(2010/03) March 2010 mtb

Serlina, the down syndrome test measures some AFP thing in our blood, the measurement of the bb's skinfold at the neck area, and our age. The age is only one of the 3 factors in computing a risk profile. my SIL at 28 years old aborted her bb due to abnormalities. doctors will say young age means less risk but not say no risk.

cactus, ya.. i rmbred my last pregnancy, i tink at ard 20 weeks, my gynae suggested we go for a scan to measure the thickness of the baby's neck.. he said if its abnormally thick, its a high chance the baby is a DS..

seriously girls, even when we are discussing of having another kid, i am dead worried abt DS.. Frankly, this is my 2nd marriage... Its my hb's first... i am very worried because he had an elder sis who is a DS.. and one of his cuzen had a DS child too.. My gynae said it might be hereditary but it might be a case of coincidence.. but again, i always prefer to look at the brighter side of things.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

chloe, don't feel too alone! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] no one is with my doctor either!

TeeNolyL, there is an even earlier test now.. no need to wait till 20 weeks. It can be done during 1st trimester. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] they test the same thing. Actually, like you, I am worried about DS. Cos DS is ultimately a chromosome disorder. my SIL's 1st pregnancy auto-terminated (possibly chromosome). Her 2nd pregnancy to term. 3rd pregnancy aborted mid trimester cos chromosome disorder. For myself, my #1 pregnancy, was high risk for chromosome disorder, but thankfully my boy was born normal. I am worried loh. but cannot let the fear stop me from trying for another child.

well, look fr the feedback guess it'll be better to go for the test ya??

rebecca,

for my package it's 588.50(incl gst) and yes it includes even normal sickness...if i'm not well i can juz go to him. why did u say u regret?

it's cheap, Serlina! I pay about the same for a 10 visit package with my doctor... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

TeeNoyL, NUH good leh! They have attached toilet to every room in labour ward, and I think they have water birth facilities upon request! Also, the evening after your baby is born, you and your husband will be served candle light dinner! so thoughtful!

TeeNoyL, I hope all mothers to be will never need to make the decision whether or not to terminate a pregnancy due to abnormalities in the fetus. That decision will haunt us for our entire lives.. not sure if you understand. My SIL had been 3 months behind me when I was preggie with my #1. When she made the decision to terminate her pregnancy, I felt my world collapsing.. cos I had been high risk for DS, but I chose not to go for amnio, for fear of miscarrying. At week 32, my baby was diagnosed with dilated renal pelvis (common in DS fetuses), but my hb and I held on to him... thank God he was normal.. more normal than we could have ever expected him to be. and the dilated renal pelvis went away without treatment soon after birth...

ooorrrr.. u mean other hospital dont??

ya ya, EVERY delivery suite (sound proof k! keke) is equipped with an attached toilet with water birth facility.. very tempted to go an soak myself in there to ease the labour pain.. but i prefer to keep myself distracted by watching tv lor..

candle light dinner for class A la.. if all classes have candle light dinner, NUH will go bankrupt!

TeeNoyL, NO!!! Most hospitals don't have attached toilets. Mt A, TMC, SGH, KKH all doesn't have attached toilets. Can't even take a warm shower during labour!

I didn't know candle light dinner only for A class. Then again, candle light dinner not too expensive mah. just nice tablecloth, one candle, maybe some flowers, can already? The food shld still be the same? Just different presentation right? :p

During my first labour, I distracted myself from pain by playing wordsearch. TV didn't help at all!

Wow.. so sweet, got candle light dinner.

all of us has got so much worries. Im 32, is my 1st pregnancy. I'm a smoker n drinker, but stop once im tested positive. Im gog for the scan tml. hope can see heart beat. after dat i will start to worry abt DS, cos of my age. Haiz...

chloe, it's a process of worrying .... that's what a mother is naturally known to do.. (think about our moms who nag?!! They nag precisely cos they are worried for us!).

cactus, i understand.. i too opt out amnio for the same reason.. for my case, i gt pregnant again just 3 mths after my 20 weeks miscarriage.. i was always being phobia when time to listen to the heartbeat.. but my gynae always said "lightning wont struct twice at the same place" but i guess instead of 4 weekly checkup, my gynae will see me every 3 weeks like the last time..

cactus, u are very brave. u didnt do the amnio test even though it was tested high risk for DS. For me, my thought is to bring a life to enjoy. I dun wan it to suffer. so if ever im confirmed having a DS baby. I will abort it.

TeeNoyL, don't know if it applies to you.. for me, the critical periods are to cross the landmines which I closely avoided in my 1st pregnancy.

