(2009/07) July 2009 MTBs

lamagier,

If she wants a gynae who is nice and gentle, I recommend Dr Joycelyn Wong from ACJ, TMC. however, be prepared that the waiting time is long (super long on weekends)

Thanks mashy, beverly, bestberries & TJE.
I'll let her know and choose.

Bestberries,
Both your girls like to eat books?
haha, mine too. I bought so many books but she has no patience for them. After a few tries by me to stop her from eating or tearing the book, she'll lose interest and try to grab some other stuff.

bestberries, should just get the mini board book type. it comes with holes on every fruit. so cute.

OMG! I just received the 3 eric carle books that I ordered. SOOOOO CUTE! especially the Grouchy Lady bug, it has different page size and shape, so colorfull. Just saw in Bookabara @ Forum, exactly the same, it's $12.90. so mama21 is really cheap but it really a headache ordering from her...she supposed to refund me 2 books $ but only receive refund for 1 book liao. Btw, lamagier, thanks for arranging your col to drop it at my place. I thought I could go to her place and pick it up from her. so paiseh.

Today spent a bomb again at the booksales for some nice wooden puzzles (they're on 60% off, it's not the usual wooden puzzles, it got a few layers in a set, like 2D. and some more spot and thomas books. Bookabara at level2 Forum, next to Information counter have promo for Dr seuss books. It's $6 per piece. This book I think it's more for toddler la. Got to put nice plastic cover first to make it more lasting...
Gina, let me know what are the 5 titles that you have.

Gemini...if u happen to see this post, since you're jul09 mum also, give us more discount la! hehehe...all of us love to buy books!

lamagier
bon likes to eat books too =) come to think of it, there's nothing he doesn't put inside his mouth now, books, wipes, diaper, toys, remote ctrl, etc. i tried to read to him and timed, he sat still for barely 5min (10min on a good day), & will either eat the book or grab other stuff ...

this hungry caterpillar book looks v interesting, thks for the link

lamagier - yup every time i read sthg, even the mini board book, they think its food. i can only read 1 page of dr seuss at a time, cos they'll snatch away and snack on it

plastic cover got shart corner, will poke the eye. no ?

I support ETirto's comment to Gemini!! :p I will definitely buy from you if we get a nice discount! LOL!!!!!

coolkero,
I don't put any salt in the porridge...but I have to say that I usually don't put salt in my cooking. I don't think that they can take that much salt yet as their kidneys and all that are still developing. e.g. my PD told me to be very careful what kind of cheese I give Y so that they are not too salty.

Hi ladies

Long time no post on the thread but once i do get some time still read what u gals get up to.. alot of quality info i got frm here..
happy.gif

i have been sourcing for vitamins for gareth s i realise after off bm he seems to get sick easily. saw this rosehip syrup which is rich in vitamin C.. any advise frm mummies on this product? thanks

lamagier
tell u hor... i really give up on mama21 already. out of the 27 books i ordered, now she only says 11 are avail. the rest all oos. never seen such an disorganised seller before. forget abt cheap already. save me the hassle. *pissed*

yan
amanda's drinking that. but i stopped recently cos i got lazy and forgot abt it.

Yan,
Where did you see the rosehip syrup?

BbEthan,
Is it good?

japa,
At first she said cottage cheese (bec of low salt content), then the last time she said another kind of cheese, but I forgot what it was!! But not Laughing Cow as that has a lot of salt.

chiyojade
seriously i dun know. but since it's vit c, no harm. u can find it in all supermarkets and pharmacy. amanda's not drinking enuf water, so far that's the only way of tricking her into drinking.

thanks chiyojade, hmmm my nanny leaving in a few days time, i'll try without salt later, see if tomi can taste the difference...

bbethan and twinkle, have u tried the combi straw cup? my tomi last time dun like water, i tried a few type of cups, in the end he love this combi one and start to drink more.

