(2010/06) June 2010 MTB

Re breastfeeding and baby falling sick.

Please don't feel discourage. Actually babies tends to fall sick easily in their first year. Breastmilk gives them antibodies which is the fact. Babies still don't have their own antibodies.

But still, nowadays cough/flu virus is so strong...those with #1 and going to sch should know that is so easy to catch virus.. If anyone at home catch this virus but didn't fall sick doesn't mean won't pass to bb.. Immunity system not thE same.

When my bb is 6 weeks old he gotten bronchitis. Thru #1! but #1 don't have bronchitis... He had fever and was fighting but after Kor Kor had fever for the 3rd day, bb starts coughing but no fever. Meaning his body is not fighting at all. So Kor Kor actually won the virus but didi gotten it. After didi recover, Kor Kor turn to get it... The virus cycle is there lor.

Don't feel discourage... Common to fall sick... Even or us adult with a immune system stronger than babies also fall sick.

A trip to the polyclinic ydae make me feel sick now..

Joelle,

U are so 不舍得 cause u are still not prepared.. no way to apply additional leave??

Consider be a SAHM for your girl first year?

Working mum will 不舍得 but pocket wise not a problem. SAHM have time with kids but might have to struggle to make ends meet.. If this mth expenses is higher SAHM can't do anything to help too..

So either way also not perfect...

xiao_xiin, haha you sounds like the toilet is my own house leh.. can anyhow move furniture in. no lor. is just a normal toilet with 3 small cubicles. we dont even have a proper pantry area (just a small corner for us to wash and make drinks), let alone a nursing room. but thank god got fridge lah.

bo bian lor.. anyway i only pumping 3 times in office. so just do a quick one and siam asap.

jojo, okok.. 1st day of work got to bring so many things to office. *faints* anyway i will only do quick wash up after 1st 2 pumps, the last pump, i will bring back home to wash.

Joelle, sayang! can understand how u feel cos I was also 'cheated' by my boss. I was supposed to take full 4 mth maternity leave and be back only 2nd week of Oct but bosses told me to come back on the third mth to clear my backlog. Apparently, no one covered my duty while I was away and new Director reporting so they need me to do slides and present the status update in the meeting. Quite upset cos when I was around, everything also urgent but when on maternity, they can delay the work till I'm back. Never mind, I agreed to go back with a condition that I will not do events ( cos events usually held at nights and need to stay back very late) until new calendar year. Then 2nd week after I reported for work, my big boss still arrow me to do events for next mth. Win liao... now clearing backlog and still got to do a lot of coordination for the event. When I told him I can't cope, they told me to use my initatives. For the past few days, my eyes were red on and off and I don't even have time to see doc! And now I think my baby got my eyes infection liao... Sianz ah!

Friends, sigh, i think i also not in a great situation as comparing to u. rem i told u all my co restructuring? a lot of pple left and i was transferred to a new shitty dept. where there's no proper handover, no proper filing, and a lot of uncleared payments to be made, but i do not have a damn clue on where it is. now the new job role requires me to always walk a lot, since the 2 buildings are very far apart, and always kena shit from purchasing and vendors. and the new boss always throw new things to me, expecting me to know everything after a few days. i am very stressed everyday, becos i SIMPLY cannot cope with the amount of workload and to learn new stuff on the job too. i cannot sleep well at nite. the previous week was hell. cannot sleep well, stress and + taking care of bb. fell sick, but dun dare to take sick leave........so xian huh!!!

I hate working so so much!!!!! why employers cannot simply understand mothers who just bk to work after maternity. they cannot give work that is not so stressed????!!

Sheryl

can I ask was it you who gt deep freezer to store yr milk? Did u mention tAt it can b rented or can get 2nd hand? Cos my fren is looking for one n vaguely remb u mentioning it before

other mummies

any idea if gt deep freezer rental or only can buy?

Joelle, Friends, Elise

Sayang, sayang. Work is like that. No sympathy one. Sometimes like challenging the new mothers to take it or leave it. Yet the govt is encouraging mothers to work and have more children. So ironic. Sigh...

