2008 P1 Registration

hippo2002

starting a new thread for mommies to share & exchange info on this year P1 registration
happy.gif

hi,
my son is now studying at Woodgrove Pri sch. Anyone?

Hippo2002,
Is your son in afternoon session? My son's class ends at 6.25pm and reach home abt 7.05pm via sch bus. I feel it's abit late for them. I think usually the afternoon session ends ard 6pm. Too bad mine is so late.

batman

I will be registering my girl this year for P1 in 2009

I thought most schools pm session ends around 6:25pm?

I prefer school within walking distance, don't really like school bus because they circle the estate. my girl used to take school bus when she was in childcare. 8 minutes drive home became 40 minutes

hippo2002,

the only school within walking distance to my place is a girls school. got 2 boys...so no choice. think if afternoon session need to squeeze with commuters on the bus. haiz.

any idea which month will the registration be? i only recollect that it is mid year. thinking of planning for vacation leh.

hihi hippo
my son will be registering for P1 this year too. He's born in dec 2002.

Where you staying? I staying Hougang and aiming for Holy Innocent which is a definite balloting.

bbash

I live in Bedok. There are many good schools in Bedok, spoilt for choice
wink.gif

The top 3 popular ones are Temasek, Red Swastika & Yu Neng. Ballot within 1 km every year during phrase 2C
I like St Hilda's too but I'm outside 1 km

my friend's daughter in Holy Innocent. She's an old girl, so her daughter has priority

Hi hippo/fz, from the MOE Primary sch guide which I just received from kids' school - Registration to P1 is usually carried out from July to Aug every year. The exercise usually starts in early July for Phase 1 ending in late Aug for Phase 3. You will receive the "P1 Registration Exercise" from your child's preschool by May, detailing the dates of the registration exercise.

Hi Hippo/Batman,
Sorry to jump in. My son is in P2 and in afternoon session. Session ends at 630pm and reaches home at 645pm as we stay within walking distance to the school. Next yr onwards, he will be in morning session, which ends at 130pm.

Hi Batman

I intend to register my boy at Woodgrove Pri this year for P1 in 2009.

Is Woodgrove good? I heard the lower primary are in the afternoon session?

mummies,

if i am staying at my ILs' place in the east, and i enrol my boy there, am i eligible for sch within 1km, or i am only eligible under the sch btwn 1-2 km catogory (for parents applying through caregiver's address)?

Hi fz, if you are staying at IL place and your IC shows IL address, then you are considered in the 1km priority. If not staying at IL then you will be with the 2km group even though IL add is within 1km.

My is only within short distance but for convenient, i let her take school bus. My bus fare is $45, to be increase to $48.

Hi, anyone gonna register at CHIJ OLN for 2009? I fall under Phase 2C,within 2km, didnt do PV. Dunno what my chances are....afraid unsuccessful. Care to share?

Hi Alysha ,

last year balloting was for 1-2km so since u within 2km maybe still got chance to ballot .. have to depend on the this year intake and no. of applicants in the earlier phase ...

Very scary, the balloting part.If I dont get in, MOE will then put me in the school near my home with vacancies, right? Another silly question - Phase 2C no need to wait outside the gate the prev night, right?I even called MOE about this but they cannot give me a straightforward answer
happy.gif

Alysha,
if i am correct, if not successful in balloting in Phase 2C, will have to register under phase 2C supplementary for remaining schools with vacancies. if unable to get in due to lack of vacancies or unsuccessful in balloting, then MOE will post to nearest school with vacancies.

phase 2C no need to queue to register. usually for queuing, it is applicable for 'walk-in' registration for foreigners who is vying for the remaining seatings in phase 2c supplementary - sg citizens will be given priority. hope i am correct.

HI Mummies,

Just would like your views on the school.

I am having a headache in choosing school for my son.

St Hilda - will be under phase 2B but outside 2Km means subject to balloting.

St Andrew - Daddy is ex-student hence getting there is okay BUT school bus comes at 5.45AM to pick up my boy (1st to pick up and last to come home). 5.45AM is really very early.

How? which school? Is distance really a concern?

