(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

Hi ky!

Where's the trial? Pm me the details, can?
B will be thrilled to do tennis on a regular basis. In fact, I was looking for a class for him here... but the hassle of having to send him to class on days when the car isn't available and if it pours, hails, snows or sleets... well, not now certainly. It's a warm spring now but there's no telling of the weather come winter. So it's a commitment to send kids to a class...

Something to look forward to in Sg.
happy.gif

In the meantime, we'll have to make do with Wii tennis!

Hi Sherlyn, Irene and Moo

Thank you for the gathering, it was so much fun for the kids and we have a nice time chatting.

Kai came back and went for his nap straight away and today, he was still mentioning about all the children.

K's mom, I discovered that you are very good in picking good read. I like most of the books that you pick for B & K. May I know how and where you get them? What other books do you recom? I find it extremely difficult to tear Bel away from the 2 authors that she indulge in. I would like her to try other authors and be exposed to different style of writing. Can you help me?

Gee, Serena... I feel flattered. But I think Serenade and Alcovelet pick out really great books too. Serenade will recommend you the thehomelibrary.com. There are good children's books reviews there.

My choice of books... to my surprise, turns out pretty well with my own brood. It's only by chance that they happen to be on children's list.
I like to hang out at this ONLY English bookstore in Frankfurt, which amazingly displays books that never fail to astound me, in terms of plots and pictures. Most of the time, I depend greatly on the Scholastic Book Orders within the preschool - one thing I certainly will miss when I'm back in Sg. In fact, I have been oversubscribing what my kids can read now... future investments and personal indulgence - coz I read them too, whatever free time I have :eek:) Ok, most of the time I pick books with underlying messages for my kids too, e.g. getting them ready to sleep, to eat, desirable behaviours, good aesop morals etc. Watch out for those!

I was reading a mag today during lunch... believe it or not, this might just be the list you're looking for!

So bringing to you Robert Watts' list of his top 10 titles:
1) Man's Work. Illustrated by Annie Kubler. (No words at all! Believe it or not, sometimes I borrow a couple of such books from the library and have myself told a funny tale from my kids! It's fun!)
2) Orchard Book of Aesop's Fables. Written by Michael Morpurgo.
3) The Margaret Tarrant Nursery Rhyme Book. Published by Collins
4) The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr Seuss.
5) Not now, Bernard. By David McKee
6) Farmer Duck. By Martin Waddell
7) One Snowy Night. By Nich Butterworth
8) The Ugly Monster and the Little Stone Rabbit. By Chris Wormell
9) I will not ever never eat a tomato. By Lauren Child
10) Room on the Broom. By Julia Donaldson.

I don't really know Bel well. I only met her once.
But you could try Kevin Henkes' Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, or Amelia Bedelia from Peggy/Herman Parish or Pippi Longstocking - There's even an old movie to that one.

But my kids are not advance readers. So Julia Donaldson is all they need right now.

Recently, my kids have been challenging each other, checking out Lift-the-flaps books from Usborne during their own library time in school. Strangely, these Usborne non-fiction titles work wonders with them. They love looking at the sea creatures or prehistoric animals.

Really, I think Bel being more advance in reading, should really be enjoying something more than these favourite titles from Franklin Series or Clifford the Big Red Dog. Serenade and Alcovelet can certainly give a better list of authors for advance readers.
happy.gif

Being here in Germany means I either order online or visit the only English bookstore in town. That's how I get my books. Of course, the school orders too.

Hi! K's mom, thanks for the list. Other than Dr Seuss and Pippi Longstocking, I don't know the rest. Somehow I find Franklin Series sounds familiar. Where have I seen it? Hm... anyhow I printed out the list and will go check it out. Million thanks!!

Hi Moo87, Pris, Sherlyn,
Yeah! B and myself enjoyed so much too.. Just a bit disappointed with the restaurant, cos thought is very big.. chey..
biggrin.gif
happy.gif
Moo, I agreed with Sherlyn, I like Zavier's innocent look too. ahahah..

Sherlyn,
Thanks for organising.
biggrin.gif

Hi Worrymum & Sherlyn,

You've got cheated by Z. He uses the most cunning way by using "innocent" look to get what he wants. :p I've got used to it that I just ignore his "looks".