Mezzo

Think it's Xiao Xiin who has the deep freezer but she turned off the power liao.

Joelle, Friend and Elise, work are really work. there's endless problem ocurring in work we hate. that y I really wished to stay at home and look after my little girl if possible. But, well, financial wise it's not a wise decision to do so. and since we are young couple, I do want to live better to prove others wrong. we are not ppl who dun think! prehaps I will be a SAHM for my next baby. that's what my hb promise me.

Re: Work

it's actually hell to me.. as a application support, I need to assist clients that purchased our application. well, I'm still new, yet to know the whole program and there I am, learning and helping (working).. seriously, it's not easy. plus the colleague who is pregnant are so call "teaching" me. what I cant stand is she always seem impatient when I ask her things, after she taught. really cant stand, give me the look as if I'm stupid or what. If I do or delete anything wrong, it's other ppl database ok, which can't be revert back!!! her expression really #W$@#$%$#^$#.. well, and the best thing is she's going ML end of oct or start of nov. how am I going to cope with so many inquiries alone and I dont even know much.. haiis.. seriously if it's not becos I can express milk during work, I wun take up this job, cos I simply dun like IT being a Biz IT grad. if it's not because it's not easy to find a new job and employers will agree to the request for me to express milk during work. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

RE: FBM

Any mummies or know mummies wan FBM.. giving out my July to Aug slashes.. I have limited space in my fridge..

xiao xiin, im still sleepin in bb's rm.. easier fr me to latch him at nite coz if i slp in my rm, my cat's with me then i gotta change clothes b4 feeding bb..

joelle, i duno if the wrists will slowly recover on its own or nt.. very bz with bb, work n pumping already, lazy to spend more time soaking n wrapping lei.. i rebonded b4 the hair loss started.. tink will wait till its better b4 i go touch up the roots again.. normally i touch up every 2mths, but with this massive hair loss, dun dare.. i tink ur boss dam shit lei, wait untill fri den tell u next wk leave nt approved. tink u shld feedbk to her boss, the one who doesnt approve.. if its me i'll b dam angry too..

mezzo, its xiao xiin tat has the freezer she's nt using anymore..

peck, delphine called le.. thanks fr ur help! =)

hey mummies, can share the weight of your child and how much he drinks now?

My boy is now 7.04kg at 3 mths 1 week plus. He drinks 180ml (6scoops of powder for 5 feeds).

Am I overfeeding him ah? Everybody keep commenting that he drinks alot and is getting chubbier and chubbier.. -_-

Zoie,

He is big! My bb coming 4 mths at 7.06KG.

Actually cannot compare the amt of milk given for FM n BM.

No comments on FM.. But my #1 drink 180ml and he is coming 3 yrs old.

Baby Stickines

My baby is very sticky to me. Although I dont mind it at all, it starts to create problems at home especially when it comes to my hubby. My baby does not want her daddy at all. She cries everytime my hubby carries her or tries to feed her. It is those heart wrenching sobs until she shudders and hiccups. Do you experience this kind of problem? Any way to solve it? I kept telling my hubby to spend more time with her but it does not seem to help at all. I am quite at loss with what to do.

Friends/ Elise/ Joelle

Understand how you feel. I am going back to work at the end of this month and I am trying to prepare for the separation and getting my work engine start again. It is important to remind yourself that work is only work. Dont let it affect your time with baby and your family. Family is the most important.

Zoie: my bb is 4 mths old weighing at 7.31kg, 69cm. Drinking 180ml 4 - 5 feeds.

Joelle/Elise/friends:

Totally understand how u ladies feel. I'm going bk to work cming Monday. B4 I go bk, my colleagues already welcome me bk cos I hv a big project cming up in nov. + I'm changing abt of my job scope when I'm bk. Haiz.. Dun wan to take over the new portfolio, but bo bian. Guess im going to spend less time with my boy n I'm sure I got no time to pump at work.

