(2003) Calling all 2003 babies

Hello,
wow, rather impressed that this is really quite an active thread :)

Piano lessons:
Incidentally I started learning the piano real late at 10 years old! But because I started late, I advanced quickly and jumped like 3 grades in the beginning. But I flunked Grade 7 coz really most impt thing abt music is that you must have a musical ear! You know pple who can strum the guitar and pick out chords without ever learning a note? They have it! I just could not for the life of me, distinguish chords and harmonise ha ha! One thing I remember abt piano also is that a lot of studying involved for the theory part... For my own kids, since I believe they also have no true musical genes (hubbie also tone deaf!), will teach them when they are ready, but more for leisure. Maybe no formal classes even... But, yes, believe many little gals all want to tinkle on the piano :) My hubbie also says good for boys to xian za wo (charm the gals)!!

Property:
Sold my Bishan flat coz now property prices high! Bought for 350K, sold at 530K! Crazy! Eyeing Balestier/Whompoa area when I return :) That's why I'm also chatting on the "Mums in TP/Moulmein/Balestier" thread on this forum :)

Hello,
My hotmail and msn IDs are available as part of the profile info on this forum. Ps feel free to connect with me :)

Priscilla,
I did a search on FB, but could not locate your profile. Would you like to try to search for me and make fren request? Hey, I was also a teacher for 3 years (first job). So was Moshi. So we have quite a few teachers/ex-teachers on this thread :)

hi

Mahjong
R is into it and I'm still learning. Count me in if you've a session...

Piano
ky, as Serena said. Practice is the only thing to correct. No worries.

School
Congrats ky!!!!!

Moshi2, you're rite. Lots of hyms and prayers. 'Tian Zu Boa You Ni' that's what R would always say.

Property
hui li
Trying to sell mine too. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Hi HL,

U've got a paper profit over Bishan. Take your time to view the flats. Dont rush in. Hrd prices coming down but valuation of flat going up.

Hi Priscilla
Thks for the info of Reliv.Let me complete my Neurobion course n see if it works on me.

Hi Moo87
My place PP NTUC is selling S$34.60,n my neighbourhood econ selling S$37. Yr boy started spelling test? My dd always very forgetful in sch maybe she is a bit scare or excited. But at hm she is ok know her works. Just imagine she can spell 'sit' as 'sin'.How do make her remember?

Hi Moshi
Thks for the shopping link, me only thinking of buying Counterpain and massage. Hv u book yr hotel.If not can try this newly open http://www.pullmanbangkokkingpower.com/

Hi Hui Li,
Hehe, my BIL is a Taiwanese.
happy.gif

I have a girl, like Moshi.

Hi Ky,
Can 'hear' your relief.
wink.gif
When is B's first day or has he already started? So B will be in the afternoon session?

KY, so you should more relieved now after transferring B.

Star, complete your course. Anyway, I might start my boy with Nowskids which has very good review as a supplement.

Huili, will look for you on facebook when I log in.

KY, regarding about piano. I know that my piano teacher discourage the use of keyboard as it is different from a piano key and when I was learning, I started with piano which the key is heavy and required more energy for the finger to key it. And she also make use do finger stretching exercises.

Hi moshimoshi,

My friend recommended me Mr Yong from Fisherman Music School. He and his wife are the founders and principals of Fisherman Music School. Unfortunately he doesn't teach young kids anymore
sad.gif

Hi Moo and all,

Moo : I hv not decide on the timing. I don't hv anything on saturdays so I am fine with lunch or dinner. I will go with the crowd.

So far, the results are :-

Can go :-
Worry mum (thanks for making the special arrangement ;-) )
Sherlyn
Pris
Moo

Cant make it :-
Moshi

*sigh* its so hard to have everyone. I know I cant keep changing dates, but moshi, any other dates u available?

Anymore better dates then? Lunch or dinner prefered?

cheers
sherlyn

I hope I did not miss anyone who has replied, just too many posts.

Hi Star,

Z has yet to have spelling test in school. But i do give him spelling he spells one to forty now. I will dictate first and get him to spell verbally with min 5x.. after that make him write on a pc of paper.

