(2008/12) December 2008 MTBs

Wah, so many babies going for class liao. me still Tu-ing... Cos JG diff to get class... I heard GUG is overated? oh well...

Hi, sorry to interrupt...

Anyone interested? Please contact me at [email protected] for more information and pictures of the kit.

Includes:
• 30 Silky Eyeshadows
• 5 Lip Glosses
• 5 Perfect Lipsticks
• 4 Blushes
• Luminous Powder
• Translucent Powder
• Bronzer
• Mascara
• Lip Liner
• Eye Liner
• 5 brushes

Get yours now!

Perfect for travel or gift giving.

summer's mommy,
The current fee after subsidy is $620 but we get a 10% discount for 6 mths as we are within the 1st 20 to enrol in their centre. We almost sign him under Pat's at the arena but after comparing the 2 facilities, we unanimously chose Cherie Hearts.

You know I'm so comforted by their kind gesture. As Bryan is the only kid in the school now as one will start tmr and the others in a mth's time, the centre Director actually brought her nephew 2.5yrs old to come and accompany Bryan. He cried this morning when we left him there but the moment he sees the little boy, he perked up and even finshed his meals. No words can descrbe my feelings now... just a whole lot of peace.

Bryan was really sticky to me lately and same thing goes for zzz time. He wants me to put him to bed and will find excuses like "daddy i want to poo poo" to get out of the room and find me. (i'm having a bad flu so I isolate myself in our current spare room).

I think you should observer how Summer relates with the other children during her play group time. If she is ok with playing with new kids etc, then you dun hv to worry much. She will probably cry and cling but she will survive. If she is mostly uncomfortable in play group and gets really clingy unless you're there all the time, then you may want to start putting her for those 2-3 hrs session and get daddy or grandma to go with her instead. Let her have as much contact with kids now so that she won't be overwhelmed with so many kids suddenly.

Also, do let her feed herself and ignore the mess. This will train her and get her ready for self feeding at the centre. We realised that Bryan feed better using his left hand but will draw with his right. So, if you find that Summer is not comfortable or holding the spoon in funny position, do try switching hands and see which hand she finds it easier.

emma's been very difficult lately, throwing alot of tantrums...

she will fling herself onto the floor and cry...if she doesnt get what she wants....

she will also refuse to wash her backside, take a shower, wear her clothes etc, i have to grab her and carry her ..........basically, she has a mind of her own now and most of the time, she doesnt want to do what we tell her....

is this the start of the terrible 2??????

anyone has any suggestions on what to do?

Tara, Its not just Emma, but Ashlynne too.I think their T2 are starting...

Ashlynne has her mood swing always.. throw lots of tantrums.. get angry if her ways are not given or followed. Same, she just lie down on floor and cry... cry so hard until someone console her.

Lately she dun wan her high chair. she will scream and struggle when we put her in. Its not her.. she usually welcome high chair.

Not just this, recently she wanna choose her own clothing and i have to coax her to wear clothing to show her cartoons on it and how pretty the clothing it.. But never works 100% as she will not want to wear her clothes and cry if i force it on her.

Yes, own set of mind... very notti.. Angry.. throw things... recently she will hit me.. mummy kenna slapped by her a few times already.. super pissed.

Same, dun know what to do with her.. how to teach??

Tara u r not alone.
Summer does it too! She would grab her shoes n stand at the gate.. Waiting to be brought downstairs to the playground. If it doesn't happen, she'll sit there n cry n wail so loudly tat ah Ma will come to her rescue! *faints*

I guess this the beginning of terrible twos nitemare!!

Adel,
thks for the tips. I went to my co cc tochk agn today. They r currently having a playgroup of 18 kids with 2-3 teachers. Quite a no is graduating to the next level which is N1 in a few mths time. I hope the teachers are able to cope. It's seems like pretty tough to me. The principle sense my anxiety n ask me to relax. I had a talk w 1 of the teacher n find her pretty caring n nice. She ask to relax cos our kids can sense our anxiety n thus they r also unsecured.

GUG: Yup, can testify to the poor customer service. But the teachers are not bad, and the classes are quite good. Am trying our Learning Kidz at AMK hub next week.