Chloe, I'm not brave. I am just TOO cowardly to face the regret if I had caused my baby to miscarry. Cos I feel that even an abnormal child deserves to live... I can't abort, or risk losing a baby through a medical procedure like amnio(whether healthy or not).

actually, I'm not here to change yo ur mind or anything. cos we are all entitled to our own views. but I'm wondering why you think a DS baby will suffer? my husband has a blind cousin, but he is very happy and very confident.. I suspect cos his parents invested alot of affection in him. He is 22 years old now, and passed 2 GCE O' levels papers. He is a happy young adult. I feel that all babies are capable of feeling loved, whether or not they are normal or abnormal. Even the sickest baby in hospital ICU will stop crying for a while when his mother carries him lovingly in his arms...

actually, maybe I think too much, that's why I'm a coward.

I just hope all mothers-to-be have normal healthy babies. Especially mothers-to-be on this forum. Being on this forum means we care about our babies.. and if we care about them, hopefully we never have to make difficult decisions.

Serlina, mine 750 nett leh .. for unlimited visits, incld my 1st visit, also can go to him for any other illness. is it cheap? im not sure if it includes DS test? have to check .. what about yrs?

ya cactus,

i muz agree that the package for dr adrian is real cheap...wat's more it's near my hse so ver convenient.

initially wanted to go to dr caroline khi but her package is 688(excl gst) and only for 12 weeks onwards

so i muz say i really got a very gd deal...juz that the waiting time is super long. ave. wait is an hour.

and to all ladies...ya i do agree that all of us down here all wish well for our little life growin in us....wish is why most of the MTB here tend to get worried pretty easily over a slight thing that is happen on us or around us...but all in all...thought we can't help to worry...try not to worry too much...juz stay positive [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

god bless all here and our little bb.

rebecca, all the package that i've research does not include the 12weeks DS test and the 20weeks detailed scan.

btw who's ur gynae? to me 750 sound a little ex to me....but it actually depends on individual

does urs cover the medicine as well?

mine is $500 right from the 1st visit. include DS test, not sure if it includes detailed scan, all supplements included.

hi ladies,

Went for my first gynae visit today @ 6wks, saw bbb's heartbeat!! Phew!.....gynae didn't advise due date, isn't it strange she said can't really tell yet?.....

Hi ladies, just wondering if anybody hv discharge with streaks of blood? I just hv it n it got me worry. Dunno if it's common. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Pls advice.

Stileto, when you said 6 weeks, did you count from yr 1st day of last period?

Serlina, my gynae is dr Wong, includes multivit & urine tests.. i think i must go and visit him more often to fully utilise the $$ I paid lor..

hi rebecca...haha...i guess....ya i guess u shld visit him more often...disturb him more often by throwin more qns to him also to fully utilise ur $$$$ hahaha...

Josephyn,

Dun worry, i haf dat too and it worries mi alot. My gynae say its not uncommon, and she prescribed Duphaston for mi (a kind of 'an tai' medicine). See ur gynae if it happens often.

Thanks Grace [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] It happened last nite n I'm monitoring it...so far so gd...really freak me out last nite...hee... :p

Hi all. I'm in my 5th week now with my first. EDD late March 2010. I was so kanchiong that I tested myself on the day I missed my period. Anyone as kanchiong as me, can get Clearblue from JB. Hehe...its more sensitive (stated on the box) than the Clearblue in Singapore.

Neways, I'm really lost as whether shld I start going to gynae or still stick to my GP for first trimester. Secondly, I dont know which gynae to pick. Am thinking of going KK coz hubby is a civil servant so outpatient services, I am getting it free too. =) How much can we claim from medisave?

Btw, I already have a bulging tummy at 5 weeks. Is tt the baby or is tt pure fats? =P

Gosh...can someone help me with the package thingy? How do I search for it? And what does the packages include? I heard from some it starts from 2nd trimester. Some start even after 1st mth. Does the package include labour and ward? Ermm...arghhh...I'm confuused.

The anxiety of a new MTB...

hi blueyrose

dun be confused....relax..see if i can help u with this..hee [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

okie..1st of all..do u hv any gyane in mind? u can ask around for ur frenz opinions or if ur family members or close frenz hv any to recommend.

if u hv ur list ready..juz call up the doc's clinic n juz ask them for the price for their package and when the package starts.

coz for some they start fr their 1st visit when confirm preggie, but some start 12 weeks n 20 weeks...

as for the package...most of them actually include the normal scan and consultation n e supplements and also if u not well can juz go back to them it's inclusive as well.

if u wish to find out more package detail feel free to check with the clinic asst. when u ring them up. coz different gynae package differs.

like for my gynae dr adrian woodsworth, his package starts fr 1st visit when confirm preggy. and it's 588.50(incl GST).

hope my info helps...hee...feel free to drop ur post id u got further qns...guess all mummies n mtbs are more then happy to share with u [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Kayden

Thanks a lot for the info. That helps in addressing my worries. Actually, looking at KK gynae list, I shortlisted Dr Benjamin Tham (read lots of good praises about him). But only to find out that his location is in Jurong. I stay in Tampines.

