(2010/04) April 2010 mtb

ANybody still awake? Its madness coz i jus finished pureeing mimi's food. Wanted to complete everything by last day of yr....

Food consists of:

Ikan Bilis (soaked n fried dry but not yet pound, currently no pounder yet so need buy 2ml!)

Soup stock - veg (sweet corn, carrot, celery stick, spinach, tofu) & pork (pork, carrot, sweet corn) boil both for 3 hrs

Puree - avocado, apple, pear, spinach, carrots, broccoli (pureed sweet potato too but color is yellow n it turned out hard aft cool so mommy ate it up herself)

Meat - Minced pork myself (got fil to buy lean pork frm mkt and threadfin. Gonna start mimi on her 1st meats & porridge 2ml)

So can u imagine i spent the whole evening till now to finish the above. The philips steamer blender can only do so little at a time. Do until back ache. Then 11pm we chiong down MBS see fireworks then came back jam for 1.5hrs n bth nap an hr more. That's y now mooing nia...sigh...wat a way to start the new year!

Sgsc: wow. u are super hardworking! I don't put soup stock, so far just water and some rice, veg, fish or pork and she will take. save my time and effort. haha!

Elmoo: good morning and Happy new year!!

Good Morning everyone!! brand new year [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

SGSC: u very hardworking lei!

i also do the same like maddie.. put very in n cook..hahaha

sgsc,

After I did the stock and cook porridge and got rejected, I just throw everything in slow cooker but i will add loin bones *scalded* and dried scallops then when porridge almost done, I dig them out and discard.

Morn mommies...oops, i mean good aftn kekekekek...so tired.

Celynlee/Maddie/Juski/Orangey - Hardworking ah? whahahha...coz we do for a month's supply. Lazy to do it every day/week. So mi n HB's concept is wan to do might as well do all n wash one time altogether.

Orangey - wah sounds yummy lei...but scallop is seafood rite can feed so early mah? Nw i've got lotsa small bottles of potent stock, hopefully no allergic reaction to any of the soup ingredients else realli *bang wall*

Orangey

no need to dig, use this ball.. put ur stuff in lock it and put in slow cooker

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/4947878.jpg][IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/4947879.jpg]

Today 1st day of a new year, accordingly to my filipino maid, take a small portion of 7 diff kinds of fruits to have good luck for the year Duno how true but my sis went to buy and we just had that.. hehee

Watermelon

Pineapple

Jambu

Rock Melon

Dragonfruit ( red flesh )

Papaya

Honeydew

Can our bbs at tis age nw eat gluten & wheat foods? we got the bellamy's organic toothiepegs for mimi to chew, but box indicates contains the above but is for 6m+ above bbs, so dun dare give her yet

By the way, my boy dun like veggies lei how huh ? Try brocolli, spinach, carrot diff time, the porridge wasted totally dun wan.

So I used this stainless steel balls at least the porridge wont totally be mixed with the veggies.

And now I put anchovies in the ball. sometimes use the sprinkle crispy method..

I duno which way the calcium will be better absorbed so as and when change pattern.

sgsc,

Hmm the scallops more for fragnant? I just follow how my mum cooks. Ming's mum also doing it the same way [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] My PD says its not much of an issue so we ok lor :p

chips,

Ya I told my mum but she tell me that one the "net" easily rust/dirty and if want to use must wash with hot water for every use so we just throw everything in.

Orangey

It's stainless steel so far ok..

sometimes use sometimes no use especially if the serving for the day is with veggies

Hi Chips,

Ur boy boy v sharp tongue hor, so young knows how to reject vegetables liao!

Hmm, maybe u try giving him root vegetables such as sweet potatoes, corn, pumpkin? Because they are sweet so easier to 'con' them into eating. Then shall your son takes to it, then u put some green veg into the porridge and use the sweet smelling root veg to hide the 'green' smell/taste?

Rurucat

Maybe cos I dun take veggies bah tat y he follow me..

As for corn, nt his current age rite. Can't remember if Im right shld be 1 yr to start corn..

Pumpkin, I duno which to buy, cos so many diff type in ntuc. someone pls tel me which to buy. Got rough skin, smooth skin, n not round 1. All sorts of pumpkins available in market, I see a few times stil haven buy. hmmm

Happy New Year everyone!

Was just at Goodwood at High Tea and we gave our daughter a lick of the durian puff and she loved it! So we gave her a little bit more [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Orangey: We have the Aprica - bought from Robinson's too. It's very light and convenient (can be opened with one hand) that's why I picked it over the Maclaren. Aprica us 5.5 kg while the Maclaren is something like 8 kg. BUT, I now find it a tad bit too light! Once, I lifted my daughter out when my heavy diaper bag was still hanging on the handles of the pram and the whole pram almost overturned. Am looking to get another stroller soon and will probably get the Maclaren Quest this time

i give my girl cherry yesterday and she loves it. i think she ate about 2 of them.

porridge:

i just throw everything inside to cook. i don't puree at all. i got this shredder which can shred very thin strips. so i just shred the vege into thin strips and cook together.

orangey,

i buy those super small scallop bits to cook with porridge. i will just feed them also.

sg_sc,

i'm a bad example when comes to introducing solids. my girl will eat whatever we eat as long as i think its ok. :p

shappie,

i started to give corn long ago. its the first few vege i give.