CC: We just fired our maid for using hot water on David, and are now considering CC for David. My major major worry about putting David in CC is his inability to self-feed. Thank LuthAdel for your advice on the feeding portion... I hope we can find a right CC for David if we decide on that option...

Jo, u din beat Ash for slapping u? Cannot let them get away thinking it's ok to slap ppl.
Zach at times will kick us when he's lying down esp his daddy so I'll 'tiak' his feet n say cannot kick. Kick again n I'll 'tiak' ur feet. So now if he does it again I'll show him my hand he'll back off. He kinda noe I'll not let him have his way all the time.
Of course he's oso very hyper. Alice can vouch tat cos she saw how he behaves.. Non-stop.. Either the hand or the feet must be moving. Haha.. He cries like he hurt himself if we stop him fr playing iPhone but he get more scolding fr me tat way.

Talking about the terrible 2s, I am seeing the head of it too!

N also tried the sprawling on the floor and wailing several times. But she got the same treatment from me and hb which is we just walk off and leave her wailing on the floor. She soon came to realise tat it does not work n we are not giving in so she gave up doing tat. Remember that everyone including caretakers have to be consistent in their reaction to the child's tantrums.

Recently, she is trying new ways by screaming in a very high pitch n loud voice or crying "NAI NAI" or just crying non stop. Similarly, we will ignore her if she screams or cry. if she continues, we will firmly ask her what she wants and continue to tell her that "No she will not get back the thing/do the thing." As for the Nai nai part, she got the habit cos my MIL gives in to her wimps and fancies when she screams "nai nai!"...
sad.gif
We are kicking the habit by asking her "Where is Nai nai? What is it tat you wan?", then she will give us a blank look cos she realise the thing she wants is not Nai nai. ;p

Xuelyn,
I feel that Ah ma has to tie up with parents for this type of thing. If u choose to ignore her and ah ma comes to rescue, the child will learn tat as long as she crys, someone will come anyway.
happy.gif

My ger sometimes will oso cry cos she wants to go to my neighbour's house to play with the boy's toys, then I will tell her "No, we are not going there. Come here, let's do this!". She'll stop crying and come over.
happy.gif
So just distract her with another activity, maybe summer is bored?

Totally agree with Zachmummy abt the slap or beat pple part. Tat time my ger beat me or maybe cos her hands near me when she was throwing tantrum, I slap her back. She cry lor but aft tat she dare not liao.

But sometimes, if she was playful trying to sayang me but use too much strength, I will tell her sayang is soft soft one, then I will demo, so she knows... Eh must teach her to sayang lar... ;p

Snowger & Zachmommy, i agree. Preston starts pinching people FOR FUN nowadays and he tried to do that to me a few days ago. I PINCHED HIM BACK and asked, "Is it painful?" He nodded his head and then i explained that it's painful to mommy when he pinches me too.

So far no more pinching. Hopefully will lasts. Aiyo!

Spaghetti: Preston will be starting N1 class next year at AMK Hub Learning Edukidz! His daddy decided not to place him in LV (Grassroots Club) anymore cos he can't bear to let him take school bus. :p

zachmommy: actually zach not that bad la.. got abit more active when he was restless, but he was such a good boy and sat in the chair nicely for a long time! I think boys naturally have more energy and more active lor.. and of cos, crave more physical activities
happy.gif

Guess most kiddos are reaching the 2yrs soon and yes, the beginning of the 'terrible 2s'. i heard this stage can last a while.. Sometimes its worth to see what the tantrum is abt. Most time is the kiddos inability to deal with "No" or "Cannot", being denied something that they want. Guess, waiting is not a strong suit of a toddler (since bo concept of time) so it is worthwhile to start teaching
- waiting ("mommy count to 3 then we do this?" and slowly stretching it)
- negotiation ("if you want this... do this first", start with some immediate reinforcement first)

Of course as in all teaching, best to do it often, in daily life and not as tantrum is starting. The strategies work better during difficult times when practised when kiddos are calmed. Using a different tone (no need to shout, just clear and firm) with minimal words to calm kiddo down before employing waiting or negotiating strategies may sometimes defuse situation and avoid total meltdown.

