(2006/02) Feb 2006 MTB

Hi Sunshinekid, Amanda, Claire

Actually I thought the first time round will be late but guess all these are just myths.
happy.gif
I have friends who are passed EDD dates for the first time round, mine was one day before EDD.

My gynae sees me bi-weekly , and if i remembered correctly, after 36 weeks, it should be weekly I think. Scanning is done as a routine, and measurements taken. There are some gynaes who dun do scanning at each visit.

The gynae will also use a doppler which amplifies the sound of baby's heartbeat so that you can hear
happy.gif

Hi Babycutie

Re:FDW, personally I would want to give off days because being cooped up at home 24x7 can be very depressing at times without any chance to go out side, unless you bring your maid out with you whenever you go out. For me, I dun bring my maid along whenever we go out on weekdays or weekends, and I give her 2 off days now, one is fixed off day stated in the contract, the other one is a variable one. We didn't want her in the house all the time too since we also want some privacy at home.

Some would say the maid might turn bad or be influenced in a negative way if they go out too often .. it all depends on who she mixes with, her maturity as well. I have seen a maid in my gal's school who is not allowed off days getting pregnant and repatriated.

As long as the housework is done and her performance is good, I give her that variable off day, plus I know my maid goes to christian church for worship and service, before she head off to meet her friends. My maid is also very nice - on her off day, she offered to follow me to church and look after my gal at sunday school, which means half her off day is gone .. she offered to help me because she knows I needed help and I appreciate that and because of that I wanted to also give her more time to sort of "make up" for it, but she's ok too if I dun give her the extra time.

With my second baby coming, we worked out that if I happen to deliver on her off day, will need her around to look after my elder daughter and she's willing to come back asap upon notifying her.

bbcutie,
the placenta looks like internal organs with veins and looks quite bloody, like enlarged heart or liver with many veins... aiyo.. also dunno how to describe. apparently it does makes one's complexion a lot better. THat's the reason why some people go for placenta jabs and there are many products in the market with animal placenta, eg, sheep. Was told that if we decide not to keep it, DR will take it and sell it anyway. So my friend was saying why not keep it then.

Vonvon
surprisingly when i told my hb about it and showed him the picture and commented how disgusting it is, he said "ok wat". Then i say got to keep in freezer leh, you dun mind ah? He asked me will smell or not.. *faintZ*

<font color="ff0000">Summer</font>

I think NTUC sells at about $13.95 per pack of 36pcs. This is a good buy especially when u really need alot during the first 2-3 weeks.

Regarding the placenta thingy, I also mentioned to my hubby and he was disgusted by it. But then again, he does not object to me keeping it and then eat it after that. He says it's okay, I will cook for you.
happy.gif
happy.gif
You want to "dun" soup or put in porridge also can. Hahahah..

Anyway, when I had my boy (via C-sectn), the nurse left the bag of placenta below the baby cot and when she wheeled my baby out, she asked my hubby, do you want this or not? My hubby got this blur look, and asked, What's that?? Then my hb asked, what am I suppose to do with it?
happy.gif
Funny right. Anyway, it's a procedural thing to ask the parents whether we want it or not. Because Malays will take home and bury it.

summer,
Hahaha...yalor will smell or not... who dare to handle the placenta??? But if it really makes one's complexion a lot better, I don't mind to try. But my worry is who is gonna handle and process for me? Kekekekeke....

Let me discuss with my hb and mum first and see how it goes first. Because my hb would be the one carrying it back after my delivery and my mum would wash it after.... Dunno how can they take it.....kekekeke....

Hi Sunshinekid, Summer

It's interesting to know about this placenta thingy .. so how to keep/preserve the placenta and how to cook ? :p

sunshinekid,
Is that so? But no one ask us whether we want to keep the placenta during my last delivery leh.... Thot they would discard it.

Lenny,
Its really difficult to get a good FDW lor. Sometimes when we go out, we will bring the maid out. But we don't go out so often.