etirto
it's US$7 for the board book right? Hb just asked me what to order this morning cos' he's buying something from amazon.. hehe.. perfect timing! anyone wanna tompang can let me know by this weekend..

tje
u forgot abt the table & chair hahaha.. she's a cutie lar.. stacia was very irritated wif her ignorance that she pulled JE's hair (oops sorry abt that) haha.. I think she must be thinking how come suddenly got one cuter baby with more hair & twist buns, standing & playing in her playmat but ignoring her while she asked for her help to stand up.. kakaka.. she's so excited to see JE but JE just boh chup.. & u know wat? after the cat fight, she cried in her dream last nite but after that KO til 8.30 this morning! haha
happy.gif

Linsu, for our baby stage. board board is better. more long lasting. I email you, ok.

TJE, y got no answer to your question le? btw, that's the magic kiss. about salt, may be the soy sauce contain more things inside, like preservative, etc.
eh btw, dr seuss contents is pratically nonsense! I don't like it. Even the pictures are not cute at all.Not sure why people (especially from US) like. Chiyojade, may be can tell me...

Linsu, correct, the link that you provided for caterpillar book is correct.board book. but mine I think it's the mini board book (smaller than the one shown).It's like HBB's the very busy spider-kind of size.

TJE
Elsa often has swim dates at her place and you almost always complained it is super far for you so you don't go and now you want potluck huh?? aiyoh...btw, how much are the five books I am getting from you? Remember to bring sunnies too! Also, austen also puts EVERYTHING in his mouth, he practically tasted every object in my house
sad.gif

Lamagier
I like my first gynae at Raffles Hospital - her name is Dr Karolyn Goh Wee Ching - hope your friend finds a nice gynae she is comfortable with and may she enjoys a smooth delivery.

Coolkero
No salt for my kid so far but I started him on snacks, bad habit but it does keeps him quiet when I placed him in the car seat. Sigh!

Minty-mom
Thanks for your offer to help, I am not sure I still want to order from mama21 as it is quite a hassle.

Linsu
I wanna amazon - I will also split shipping with you!!!

bbethan
Care to share wat good does tis rosehip syrup do? U put in milk or give it with water? Gareth totally rejects water!! unless i put in gripe water.. bad habit!!! thanks to my aunt.. haiz but cant say much as she is the main care taker n she is doin me a big fav takin care of gareth n im so so grateful to her for it. so i dont say much to wat she does.. but thankful she is not the type to give salt or adult food to gareth and quite receptive to the food i provide her for gareth.

chiyojade
i got the rosehip syrup from NTUC and saw that watsons have it too.. u have any idea wat good it does? I havent try it yet but jst bought it.

etirto

haha, i also didn't like Dr Suess Books until Green Eggs and Ham!
happy.gif

It uses a lot of invented words & species, i guess it's to promote creativity in a child? It helps to get the child to invent words and to have an imaginative mind in an imaginary world. Much like the fairy tales & Harry Potter i would say. The best part is the books are all in rhymes. When the kid is young, rhymes help them remember words better.

Also, many of the books have a theme to it. Like Fox in Socks is a tongue twister book, Green Eggs and Ham help encourage children to try new food, The Sneetches is about discrimination, Mr Brown can moo, can you? is about animal sounds.

Totally agree with mashy re learning points of Dr Seuss books. I actually like Dr Seuss very much. Hahahahahaha...The rhyming thing is a BIG thing for kids, esp at this age.

While I have Eric Carle's books, I find them better for kids who are older. Their stories are a bit too long for Y. e.g. Hungry Caterpillar is great for teaching Days of the week, colours, food and of course, the caterpillar which turns into a butterfly.
The other books are also OK. The Secret Birthday Message Book is good for prepositions of place - but that is also at a later age...My First Book of Words (not sure of the titles - they are in Y's room adn he is asleep) is also not bad, but also at an older age, where they learnt to match words to their objects. From Head to Toe is good for body parts, confidence building and getting the children to do the actions. Plus repeating the words "Can you do it?", "I can do it!" everytime, helps them to read those words.

