2008 P1 Registration

whitelotus17

I intend to pick the school nearest to my house & worry about ECAs later. Just ask my girl to pick whatever is available in her school

Settle logistic first. Distance is my number 1 consideration

hippo2002
You started this thread. Ha ha now making me worried when I stay CCK and I am sending my gal to Nanyang in Farrer. headache headache

Dear Mummies,
I agree with Alysha that distance is very important. Must also consider that in future the kids will have CCA and by the time they finish and travel home will be quite long hours. I think the schools in Spore are more or less, in terms of education system, are the same so not to worry too much.

I'm staying in Sengkang but send my girl to CHIJ-OLN which is within 2km (i think). We wanted to opt for Rivervale Primary, or other neighbourhood schools, but worried about the balloting thing and dunno what are our chances. Then a friend told us that for Catholics, go to any catholic school and can get a place immediately. So that's why we went to CHIJ-OLN.

Alysha,
My girl is in CHIJ OLN P1. She goes to school by bus 2-way. The school only has one bus operator so VERY reliable. Good choice of school if you are considering it.

Cecelia,
Is your home in Sengkang nearer to Rivervale or Compassvale Pri school? Rivervale is a very popular school and every year sure kena balloting. They are popular cos they have some kind of overseas student exchange program and other activities.

BM
ya lor thanks to my papa and mama who registered me there plus me tiger year one less baby less competition. They were preparing for my sister who is in dragon year lah.

Me used to stay Farrer when young, good mah rain too heavy difficult to go to school so last time I quite like.

That day went by to see the school so different. building that everyday we slog to get donation during holiday and I never get to use.

Ya I have that advantage but xian man, my gal super lazy I dunno if she ever make it in there

chicken little

Get in first. Let her try out
Really stressed then do a transfer. I think should be easier to transfer into an average school versus a branded school?

Although logistic is a real issue leh

Hippo2002

Everyone oso tell me that. Then my fren tell me first year no exam how to gauge. Later pri 2 hor got exam they sure very xiong

Lucky I still have my mum staying at commonwealth so by bus should not be too far

Mama to 5J

Its the traffic very heavy in the morning? Coming back to home - your kids take the school bus?
Do your kids have any ECA? If yes, coming back very late? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Thank you

Hi Mummies,

I'm at simei and the only school available is Changkat which everyone says it's a lousy school...What's your comment? Schools like St Hildas my gal wont be able to get it cos it's so popular!

Actually thinking of enrolling my gal to Temasek Pri using my mum's address. My mum will be within 1km...but i'm wondering will they take my mum's address into consideration since we're not staying there?

hi Sleepy Garfield, can use your mom's address for registration as long as you say that your child is cared for by your mmom at her address. but she will fall within the 2km range if it comes to balloting. ie. grandparents within 1 km will be balloted together with parents within 2 km.

SleepyGarfield

Temasek is hot! phrase 2C ballot within 1km the last few years
outside 1km won't even get a chance to ballot

How about St Anthony? girls school. No competition from boys for registration
wink.gif

Need to call them up to check statistics. I only remember within 1km no need to ballot

Hi mummies

I'm new to this forum thingy but has been reading up on a few threads as I find the information shared here is very helpful.

I also have a girl due for P1 registration this year. I stay at Pasir Ris and recently found out that Poi Ching is within 2 km of my house. Does anyone has any experience with that school? I actually enquired at the school and one of the pple there I spoke to told me within 2 km quite good chance to get in but not sure if balloting is required.

My other choices which are all within 1 km will be Elias Park, Park View and Meridien Primary. Not sure if any parents can share with me their views about all these schools?

Hi Pressuredkid,

Poi ching is a good school!

Hippo,

I called up temasek and was told if i volunteer & stay within 2km, good chance...so i guess got to do some volunteering work...but volunteer work only available on weekdays!

Samval,
This is oso what i heard from my neighbours whose kids attending Rivervale PS at the moment.

Sharon,
Now i understand why u are considering Cath in Bishan. I wrote to principal of Rivervale and Compassvale asking whether they have open house and they replied that if i intend to browse their school or have a look can always call their principal and make appt with them.

So now I know that I am not the only gan jiong spider mother. I have a girl due to register for P1 this year and a boy next year as both of them are only 1 year apart. I am also struggling in making decision about schools.

I was previously from St Nicholas' Girls. Thinking of placing my girl there as I like the character building and academic achievements of St Nic. Moreover she will be in phase 2A2. Quite secured that she will get in. Problem is that St Nic is in Ang Mo Kio but I stay in Kallang. Previously St Nic was afflicted with Cath High. Once my girl is enrolled in St Nic, I will not need to worry about my boy. But I have just confirmed with St Nic that they are no more afflicted. So I charm alrdy.

Now I am still considering about the distance problem. Should I consider about enrolling my girl in schools in the east like St Hildas or Paya Lebar Methodist or Haig Girls? Anyone know more about the character building and academic of these schools? Anyone has any suggestion?