<font color="0000ff">Bbcutie/Lenny</font>

Yah, actually I am more concern with how it can be cooked, rather than eating it per se. I dun think u need to preserve it, just treat it as any other meat that you buy from the market. :p I heard it looks like pig's liver. Too bad my hubby didnt take a look at mine the last time, cos it was in a white plastic bag.

Anyway, hubby jokingly told me to do a search on Google and find out the ways it cld be cooked. :p

hi Lenny
I am also not too sure, heard from my friend that that Cassandra stored in her freezer... guess that's how you preserve it. As for the actual baking and pounding i am not so sure but i intend to read up in the Internet and see if i can find any info on this. At the same time, i will also ask my gynae about it... hope he is not too shocked.

yeee.... u all so gross leh.. haha... sure ah... does animals and human have the same kind of placenta?? cause tat time i see the SCV then the cow give birth then the placenta drop and it look so de gross leh... yuckys..... :p

Hi Sunshinekid

Maybe can ask the cf nanny how to cook placenta ..
happy.gif

Hi babycutie,

Yes, indeed getting a good FDW as a first step is already very difficult, plus different culture and background. That is why I rely on testimonies frmo her previous employers and even spoke and met up with her previous employer in Singapore to understand more. Most of the maids from my agent comes with testimonies and the previous employer are willing to be contacted should there be any questions.

I can see that my maid has a very good relationship with her previous employer .. esp when they send her to me , their eyes were teary and she visited them on and off during the first year she worked for me.

My first maid was a trained mid-wife .. sounds good on paper and she speaks good english .. but alas, her attitude sucks. Dun ever get those from Philippines major cities if you are looking for FDW, best to get those from the provinces/villages. That maid is a super vain pot, rebonded hair, long painted nails, very concerned about her figure and on diet somemore, and quite self-centered,even though she is knowledgable abt taking care of babie since she worked in hospital nursery before.

SOME DISGUSTING RECIPES FOR PLACENTA (YUCKS!)

Various Uses of Placenta
Placenta Recipes (Mothering Magazine, September 1983, Vol. 28, pg 76) Each placenta weighs approximately 1/6 of the baby's weight. Cut the meat away from the membranes with a sharp knife. Discard the membranes.
Placenta Cocktail: 1/4 cup raw placenta, 8oz V-8 juice, 2 ice cubes, 1/2 cup carrot. Blend at high speed for 10 seconds

Placenta Lasagne: Use your favorite lasagne recipe and substitute this mixture for one layer of cheese. In 2 tbl. olive oil, quickly saute meat of 3/4 placenta, ground or minced plus 2 sliced cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 diced onion &amp; 2 tbl. tomato paste, or 1 whole tomato.

Placenta Spaghetti: Cut meat of 3/4 placenta into bite size pieces, then brown quickly in 1 tbl. butter plus 1 tbl. oil. Then add 1 large can tomato puree, 2 cans crushed pear tomatoes, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbl. molasses, 1 bay leaf, 1 tbl. rosemary, 1 tsp. ea. of salt, honey, oregano, basil, and fennel. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.

Placenta Stew: Meat of 3/4 placenta in bite size chunks, 1 potato (cubed), 1/4 cup fresh parsley, 2 carrots, 3 ribs celery, 1 zucchini, 1 large tomato, 1 small onion. Dredge meat in 1 tbl. flour mixed with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp. paprika, pinch of cloves, pinch of pepper, 6-8 crushed coriander seeds. Saute meat in 2 tbl. oil, then add vegetables (cut up) and 4-5 cups of water. Bring to full boil, then simmer for 1 hour.

Placenta Pizza: Grind placenta. Saute in 2 tbl. olive oil with 4 garlic cloves, then add 1/4 tsp fennel, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. thyme, and 1/4 cup of wine. Allow to stand for 30 minutes, then use with your favorite home made pizza recipe. It's a fine placenta sausage topping.