Dr Seuss, on the other hand is fun, wacky and zany. I like them because I grew up with them and also because I love the way they talk "rubbish"!!! LOL!!! For me, I believe that they will have their whole life to be "serious".

I studied art psychology (long time ago) for young kids. The funny thing is that kids will paint whatever they want and they can paint things like purple trees and adults will eventually tell them that trees are green/brown; and they will change but acutally when you look at trees properly they have different shades of various colours (e.g. there are different kinds of reds - blue reds, yellow reds and orange reds) and that is actually how artists are "formed". They paint trees in various colours. ;-P

Another author I like is Sandra Boynton. Her books rhyme and are very easy and great to teach young kids how to read. Y loves her books.

I also like Walker Books - their stories usually have a very nice moral.

I have to say that I read everything to Y. When I feed him, I sometimes sit on the floor - he has an old fashioned kind of chair for babies which is for the floor and I sometimes read the newspapers in between spoonfuls. When he make too much noise, I just read aloud whatever I have been reading - "e.g. Oh dear...volcanic ash over Europe, flights are cancelled..." etc, etc.

While my husband and I are voracious readers, I hope that he will be one too but you never know, right?!?!

Chiyojade: Guess what one of Ally's favourite book is? "Your Personal Penguin" by Sandra Boynton. I love Dr Seuss, like you I grew up with him and have fond memories of my dad reading the stories to me before bedtime. We had a great time laughing at the silly rhymes and characters.

chiyojade
LOL
u know. my dh was tryign to talk mi out of buying dr seusse books cos he find them boring.. then he started questioning me like: u like huh?
I wasl ike..duhz... ok i nvr read his books before becos we r too poor when young to afford any and the onli books mum allow was text books LOl so i say i dun care im buying.. and that is aft i tot i onli wan to buy green egg n ham but OOS and i saw the 20 book set at the store.. n bought 20 books instead of 1!!! LOL

Chiyojade,
I would love that old fashion cane chair if I still had, it's so nostalgic seeing that chair cos I had pictures of myself in my family home celebrating my 1st birthday!

HBB,
is it a hardcover set? or paperback. I don't really mind if it's not board book, cos Seuss is more junior reader for most of the stories that rhyme. Been looking out for the set for a long time, but seems like got different box sets of Seuss out there when I saw it once at MPH.

Mama21 BP,
I felt kinda disappointed that upon picking up my books I only gotten 3 out of the 7 that I ordered and paid for. I don't mind having to go thru the refund process, but it's just disappointing to have so many titles OOS after confirmation.

Y was given that chair by friends who stay in JB.. BUT BUT BUT my friend saw it at Lavender area!!!!

Y had some friends over and they all kept playing with the chair. The mums said that it was because of the rattan - texture and they were runnign their fingers over it and "scratching it". The best thign is that it doubles as a stool! hehhehheh..

It's "not so good" now because he can get up on his knees whilst in it, but because he's quite greedy, I keep telling him, "Sit properly" before I feed him and so if he turns about and opens his mouth and expects me to feed him, I say "Sit properly" and he does and only then does the spoon go into his mouth. Ha! Mummy wins this one!

sam
HUH! aft u pay still will get OOS? she shld jus stop selling lar.. stupid leh
the ones i bought were hard cover set
is thr diff sets?i saw all same leh but i saw the popular title sin it so i jus grab.. oh i made the sales girl open up for mi to see the titles LOL

Haha, Yann's rattan chair very retro. I was actually saw an old fashion rattan shop near my place, thinking about going there to see what's available but never got around to it. Haha, should go check their opening hours

twinkle
ya... she's still rejecting water. drink like i'm torturing her. only willing to drink a bit after eating her puffs and in between her porridge. other times NO NO NO.

coolkero
i tried. she still doesn't know how to suck from it.

