nice memory of it. if i were u i will also ignore MIL and do whatever that makes me happy!

Serene>> can you imagine if we have weird cravings like dirt, earth, paper (which i read happens to some people, but rare) - so also give in to us? hahaha

with old folks, it's never ending. they'll say they eat salt more than we eat rice - direct translation [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jasmin -- off topic.. i know its not logical.. but hor.. during last year's CNY, my FIL twirl this deco on the piping in the living rm.. then i got still birth cause bb's cord was twisted..like twirl and twirl until it snapped. when i went home and saw that deco.. i demand it to be removed. actually when FIL put tat thing during CNY, i alr feel very gao wei.. but i jus let it be lor..

this year, when i have celeste, i told whole family, no hanging, no pasting.. NOTHING! FIL had to ask me permission to pass the starhub contest sticker.. lol.. and he paste it on the vase outside the house.. lol..

actually my FIL told me a pang tang thing.. when my SIL was born, she had a birthmark on her forehead. and my grandma-in-law asked him if they did any pasting or anything at home. then FIL recalled that he pasted a red sticker on the clock.. then he rushed home to remove it and wipe the stains off.. within a day.. my SIL's birth mark was gone.

so thats why now.. im not allowed to paint my nails, not allowed to paste anything..

but i think FIL somehow forgot abt it and wanted to paste the sticker on the door.. (jus cause starhub giving $$).. but he was reminded by MIL and end up pasting on the vase outside my house... lol...

I think the list of rules for confinement just grows longer and longer as years pass. Ppl just happily add more things to it...duhz...

Hello Mummies!

Am from March forum.

Re: Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump (BPA Free) New, Unopened.

I bought this one for $119. Decided to sell away for $80, Price negotiable. Cos' I was passed down another dual pump which I am using now. No use for the newly bought Avent Manual Pump.

It is still new, comes with box, plastic wrapping still on, I haven't open it.

If u're interested, email me at [email protected]. (State price) Don't PM me cos' I think I can't take pm. Thanks!

Thread is moving very fast today and I am super busy today.

So many confinement rules.. i never knew of such things lei.. hopefully the confinement lady that is assigned to me is not so restrictive.

sorry to interrupt - in case anyone's keen i have a set of 3 Mrs Wong Boi Boi's books to let go

1) Breastfeeding - Your Best Gift to Your Baby

(2) Childbirth - Easing Your Way through Pregnancy and Childbirth

(3) Childcare - Understanding Your Baby's Health and Growth in the First Year

[email protected] if keen $15 for all three books includ postage [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/3793808.jpg]

wow... threads moved so fast this noon while i was away! So many rules! lucky i stay with my hubby only. No rules one. If have... they must be set by me for him only.. kekeke

my MIL doesn't like kids one. She also didnt really take care of her only son, my hubby. My hubby taken care of by his grandmother and many aunties. So she totally bochap abt my pregnancy one lor. Think she rather not get involved...

btw the massage you ladies talking abt hor.. does it apply to mommies with C-section? Wa.. if everyday got massage during confinement sound so shiok leh! But then hor.. with our wound.. and lochia.. maybe not so shiok afterall la..

Hi ladies.

Hubby is still down with high fever.. hai.. now brewing barley water for him. Hopefully will bring down the fever.

sun_tan : C-section after one week can start massage le ah? Can i also have the contact number of the massage lady pls [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

AtomicKitten: i think gotta check with the massage lady how long after c-sect then can start the massage. So far i heard some ppl say one week, some say one mth.

I PM the numbers for the massage lady [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Just finish playing Mahjong. Lose $$$!! Argh!

Night everyone!!

morning mummies!

wow.. so many posts.. i was juz 2 days away!

sigh.. went to c doc on mon morning aft complains of BAD headache & sharp pain in my ribcage... then was given 2 days mc to rest @ home. cuz doc says my flu bug mite b knocking on my door soon.

grr...

n yesterday cam back to wk halfie, cuz got thgs to do [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

jo_lyn: anyways... they always say preggers haf a lot of luck, but i also lose monie on the mj table. duhz...

morning MTBs,

Early morning read 2 emails from my boss & pissed me off liao. Feels like strangline her :p But I must "ren"!!

DQ>> oh dear, take care & hopefully you'd be well for this Sat 1st pre-natal pilates! Don't forget [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

fazzy: the stories on confinement & mil can be 'more colorful' im sure... hee...

mrslong: aiya.. sometimes bosses r really a pain in the a**. say/do thgs on their own accord. take ppl for granted! dun care abt them! spoiler of our mood~~

yeah! these few days on water parade.

dun wanna missout our 1st pilates on sat~

so excited!!!! hee...

gonna get my mat tmr~

Atomickitten - usually the massage lady said to start one month after C-sect. But you must get prior approval from your gynae when you go back for your postpartum checkup.

morning ladies,

Jasmine /Eliss,

Heard abt the hanging of biscuits around the bb’s neck previously from some of the other mummies in my #1’s thread. Apparently it is also to supposedly ward off evil or something like tat but is practice according to the dialect group the bb is in rather than a blindly followed through custom. Anyway, mine #1 didn't go through wif this custom and she also didn't drool non-stop wuah….drooling in bbs wef 3mths onward is largely due to possible teething and soreness of gums than anything else.