Flipping/ lifting of head

I think my boy can flip Liao. Put him slp on his side with his tummy almost flat on the bed, the can flip bk n slp facing up. Is tat consider flipping?? Haaa..

He can lift his head up abit like 5 mins only.. Still dun like tummy time..

Poo:

my boy now poo once or twice a day. Izzit okie? Today he didn't poo at all..

Zoie

My boy is 3 months 1 week old today. At 3 months 2 days, he weighed 7.13kg. He drinks between 125 - 150ml of ebm every 2-2.5 hours. Haha... Potential King kong like his bro. My 3 yo is 22kg! My nephew is 9 and he's 23 kg.

Jenn/Rainelle/chu chu/raleigh: sigh. gov encourages us to have more babies. with raising costs, stress levels and unhelpful bosses or colleagues, got use meh?! these unsympathetic creatures, wouldn't know how we mothers feel. sometimes i think that if i've got the money, i would love to emigrate to switzerland. they get both paternity and maternity leave, i heard up to 1 year!!

Zoie: my baby only at 5.4kg now. and still wearing mummy poko size S. dunno too small or not. milk, she's now taking around 180ml liao.

Mezzo, I gave away all my fbm n switched off the freezer to wipe clean. But turn it on again after a few days bcos I scared the freezer will spoil if I dun on it. So ya, I'm forcing myself to use it now. After the blocked duct incident, I kinda scared that my bf journey may end anytime abruptly. So I thot it is good to store fbm even tho my bb is not drinking it. Just take it as a form of insurance. Your fren need the freezer now? I shd be using it until I stop bf. Dun think I can help your fren. Paiseh...

Joelle, I read your story until I also feel angry for u!! Tell them if they cannot approve your leave, u will bring bb to work. How can they bully ppl like this?!!

Returning to work after ml sounds so difficult. I'm thinking maybe I shd go back to work on a part time basis after my npl ends. Pat backside n go home when the time is up. At least not so stressful.

Jojo, my hubby say waste air con to let bb n I sleep in his room. N he doesn't want bb to sleep alone also. While I cannot sleep without air con So we have move to MBR for some time liao. Family of 5 sleeping together really saves air con leh.

Flipping

mummies really shd give bb more intensive tummy time. My boy has been giving himself a lot of tummy time bcos he will auto flip once his body touches any flat surface. so funny, like auto program. N I will leave him in that position until he cannot take it anymore. Can see that his neck really has strengthen a lot these two days. Now he can hold his head high without much pek cekness. Past two days were crazy!! Had to put up with his pek cekness!!

N haha!! I bot a Lamaze pyramid for him today. One side of it is mirror. Place it in front of him n let him enjoy seeing his handsome face during tummy time.

Raleigh, I think that is one of the early signs of discovering flipping. Your bb shd be flipping from back to tummy in 1week's time!! They r very fast learners.

Last week when my boy went swimming at hwa xia, the staff mention he knows how to use his feet to kick the side of the tub to turn. So amazing!!! Must bring him to the big pool soon!

Elise

Do you know how expensive Switzerland is? And how much tax they have to pay? It's a nice place to visit but not that great a place to live. Language is a prob too.

Flipping

My baby hardly spend time on his belly when he's awake tho I put him to sleep on his belly every now and then cos he sleeps better. I know there's the risk of SIDS but....

So he shows no sign of flipping. And if he's like his bro, it'll take a awhile too. My #1 only flipped proficiently at close to 6 months

Xiao Xiin

Family of 5? Thought 3 of you + dog right? You have 2 dogs ah? Haha.. I so nosy.

Each of my kid sleeps in their own room. Usually I just use the fan in my room but now I bunk in with my baby to adjust his sleep schedule, my hubby took the opportunity to turn on aircon. So now aircon is on for 3 rooms. My utility bill is damn high. And it is so environmentally unfriendly. I kept nagging "global warming" to my hubby but he just ignores me.