yan
i gave cos it's vit c and suitable for babies to drink. just add into water.
my mum keep nagging me to give gripe water. say it's good but i don't know what good it does except remove wind.

bbethan
ok.. thanks.. guess i will start givin him n see if he likes it.. yeah i oso feel its better than givin gripe water. i rather give him somethin wif vit c than simply gripe water which to me as u say only remove wind n nothin else. i dun rem if its u tats giving multi vits to bb.. im thinkin of givin multi vit in syrup form to gareth which vitakids have recommended this 1 n only type they have. let me know if its effective in ur instance. cheers

yan
yup... she was on multi vits before cos of her low weight gain. stopped giving her already cos she hates the taste and since she's already on solids, not so concerned anymore. but i hv start giving her Childlife's colostrum as she's no longer on bm and i'm planning to send her to cc once she's 18mths. need to boost her immunity now.

Where is the shop, lamagier? I have some chairs from the Philippines - whose seats are woven and they need to re-done so I want to know if they do that....if not, then I don't know what to do with them!

BTW, MR today quite "funny" - suddenly her battery just died...it has only happened to Y once like that before. ;-P

Retro chair
I saw it too, along a road in Joo Chiat. I was on a bus so I was not able to ask how much and so on.

Brewer Yeast: HBB
Can get from GNC: http://www.gnc.com.sg/product/00101800.aspx?category_id=781364D8-3FCF-4DF5-BC74-456CE74C7A81

Yan/Bbethan
Is your rosehip syrup Delrosa brand? I think I drank that while I was preggy. Very sweet!

Books
I love reading too and I remember as a child, I will go to the library without fail every single Saturday. I will also scrimp and save so I can spend them all on books. I don't recalled my folks reading to me though - Jillian, I am so envious. I love enid blyton, roald dahl, judy blume, etc. Okay I know those are for older kids but I seriously cannot remember any earlier
happy.gif

Linsu
Will email you tomorrow - thanks!!

foz/chiyojade
yes i saw e ratten chair at joochiat also....

foz
realy huh?thanx...heard it taste yucks bt wanna let edna try...been readin super baby food so gg to make edna some super baby porridge see she become super gal anot LOL

bbethan
where u get the childlife colostrum? Gd? i oso sending gareth to CC at 18mths.. give me some advice.. thankies..
happy.gif

FOZ
ya its the delrosa brand.. very sweet i tasted it too.. but i mix 2 teaspoon wif 6oz of water b4 giving him so not tat bad.. cant take it on its own.. no choice la coz he simply reject water since infant.. n as bbethan says better than givin gripe water which i agree..

yan
can get from gnc locally but very ex. i normally order from overseas bp. i think from iherbs they hv. normally order from Tan Leng Leng. so far, i find it good on my boy.

foz
yup... delrosa brand. i only add in 1 teaspoon.

coolkero
I give snacks such as Pigeon's Baby biscuits with spinach (from 9 months), Baby Bites (chicken with vegetable OR Carrot flavour, from 6 months), Happy Baby Organic puffs, Organix Baby Biscuits Stage 2 (from 7 months). Too many, I know!

Bbethan/Yan
Did you guys drink delrosa rose syrup too when you are pregnant? I bought it at a baby fair, paid $9 for a bottle, min. 2 bottles. Is this what you guys pay too?

HBB
You are super on, let me know when you make a batch and I shall invite myself over with austen to sample the brewer yeast porridge!
happy.gif

poohbear
its abt $85+ for set of 20. its hard cover n smaller in size ;)

foz
im desperate to make Edna healthy food! lol
sure! aft I experiment it I get austen over n eat too!!!

foz
i paid 8.55 at NTUC.. nev drank it wen i was preg coz i was jst downing Anmum thru out! dun knw how i do it but i polish like 10tins of Anmum!! hahhahha..

bbethan
oh ya i saw today at gnc its like almst 80 bucks! how much do u pay for online?

Back