I am not staying near to any of these east school so I will definitly fall in phase 2c which will have balloting. Really headache. When I plan for my girl now, I need to consider for my boy next year too.

Hi SleepyGarfield

Thanks for the feedback. I heard varying versions though. I know Poi Ching used to be a good school some years back but there're pple who told me their standard has dropped. They are a SAP school though, so that's the attraction but they don't seem to be very popular, in that when I checked with my SIL who teaches chinese, she didn't even know they are a SAP school.

It's the same with Elias Park. I was told that they were very good some 6 years back when my nephew was registering for P1 but now also heard their standard dropped.

Very headache leh and I have a grown up niece who told me all primary schools are the same, why so gan cheong for what! Haiz...

Hi PressuredKid

Same here, big head right. I'm also staying in Pasir Ris near to White Sand SC. The nearest schools is Coral & Loyang (within 1Km).

Now thinking of try a bit further which is White Sand PS and GongShan PS. Have you heard any comment on these few schools? Also tot of Poi Ching, but being a SAP school, worry my boy can't catch up.

Some parents told me primary education is the foundation for a child, if they are given a good environment to study, they will be motivated. Could this be true?

SleepyGarfield

your girl is not 2002 kid? then still got time to volunteer.

enjie

St Hilda's in Tampines? The top PSLE scholar graduated from there last year. Lagi hot!
I called a few years ago & was told even PVs need to ballot unless within 1 km

Samval
Thanks for the info.So wat do you think of my chances to get in CHIJ OLN? Haha, after reading all this thread, I'm still so confused!I am within 2km,afraid still must ballot. If not, schs like Rivervale Pri also must ballot, I think. But for Rivervale Pri, I'm within 1 km.

Sleepy Garfield
I remembered some time ago, my cousin wanted to enrol her son in Temasek, they said must be within the 2 km radius. In the end, they settled for neighbourhood sch near their home in Bedok Reservoir. However, my cousin wasnt happy with the neighbourhood sch and in the end ended up calling Temasek every month to ask if there are vacancies. Finally, in Sep they got a place and called her. You can imagine the joy they brought her, lol! She was in the midst of shifting to the point block opp the sch, too!...Thank God the sch called her in time! See the things parents have to do just to get their child into a good sch?...haha.
Today, all 3 kids of hers are in Temasek. She always has good things to say about the sch, no regrets going thru all the trouble.

Hi Mommies,

My ds also going to P1 next year yet I still can't decide which school. Can mommies here let me know how you prioritise based on:-
Distance, Session(am/pm)?

Also, anyone can recommend me good student care in Tampines?

Thanks!

Hi Hippo

Mine is 2003, must register for volunteer work by end of June, but currently they oredi have 80 volunteers to fight for 2010 intake!

Alysha,

1km or 2km also must ballot, but if volunteer plus 2km, then will fall under phase 2b instead of 2c.

Die die also get my hubby to volunteer.

whitelotus17

In my personal opinion, I'd think that both White Sand PS and GongShan PS will be better than Coral and Loyang. Did you not consider Elias Park?

It's the same for me, the 2 schools nearest to my place will be Meridien and Park View, so if I'm left with no choice, I'll choose Park View over Meridien as my nephew was from Meridien and I do not have very impressions about that school. One example is that his teacher was on maternity leave in the first quarter when he was in P6 and guess what, during that few months, he had a few relief teachers for that subject. I think the school should better plan that teachers going on maternity should not be given P6 classes since that is the PSLE year. Well, that may change now as I heard they have new principal and VP this year.

juzme
i send n pick the boys myself. yes traffic is busy in the morn but not as bad as u think la. u just imagine the whole st andrew village is there - junior, sec n jc. how to expect a smooth morn traffic hehe.. but still manageable la. my boys reach sch gate at 7.05am. usually jam for abt 2-5 mins only.

no cca yet (start from p3) although they can join hockey at p1. my boys not interested. they only want to join rugby!

hi Mummies

I am also having a headache in choosing school for my girl. Staying in Bukit Batok Central.

Nearest school is princess elizabeth- will be still subject to balloting within 1km based on last year results.

St Margaret- will be under 2b hence getting there is okay Have checked with the bus company the pick up around 6.20AM is very early.

Thinking of putting her in the St Margaret student care run by YMCA. Have checked with the student care, lower primary students will have nap in the afternoon after lunch. Thereafter supervision of homework. The school bus will pick them up either at 4.30pm or 6pm. Good that I will not have to worry about her extra activities in future.

Hi Sleepy Garfield , already have 80 volunteers then those within 1km will have to ballot .. think u better consider others as back up .

sigh....even parent volunteers also not guaranteed nowsaday for popular schools

SleepyGarfield
PVs within 1km will have priority over you. They go by distance. within 1m, 1-2km, outside 2km

a friend just told me her friend's daughter didnt manage to get into st hilda's even though she stays just opp the school! thats how hot that school is and i shld be considered blessed right cos im an old gal and my kids have a guaranteed place there but yet i itchy backside wanna put my gal in a gals school instead. thinking of MGS. any idea what r the chances of her gettg in if we stay within 2 km>?