Btw, Z remembers B and likes to play with him. We should come out more often. So that Z will learn from B's good manners.
happy.gif

Hi K's mom ... the tennis is at http://www.advantageschooloftennis.com/

Quite fun, and they'll come to your place and charge the same rates.

thanks for the list ... i'm still compiling my shopping list for amazon and this came in handy :->

Hi Serena ... just a thot that came to my mind n wonder if u gals have discussed it before ... how about having a booksclub or reading session for the children on a regular basis? it'll be for the kids to share and read storybooks, and for those who are willing, to read to their frens.

.ky.

Hi Ky, that sounds like a fine idea to me but I'm not sure if Bel is keen. She's the sort to run around in the library after spending 5mins on a book. No one will believe she can pick up a book to read!! Very short attention span I'm afraid. I worry she may distract the other kids. If you don't mind I'll ask her tonight.Ha....

K's mom, I just surf the net and realised I have Julia Donaldson book at home and it's a chinese book!! It's translated to chinese. They're not easy books. Quite tough actually or at least it's my personal opinion. I have to check with my colleagues how to read it.

Serena, how about A Jigsaw JOnes Mystery (Series) by James Preller, published by James Preller. Animals Ark by Lucy Daniels, Stories by Beverly Clearly and also adventures of MC Broom by Newberry Medal. These are books that Kai enjoys though I have to read with him as some words are tougher for him. And we are also read charlotte's web and other E.W. Whites books.

Hi Ky and Serena,

We were actually part of 1 which fell apart. But it is a great idea. Serena, you'll be surprised how kids can stay put if they know they're going to be heard. Some issues we encountered and how to solve them (in retrospect)-

1. the book has to be interesting and the story can be shared. Otherwise the other kids start to walk away. One mother used to bring those interactive time telling books - the other kids just spaced out cos they couldn't participate.

2. The book should be short and snappy. Or they could read a small chapter from a favourite book.

3. If the kid is not interested in reading that day, just move on to the next. If the other kids are not interested in listening, leave it be. We'll be the audience!

The positives I've seen happen - the kids start to cluster around each other after the session to read the books among themselves. We adults are so used to reading books to and with our kids, but surely if they read it among themselves, they'll have different ideas to share which may be very interesting to themselves.

RK's problem was that he wasn't a particularly good listener if things got slow, which cheesed the other mother off. But all in, the kids had good fun. In the even this group doesn't take off, we can always try it again when they're older

For a group read, I would really suggest Julia Donaldson.
Her books are written in rhymes, some can even be sung! Check out her gruffalo website. There are songs.

I particularly like "Sharing a Shell". My kids want me to sing it every time we read it. One of the grouses of having to read to my kids is that I end up having to sing the whole book to them! So... I'm in dire need to get them to read independently! Not that I'm a musical person - far from it! So that's a torture to me!!!

Bookclub sounds so fun!
ky, you can organise a Scholastic Bookclub even!
btw, the tennis link looks so fun!!! I can still remember the day when our whole family was playing tennis, and Bryan was charging into the court holding on to a huge racket at 18 months old! Of course, grandma held him off the court, while grandpa, daddy, mommy and uncle were on doubles! He was wailing!!! He just can't wait to play tennis!

HI Serena!
Apparently, Franklin is a cartoon series on TV. Never seen it before, though my son insisted he saw it on TV once. Hmmm???!!!

k's mum, Franklin is a nice cartoon, one of kai's favourite when we are in Vancouver. Anyway, now he is not into much TV, more on his toys, books and work.

Kai can't wait to go play tennis too, waiting for his daddy to bring him. Anyway, it is a good game to get him tired haahaa.

Apricot, do you have the list of places where they have children show for this June Holidays? If have, pls email me. Your list last Dec was most useful. Thanks!! Btw, I know that there will be a Hello Kitty performance show on next Tuesday in Bukit Panjang Plaza. I'm going for the 7pm show. Sher,Helen you gals keen to join me there? Irene, Ben probably won't like Hello Kitty?? If anybody knows of any other shows do let me know, this cheapo mum wants to take advantage of it!!

Update :

Date : 28 Jun (Sat)
Time : 9.30am to 10.30am

Sherlyn : 4 pax ($10)
Serena : 2 pax ($5)
Alcovelet : 2 pax ($5)
ky : 3 pax ($7.50)
Judy : 2 pax ($5)

Total : 13 pax (to-date)
Anymore? need 7 before it's confirmed.