In event of total meltdown, sometimes best just take child apart in a quiet place to calm down (some people calls it time-out) but to me, i dont leave kiddo alone. Just wait till crying subside abit before i try firmly to get my point across again. Ignoring the behv works for some kiddos, for specific issues - mostly those attention-seeking type. Some of the hurting/pinching behv can be due to wanting attention and not really because they want to 'hurt' other people. But i agree with the mommies here, those hurting pple type behv shd be nip in the bud right from the start. By this age, the kiddos should start to understand boundaries already.

Ok.. just my two cents worth niah.. heh paiseh.

aurorin,

It's definetely more than 2 cents worth and it really sounds like an article on parenting! : )

The waiting technique we do it for milk and kitchen. She'll wan us to hug her while preparing stuff in the kitchen. Anyway it was difficult initially cos she'll not want to wait n wail and push us ard in the kitchen. Aft a while, she found tat waiting a while is btr than pushing us in the kitchen. Cos we will hug her up to see wat we are doing faster than if she try getting her way immediately by pushing us ard in the kitchen for attention.

I did also try the negotiation technique. But most of the time I lose it leh. She must have it first, then she will do wat I say. And not the other way round... tsk tsk...

snowger,

no la.. just some common strategies that i used with my clients last time, which also works with Avery now.

heh with the negotiation technique, to teach it to Avery, i started with some really really simple things i know she can do (or even scale it down the the simplest step) before she get what she wants. For eg i ask her to keep her whole wagon of blocks before she gets her doodleboard but she cries and refuse, i will just help her along to keep the things, constantly say "keep first, then draw" (Only keywords, minimal verbal). I will show her the doodleboard (so she knows what she is working for) but keep it out of reach. So the "keep" gets done very fast (cos i help mah and i only hand her one pc to keep), and at the end, i will say "Finish keeping! Now drawing! Good job!". Even if at the end, i have to do all the 'work', i will still hold her hand to drop in one pc, and praise her for doing the work & immediately giving her the doodleboard.

Continuously that's wot i do, always try to get her to do something FIRST, before getting what she wants, even if the FIRST is very very simple. Then the concept of negotiating becomes clear to her and also motivating because it seems 'easier' to do things for mommy first to get what she want, then crying. After she got the gist of it, the things i make her do before she gets her reinforcement become more and takes longer time. It's part of teaching so always try to make it successful. In the long run, better than reinforcing the behv of crying to get what she wants?

Hi Kath and girls,
Yes, of course i have to teach her when she slapped me. But i did not slapped her back on her face. I dun believe in slapping ppl. But i took her hands out to beat. Cos it is like " why mummy can slap me while i cannot? Why mummy can bite me while i cannot bite her? So i hit her hands, her thighs , her butt. Beside slapping very hurtful for a person dignity.. children too.

I ignore her cries and leave.

At times, i cannot differentiate if she is playing with me.. or she use too much strength or she did it purposely.... because sometimes, i ask her to sayang mummy.. she came over n slap me.. I said NO.. its too hard.. you should do it gently or kiss mummy's cheeks.

Like what aurorin said.. Key words.. I think she listen to my whole sentences but pick up key words.. cos when i said " ahhh you beat mummy???", she actually beat me again.. My mum told me.. she thought you ask her to beat you....

So when i said NO! STOP... i actually stop but cry out.. faintz!!

aurorin,

is good that u can do that. For me i am using that techique to ask my boy to keep things 1st. that only work when my boy is alone at hm. If with the bro at hm i have to make my elder one do it and he will follow.

So far he can understand wat we tell him. So when he only cry and dun follow instruction i will carry him away and use other things to distracted him. Eg: he like to open the fridge and if no one open for him he will cry till wan to vomite. My PIL always give in. For me i will carry him and bring him to the rm and use other stuff to distracted him.

My gal will "threaten" to lie down on the floor if she doesn't get what she wants. Usually we will also let her lie down on the floor and walk away, letting her wail away.. But my helper always so soft hearted, end up she'll carry her.. -_-"

Aurorin
That's a good tip from you. Think I'll try to follow your method.

Jappooh
Thanks, I've received the colostrum. Can add to milk right?

Fong,

yes can add into the milk. I always mix with abit of water and feed my boy. I dun add into milk cos my boy always will left abit of milk i dun wan to waste the colostrum..hee

That day my boy saw it and say "fen fen" which means "powder" and say it his. I say No is for auntie and he took 1 bottle and run away..

Hi Jappooh
Thanks. I received, my friend also received.