Sgsc,

Re wheat/gluten in teething biscuits

Tt time I also got concern abt tt so din give gal tt though I bought it. But later I got ask Pd over phone n rem he told me tt stomach prob (think its celiac disease?? Cant rem the name) due to the wheat/ gluten is rare in Asians. N it's also u have it means u have it, u won't outgrow it one. Dun have means dun have. a bit like the lactose intolerant prob. If u r lactose intolerant, even as adult, u will still be lactose intolerant. So nothing to do with whether intro now or later? U might wanna ask ur Pd on this to confirm in case I rem wrongly. Since then I nvr bother abt wheat/gluten issue liao. I gave my gal food tt contains tt. No prob.

Selling Medela freestyle breast pump (dual breast pumps)@$300. Used

for 7 months

What’s Included

* Attractive tote bag

* Hands-Free Kit

2 bra adapters

* 2 replacement bra adapters - universal

* 2 replacement bra adapters - hook & eye

* Support belt & extension

* 1 set of tubing

* 2 breastmilk bottles, lids & travel cap

* Rechargeable battery

* Power cord & charger

* Contoured ice pack

* Removable cooler carrier

* Instructions & quick start card

* Breastfeeding Information Guide

Interested parties, pls leave yr email address or email to [email protected]

Morn mommies!

Orangey, Celynlee - very sad lor. Yday i boil her porridge for 3 hrs over stove, keep adding water n stirring occasionally. Then dunno y aft i added the stock n fish in, then left it for 5 mins nia, porridge cao ta n broth all overflow. In the end, mimi outright rejected n we ate the fish bits ourselves. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] gonna try wif slow cooker later liao. waste my time n effort!

Gbh - u & ur gal still nite owl ah?? hahha...yday we fed her the toothiepegs wen we went out liao. Smells awful like plastic smell, but she loves it lei...so let her chew/ngaw lor...dun care so much liaoz. Tks for confirmation! ;p

sg-sc: wah..3 hrs ah....

i only cook 30mins...... and leave it for awhile, than when it time to feed bb,i will add abit more water n make hot again..

sgsc,

Over stove for 3hrs is too long so the bottom part of the porridge will cao ta. Actually if u want cook over stove, soak your rice longer so it will cook softer and faster. I tried both slow cooker and stove find that slow cooker porridge are more fragrant and taste nicer, creamier but definitely need 2 hrs which explains why I have to wake up at 6am to defrost and cut veggies/meat then put them to cook. By noon, BB Orangey can have his porridge [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Re: porridge

Yup, for stove very tedious. Need to jaga nonstop 1-2 hours. Slow cooker 2 hours can already. Else steam in rice cooker half hour. =)

i use slow cooker, similar to orangey. The only difference is that i pre-cook, shed/grind and freeze the veggies. So, i just add these frozen cubes into the porridge around mid way

you all very hardworking leh. i'm a lazy mummy. i find slow cooker super slow, i use that during #1's time. now i cook over stove then pour into thermal food jar and keep my thermal food jar inside my thermal pot. :p no longer cook puree or soft soggy porridge for her. her food is in bits.

mummies that cook porridge over slow cooker, do you boil awhile over the stove, then tfr to slow cooker? or just immediately put the rice grains and water and meat into slow cooker?

happy new year mummies! may we have a great 2011 ahead!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/rofl.gif]

brot bb and kids to see fireworks at SK open field, was afraid too loud for her.. but she can watch until fall asleep.. lol!

wow i just read sg_sc post... you really very very hardworking, one shot prepare so much for bb food! i only puree one type of veg every weekend! *idol!

Good morning mummies! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Back to work again...

Juski/Celynlee - ya 3 hrs...tis time i make sure i keep my eyes on it. But if u cook for half hr nia, then the porridge still quite hard rite? then bb hard to swallow woh...

Orangey/Maddie - so using slow cooker also need 2 hrs ah? need add water constantly anot or it'll jus boil using watever there is in the pot by itself over n over again..(mommy here neva use b4 tats y nw so blur)

Orangey - 6am very early lei...can try Fern's mtd to add frozen cube into porridge easier. Yday i did the same for the veg stock + fish. In the end mimi din finish everything. Gek sim ah...Spill the fish porridge everywhere on table, floor, seat, body..yucks, after tat seem to have fish smell all ard mi! luckily i only need to do tis over weekend else i'll go crazy!!