Hi Summer

Looks like the placenta is treated like any form of meat that we eat and cook the same way :p .. and I wonder how much we have to eat to get the effect haha .. if one placenta last one day for 3 meals and need to constantly maintain and eat it, dun think we have enough placentas to go around !! :p

Good to know that placenta is about 1/6 of baby's weight, meaning for a 3 kg baby, the placenta is about 0.5 KG. I wonder what's the weight of water bag ?

Lenny
I definitely won't eat placenta like the way it's being cooked above, too gross for me to take it. But if we pound into powder form and put them into capsules and take it like a supplement, that should be fine and can lasts us longer. I read that placenta (depending on mummy's BMI) is avergagely about 600g or so.

No placenta eating for me. it's gross....very gross....ha ha :p

Amanda
same date gng gynae good we can update one another ha ha
happy.gif
I think u also about in the same wks as me right. I am 36 wks this saturday also....hee hee :p so exciting we are all popping ha ha ha :p

the placenta thingy sound so gross.. but i know some malay pple would actually take it home.. my sister did.. wash it like you wash any other meat and bury it in an earthern pot.. the parents of the bb would put things in also.. for example, a pencil (for smartness), a long thread ( long life) and other weird stuff.. this are all up to individual la.. this if for those who re more pantang and conservative but i dun think i would be bringing it home.. dunno whether hb would be disgusted by it or not..

etelle: yeah yeah.. hehe no lah.. u one week advance than me.. me tis sat 35 weeks.. u 36weeks rite... ya now see so many comin out i also feel the excitment liao..
happy.gif

Amanda Lim (0505bride)
who think of the chinese name for u ? u n hb or inlaws? I havent thought of a name, FIL suggested some but I thot since I am bearing the bb and will outlive my FIL, i shd name it instead of letting FIL ( whom i m not close too) name my bb.

Claire Liu , Lenny, amanda, bbcutie,
tks for sharing on your routine checkups. I guess my gynae is taking it easy as whenever he ask if everything is OK, i reply yes, I never complain anything unusal. But he did say to monitor bb movement. So now i can only wish all is well inside.

Nevertheless, i will ask him to be more thorough next visit.

baby cutie,
u alrdy did once, so now must psycho yourself to do natural...sure can one!!! oosh!!!
For me, i am psychoing myself go natural. Scared of back ache aftr that. Many say hv backache. alrdy my back not so strong.

Placenta,
no no placenta to me....dont think can stand the bloodiness!!!

wow another baby or babies coming!

Amanda think the hospital will send you a booklet and inside will contain the list and admission letter. Write it down for you anyways.

List of items provided by TMC:
baby vest
disposalbe diapers
toiletries
a baby bag
wrapping blanket
a pair of mittens

Basic toiletries provided throughout stay. But bring along personal clothing, cosmetics and own toiletries you feel comfortable.

girls,

just a warning.. dun buy those 'made in china' kind of cloth diapers.. just wash the one my mum bought for me and now there s lint all over.. and the cloth diapers after washing looks stretched and ugly..

babycutie,
the placenta article can be found in ytday (12 jan)URBAN, The Straits Times.. They got a picture of the placenta which looks very blody &amp; gross..

hipee: i tink tink myself.. then will ask hubby to ask MIL wan to help baby to tink a not lor.. haha hope she say let us do it ourself then will use mine.. hehe

gingerale: oh.. so they will let us know in advance lah.. hmm ok... thanks ya...
happy.gif

i have a bb ger: huh... tollyjoy one will stretch ah... but heng i din buy a lot of Tollyjoy.. just a few...

Thk most of the diaper cloth will stretch regardless what brand u r getting lor....

The one I use also stretch and go out of shape after wash..... Dunno what brand. My mum bought for me the last time.... Anyway, I am using it to wrap up bb only..... So not particular abt the shape of the cloth.....

bb_ger,
Thks for the info....

bb_ger
dun think u need to bring breast pump leh cuz they said milk flow will only come in on the 3rd day for thsoe natural delivery and for c section one is 5 days leh....so...dun think necessary but if u want to bring also can lah
happy.gif

Hi i_have_a_bb_ger

We bought cloth diapers the last time for my elder daughter, but didn't use it for long .. still prefer disposable ones. If you are using cloth diapers, need to get the nappy liners to line inside the cloth. My cloth diapers were used for covering our shoulders when burping our gal over our shoulder or on our lap tummy down.