Enjie, u mentioned St Nics and CatHigh...u stay in east? Bet u got similar dilemma as me. I can send boy to CatHigh but have another round of worry for my daughter eventually (though I got few more years) to worry. Originally tot they affilated so probably she can get a chance 2 go there but since u confirm they dun, looks like I will end up kan cheong again in 3-5 yrs time. My girl is 1 yr old now. Btw, u got any feedback abt CatHigh or St Nics? Also, any mothers here have any comments abt Nan Chiau?

To mama to 5Js, MGS is probably out if you stay within 1-2km of the school. I am within 1km, and I understood that there will most likely be balloting within 1km!

Can anyone, tell me if White Sand PS and Gongshan PS need balloting if still within the 2km!

bern
where r u staying? ur info is accurate? u know what? my frd called up the school n they openly and outrightly told her that the school needs donation when my frd asked how to guarantee a place in the school for her daughter!

Hi whitelotus17
I heard white sand need to ballot even if it's within 1 km, not sure about gongshan.

I've checked with my niece who has a friend tutoring someone from coral pri and tell me that the school is not bad also.

Hi, anybody know about St.Andrew? If PV and stay near the school, what is the chances of getting in this school?

wow. didn't expect to see this thread so early!
happy.gif

i have a girl who will be registering for P1 this yr too!

didn't go thru all the posts but seems like only CL and me staying in CCK. Many of the rest are staying in the east.

will be registering for Pei Hwa in upper bt timah under phase 2B. i'm a church member afflicated to the school. however, we are many many km away from the school.
happy.gif

FYI, any parents staying in Sengkang like myself and trying for Nan Chiau Primary, I found this link about balloting for its school. Basically it saves parents time to call school to ask need to ballot or not. Apparently for within 1 KM, every year also got ballot. But not all schools provide such info on their website.

http://schools.moe.edu.sg/ncps/Admin/P1%20registration%20exercise.htm

For those who have asked whether need ballot or not, best you can call the school and ask whether for past few years, what are the chances of balloting and within how many km.

After going thru the 2 school sites, I personally have made the decision that I'll send my son to Catholic High cos' they have a lot of interesting programs. Also no need to worry whether ballot will kena or not.

Hi mummies,

Glad to see this thread! Me too having headache cos my boy is gng to Pri 1 next yr. Anyone know if Geylang Methodist is good? need balloting?

thanks PressuredKid

now chiam lah! whitesand is still nearer to me than gongshang, chances so slim now. i knew that coral has a new principal, but still need time to tell if the structure will change leh.

Anyone wif kids in loyang ps, just curious, does the school function only in one session, saw it on the MOE website leh, http://www.moe.gov.sg/esp/policies/singlesession.htm

gonggong
my boys r in st andrew. i applied under phase 2a(1) if im not wrong (under alumni). but im not sure the chances of PV though.

Samval

May I know what the timing is like for your girl's school - single session?...And wat time does the bus pick & send....thought it'll be a good guideline for me since we both live in Seng Kang.

Thanks!

hi mama to 5Js,
i am staying within 1km of MGS. in fact, i just called the school and they told me last year was the first year they had to ballot in P2C within 1km. They do not "sell" places to the school.

H Hippo & all

My girl also going to P1 next year. I am going for Red Swastika cos is my old school. I stay at Tampines.

Hi CL & Hwee - we "talked" before in the Baking Forum (Pink)
happy.gif

hi hi sngiam

Hee hee oso siong hor. Ha ha next time we dun need to go buy exam paper. We shall do a swap here. Lets form a group if we have 10 here, i will print for nanyang

HI mummies,

Im staying in pasir ris,would like to enroll my gal in either Temasek or red swastika,both sch needs PV..Am thinking will it be troublesome and worthwhile to go through the trouble for PV? As i understand we need to apply leave during weekday to help out in volunteer..As for the children,will it be pityful for them as they have to wake up early for the sch bus...

Any comments on that?As I understand that there isnt any good sch near my vincinity except for Pasir ris pri whc requires PV.

Does good sch really makes a difference?Any "real life"example?

HI mummies,

Im staying in pasir ris,would like to enroll my gal in either Temasek or red swastika,both sch needs PV..Am thinking will it be troublesome and worthwhile to go through the trouble for PV? As i understand we need to apply leave during weekday to help out in volunteer..As for the children,will it be pityful for them as they have to wake up early for the sch bus...

Any comments on that?As I understand that there isnt any good sch near my vincinity except for Pasir ris pri whc requires PV.

Does good sch really makes a difference?Any "real life"example?

hi sngiam and CL
ya, we can form a group a do a swap instead of buying those exam papers. hee hee....

hey, pink also has a 2002 boy. we sure have many selection of schools here.
happy.gif

Hello to all

My girl going to P1 next year. Currently, working hard towards 40 hours of PV at Northland Pri(Yishun).

Back