Jas03 - haha..my prev post also explains y i do so many at a shot~~~ coz we dun wanna do it every weekend, so in a way we r actually the "lazy" ones

BB Porridge - wats the consistency like for ur bbs?

- Totally soft but thick (like cantonese porridge, nua nua kind)

- Totally soft and watery

- Soft and watery (like Teochew porridge wif lotsa water)

i mash up the fish against the bowl feed mimi, but prob too dry or still too big bits n she tend to choke/gag at times..prob need to let her get used to texture more? Mommy here so stressed on weaning n puree making and nw porridge...sigh..so bad at tis...

DO WE NEED TO puree the porridge, ie. blend again after cooked? or can feed with soft rice grain of the porridge

SG_SC

- Totally soft but thick (like cantonese porridge, nua nua kind) - this is my boy porridge.

Soak grain in water before cooking tis is wat I did when I use stove. actually I prefer porridge cook in stove then slow cooker. On stove porridge smell so much better and its being stir with love hahaa....

Now using slow cooker no longer soak in water..

By the way my mother bought 'new rice' she say easier to nua, duno how she differentiate.

sgsc,

I lazy to steam veggies and puree thats why I throw everything into the slow cooker. At first super into purees that I did different variety every week and freeze them then one day, I tasted the warm purees and was like "yuck" why taste like that and decided okay, give BB Orangey fresh ones! My mum totally object to frozen purees which in turns sort of make me not do purees to freeze lor. She says fresh is the best [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

The porridge consistency will depends on the timing. Between 30-45 mins, the porridge belongs to the Teochew porridge kind. 1hr or so, it'll be like soft but still can see broken grains and more than 2hrs will be Canto porridge kind [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

BB Orangey usually takes the canto porridge kind cause my mum and I usually cook porridge early in the morning so when its noon time, porridge is totally nua liao but yesterday cause both my BB Orangey and baby niece too hungry le so didn't wait till it to be nua so just give like the soft broken grains kind but I mashed them up a bit. If you want to give canto kind but don't want to wait so long you can try blending the porridge. I did that the other day, the same as canto porridge! Shorter time but more things to wash so nevermind I'll wait 2hrs for the porridge :p

Btw, when you cook fish porridge you can try putting in 1 slice of ginger cause the fish can be too fishy lah so baby reject the porridge.

Chips,

My PD says over the stove kills more nutrients actually cause the temperature is higher. Don't know how true?

I think so long you cook over high temperature, there bound to be loss of nutrients but since they are still young, should be fine. My PD says the common loss of nutrients are generally from vegetables. Meat wise is still okay cause the nutrients are usually absorbed into the rice/soup.

Chips

Ur mum is right. Use either new rice or calrose right for making porridge and no the nutrients wun be killed.

It's just like we make soup, boil and all the good stuff goes into the soup.

Orangey

btw I glanced thru and saw u put dried scallops?

Try putting them after baby orangey turns 1yo cos dried scallops got salt content leh

I'm starting to give Tristan more grain like porridge. Not making them nua nua liaoz.

btw those whose babies like melts and puffs now got promo 8 for $48.

ZZ,

Yah lor so I never really put dried scallops le. I just use loin bone with fish/veggies! :D

Mum says use ikan bilis but my BB orangey dont like! He gives that "hen er xin leh this porridge" face :S

orangey

try using loin meat instead so u dun hv to blanch the meat cos very clean.

use the loin bones got blood still hv to blanch very mafan. Also use the meat we eat during confinement, that one good for blood nourishment

ZZ,

My mum lor.. ask me to use loin bones cause of calcium level. She says the calcium will go to the rice and soup and its good for baby. I'm okay with blanching the bones cause I only need to cook during weekends :p You more mafan cause you need to cook everyday! I peifu you leh, the first thing I go home is nua on my sofa :p

Orangey

er xin also must eat cos a lot of calcium ..milk alone dosent provide enough bah need other food to have enough nutrients for their growing.

What else other then ikan to provide calcium ?

I myself dun eat healthily but will like my boy to have healthy n nutritious food..

eg I dun take veggies but I insist my boy should have it.

Orangey

I don't cook everyday lah.. where got everyday..

I cook weekends only for both my kids.

I can skip my lunch but they can't lah.. lol

I know they can draw the calcium from the milk that's why milk is still an essential to babies now.

Tristan is standing and cruising along furnitures and crawling ard my entire hse so I would think his meals and feeds r ok

What u need to take note is the iron, cos bm can't provide iron and babies so need this after 6mo.

Chips,

Breast Milk alone has more then enough calcium for our baby [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Calcium from food are just supplements actually. The main reason for introducing solids is more of iron cause when baby reach 6 months old, their iron reserves will deplete so we need to supplement them with iron :D

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/Iron.htm

Back