I brought my own manual breast pump to stimulate milk flow, so you will need to bring a container to sterilise the pump and sterlising tablets. A 4 liter container should suffice, and the solution is sterilie for up to 24 hours and can be re-used.
Previously, hubby brought the Avent electric steriliser to sterlised my manual pump, but it's too cumbersome to bring along so my friends taught me this method to sterilise.

Hi Amanda, Hippee

for my elder gal, hubby ask his parents to choose a chinese name and mil gave me 3 to choose from.
Her english name is chosen by us. For my second baby, we chose both names and my inlaws and parents are also very happy with the names.

Hi Gingerale

for clothings, best is to get the open front pyjamas dress. I had two that was used previously in my first delivery. For ease of breastfeeding, if you intend to go bra-less, bring along a cardigan to wear and cover up in case you wanna walk out of the room or if you are expecting visitors. My dress is white so I better cover-up :p The last round, i recalled I can't even get up to wash my face or brush my teethin within the first 24 hours, getting up from the bed and walking was painful, and I have the urine bag attached to me too .

Hi Etelle

The breast pump is to stimulate milk flow by using it before the milk comes in .. but dun be like me too aggressive and pump too hard until nipple cracked and sore :p

Hi babycutie

Hee .. yeah, we use the cloth diapers for wrapping my gal too and also use it to cover the pillow in case the milk spills .. anything but wearing the cloth diapers :p

How about those 2 piece PJs? I bought a front open type pj. But think 2 piece pj got nicer pattern leh. Is it easy to wear pants after the birth anot huh?

Lenny,
I tried using nappy cloth as diaper but gave up after 1/2 a day because within 3hrs, we have to change 6pcs liao.....

So we still stick to disposable diapers...

Hi Babycutie

Yeah, gotta change so frequently, and gotta wash and dry is quite a hassle and disposable diapers are just as good for the baby's buttocks .. in fact, I change the disposable diapers every 3 hrs.

Hi gingerale

If you have epsiotomy, I find that dress is more convenient, in terms of washing the wounds in the hospital .. the nurse actually came by in the night and help me wash my wound in the nite by lifting up my dress while I laid down on my bed and she will just soak some of the antispetic solution in cotton and squeeze them onto my wound to wash and change the pad for me.

I stick with the pyjamas dress at home too, because every time after I pee or poo, I have to wash the wound and just lift up my dress is quite convenient for me, no need to bend down and pull my pants up and down .. but then again, it depends on your preference
happy.gif
my PJ dresses are not nice or fashionable in any sense, but I just make do with it ( got some batik nite dress too ).

the cloth diapers i bought is also for covering bb or burp cloth la.. i m gonna use disposable diapers.. too lazy to go wash the cloth kind..

gingerale, i just bought my dress button front pjs from ck dept store at $5.90.. you might wan to go have a look.. a bit cartoony if you dun mind..

Hi Feza

I buy cheap diapers for frequent changing, and keep the expensive pampers premium for nite use. Actually, there's a brand that is quite cheap and good, EQ brand .. but not available at all supermarkets .. I got it from Sheng shiong and Giant. The packaging doesn't look as attractive as others, but I let my elder gal tried as my friend commented it was not bad, and indeed not bad.
Huggies will leak, likewise for drypers, if you intend for overnite use, otherwise changing every 3 hrs is ok. Tried Nepia diapers too .. one thing I didnt like about nepia is that when the flow gets too heavy, the diapers will tend to drop .. it happened to my gal when we were out twice and her nepia diapers dropped to her ankles :p maybe the adhesive tape is not strong enough.

i heard from a frd too that eq brand is not bad.. i have sheng siong near my place should nt have a problem in getting them.. another brand my frd recommended was mamy poko.. that she say can use for nytes...

i haven stock up on diapers yet.. must do stocking up soon man..