Thanks

juz_me,

Tell me bout the headaches...am still having it (with regards to the P1 registration)

Firstly, yup...I feel that distance does matter. My cousin lives in Tampines and her son's school is Tanjong Katong Pri. The child travels quite a distance everyday as you can see
happy.gif

It is actually exhausting for her son, now her daughter is in the same school (P2). Due to extra classes, the son now takes public transport and daughter takes school bus. I dont think we should "stress" the child up with distance, these days. They're already packed up with homework & extra classes...the least we could do is let them sleep a little longer, enough to feel "ok" for the rest of the day
happy.gif

Just my 2-cents worth...hope you'll consider...I feel that 5.45am pick-up is ridiculous. Even I don't get up that early...lol.

Hi Mommies...

With regards to "distance"...anyone stayin at sengkang area sending to CHIJ OLN?...Jus wondering how "early" pick up is for school transport. I do not drive everyday.
happy.gif

Thanks all for your sharing

Haiz! we prefer to send him to a mission school. I know its really no joke of taking school bus at 5.45am!

But St Hilda is so popular and we may or maynot able to get in due to balloting. If can't get in, there will be real headache...

Juz me,
ever thought of renting out your current place and renting a place near St Andrew's?Some of my frens are doing that to minimise their kid's travelling time.

juz me
happen to read this thread. where do u stay? my boys r in P1 in st andrews. hubby is old boy. im stayg in fort road area. initially wanted to put them on the sch bus, but when i heard they r coming to fetch my kids at 5.50am i nearly fainted and they will reach home close to 3pm when the sch dismiss at 1.30pm. reason being, they need to wait for all the kids to board the bus and they will only leave the sch at 1.45pm. i dun think i wanna subject my boys to such stress of waking up so early so i decided to send them. extra stress for me but i feel its worth it cos its bonding time during the journey when they will tell me abt school etc... as such, we leave the hse at 6.50am and reach sch latest 7.05am. they reach home abt 2pm. its really time wasted on the bus i feel.

as to why the pick up is so early, cos the buses r v kiasu. they usually reach sch abt 6.45am to 6.50am (not all the buses but most of them) cos if they reach school late they will have difficulty parking as the sch compound will be v packed with cars by then.

i was a st hilda's old gal but chose to send my boys to st andrew cos i know they will enjoy better in boys school. and seriously, i find st hilda's too stressful the way they push the kids. just my opinion.

Hi Mama to 5Js

Thanks for your reply.

I am staying in Bedok. I have 2 boys, hence, the decision I made is pretty "impt" as it will affect 2. I am working mother hence, I may able to ask my hubby to send him to school in the morning but coming back may have to take school bus.

Checked out - if one takes school bus one way, the school bus fee is probably $10.00 cheaper as they need to cater for a "space" for your child....

So far, how are your boys coping in St Andrew? Are your boys the "tough" type... my elder one recently becoming quite "sensitive".... wonder will he be "bully" in school by the tougher boys?

I was thinking whether can charter a mini bus to cater for boys around our area? Don't mind paying abit more....

Hi Kimberly
Currently staying with my MIL, still need her help to take care of my 2 kiddos..

jusme
i will also be moving to bedok area (kew area) in aug. which part of bedok u stayg?

yes, even if u take one day, the bus fare not much diff. i checked out one way is 82 but both ways is only 90.

boys r doing ok in SA. in fact they r enjoying school. the principal is v v nice. my boys r big size. its inevitable that being in a boys school they tend to get rough but ultimately whether they enjoy school is v impt.

ur idea is v good! do u have any lobangs? i dun mind joining if timing suits me.

Hi Alysha
I haven't thought about which sch to register my girl... but my preference would be a girls' sch and also mission sch.
Unfortunately, the girls' sch in my area all require some balloting in various phases.
What about you? Have you decided which sch for your child?

Hi Bern,

You'd better start thinking,dear.Am eligible for Phase 1 at my son's sch that is just opp our home. However, as my boy will be in P6 in 2009, I thought why not let her go to a girl's sch that is within 2km.Sure need to go through balloting!

Mama to 5J

I am staying Bedok North Ave 1. Hee... my boys are on the small size... hoping that he will grow taller and bigger.....

