(2010/03) March 2010 mtb

chloe, try not to give bb formula until milk ss is establish coz bb shiok shiok, no need work so hard can get milk. Will be "spoilt" and won;t want to latch on for your milk. PLus if your milk ss not establish, hard to catch up with bb dd if u satisfy bb with formula.

Get the lactation consultant to help u while u are in the hospital, they are usually very encouraging and helpful and very informative. If u are so determined to bf, can even ask them to visit u at home after discharge to help out. Like jules said, it's tough in the beginning.

jon, i thought its quite normal to have blood initially?? So do you dispose the entire pump out? So what happen if you are not pumping but the baby is latching on? Is it ok for them to swallow the blood with the milk?

haha sorry to have scare u but that's what happened to me [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] the initial part is tough and u will really need a lot of support.

like what 1727 said, most of the time the older relatives esp mil or even your own mother may as u to just give formula coz scared bb hungry, not enough milk. Old pp very concern that bb is hungry. Plus lacth on, u don know how much bb has eaten so feel very insecure.

good morning everyone! welcome katherine [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] i think BF very impt.. even if the baby can't latch on also must express it out. cos in my mum's time (the 80s).. she didn't BF me cos my mouth too small haha but she didn't express either. the doc gave her some meds to reduce the milk production.. end up she got infection/inflammation then & this year she was diagnosed wiv breast cancer. not saying everything is linked together lah but i think it's not coincidence also. that's why i choose to deliver at Mt A.. i heard their lactation consultation very pro & patient [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jamie, sorry to hear about your mom. Pardon me, but during your stay for delivery, the hospital's lactation consultant will attend to you & give u lesson or do you have to book them in advance??

1727, well sad to say that it is common to bleed but I also know some pp can do it properly. Maybe it's like seasoning the tit that's why will bleed initially [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My gf was telling me that she had a scalp (not sure abt spelling) on the nipple, after bb drink, scalp disappeared!! haha so u know where the scalp went??

1727, kkh lactation consultant also very pro and nice. They are so committed to bf. They conduct day classes and u attend for free. During my time, hospital knew I wanted to bf so they will sedn her to you, if not I think u can just request. But i must say that raffles one is not good and supportive. (my opinion only)

1727- it's ok.. she recovered already :) they will auto come. i heard the PR rep will come visit you every morning too. and ask you if you need more help with BF, if you need she will ask the lactation consultant to come again

ya.. me also very scare abt BF becos of the pain.. but i will endure for the baby sake.. hope my BF will be smooth smooth de.. hehe

i see. i'm contemplating between TMC & Mt A as they are near my home. BTW, i heard the meds docs gave to stop milk supply if you don't wana bf will make your boobies shrunk in size. So if can, dont take it. Hahaha

Elise, I've been taking once every 2 weeks too.

Chloe, BabyL, yes, bfing is a dd and ss thing. Most mommies have to supplement with formula for first month or so. It's not easy but just have to perserve. If you are tired from latching on, the alternative is to express and let another person feed - but note that some bbs may reject latching on after bottle feeding (as it is easier to drink from teat) and you may find it easier to express milk from a good quality pump. The low end ones normally not as efficient. every mother will be able to produce milk..

during the 1 year that I BF, I had 3 cases of infection. high fever. had to be on antibiotics. The first time was within 1st month of delivery, then at 3rd month and once more at 6th month.

Just to share, I'm taking bird's nest called dou4 something or something dou4.. the cheapest type that I could find at chinese medical halls. but the highest grade of that. 5A. I like the taste and texture of it. not sure if I had a good deal though.. whether it is value for money. 3 liang3 which was 12 pieces cost me $320. (it was buy 2 liang, 1 liang FOC).

chloe and baby_pink, the first 2-3 days, the baby lives on yr colostrum - the first most nutritious food for the baby. the milk will come thereafter. As we do not use our nipple, hence the frequent usage by the baby can cause soreness and with poor latching bleeding. As mothers sometimes associate babies' crying to insufficient feeding, hence FM comes in to supplement.

I had sleepless nights with my baby no 1 cos was totally clueless abt bf. I was crying as it was really tough trying to feed. however, when i thot of how my close colleagues succeed, i perservered. Hence total breastfeeding for both my kids. i totally enjoy the time i had w them when they were latching. then i found out that if i'm stressed, they feel it and be stressed with me and thus cry. When i'm relax, the let-down is faster.

TMC also has classes for new mothers to learn how to bathe and feed nb. The LC will also come and see you. The nurses are also helpful cos i always press for help whenever it was feeding time as a first time mother unless i dun know what is called shy in front of strangers, undressed. haha...

i heard some mothers eat fenugeek or something like that to boost milk supply.

not sure if mommies delivering in TMC knows - you can order red date tea after delivery. a day b4 you are discharge, you can get yr hubby to order the fish w papaya soup from the cafeteria to bring home to drink. i din know abt the red date tea so my hubby brought a flask everyday. not sure if got any charges for the tea.

jules, yes, can take with pao sheng. One week twice, i will double boil red dates, longan, pao sheng, dang sheng and wolfberry to drink.

im taking eu ren sheng concentrated bird nest. 1 tea spoon every night. causeway point having promotion 2 bottle for $118. and i bot a lot of herbal soup pack.

Dear all mummy o mummy to be,

I have a relative from Malaysia who do confinement. She had few yrs experience as a CL lady, can cook very well & take good care of baby. Anyone who is interested, pls e-mail o msn me at [email protected]

Note down the mth ur need, so tat i can confirm her schedule.

elise31, 1727 & Baby_pink, thanks. Yes, my tummy is bigger compared to a singleton of the same weeks. My MIL, SIL n colleagues all mentioned that though they still do not know that I am having twins except MIL. She told us not to tell cos pantang lor. But my SILs are suspecting liao.Hee..