Lenny,
I use Nepia diapers for overnite use for my girl and so far so good. As for EQ diapers, its not so absorbent and can't tolerate more than 4 times of pee..... I am using Huggies (Red packaging) for my girl as day use.

For my son, I have bought Nepia for him regardless day or nite.

Also used PetPet before, it is worst than EQ. Drypers is ok but find it too stiff. Fitti premium also not bad but cutting is rather small.

i think i will just have to trial and error on this one.. coz i might never know which one suit my girl until she try..

what bout formula milk?? any brand to recommend? i know i wan to breast feed but what if not enough supply then must get formula right?

Summer,

Wow, those recipes very yucky leh, i want to puke. ;P Pounding it and storing in capsule form sounds better, but where to get those capsule? Btw, just to to Robinsons at centrepoint. Medela mini electric got weekend special. Ori - $178, weekend special only $128. Good hor. BB things mostly also 20%.

babycutie/lenny,

I agree its very difficult to get a good FDW, esp for me, I do not have my parents or In-laws to help me to monitor the maid. I had a very good one when my ger was born. She put her heart to the job and took care of my house and bb very well. We trusted her totally. Best of all, she has the brains and common sense when it comes to work. After she went back Phil to get married. I changed more tham 10 maids in the last 4 yrs. Testimonials from previous employers? They were all crap! Previous employers can only comment on what they know during the short time they are home with the maid. I have transfer maids that came to my house using the toilet scrub to wash my bathroom basin! What employers see are just the end result but never train or see them perform the task. Anyway, you will not know her true character until she works with you. Besides, you need to get a fine balance. The dumb ones need you to give instructions and never use common sense to work but the smart ones climb over your head and will pull long face when being told off. Haiz....its really not easy. Sorry, venting my frustration......kekeke

Re: Diapers

Been using Nepia. So far so good. Anyway coz my boy's got nappy rash, so been changing him very often, sometimes after every pee. So doesn't really matter whether the brand good or not. Just need to be cheap.

I bought the diapers from Jintaitong.... there is one near my hb workplace.

I pkt of Huggies (Red Packaging) L size 60pcs cost $15.20. Other place selling $16.80.

Also their milk powders are cheaper.

But their branches are mainly at the east area...

babycutie,

east area exactly where.. coz i m moving back to my ILs in the east roughly next month.. so maybe i should buy from the east and stock up..

Lenny thanks! Great tips and insights! Think i'll buy another front open button dress. Less hassle.

Feza where is CK departmental store? was it the chinatown one you girls talking abt?

mashy,
U can try the dusting powder which I have recommended sometimes back. I even post the pic leh.... My girl uses this powder since born and have changed so many brand of diapers and she has been nappy rash free till now....

I also use this powder on my tummy now as there are rashes on my tummy since few weeks back....

Jasmine,
Agree with what u hv mentioned on FDWs. My current one is exactly like what u have commented:- The dumb ones need you to give instructions and never use common sense to work

My mum faces her everyday and really surrender liao..... They really don't use their common sense lor.... Anyway, we just close one eyes lah... So long don't give us attitude problems can liao lah.... We can't ask for much.....

<font color="ff0000">Feza</font>

Is the pj 100% cotton type? Feels comfy or not? I may drop by at the CK shop at my mum's plc tonite.

Btw, does Mt. A provide nightie for us? In Gleneages, they provide so I didnt bring my own.

Feza,

The Robinson sale is for the public.

The Jin Tai Tong Medical Hall addy:
Blk 445 Pasir Ris Dr 6 #01-96
Tel : 6583 3027

Hope its the right one. Did a yellow pages search. :p

Feza,

Here are the branches:-

Jintaitong - medical hall for milk powder and diapers

10 ubin crescent #01-50 UBI techpark

blk 445 pasir ris drive 6 #01-96

blk 118 Rivervale drive #01-28