Anyone keen to use babyland cloth diaper? please pm me as I am arranging a spree and can get it at $8.30 per pc, with 2 inserts.

xiao xiin, ya whole family sleep in 1 rm saves air con.. but the couple no privacy and nw the kids are in pri sch le still dun wana sleep in their own rm..

2 wks ago at 3mths old, my bb weigh 5.8kg.. normally 7 feeds a day, and if it's bottle feed he takes ard 130ml..

aiyo this past wk my bb during day time naps, once put him down he wakes up.. last time wont de lei.. duno y this wk started to be like that.. mil say when im at work she's practically carrying him 1-2hrs so he can rest longer, else put him dwn he wake up then after a few times he gets so tired and pek chek.. today i took care of him myself, was out half the day so he slept in stroller/car seat.. when at hm i put him down twice he woke up almost immediately.. so 3rd time he fell asleep i carried him for an hr.. i tot they're past that sleep-cannt-put-dwn phase already lei, how come he macham back-track..

bb feeds:

oops looks like my bb is underfeed. he still drinks @ 90-120ml every 2-3hrs for most feeds. the most can reach 150ml. his last weight taken on his last jab when he juz reach 3mths was 6.74kg.

tried to give him more but he die die dun wan to finish leh.

i think i might trigger my back pain during pumping @ work. not sure whether its my sitting posture during pumping. i tend to lean forward & cross my legs to support my pump for like 40mins (throughout the session). bad sitting posture?? its the same suan feeling that i had before i was preggie wif #2. not sure whether its was the epidural cuz it is only affecting left side, my left leg also suan lor. sian. dunno how to tahan until 6mths.

alamak.. i tot my baby was quite heavy oredi.. now after reading , i think he is the lightest

my boy at 4mth only weigh 6.6kg!! drinking 150-180ml every 3hr

Gitz n missbluey

My baby is like urs. 6.7kg , drinking 130ml every 3hrly.

I've finally moved back to my plc n away Fr my parents. Somehow things just don't work out. Baby will be with bbsitter on mon. #1 still at my mum's plc mon- fri. Then we will either move back when #1 goes child care or send him to cc in woodlands. Though not so convenient here in woodlands nothing beats staying in our own house.

I bgt a nutritions book on bb foods.

Base on the book, We can give fresh orange/grapes juice (not the usual juices that we drink. Hv to dilute with water) papaya, peach, apple purees for bb to consumes. But shld we start at 4 mths? Or 6 mths which we can start with porridge.

Looking at sm mummies feeding only like 150ml or less make me wonder if my boy is overfeed. Haa.. My niece n nephew at 3 yrs only drink 180ml lo. My boy 180ml like not enough for him. Haa.. But he drink like every 4-5hrs. so everyday is abt 4 feeds.

raleigh.. i think ur amt is ok lah cause e total is approx 900 ml ( 5 feeds). My boy only drinks abt 130-150 ml , he takes 6 feeds so abt 900 ml also.

bluey, mine also not drinking a lot, die die force him also cannot get it in, his intake drop to like 110ml this few days, waste my milk.. sigh.. but maybe cause he is sick.

My boy weighs 8 kg at 4mths, big size like e dad.

Re: Puree

Raleigh, actually for certainly puree like apple, pear can start at 4 mths but i prefer to wait till a bit older like 5 -6 mths than start, actually most impt is that ur baby's neck must be quite strong so they will not turn and turn and choke. And also when u start something , remember to give a few days before u start on another food, this is to check for allergies. I did offer my boy just a tiny bit of watermelon just for fun but i realise he still cant swallow well so dun think i will start so early maybe start of 5th mth. And for porridge i will only start at 8 mths cause i dun want to overfeed him, and i heard starting porridge too early is not gd for their small stomach so i will prob follow what i did for #1, start at 8 mths. will start rice/ other cereal at 6 mths.

dun need to be in a hurry to start cause some babies might reject milk when they start on solids..