Jaya,

IMHO, since this ceremony is taken care of my maternal side, whether to be extravagant or simple, also got nothing to do wif yur MIL rite? Since I assume she would not be paying for any part of it anyway, so wat has it got to do wif her???

LOL abt the part abt showering bb in super hot water will cause them to be dark-skinned. So all angmo bbs must have showered in super COLD water to be so fair??? LOL!!!

Out of curiosity, I understand from one of my Indian gf tat Indian confinement actually last 40 days and not a mth? But the younger generation of Indian dun reai follow also, is tat true? Cos my 1st reaction then when I heard abt the 40days, my jaws dropped. Was thinking I cant even survive 30 days, sure die if put on 40days de….

Serene,

1 minus point against BM bbs compared to FM bbs though – they poo ever so often more than their FM-fed peers tat we will forever be changing their diapers non-stop. But a small sacrifice to make compare to the life long benefits they get from BM lar.

Cos I remember as a new mummy then wif my #1 and she poo like 3-4 times a day, my MIL was telling me off saying must be my BM dirty / contaminated, tat’s y cause my #1 to keep poo-ing. Her experience wif my 2 older nephews were they barely poo-ed once a day or 2 days once, but they were on FM since birth. I felt so insulted and hurt till I clarify wif PD and gynae who assured me to say tat FM bbs will poo more than FM bbs cos BM more easily digestible, etc…

Crystal - oh mine, erm if i will u i will definately be sad too..cause hw can u say BM is dirty!!!

Mrslong - ya dont be bother by ur boss, most bosses are e same...me worst early morning come, one cols came over n say wow ur tummy v v small hor...i jus smile n say small its ok so long as BB healthy can liao...early morning tis remark LOL..

crystal: eeee... y ur mil so evil!!!!

BM bb poo more cuz of high water content in BM wat. so brainless comments by her. duhz.

LT: this morning my husby also made the same comment. grr... cuz the dress im wearin tdy DOES make my tumtum look smaller.

then i dun get seats on train again. -.-|||

Hi all, very good morning

Can anyone suggest good stretch mark cream? I saw Palmer's coco cream in Watson. Is it good? anyone have tried before??

Also, i don't know because of pregant or not but my hands alone is becoming darker now-a-days [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Any suggestion for this?

Good morning ladies.

I am so tired this morning. Hubby is still down with high fever. Hopefully it will break today. Two days le. Hai...

Nowadays the flu bug is really strong.. all ladies here must take care and drink more water.

Noor: I am using Clarin brand.. seems quite ok.

noor: i personally dun like palmers coco butter.. cuz im not a person w sweet tooth.. plus now preggers im kinda adverse to chocolate/coco smell.

the cocobutter smells like putting coco on ur tummy. hence im not using it..

if u like chocolate/coco smell, it the one for U [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

ann: ur husby still haven recover?

poor thg... muz drink more cooling stuff... read fr ur fb u made barley for him. ask him to drink more water.

u also muz drink more water.. cuz im afraid his bug mayb too strong.

anyways, read abt ur post 2 days earlier... i cant imagine if i were there... to c the old man pass on. i sure faint.

at least there's no blood. i ever saw an old man died on a road accident. he had bld ard him... lying aloe on the road, was so helpless.. n i was on the bus, n the bus juz went pass... but i can still rem the scene lor. altho tat was yrs ago when i was on my way home fr nus...

DQ: Ya lo.. this morning his fever went up again to 38.3.. I think everytime he sleep his fever will go up. So this morning before going to work, i went to buy the three legged water for him to drink, make him drink the left over barley which i place in the fridge cos he only like to drink cold drink.. hai.. like kid like that. Cut the fruits nicely and place in the fridge to make it cold so that he would take them. Buy the cooling pad and paste it on his forehead. Felt like I am having a big kid in the house. Luckily, just now he sms me and say fever down to 37.3 liao.. hopefully it will break today.

I also just recover from flu recently. I might have passed it to him but not as serious as his condition. Always ask him to eat more fruits.. he will say he dun like to eat fruits. That's why now i eat alot of fruits and vege so that in furture, my son would not be as stubborn as daddy. Haha!!

Hai.. I think when the old man fell, he might have been dead le. Also not too sure abt it. But hope that his fmaily dun be too sad cos he is really old le.. hope he is in a better place.

Something to share.. would u do this to your kid?

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/in_the_heartlands/346032/boy_screams_loudly_as_parents_lock_him_out_of_house.html

haiz so many cannot do list for pre and post pregnancy...

I am still staying with my PIL but my mother will be doing the confinement for me... luckily cos my MIL quite patang... later sure will say this cant tat cant.. no aircon no fan... i confirm cant sleep as my room will be very warm in the afternoon.. xi zhao.... my mood will be affect also.. fed up!!!

specially weekend will be very noisy cos my hubby's siblings come back for lunch... with 6 kids playing ard....

most important is confinement food... i hate ginger very much so afterall mother know my taste best.... knowing that ginger is one of it but

my mum know the way to cook and i can accept the taste...

all bcos of my mother dont wan me to hv post pregnancy depression so she offer to do for me.

for those mummies whom MIL is doing confinement for them... better discuss to compromise...

Back