Hi serenade
ah, mr yong! nice friendly chap. I think the part time teachers there teach the younger kids. frankly, i find the one on one boring, not a fair statement cos' i;ve not attended the class, but the kids don't look excited before the class nor after. but of course, the effectiveness also comes more from the individual instruction.

hi star
my friend got rooms at sheraton under her co. a/c. will probably do the massage at the hotel's spa, can't wait!

hi sher
pl go ahead with the majority, there's always a chance to meet again in june;)

Hi Moshi
happy.gif

Dare not say "teach"... but you free to come to my place with Mel and pound away on my old piano anytime with Ian
happy.gif
That is, once I get my new place... (And I have also recently taken back fr my dad's place my old beginner music books too
happy.gif
)

Hello!
Would like to ask for ideas on how to stay active as a SAHM pls, esp. fr the mums who have stopped work for quite a long period of time. :)

Hi Hui Li,

What a great question. I became a SAHM only in Feb and am starting to wonder where my time has gone!! It seems to centre around doing some work with my son, chatting with him, and then writing on my blog.

Hi Sarah,

Am trying to go on holiday, so we'll have to pass. Tks for organizing!

Is there some outing in May? I think I missed that post.

Hi Alcovet,
Is it ok for you to PM your blog website address to me? I have a blog too. Let's share :) That's one way to keep connected socially with adults...
happy.gif

Hi moshi2!

Sorry for the late reply... Have been on the road again.
happy.gif

Spring break's finally over. Phew! Yeah... I'm the sort of mom who misses her kids terribly when they are in school and then the moment they step into my home, I wish they're back in school again. Haha! But it was really tough, teeth-gritting tough during the one week break from school. I was entertaining them both 24/7, to the extent I felt drained by SUnday afternoon.

Oh yeah... what I meant by La dolce vita is the sweet life... or dolce niente as in sweet idleness of doing nothing here. At least for me, that's the case right now.

Hi Sarah!
Have you been catching up on the US series online now that the strike is over?
Watched the latest Desperate Housewives today, wicked!
Saw your H on alcovelet
happy.gif
She's a natural bowler! Hope she remembers my B and K! Gotta join you mommies next on kiddy bowling!

Hi Hui Li!
Welcome!
Me, SAHM like you too, but on the other side of the globe, in Europe. I got a blog to share too! Let's exchange address...
What do you mean by staying active as SAHM?
Physically or mentally?
I go to the gym to stretch my back and blog and keep up with friends' blogs to keep my mind sane... Dread going back to work one day... gee, that reminds me I need to settle some issues with my employer, urgently.

Hi Serena!
You sure you don't want to teach piano?
I will send K to you. But probably until she's more ready like 5 or 6.

Hi alcovelet!
Planning a trip to Legoland on May 1st? ;)
I'm planning a getaway too... am thinking of Black Forest but wondering if it's overbooked already. Running out of ideas on going somewhere for 4D/3N.
I was driving back from Munich for the first time on the German Autobahn, 1/2 stretch. Yeah... never muttered enough guts until on Saturday - practice drive since we plan to drive to Spain this summer. Momentarily hit 180km/h when a car started to tailgate me at no speed-limit stretch... never, never again!!!!! Previously I only drove furthest to Wiesbaden, just about 30 min away from Frankfurt.

Hi Chloe!
When will you be in London in Aug? Maybe we could meet up. Really am considering to postpone trip since dh will be working in Jul and not be able to spend time with us.

Hi K's mom,

Yes yes, let's meet up in london!! I'll be there 9-24 aug. First week will be in london just C & I while dh's occupied. 2nd week we'll explore out of london with dh.

Hi Hui Li,
I've got a blog too. PM you later.

Date: Thursday, May 1
Time: 9am
Venue: picnic @ botanic gardens

Yes!
1) sarah
2) chloe
3) serena & bel

Hey, worry mum & sherlyn join us!!!

K mom, after you're back, the thread seems to be abuzz again!! Sorry need to turn down your request, can't teach but K is welcome at my house especially when belle seems to adore her!!