Cactus_79, no problem..Thanks for updating. I am staying near Changi prison. But your area is not far from mine, just a 10 mins drive. I always go there for makan, very nice Malay food. Yum! yum!

It seems mummies hv started to consume bird's nest drink liao. I shd remind my hubby to buy for me to drink.

Did any mummies experience any pain in the leg like baby pressing onto your nerve? Mine is lor and walking aso abit painful.

curiousleo, why after 1st tri still cannot tell?

Me got occasional cramps pain at pelvic area which i guess is ligment stretching...

Jules, depending on the grade and the type of bird's nest that you buy, it is not difficult to clean. You can request to see the dried pieces.. can see how dirty or clean it is.

The type that I bought is very clean. only 2 or 3 bits of dark stuff. no feathers. I've taken Long Ya or Ya Long bird's nest also.. it is more dirty than the dou4 dun know what bird's nest. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Long Ya or Ya Long is much more expensive also. $260 per liang3. compared with $160 per liang for the one that I bought. 1 liang is about 4 pieces (5A grade).

actually buying dried pieces is more value for money, I feel. you get much more per dollar. The lower the grade, 1A being lowest grade and 5A being highest grade of the same type of bird's nest, the less the bird's nest will expand. the 5A type will expand alot alot more than 1A. The dried version is also much bigger and thicker for 5A compared to 1A. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hi mummies to be,

im also delivering end of march 2010.may i know if any mummy still having morning sickness? im in the 14th week but still find myself not eating much and feeling nausea

i guess mummies here are almost in the same period of pregnancy,i find tt my tummy is still very small if i wear loose clothes pple might not see tt im pregnant and i also find it shrunk in size tis week is it normal?

Jamie, thanks for the link. Very informative.

Think i'll do a hospital tour to find out.

Elise, what's dang sheng?? Are you able to write it in Chinese? I only heard of pao sheng.

bebechan, I'm also still having morning sickness. but it's not as bad as before. my tummy appears to have shrunk but I suspect it's due to less air now... I used to burp ALOT.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

bebechan, welcome.

It shld be usual if your stomach is not bloated and u have clear yr bowels. For me especially if i clear my bowels, burp n fart alot that day, tummy will be smaller.

cactus

i am not sure what type of bird nest i am taking. hb's uncle running a medical hall so he get the stuff there. it's not cheap. 4 pcs already cost ard $150. according to his uncle, it is premium grade? i don't know. i just drink and it is yummy haha..

wow! Nice to have an uncle running medical hall! do you know the name of the bird's nest that you are taking? Is it more white or more yellow? and have space in between the strands? When cooked, is it long long yellow strand or white ones which are not so long?

I don't know anyone working in medical hall personally, so a bit concerned may not be given correct advice. currently, am buying a type which is about same price as yours... 4 pieces is 1 liang, $160. If have promotion, then buy 8 pieces, 4 pieces free.

Hello all! Hope you have a good lunch earlier!

Katherine, congrats with having twins! Btw, my coughing was quite bad and it only starts from evening onwards with phlegm. But today it started from morning. Sometimes i can cough till I have to press my pelvis coz it can cause the pain. Thats y my gynae asked me to continue with my utrogestron to prevent contraction.

Regarding the gender scan, at 14 weeks i cant see anything protruding in between, most likely can presume its a gal? Hehehe....Coz i know some can know its a boy by 12 weeks so I suppose if really "nothing", should not be growing later on ba? Sorry, abit "mountain tortoise" on this...

cactus

it is yellowish and hv very little tiny black "fur" on it. usually no need to pick. just rinse with water 1 round and soak overnight. next day pour whole bowl of soaked water with bird nest into double boiler. i will add 2 red dates to give some taste. it is not really long long yellow strand after cooked, but also not a short & breaking strand. sometimes got "lumpy" strand too LOL. yes, it has space in between. let me take pic this fri when i prepare it [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

wow, so many kinds of bird nest..

I only know the one my mum buy is from hock hua.. think 1 liang 145? then mil buy from indonesia.. her bird nest shape is different from what my mum bot, her is like a scoop.. not those flat kind like hock hua.

loinki, the promo @ causeway point ended last sun liao. i bot some from there too. very cheap.

U & chloe with Dr Lawrence Ang at sun plaza? I'm seeing him too. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

elise

yah yah mine also look like a scoop, not flat type. i don't study bird nest, so all my knowledge is from what i see/drink from the one my hb bought. haha.. had try those bottled one before, home cooked one is definitely more yummy and value for money. you can eat whole piece of bird nest. got the 口感.

lovinglife, no need to take photo! no need for the trouble. I think I'm taking the same type as yours. Cos the other types of birds' nest are very long thick strands. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Thanks for sharing!

BabyL, I think it's easier to confirm boy than girl at early scans. for girls, probably can only know for definate at week 20 scan. It's not only the absence of "you know what", but also the presence of ovaries for baby girls. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

BabyL, sometimes, it's also the position of the baby.. if position is not ideal, may not be able to see "any thing". Then may assume is a girl. I think the best is to ask your doctor or sonographer the chances of a girl or boy. in my case, I was told at week 12 scan that likely to be a girl but not confirmed. cos never see anything doesn't mean have nothing. Maybe will have better idea at week 16.. but think will know for definate by week 20.

Back