RE: Bus - no lobang.. looking around...pls also let me know if you happen to know...

I've a similar situation as Juzme. I stay in SengKang and Nan Chiau is within 1 km for me. But hubby from Catholic High, so definitely can get in under Phase 2B. If go for Nan Chiau, sure got ballot and the neighbourhood got so many young parents of kids around my boy's age...

Only thing is to consider distance to Cat High which is in Bishan for me. Buying a flat in Bishan is too much a price for me. Only worried about travelling. Haven't survey the bus service from school yet. I drive, so probably can send him there, only problem is to bring him home.
Any opinions from fellow parents?

Juz read this thread, so relief to know i'm not the only kancheong spider.

My boy will be doing P1 registration this year for P1 in 2009. So confuse don't know where to start and how to plan for it?

He's a pre-matured kid trying hard to catch up wif the pace of our education system here. And he can be quite difficult to handle at times.

I staying in Pasir Ris, the 2 nearest neighbourhood schools is Coral PS and Loyang PS, can anyone tell me which is a better school? (Considering his conditons.) Don't dare to opt for any volunteering work in slighly better school (White Sands PS and Gongshan PS), knowing that he might have a hard time catching up.

Another worry up my mind is, have to look for a school which is quite all-rounder wif a good selection of both academic and sports and some school are too diverse to choose from. Have to consider for my younger daughter (who is slightly brighter) admission later.

I'm so CONFUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

juzme
my hubby said its not a good idea to get buses from outside n i agree after consideration. i rem the principal told us that if our kids dun take the school buses stipulated by the school, they will not be responsible shle any prob occurs. so i think that option is out. actually from ur place to sch is v near by car. less than 20 mins by PIE.

whitelotus17

you can surf the school's website to find out what are ECAs available

Not necessary to send both kids to same school. you can still volunteer for your girl at least one year before her P1 registration.

Dear mummies,
My boy will be doing his P1 in 2009. Staying in Sengkang. Will either opt for Rivervale PS or Compassvale PS (can anyone tell me which one is good). I havent have a chance to browse both school till now....

Sharon,
Since u are staying at sengkang and ur son can get into Nan Chiau, why bother move house?

Well, can call me KS or what. In fact I stayed within 1 km and was told from my neighbour that even 1km also got ballot. why I'm considering CatHigh is also because its a mission school.

see, if I enroll my son to CatHigh, sure can get in under 2A2 (correction to the above). But if I go for Nan Chiau, if ballot never get...dunno where he would land. Besides I never do any PV or join clan...

Few things running through my mind. Distance and character building. So far my impression of CatHigh is a good school for boys character development. Nan Chiau gives me an impression it is academically good, not so sure about other aspects....

Any idea Primary schools got open house for parents to visit and learn more about school than just visiting websites? Perhaps get more opinion from parents whose kids are in those schools would be better.

Hi mothers

I'm new in this forum. My name is Kaye and my son in primary 1 this year...and i looking for female tutor staying arnd clementi area who teach english/maths and hanyu pinyin on every tues and thurs starting from 8pm-9.30pm and my budget arnd $15-$18 per lesson. Anyone recomm?

Thanks

thanks hippo2002,

i've been doing the surf lately, as usual it will only make u compare even more. And the kiasu-ness will kick in, wonder if this is normal for a typical s'porean mom!!!!!!!!!!

Sending both kids to the same school will be more convenient then them going to different school (their age gap being only 3yrs). From what i gather, my boy is very hands on the computer gaming and car, so he should be the more technically incline, whereas my girl would prefer to flip books and scribbles everywhere she is also into music-related topics.

So some school has robotics or science related subjects and some have performaning arts..... so? ....to select a school for both of them is quite a headaches. As my hubby put it "When the boats reach the bridge, it will be straight" Ha Ha Ha... (Men always no worries!)

Some moms also send their kids to music; swimming; phoenics... thinking should i too?

I do share the same tots as Sharon about having some mummies to feedback on some of the schools their kids have attended, sometimes u just need a little bit more advices, rather then forcing our likings on to the kids.

Back