BTW, my dh is going outstation soon and when he was there previously he bought a korean show DVD for me. It was dirt cheap at only S$5. I won't say which country here. Now that he's going there again, he wants to get me more. Can any mummies who watched korean shows let me know what other shows are worth to catch it? May be Pris can help me? Please also recommend good English shows if any. Many thanks!!

Sherlyn, you want any HK shows? Let me know, I get my hubby to buy for you?

Serena,
Just a word of cautious.. those DVD is it licenced and from a bridge acrossed country? As heard of a true story that if is not licenced, better dont bring in. sway sway caught by customs, they will go to your house search, each DVD/VCD is $1k fine.....

Hi k's mom
guess as what serenade has guessed, u really were on the move.
180km.h? u speed demon! haha, the fastest i clocked was 140km.h.
what's black forest? what to see/do there?
sounds mysterious, n reminds me of black forest cake hehe

hi serena
while u are keen on k-soap, i am thinking of getting j-ones.

meilan
do u watch jap-soap?

hi alcovelet
national musuem on 26 may?
and lots more in june, being the sch hols.

hi huili
physically active, long walks with hub (when we feel like it)
mentally? basically dreaming of holiday destinations, whoahahaha
go ask someone else.

hi worrymom
what;s the kindergarten profile abt? thanks.

hi serena
when, in your opinion, is the 'right' age to start the kid on piano?

Hi alcovelet & hui li

what's your blog address? can pm to me? a number of us have blogs and I think it's included in the PLU link. So of our blogs are protected though.

hui li ... like to know wat's your opinion of being active as a SAHM. u've got 2 kids, so you should be rather active too, but as a SAH Mum right?

Sarah ... ya, what's this kiddy bowling abt? there's a cheap bowling place at bkt batok side n might just try it out with B.

serena/pris ... tx for the advice on the fingering. have found a cheap electone and we are getting it. true that practice does helps and right now, I'm just leaving B to practise on his own, and so letting him do it on the electone will hopefully get him to adjust better than the keyboard ... perhaps i'll capture the video for those who are keen to know what i mean. later.

.ky.

moshi2,
The kindergarten profile is for u to check whether the school is providing qualified teacher or not.. as the govt will be implementing new qualifications requirement.

ky,
Bt Batok cheap bowling place? where? please enlighten me....
happy.gif

Hi Moshi

Do post here for any outings/activities in the Jun hols... I'm going through some major changes within the household, but nothing much has been confirmed. That means I can't lead anything ... I'll try to make it as long as my schedule can fit. I'm going to National Museum earlier ... I think 1 May, so will probably skip that.

.ky.

Hi Worry Mum, Ky,
The bowling alley is at Yishun. Yes, faraway but you know, some alleys are rather 'complicated', no offence to anyone.

Hi K's mom,
Welcome back! And what a road adventure you had. More on blog?

Hehe, I'm back to watching my HKG and Korean dramas. Got to cut down PC time else ache gets friendly again.

H vaguely remembers K, not B. Yes,yes, we shall go bowling again when you return!
wink.gif

Me? Been work-free for 1.5 years. But only last 6 mths had maid in Taipei, before that too busy with chores, adapting to life here and learning the ropes of cooking (only learnt to cook here!) to even ponder the question.

Anyway not fair to ask me in a sense coz i overseas, so life is still somewhat different and not so routine
happy.gif
More worried abt when I return to SG and kids older (my gal still at home with me, she's 2)...

Not sure leh. That's why I asked the question. One way is to be more so-called thick skinned and proactively make frens/maintain frenships. Online is a great way -- I also hooked up with some mums in Taipei this way.