Aurorin
Thanks. I shall continue to try the nego method, although i tried it alot of times. Its works sometimes, but many times NO. Perhaps Ashlynne is rather stubborn and very cheeky.. Purposely do for me to see..

I praise her alot and clapped when she did things right. It helps.. Its just when she lie on the floor and cry to get her things... wah.. she can lie there very very long.. cry until the floor is wet.... i cannot take it!! I did try to bring her to the "punishment" corner, it does not work.. Too young to understand??? Sigh!!

Jappooh, received with thanks!! I hope u receive my trf too.

Jo, funny leh the way u describe Ash. I agree cannot slap them back la. Else they'll tink if ppl slap them they juz slap back. Haha..
Some kids cannot hv quiet corner. I tink zach is one though I dun hv one yet cos he cannot sit still much less be placed in a corner!!
I tink Zach is ready for a sibling cos lately I observe that he noes how to share n show love to others. Used to cry if attention is not on him. Too bad mummy is not ready!!
Aurorin, tat one is like 30% of his usual self. Imagine how he'll be if he's wide awake!! Even my parents surrender n said they welcome zach back for hols but if take care full time, cannot do. Need more panadol.. Muahaha. Cos he simply can't stop!
The air steward ask me tat day "wat battery does zach runs on?? I hope he's not being punished by standing all the way for this trip.." siao bor

Heh well, ultimately we have to acknowledge that all our little kiddos are developing their unique personalities so no one-size-fit-all solution to all their "funny antics". Can just trial and error and find the best way to work with them. My gal is the more passive-agressive, quiet-thinking, stubborn type. Can never force her to say "Sorry", she will just purse her lips, frown and stare at you from the corner of her eyes no matter how 'fierce' i am (but the min i show i am not angry, smilingly tell her say sorry, she will say). So 'punishment' or hard discipline, i dun think will ever work for her. However, reasoning (like negotiating) and rules/routines worked like a charm.

So its back to understanding what makes the kiddo tick, and then, apply the 'appropriate' methods? All personalities will have pros and cons... for example, like Avery, while it is easy to teach her rules and concepts (cos she prefers sit-down, table-top activities), i have a hard time trying to get her to try anything physical and build her confidence in those areas. :/

zachmommy: wah.. 30% only? Okie.. i will take your word for it.. sounds like he is a boy will is going to need alot of sports and outdoor activities to keep him happy when he is growing up! Need to expend his energy somewhere or else caregivers will have difficulties keeping up!!

Little Rabbit: Yup they do! I have been contemplating between the two, but my MIL wants him off her hands for a couple of hours. Says she cannot cope with him - even with a maid!

Pris: Yah I saw! Seems like EduKidz is quite popular. :D

Kath: The maid used very hot water when she showered him. We rushed to the toilet when he heard him hollering. It's not hot enough to scald, just made his skin red for a while. But that was a on-the-spot fire case for me. I'd rather put up with the additional stress than have this kind of a person around. My MIL on the other end, said she cannot live without the maid and when we told her about the maid, she said she needs to consider if she can continue to look after the baby if the maid is sent back! @#^(*^%&*

woah spag, i will oso fire her on the spot. Fancy treating a small child like that. Unacceptable..

I am so tired todae.. full day workshop that gotta listen and give requirements and then at the same time finish up documentation for upcoming testing, reach home gotta wash clothes etc..n i slept without brushing my teeth!! Goodness..what is the hb doing? reach home, throw the bag one side, put his dirty clothes in the laundry basket for me to wash and he went n download apps to his iphone. Ask him to help zach change to his PJs oso say "wait, i m doing something.." hullo..i oso wanna do something leh..i wanna go shower, hang the laundry, finish up my work, watch Desperate Housewives at 11pm..but can i wait? No lor.. super fuming! in the end he change but he give me a black face..wat is this man.

Spaghetti
omg.. thats so horrible of ya maid man. so meaning ya MIL dun wan to take care of ya baby if theres no maid? hmmm how about hiring another one? I think she will be quite tired if she alone look after a baby ba.. need to cook bath wash everything..

Hi Spag
This type of maid has no sense at all. Cannot keep. You do not know what will happen next. My friend's maid last time also shower her kid with very hot water and fed her with very hot milk, feed the wrong medicine. Asked her why, she said last week forget to feed, so this week feed. N baby like hot water. Totally no sense at all. She fired her maid right away.