Plan to do this:

5 mth- some simple single puree like apple, pear, sweet potato, butternut squash

6 mth- cereals from Healthy Times like oat, barley,rice cereal, continue simple purees

8 mth- , introduce porridge for lunch ( maybe alt days with cereal, will introduce brown rice cereal and other cereals), introduce mix fruit purees, n

9-10 mths onwards: Cereal for bf, porridge for lunch and dinner, c how bb's appettite is like.

And for new mummies, dun need to wast $ go buy book k, there is a fantastic website that tells u how to feed babies and even gives u the recipes:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com

Morning all!!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] A rainy morning in e west...

Milk intake/Weight gain

Zoie, Raleigh,

My bb is taking 150ml on 4.5 hrly w/ 5 feeds a day. He is approx at 7kg, juz turned 3mths old on 24Sep.

I guess no worries abt their weight as of now. Referring to my #1 feeding book, he is also taking 180ml when he was 4mths old. At current age of 3yr old, he takes 300ml each feed. I already reduced since PD mentioned 330ml is abit too much.

Raleigh,

I hope to delay introducing semi solids for bb till he turns 6 mths old coz tatz e recommended age. Though I started rice cereal for my #1 at 4mths old coz he rejects milk feeds.

For a start, itz gd to give rice cereal prior to introducing any fruit/veg puree. After bb is taking well, then slowly introduce fruit/veg puree.

Rice cereal (@ 4mth old)

E only brand I saw in NTUC for rice cereals suitable for bb of 4mths old is Frisocrem Rice Cereal (yellow pkg).

As mentioned earlier, there is no more of Heinz 1st Rice Cereal which used to be suitable for 4mths n above.

It was shared before tat Frisocrem is kinda too tasty (slight sweet) for bb, hence I never gave my #1.

morning....

wanna zzz but bb was up bright and early haiz I so lazy my bb at 3mths was only 5.2kg and her feeds are like 90ml only at 2-3hrs intervals... so far PD didnt comment... my goodness seems like she is the lightest around!

doobom.. actually dun need to give rice cereal first.. i started with fruit puree like cooked apple for my #1 too [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/cereals.htm

I agree with you that if cereal is too tasty is not good cause babies might end up just wanting flavoured food.. so i giving healthy times first cause its bland.. haha.. no taste one.. Ur 31 drinks a lot! mine only drinks 200 ml 3 x a day.

Jenn, no la, I'm referring to jojo's fren who has a family of 5. Haha!!

Jojo, your mil carries bb for 2hrs!! These babies ah, really dunno wad to do to them sometimes. Not healthy to let them cry out yet will become spoilt if we give in to them all the time. It's getting more n more challenging each day.

Lately, I realised that I am unable to flex my fingers (left hand) naturally, esp in the middle of the night and early morning. I usu woke up with slightly clenched fist, and when I tried to flex my fingers..I needed to my right hand to flex them out one by one, esp the middle and the ring finger.

Could this be due to prolonged of milk expressing? Shd I see a doc?

Genice

heard healthy times was discovered to hv worms in it so mayb u want to buy other brands. Heard the brand organix Is gd. There's a Bp on tat now. Last week I ks went united Sq n bot organix first cereal to standby cos heard tat it gets oos pretty fast.

looking at the feeding schedule dunno if im feeding my boy too little and too frequent? now he's taking abt 130ml per 3-4hr abt 6 feeds a day.. he was 7kg at 3mths 2wks.. but he still regurgitates quite a bit after feed even though i've burped him leh.. sigh.. i thought he'll out grow it..

thinking of starting on apple/fruit puree on my boy.. there's a BP selling Rafferty's garden puree for 4mths+ babies.. advisable to give? anyone tried before?

Healthy times,

Yes there is worms in it!! Happybellies is good too..

I will prefer to start after 5mths cuz bb don't need solid until 1 year old.

For BFing mummies, starting solid earlier will decrease ss cuz bb take lesser milk. Most importantly watch bb cues.

