(2005/12) Dec 05 mums-to-be

Jenny,

the best age to try toilet training for boys is 2yrs old and for girls is 1.5 yrs old according to childcare books.

I started my boy on toilet training on 2yrs, 2yrs 3mths and 2yra 7mths. the 3rd time we finish toilet training in one week because he had enough bladder control to pee in the potty.

one advice given by a educator when I attended a potty training workshop was to start training when the child can stay dry for at least an hour. than let the child go sit on potty every 2 hrs until the child is used to it.

mummies
want to share the oatmeal cookies i made yesterday for my boy. I got the recipe from the book, Super Snack. The book can be found in libraries.
936704.jpg

i share the exact recipe i got from the book here. but i din follow exactly when i made mine. i used melted butter instead of oil. i din add raisins or nuts. i blended oats to powder before making.

Dry Ingredients
2 cups (500 ml) quick cooking oats
1.5 cups (375ml) soft whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp (30ml) baking powder
3tsp (45ml) cinnamon
1 cup (250ml) raisins
cup (125ml) sunflower seeds
cup (125ml) chopped walnuts

wet ingredients
1 cup (250ml) sunflower oil
cup (125ml) honey or maple syrup
3/4 cup (185 ml) water

preheat the oven to 180C.
mix the dry ingredients. Then add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients to form a dough
form the dough into small balls n put them on the cookie plate n flatten with hands or fork to make patties.
Bake for 12 15 mins

YL, Justin is so blessed to have a mum like you. I think even if I am not working, I wont be bother to make so much effort to prepare different varieties of food for the tod. I really envy Justin.

hi all
so long never post....my dad was hospitalised last few weeks, then my grandpa fell down in the toilet tues, just back hm yesterday...so scary....tot he canot make it this time...luckily he is back hm now...

YL
so nice! i only ever prepare non-bake orea cheese cake with renee, just once only....kitchen table in a mess :p

A "bo liao" weekend poll from me:

Which is most embarrassing to you??

1) Caught wearing your clothes wrong or reverse side?
2) Caught with a peg on your clothings?
3) Caught with zippers unzipped?
4) Caught with food or lipstick stain on your teeth
5) Caught with leaking breasts
6) Caught with pi siah sticking out from your nose
7) Ppl offering you a seat when they tot u r pregnant when u r actually NOT?

SC,
haha.. you're very creative leh.. can think of so many embarrassing situations.. can I add more scenarios to your list?

8) Caught with missing button on blouse (and others can see through)

9) Caught with visible menses stain on skirt or pants

For me will be #3 & #9.

No, i did not go to vivo last Sat. Maybe you saw other mummy.

SC,
For me will be #3 and #7

SC,
Tricia has tried prawns already. I think it's ok now as long as you monitor that there is no allergy after that.

SC, jf
#9 for me.

I've also let Ger try prawns already. Basically, i want him to try all types of food for the taste amd texture as he's v fussy with food and i wanted him to be able to eat well in sch instead of picking his food.

SC & Joyful polls:-

For me is #3, #5 & #9.

But hor #5, leaking as in how har? :p

Prawns:-
So far Jayden tried drinking soup cooking by prawn head/shells, have yet to let him tried the prawn.

SC

For me will be #5, #7 & #9.

I had let Ziv try prawn once but he got rashes after that so I not sure issit the prawn that cause the rashes so I did not let him try again until last week I let him try a bit seem ok so I am monitoring whether he can take any prawn.

2005(first_mum),
I was at Viviocity last Sat afternoon, maybe you mistaken me for fluffy? Or maybe you really saw a mummy & toddler who looks alot like fluffy & tricia.. ha..

SC,
Haven't let Cathleen try prawns, so no feedback on this topic.

if,
ive never met fluffy b4 actually, but i talked to a mummy who told me her girl was born on 9 dec dats y i tot it was her haha.

hi mummies,
while we are on the topic of recipes, can i make an appeal to mums who cook for their todds to share recipes here?

i wish to start hazel on rice for 1 meal a day but duno how to cook the "liao". we dont cook at home, so i would be making some very simple dishes to go wiv the rice, like maybe steamed eggs and minced meat etc.... i hardly cook so very fast will run out of ideas. any mummy got yummy recipes to share???

thanks!

prawns,

my boys ate prawns before 9mths old because my older boy love har gow alot and will finish all the prawns in the har gow.

scared they have prawn allergy so gave them early to make sure no allergy.

2005, fluffy's tricia is born on 8 Dec, i thought?

Regarding rice, I also dont have many ideas. I just make soup for her using the veggies/meat/fish and pour over the rice. Sometimes I do it without soup, just steam the fish with the veggies. I also make baked rice (make cheese sauce, dump in veg/meat, pour over steamed rice, put cheddar cheese on top and put in toaster to melt it). Hoping to learn new recipes too!