Its quite tough for an old woman to look after a baby alone. Perhaps you can just ask your MIL to bear awhile while this interim, you can find the next maid??
happy.gif

Hi Spag,
Hope you can get a good helper soon. Jowinbaby is right, it is very hard for your MIL to look after active toddler alone. Even I cannot tahan looking after Bryan 24/7 on my own, i think i'll either go nuts or have a severe migrain! hahhaa

Tina:
sorry for late reply. No i stayed in Yishun, but CC at Yishun either not to my liking or on waitlist. So need to look further to Woodland lor.. ;)

Tamms: hope u have recovered, me nursing a flu over wekend too and still hv a slight cough. i stopped taking western medi, u see if Eu Yan Sang got some chinese medi to cure your running nose? Sometimes i feel chinese medi werk better
happy.gif

Terrible 2: my dear gal oso shows dat she has her own "mind" from few months back. Wat she dun wan to do, i cannot force her. think she inherit my temper, can only use "soft" approach. But she is still "scared" of me, there is a limit to how she will misbehave.

CC: any mummies sending your kids to Kinderland? any advice? I am considering to confirm with them, but so far none of my frens have sent their kids to Kinderland before.

marcar
my bois r in kinderland tampines safra. so far am satisfied wif their teachers & teachings. quite caring & nice too. sam also send her daughters to kinderland but i tink woodlands area one. =)

iemiko: really??? wow... thanks for your feedback... at least i feel more "justified" paying for the high fees + sch bus... ;)

Sam: can give me your feedback or advice?

I juz wan a CC which allows learn-thru-play envt and not the standard board/poster teaching, more imptly is kids must enjoy themselves.

Adel: im so glad dat Bryan finally manage to settle at a good CC, hapi for u too
happy.gif

carmen,

i did not receive your PM leh....

your girl seems the same with Randall hehe. A mind of their own...doesn't want then cannot force one lol.

Any mummies sign up with JG Evans? starting class this July... can't wait...feel like I am the one enjoying.

Marcar,
Thanks
happy.gif
Ya we are so happy that we have found this centre in time. I'm given constant updates on Bryan and now his appetites has improved tremendously! Even the teachers are impressed with his improvements. They told us that he gets impatient when he sees food and he wants to eat immediately despite it being hot and they have to distract him in order to get him to wait! Same thing happen at home too, suddenly he becomes so keen to eat again and I'm just glad :D hahahaah

When we asked him who his friends are in the centre, he will say Teacher Esther (the centre owner) and followed by the rest of the teachers, including the cook and lastly his new classmate. Really funny hahahah

In the morning we will ask him where everyone is going, his reply today was "daddy go work, mummy go work, Bryan schoooool" I just melt lor :p

jowinbaby,
Thanks ;) Bryan is really very chatty and i guess it gives him an advantage in the care centre as he can make his needs known to the teachers. In a way, I feel more at ease 'cos I know he can vocalise his needs.

Adel...

dont you find that the kids go through phases where they will eat alot...and then other times, not so much?

Emma was going through the eat-a-lot phase when she would have her dinner, and thereafter eye our dinner...so basically she would eat like two portions!!!

Nowadays, she doesnt eat much.....

i guess it could be a cycle...

Thanks everybody. Yup, we already "chopped" a maid already, but she will take 2, 3 weeks to come. In the mean time, my MIL said she will help. But I am thinking of trying out CC. It seems to me that children who attend CC tend to pick up lingustic skills faster too. My David still ee ee ah ah, dunno what he is saying.

The Little Skool House at Tampines Junction is just minutes from my walk. I know they have enrolment space in July. Just worried if my boy can survive trying to self-feed and all...