Haiz so frustrated! I sold my freestyle n one week later this mummy come back n tell me my pump spoil! When I was still using with no problem!!

i think my gal is on the smaller side lor.. 3mths 2 weeks now weighing at abt 5.8kg. 50 percentile though. she is drinking at about 100-125ml, every 3 hours. her appeitite seems coming back slow. 3 weeks ago, she can take 125ml at most of her feed. now bottle fuss makes her appeitite slow. i still trying out, hopefully she can take 130ml soon.

Mezzo

Where in united sq did you get the organic cereal?

Healthy Times

Worms? As in a one off incident? Any mommies know what is the outcome of the incident? Was it recalled?

Bliss

You sold your pump? Thought breast pump are not suppose to be shared???

Rabbit, yours not small size leh. mine is only 5.4kg leh. my is drinking every 4 hours, i have increased her to drinking 180ml now. but she cannot finish sometimes. so i alternate between 150 to 18oml now.

Jenn: maybe u r right. switzerland very ex. but dunno why i hate sg so much that i wish to leave, if i've got tons of money, but thats only just a dream, which is not possible at all.

bebe75, i have the same problem as u. it was quite bad when i was pumping exclusively with manual pump. aft which i bought an electronic pump and it got better. now occasionally i use the manual pump and i can feel the pain the next morning. i did not see a doc but hope it will go away totally once i stop expressing.

Jenn,

Yes I sold my pump.. That mummy know that pump might spread infection and I didn't have any infection or so and she is ok. Now she say my pump is spoilt n wan me to take it back...

Bliss

Swayness lo. She mite mishandle it n ya.. Haiz

Next wk I selling off my mini electric too. Spare parts all juz change recently onli.

Delphin

The lady came today. Was amaZe at the water base trappin wonder done by the machine. But ex lehx..$3200

but if sign on spot will haf $300 Discount.

Warranty onli 3yrs(manufacturing warranty) + 7yrs servicing warranty. 7yrs is provided onli if u purchase on the spot

Koi

Omg. Cacoa Barry choco taste very strong! Dun like. Vanallia not bad!! Still love glass jelly milk tea..

elise, wow your baby can drink 180ml! but then again most babies here are pretty big eater. just now my gal manage to drinks up 130ml. i think she can takes abit more at times.

btw, how you all prepare the milk? if baby can drinks 130-150ml, one shot prepare 150ml? and see if baby takes all? because my gal cannot be distracted while drinking. if she finishes 130ml, and i go prepare somemore, she wont take it anymore.

Bliss, i think the lady just want to try out lor. try liao not happy, say pump spoilt.

sheryl, amazing right? so did you buy the machine? true is ex, even the person intro me 3yr installments.. i still feel EX! haha..

Sheryl, Rabbit:

Suay lor.. I won't deal with that mummy anymore. I even test the set with her before she left leh. I told her any problem come back to me tml... But after a week! I'll meet her tonight n see what's wrong with my pump! Piss!!

Eeee.. Mezzo n bliss got worms??? Yucks then I better change brand, mezzo I also heard abt organix b4. Will go check out.

Bliss.. After 1 wk a bit suspicious leh, if u had sold her a lousy one think it takes only 1 day to Noe. So how ugly is she gonna do?

Rainbow n delphin

My fren works in one of the companies manufacturing them n she told me e cost px is less than 200 to make one. It's so expensive because the agents get 1 k commission that's y they will throw in a lot freebies to entice pp to sign. I gunk super overpriced no doubt very shiok to c all e dust being vacuumed out!!

genice

yah! super shiok and stunned to see all the dust la! but wad??! only cost less than 200 to make and they selling.. err 3.2k lei! sian.. ask ur fren buy staff price? ha

bliss

ignore her lo.. u alr told her come by next day.. she came aft a wk!

mezzo

wad's e link for organix bp huh? feel like getting too =)

elise

i think like u too! hhaha.. can't wait to get outta ctry!! switzerland sounds good~!!.. for holiday .. haha... spent 5 mth in brisbane for student exchange.. i think it's a nice place to stay!

Back