----------------------------------------

I'm looking at organizing a Hydroponic Farm tour, http://www.ohfarms.com.sg/. This tour is reasonably suitable for 3-5 year old.

The reason is bcos B's school is organizing it on his last school-day and it costs quite a lot if he joins him then, so I intend to do one for him (and have my family enjoy this too).

Details
- location is near Khatib MRT
- $2.50 pax (above 3 year old) and includes 2 pack of veg.
- tour would be on a Sat morning (that's the only weekend timing they have). I'm looking at potentially a June date, subject to their availability.
- needs min of 20 paying person to have a guided tour.
- approx 1 hr to 1.5 hrs.

Do pm on the number of paying person so that I get an idea if I've got the minimum to proceed.

.ky.

Is the Popular Sale at Expo worth going?

I've got a Swenson 1-for-1 ice-cream sundae promo, valid from 26-30 may 08. anyone wants pm me ... i'll email back with the evoucher

.ky.

Yes dearies! It's next Tuesday not this week. 7pm. 3rd of June. Held at the Garden Plaza. Anyway, I will be there. Too near my house to miss it.

Pris, btw pls forward address of Yakult factory. Pleeease.... thanks!!

Ky, the last time I went for the Popular sale was last year. The things in my shopping cart were 1 GB thumbdrive, 1 storybook (birthday gift) and 2 folders. I decided not to go anymore unless I happen to drive pass.

Serena,
So pathetic?
biggrin.gif
Joking ah.. hope u dont mind.. But am ok for me leh.. managed to grab lotsa books and assessment books for this and the previous one.

Hello Kitty? No way.. ahaha
biggrin.gif
This holiday seem more for girl girl leh..
happy.gif

KY,
Depends what u look out for in Popular Sales..
happy.gif
Imagine, a A4 size box file, 6 papermate ball pen and 5 highlighter.. cost u only $2?
happy.gif
Assessment book @ $2 per book, which usual price is @ $3.75 to $5 per book?

Hi Serena!

Forgot to mention another author I personally like a lot: Leo Lionni.

Esp like the titles "Alexander and the Wind-up Mouse", "Fish is Fish", "It's mine", "A Color of His Own". At one time, I remember my kids and I were devouring the whole stash in the library.

Another rhyming author that B and K enjoy a lot is Laura Numeroff, silly titles like "If you give a mouse a cookie", or "If you give a pig a pancake". Funny thing was that B was just reciting some lines from the book the other day when I was serving K some pancakes. Gosh, what impact this woman has on him! My kids find these stories funny.

Hee... I was going through my bookshelves again this evening. Thought you might like to look up a couple of authors.

Thanks Pris!

Worrymum, oh you mean the June shows mostly for girls? That's good for me then. Ha...

K's mom, Ah! another good author! Btw, have you heard of this book "The invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick"? Feel like buying it from Amazon. Have been thinking of getting this book for a while. Thinkin.......more like I want to read it myself. Thinking.................

Hi Star,

My galfren has a 10yr old son and she was telling me abt the benefits of abacus. So was checking out if any kids attending. I will check out the SKCC class. I'm a bit worried on timing though. Z is having phonics on thur and keyboard on sat.

hi mummies

From what I know of abacus, it will help you to add/subtract/multiply/etc your numbers faster, but that's quite about it. It does not exactly improve the child's maths alot. There are many more aspects of maths that requires intelligence solving, that abacus doesnt cover.

Actually, the basic learning to add and subtract using abacus is very simple. Just follow a few rule steps, and the answer can be gotten quite easily. I don't quite understand why some centres take many lessons to cover it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi Serena,
Was asking C if she likes to watch Hello Kitty. Was quite surprised that she says no (she says yes most of the time). So I guess we'll give it a miss.

Actually we went for Dora show at Expo recently & she enjoyed that very much. I thought the props for Dora were very well done, compared to the Barney & Hi 5 shows we went previously.

Hi mommies,

May i know e weight n height for ur darlings...friend n relative commented my boy born in nov 2003 seem small size..

H all, sorry i've been missing in action.