My cousin took Dr Tan Kim Teng and she said the gynae doesnt talk much. She only informs when asked. Although she takes care of her patients well, being a first time mother, I do need info. I can't ask if I don't even know what to ask, you see. So I don't plan to take her.

Besides that, I don't know other gynae. My relatives mostly went Raffles (find it too expensive for me).

Your visits with Dr Adrian Woodsworth is in the hospital or his clinic? This is where my confusion builds up. Coz I heard from hubby that outpatient visits are free in KK as it is govnt (hubby is civil servant). So if I go to the gynae's clinic, it wont be free anymore right? Coz it is private and not in KK?

On top of that, hearing from hubby that outpatient fees are free for me, do I still need to pay for the package? If I do, then when does the free outpatient fees come in?

o_O

blueyrose,

hmm...actually for ur case to me u dun really need to sign-up for the package. coz i have a frenz who's hubby is a civil servant as well. she does not need to pay anything...juz show the card and half will be subsidised n half will be deducted straight fr his hubby's salary. but guess it only apply if u pay ur visit at KK itself.

Blueyrose, hi dear....juz wanna clear something. I dont think that its really free for civil servants cos it actually work this way. yup, you wont have to pay any amt on your visit. and it might be subsidized(this im not so sure about kkh..maybe someone can clear this up for us..) da rest of da payment will be deducted from his pay.. Thts how government hospitals work..but im not so sure about kkh thou... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hi blue_y

guess i hv clear ur doubt in my previous post.

for civil servant, half is subsidise by his unit and the other half is deducted fr the hubby's salary.

and yes it applies to KKH as my frenz visited KKH for herself. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

serlina, ehehe thanks....didnt see your reply or refresh.... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

tiredkarin, you are right [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Normal abdominal scan for me...My appointment with gynae on Thurs was great [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Bb has heartbeat and was hiding very low until my gynae was pressing quite low down there, keke. At that time, gynae said bb is 7 weeks 3 days old. Very relieved now. Hubby was thrilled. But gynae also found a cyst...he said it might disappear as my pregnancy progresses, should be ok. Gynae said EDD as at now is 8 March but he will give me a more accurate EDD when i see him 3 weeks later when i'm 10 weeks plus, to see if bb is growing and to do all the blood tests. Heng no vaginal scan. Dr Tham is very generous with mc wor. Even asked if i want a whole week off, take it as national service *gulp* Of cause i only took 1 day. My company will kill me if i take too many mc. Same as you, i only want to get through the first trimester for now. I feel tired and nauseous all the time, it's rather sickening....

TeeNoyL, i think your body is trying to 排毒...i've read that on babycentre. So maybe that's why you've been lau-sai-ing ah :p I cope with nauseous while standing in mrts by taking sweets. I will close my eyes and imagine i'm by the beach. Don't laugh, i really do that lor. Especially when mrt is very jerky, i really feel like crying out in frustration because the jerkiness makes me feel worse. Usually, by the time i reached my workplace, i need to go toilet to puke liao. The train journeys suck. By the way, my neighbour told me smelling fresh lemons helped alot for her. So i think i might just start taking lemon sweets...

Siti, i don't think MS is linked to the sex of the babies...i've too many mummies around me at work, most of them have MS and most of them have boys. Haha...A lucky few ate all the way, just per normal, come out also gals. I think MS is just linked to our HCG level or something, heh. Are you hoping for a boy? :p Now i think back, my GP told me he recommended most of his patients to NUH but to Prof Mary Rauff or something.

yeffrey, i've asked my gynae about the recommended dosage for folic acid. He told me this is singapore, so everything also very kiasu. All along, i ate the 500mcg one. But GP gave me 5000mcg. I was worried and asked my gynae if anything will happen to my bb since i've been consuming the 'wrong' dosage. He told me a firm no :p He said 500mcg thereabouts are sufficient and the best source should come from green leafy vegetables, not supplements. He said it's up to me, whether i want to continue with my normal 500mcg or the 5000mcg one that my GP had prescribed. He also said 5000mcg is not too high, any extras will be urinated out lor, heh.

Josephyn, are you staying around Jurong West St.93?? For mine, they've just finished painting the exterior...Now touching up the interior.