Santorini,
Ya they do go into phases on their meals intake. Bryan was on the up scale when he just entered the old centre's toddler division but his appetite quickly dwindle to pathetic state. In the new centre (4th day after the old centre) his intake starts to improve back to his usual portion and now it is massive. I guess his body is calling for the food to make up for the lack in the previous wk. Overall, I'm just so happy to see him eating :D

Spag,
You can start to train him now and ignore the mess. Just make it fun for him so that he will want to self feed :D If you start now, he should be able to join his new friends in self feeding once he watch them do it. You know our kids are in the monkey see monkey do stages so once he is comfortable in holding the spoon and bringing it to his mouth, he should be ok to self feed at the centre. However, do tell the teachers he CANNOT self feed so that they will focus more attention on him when it comes to feeding time. :p

So student teacher plays a big part if ur kid cannot self feed n all.. Or has nv been in a childcare environment. If u dump ur kid who has always been taken care by grandparents or maids suddenly into a class of 2 teachers n 16-20 kids.. It's a disaster. Ur kid will feel v helpless.

Another thing is if u notice ur kid only likes a particular teacher coz either the teacher sticks with the kid the whole day or they hv some sort of chemistry. U hv to stop it. U need to talk to the teachers n make sure ur kid can take to all teachers if not u will hv a nitemare if that teacher is sick, transferred or resigns.

Hayden is doing well so I deceided to at least leave him there till end of the yr. Then in between if we get a maid, then he might change to a sch near my place. If we dun get a maid, then he might change if the 2nd one goes to IFC.. Then they same sch.. That is if I dun get a nanny la..

I hate pros n cons of IFC n nanny!! IFC=medical bills.. Nanny=crappy nonsense! If this bb has a stronger immunity.. I will definitely Put in IFC.. At least I can question n breastfeed.. With nanny I dun trust. If I get a maid, I'll just robot train her to my standards.. N put CCTV in my place.. Hahaha

merydith: i send you a PM again
happy.gif

Adel & Jo: wow... Kasia cannot call other people's names yet too... she can hardly call her own name... she makes it sound like "Sisia"... wahahaha... hope my little gal will love the CC which her mummy has painstakingly choose...

pigicia: it's like dat lor, but i trust my Bbsitter @ 651, cos we have built up my rapport with her liao... anyway donemy sum, dun think i will put at BBsitter after CC hours as it's too much for the CC + sch bus! so hubby and i will "pia" home after werk daily... if werk really too much, then will get my bbsitter to help out on an ad-hoc basis ba... so cannot imagine u with 2 kids soon ;p

jia you ba...!

We had the most awesome saturday night! hahahaha...We were all sitting in front of the TV and hb decided to play counting games with Bryan. Hb said "one..." and Bryan piped in "two... with a cheeky grin" and I was stunned. I thot if he could count to 3 it will be a bonus! Guess what....we started with one and it didn't stop till 10!!!!!! We were totally astounded that he could count to 10!! We tried to figure out where did he learn it from and then we recall our usual morning routine with him on the way to IFC about 2 mths back... We would count to 10 then then lift him via his arms and "fly" for a distant and repeat. He loves that a lot but we did not know it actually helped him to learn how to count! I'm still in a state of shock hahahahah

marcar,

yes. my 2 middle girls are in Kinderland at Woodlands Civic Centre. Lauren is in K2 already and Emily is in Nursery. I find Kinderland fine. The teachers are caring and the kids do seem to learn quite a lot there. The syllabus is interesting and my girls enjoy going. I think Kinderland is ok for the mid-range pricing that they charge.

Jowinbaby,

Ya, Calista can't say much either. It was the same for my 3rd girl. My 2 eldest girls were like Bryan .. very early on can talk and hold a conversation with u.. so I realize it's an individual thing. In any case, my 3rd girl really caught up when she was 2 plus and is now chatty and can speak well too. So dun worry - Ashlynne and Calista will catch up !! Calista is still calling me "ma ma" and not "mummy" lol :p but she can call my maid properly :p "Aunty" ... hahahah !

adeline...wow...think bryan is the onie boy that can speak well in our dec mom thread...guess the ifc realli aids in the childrens' speech...cidney loves to talk too...but sometimes she gets so excited that she will babble her baby talk...i will then tell her to speak properly cause i can't understand her...hahaha...she can't realli count properly yet but she can say the next no. sequence, but in japanese, cause we count in japanese to her...her fav. is go (5), nana (7), ku (9)...
Nini gave me oso a surprise earlier this week...i was watching TV and she's meddling with her shape puzzle..then she jus fit all the 8 shapes into the puzzle one by one without getting one wrong one..i tried catching her on the phone video but she got distracted and only fit in 4 pcs..its realli quite amazing to see what they are able to do these days...

Back