Hi Angelzk, welcome! I actually don't know the height of my child but last we checked, he's in the 10% percentile (ie, very short!) and 30% percentile for weight. We had him checked up last year by an endocrinologist - my son's bone growth is only that of a 2.5 yo .... But don't fret! That's because my husband and I were late developers. I was always queued up at the front of the class till around 14yo when I had my menses (ave is 12yo). I'm about 1.65m now (ok, 1.64 half). My husband was also short till about 15/16. If you and/or your husband have a history of being late developers, chances are, your child will be as well. You may want to find out what percentile your child is (there's one at the back of your health booklet) and track that. As long as 1) he is healthy, 2) has reached his general developmental miletsones on time (generally speaking), 3) keeps within his height/weight band over time, and 4) you and/or your husband were late developers, it should be fine. If you need further assurance like I did, I can give you the name of the pediatric endocrinologist I went to.

HI alcovelet,

Thanks 4 ur info...my boy general milestones fine...jus alot ppl commented on his weight n height.Hes not a big eater too n real slow in taking meals.I have a 18 month gal too,for her lots comment shes tall...standing at my son shoulder.

i think im late developer too alway rememberin standing in first few of line or taking photo...thanks for ur assurance...jus wonder y mei mei seem taller when he is of her age.

Hi Angelzk, stimulating his appetite can't be bad. I've tried luring my son with his favourite foods, and I've increased his snack times. Anyway, he is in the 30th percentile in weight (vs 10 in height), so I guess the extra feeding is working! Oh yes, activity and sleep are very important too. The activity bit is just the energies of a typical 4/5 yo - they run and burn a lot off. Sleep - apparently a total of 12hrs including naps is good. Mine is very bad in this department - sometimes just 7hrs but typically 8-9 only. He just can't, sigh.

Basically, that's all we can do - the most important thing is to monitor their height and weight band over time. It's tough for you because of your daughter's comparison - is your husband tall/you were a late developer but your husband wasn't? Even that aside, your children's height potential is based on the the same variables, so your son has the potential to be taller than your daughter eventually (boys tend to be taller). My husband was also short compared to his sister. Now he's 1.73 - not so tall, but not katek either. But it was quite a blow to his ego when he was growing up!!

hi apricot

i havent tried any enrichment centre that will teach our kids on intelligence math solving yet
sad.gif
when i talk with other mummies who send kids to those centres, it din impress too much ...

i'm jus teaching my gal the maths concepts and twisting the questions around to get her to think herself. then it broadens how one can look at the questions lor. teaching her myself allows me to track her progress better ...

Alcovelet,grateful for ur helpful advices.ya wil monitor over time...my hubby nt v tall too standing at 171cm .Wil load lots of healthy snacks for my boy hope can push his wgt.

Hi mummies!! I have fun today! Thanks Pris for putting the factory visit together. Like Moshi, Bel and me had a good time too.

Glad to help, Angelzk, I remember my own distress last year when I brought my son for an evaluation. One thing about going to the endocrinologist though - you really count your blessings and realize that your own child's problem is really nothing compared to what some of the other kids have to go through ...

Hi Serena and k's mom, we have Hugo Cabret. RK read about half of it before he got creeped out because of the pictures of the automata. I on the other hand love it. Amazing book!! I'm just waiting to see when he'll pick it up again. Keeps asking me to tell him the ending. Like I will!!

Hi Joyful2, am jumping into the conversation here. I haven't been impressed with my friends' kids' classes either, except for Berries. I have a friend who likes MPM though. What are your thoughts on that one?

Alcovelet, pss..I changed my nick. Did you notice? Detected some office lurkers around. Hugo Cabret is a nice book, right? I have been thinking of getting it for a while. Procrastinating. Where did you get yours? I supposed if I buy from Amazon the freight is going to be killing. 500over pages!! Bulky?!!

Hey Periwinkle, didn't get it, duh! Kino!! Beautiful book. But there's this pic of a boy looking out by the side. RK keeps saying - why's he staring at me? I had to turn it the other way, haha!

Alcovelet

MPM looks abit interesting. I went to enquire before too. Your child will be given a workbook to do every session, doing half in class and finishing the other half at home. Each workbook comes with a box of 'tools' to use with it, think it will have like counters,etc.

But upon looking at workbook, my feel is like just doing assessment book. Some qns will be like maths iq, maths concept etc. So I thought not much difference from what I'm doing.

Can check with your friend, is it like this?

My friend loves it. She says it will prepare the child for Pri 1. Her daughter is in K2 - apparently they don't use numbers but a lot of representations. I've never considered it since my son doesn't like classes, and we're doing quite nicely at home anyway. How many kids do you have anyway? Boy or girl?

Back