SC, no prawns yet. she has eczema, so I thought best to avoid until older.

me oso run out of ideas liao, so far thank God rj still ok wt the porridge, so he only take rice 3-4 times a wk the rest will be either porridge, mashed potato, mee sua or ABC pasta. For rice, will gv him soup wt steam chix, steam fish, steam pork + steam egg + vege

can steam toufu and add minced pork (or fish paste) on top. Or fry the minced pork with black sauce (Ger's fav). Else, can also fry the egg or steam egg with mushroom / crabstick (like chawanmushi). For fish, can steam or grill (can vary the fish). If you want to grill, salmon and cod fish are nice. Or can steam chicken, like chicken rice style. For me, I'm running out of ideas for what to cook for hb and I. Wanted to make chicken rice this weekend. But, hb has cough. So, i was thinking of making a soup (maybe old cucumber and pork rib) and a side dish. My mum made extra meatballs for us. (so, usually, I'll keep the extras for lunch on sat, so that i can cook one less dish). Thinking of what side dish now, coz we usually eat eggs for breakfast. So, dun wanna fry egg for lunch. hmm... and we ate toufu on last sat and Yong tou fu for last sun.
sad.gif

mummies, do you give your kiddos snacks? If yes, besides fruits, bread, cheese and biscuits, what other snacks do you give. I am talking about those munch and go type, not those having to sit at the table to eat kind
happy.gif
TIA!

Mummies,
If you're sitting on the mrt or bus & see a women who looks like preggie, but you're not absolutely sure if she's preggie, what do you do?
Give up your seat to her immediately? Or what other reaction?

SC, my mil likes to give her xiao man tou and she loves it. But I try not to give her too much cos I find it too sweet.

JF, I will observe first and wait till have eye contact then ask her if she wants the seat.

SC, i give anything that DS fancies, usually it's different types of biscuits eg. animal shapes, alphabets, or kueh balu (dunno how to spell) Sometimes he wants to eat our potato chips too and i just give 1-2 pcs. after tasting it, he dun want liao.

SC
Zach loves the butter muffins from crystal jade bakery he can eat 2 small ones at a go. Actually he seldom snack. Usually will only give him biscuits.

JF
Same like taka, will observe fm head to toe...see if she is wearing high heals or low, if low likely she is preggie will make eye contact to see she wants the seat..

meixue/megan/krissie,
thks fr sharing. btw can i check wad sauce u use for making pasta for our todds? hazel seems to prefer cream sauce to tomato but i cnt find in supermarket.

SC,
i let hazel snack once a day after her afternoon milk. we give her almost everything like cupcakes, biscuits, donuts, pancakes with fillings, kaya toast, bao, raisins and fruits. not very healthy choices but i let her try abit of everything as long as not spicy or deep-fried, in my desperate attempt to "fatten her up" haha.

the supermarkets sells those packet pasta with cream sauce. you can try those?

SC
We also gv Ger pao. he loves yam pao, steam cake. You can gv those ang poh pastry such as scones, muffin, danish to Meg?

2005, i make my own 'cream sauce' for her pasta. I just melt some cheese (cheddar/cottage) in boiling water, add veg/meat/pasta and boil until it's creamy. she likes it.

Thanks krissie for the link! very informative!

Krissie
I don't like giving Megan the pastries here, too sweet and fattening. I prefer her not to develop a sweet tooth. Usually, she takes the baguets, fruits and yogurt as snacks...but I think she is getting bored liao
happy.gif

RE: Snacks
Thanks mummies, prolly will let Megan try when she is home in SG, here cannot find "bao"

U tried giving Hazel fromage pasta? Quite yummy
happy.gif

SC
I can understand, i told my mum that i prefer gving Ger wholemeal bread with cheese, yogurt, cereal, oats, etc. those healthy snacks. His fav unhealthy snack is yam pao and rasin snack. He can finish the whole pao or rasin bun on his own.

Mummies, I thought of this qtn all of a sudden and find that it may be interesting to post:

1) The day your kiddo was born (on the spot), was his /her eyes closed or opened?

SC,
Dunno leh, must ask my hb, as he, the gynae & the nurses are the 1st to see Cathleen when delivered. I only get to see her after they cut the cord & finished the tests then put on my tummy. Her eyes are opened at that time. Very alert. I will never forget that moment!!

What about Megan?

SC

I nv see properly but thk is close cos after all the surgery and I was very giddy due to the high dose of Epi so when the nurse carry Ziv to me I was blur blur nv really look properly.

SC,

The moment when Megan was vacuumed out and put on my tummy, she opened her big eyes and looked at me like so frighten. Just like jf, I will never forget that moment as well! I was surprised to see her cried with tears, I always thought new born babies cried without tears.

SC,
I'm late for your embarrassment poll but I want to input my answer, #6 & #7. Pisah is so so embarrassing, imagine someone is talking to you and the pisah is moving in and out while you breathe. OMG!!! I will want to die..

2nd poll,
Never get to see her until the next day cos of c-section.

Krissie,
thanks for sharing working mum's blog. Oppss.. it's WOKKING mum.
She is super creative, after looking at her food, i also feel like eating. i'm sure her kids will be happy to eat every meal.

Mummies u all c-section only get to see on next day ah. Me hor get to the see on the day itself. And feed him milk some more. Heehee...:D

Back