Also thinking of courses/part-time work when I return, but nothing confirmed. Challenge is to remain positive and have confidence in yourself and be grateful for all that you have always
happy.gif

sure, ky, will u posted of the outings in june.

worrymom, thanks. mel's sch has qualified teachers in the sense that they all hv a diploma. in fact, two very senior and experienced not to mention caring and passionate teachers were asked to leave last yr simply beause they are not 'qualified'. well, they were asked to study, but what use if u are are already in ur fifties, and all u want to do is do what u love, to teach. some leeway should be allowed in this case i feel, perhaps deploy them as teachers only for the pre-nursery level.

huili, see, u are already active by joining us!
perhaps u can start a sch or something and kindly include me in your staff list. i m serious! i certainly want to work more and start saving for holidays which i am so deprived of for the last few yrs!

Date: Thursday, May 1
Time: 9am
Venue: picnic @ botanic gardens

Yes!
1) sarah
2) chloe
3) serena & bel
4) moshi reporting!
5) serenade

Moshi,
u think too highly of me
happy.gif
I worker ant type, not an entrepreneur! You let me know if got lobang too ok? But I am quite bored with giving tuition and never was a good stand-up teacher ;P

So nice can go Botanic Gdns tog... Love that place! But swans still around? ;P

Kidding! U pple drive at 140/180 km/h (even if overseas)?! I hppn to conform to stereotype of lousy (sometimes indecisive, no spatial sense) woman driver, hee hee.

Hi Hui Li

I've been staying at home for coming to 4 years, and frankly, I find life at home more enriching than at work, even without me doing much.

At home, you plan your schedule, what you want to do, who you want to meet, you set your own priority, and basically you are your own boss. And with that, I tend to meet various people, whether online or in person more and actually "see" more things. This in comparison at work but then it depends what kind of work you do; I guess mine was kinda boring.

For Part-time work, you can consider being relief teacher in the neighbourhood schools eventually. One neighbour's doing that and she's getting insights of how schools differs now that she's doing it. Or consider doing something that's your hobby; many started with online stores ... btw, I have a home-based job and though most people think I'm fortunate to have it (and yes, I think so) but it's a job that comes with pros and cons ... and that means I've deadlines to meet, and basically "meeting" people that I don't like to meet.

Worry_Mum,
I find in Singapore, qualifications is a dammed big deal ... so big that people forgot about other aspects of the person - the character, the experience, the love for the job. It boils down to how much our govt value a piece of paper over anything else ... what a wonderful country we live in.

.ky.

KY,
Ya,
sad.gif
I strongly agreed with you. Sometimes experience are much an important factor to look at too!. Sadly, due to this changes, that's why my B's school keep changing of teacher!
sad.gif
sad.gif

Moshi, geez...right age to start piano? I m about to start Bel soon. Theory first though. I want her to have some background on the history of different eras. Especially the baroque period. If I can still squeeze in extra time!! Sometimes I really wish I'm a SAHM!!Argh!! Anyway, think 5 going to 6 is a nice age. This is the time they understand simple playing instructions that I won't tear my hair apart!! I wanted Bel to learn the double bass. It's so mellow and it has so much soul and character. But I only know Piano so I will just be less ambitious... I think kids who starts learning at 3 are just making a racket and just getting associate with the piano. Only child prodigy could play at 3 like Lang Lang for example. Yes and it's true about the touch. An acoustic piano feels different from a electrone. Parents usually don't invest till they are quite sure that their kids are really "into" it. Another way to combat this is to rent piano from music school. They go by hours used and when there's no class.

Worry mum, ha...not from Malaysia. Don't worry. It's much much further than that. My hubby will not be able to find business in Malaysia.

Sarah, what Korean shows you're watching now? Tell me leh!!! Don't keep it to yourself!! Share lah!!!

Hi Moshi & Sarah,

How are you? Been awhile since I popped in here... Josh still remembers Mel and Hannah and will always remind me abt the gathering whenever we drive by Sarah's place. Hah. Almost a year ago...

hello minnie!
was just thinkg abt u few days ago! strange how ur name pops up in my mind!
how;s handsome josh??
how abt joining us for picnic on 1 may? details above.

hi huili
no lousy driver la. mantra is "practice makes perfect.' cliche but always true!

hi serena
do u see any difference between a child who is learning a musical instrument and one who is not? how can music-learning benefit a child?
must the child attain mastery?

Back