Xynn, i get very nauseous when i'm hungry too. I have good days and bad days. Sometimes, a few crackers is enough to stop myself from puking but sometimes, i just puke non-stop. I can puke until my legs go soft and my tummy aches from the retching...I keep telling myself to hang on....

cactus, confirm you ovulated late then...when would be your next appointment? Thanks for sharing on the dang gui stuff! My mum bought me chicken essence with dang gui, i never take any of that because i just don't feel like it. Need to ask you something too...my gynae gave me Progesterone. Why do i need that huh?? Is it because i told him i had brown discharge? I'm supposed to take it every night for 3 weeks but last night i forgot *oops* And from the name, i suspect it might make me puke even more??!

yve, my MIL bought some stuff for me from the TCM. Costs her near $200. The thing is, i don't wish to eat any of that. How can i know if thte stuff she's brewing is safe? And she only went around asking before buying thanks to my husband who gave her $ to get some good stuff for me as i'm not eating much. I'm worried of hurting her feelings....

serlina, mine is 1.2cm at 7 weeks 3 days old. I think your 1.69cm is normal wor, keke. I'm also seeing my gynae for the 2nd time in 3 weeks. He said its mainly to see if bb is growing and also for blood tests. By the way, both me and my husband have civil service card. Does that mean if i've used up my medical allowance ( i think its $350 per year), i can use his to pay? Haha...

Chloe, my neighbour was with Dr Lawrence Ang. She is happy with him and i've heard that Dr Ang is pro natural w/o epi, heh. He is very chop chop during consultations, that's his style [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

rebecca, $700 plus package sounds alright to me. My first gynae visit already costs around $120? But when i showed them my civil service card, i don't have to pay anything. Think only first few visits no need to pay anything....

Blueyrose, my gynae is Dr Benjamin Tham. But i see him at KKH TPS, not at Jurong...For KKH TPS, i don't think there is any package. It's always pay per visit i think. For Dr Tham, first consultation is around $91, subsequent consultations around $66, including gst and primary scans, excluding detailed scans and medications/vitamins. My first visit to him costs me around $122 in total....

hi ladies...just wana check....been having headache for the past few hours...Is it safe for me to consume a tab or two of panadol extra to relief the pain? Will it have any bad effect on the bb?

Blue_Y, my gynae told me panadol is absolutely safe. If you are worried, maybe you trying drinking abit of H20 or 100plus. Isotonic drinks i've heard, can help relieve headaches abit [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Butterwaffles, Hi [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] I stay at admiralty area (woodlands) and its terrible at the moment as they have started the painting work plus some unit upstair is renovating...so how do u cope with being preg n all the paint smell?

butterwaffles, thanks for da advice..i might just take a tab and worry all da way till the 1st gynae visit...hehe. Ive no isotonic drinks at hme rite now. Maybe shld stock it up as another form of safer relief...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Josephyn, i just close all the windows and on air-con. Smells affect me alot...now they are touching up the walls right outside my unit, so it can get quite bad. I'm actually going to head out later to buy the thing where you can mix a few drops of aroma oils and have it act like an 'air purifier'. Maybe you can try putting one at home. Else you will get headaches from the smell of the paint....

Blue_Y, you know what i did to assure myself before i saw my gynae for the first time? I take my temperature first thing in the morning with a BBT (basal body temperature) thermometer..as long as i see my temperature stays high, i feel more assured. I also have morning sickness and so long i'm still puking, i guess i'm still pregnant bah, due to the HCG levels. Else, monitor your boobs. Your boobs should be getting more swollen and sore by the day :p Oh, nowadays when i have headaches, i apply medicated oil on my forehead. I do have anti-nausea medication (which can relieve headaches too) given by my gynae but he tells me to take those only when really necessary. So if it's bearable, i just try to tahan....zzzzz....

wow butterwaffles

ur reply is really a long one...haha :p

well...as for the deduction, i;m not too sure if it's deductin off fr the medical allowance...perhaps u can check with ur dept abt that...coz it's my frenz's hubby not mine...keke...only got to noe fr her is half half only...half her hubby pay half subsidize..hee [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

butterwaffles, ahaha....i know how you must have felt then..... i don have morning sickness...but i am super tired like 24-7 nowadays....and everyday i measure my temp and poke2 my boobs for pain..if yes..i feel a little better lor.... and when i had headaches usually il gulp panadol extra and rest...but at least ive cleared something in here thanks to you.... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

serlina, was feeling too bad from MS the past couple of days to hang around here, today feel abit better so i read through all the posts at one shot, keke. I've already checked with my HR, they say don't know because i'm going TPS, they are not sure about TPS, ask me to check myself. Best right? I guess i'll check with TPS themselves on my next visit.....

Back