(1999) calling all 1999 babies

Hi Bishanmu,
how's your son doing since joining learning point? as my son is very weak in his compo, compre, but i guess learning point they spilt the 2 courses and also what abt the class size . As my boy always day dreaming..

Hi DLP,

My son is doing very well in Learning Point. They teach everything in one course but emphasize more on compo and compre. The class size is abt 10-12.

Hi mummies,

I am from the Aug08 MTB thread. Sorry to interrupt but my friend who wks in a market research company is urgently looking for a mother aged between 25-45 with a child in Pri 1-4 for a survey. The mother will be paid $70 and the group survey will be held on 1 April, tuesday at 6.45pm. If keen, pls PM me.

Thanks

Hi Bishanmum,
ok tks, in that case i'll call them to find out more details. V. worried... as my son's exam is approaching..

Hi DLP,

I can understand your worries, same here. Whenever my son has exams, I always can't sleep well, especially when he started P1. Gradually I try to relax a bit, don't put so much stress on myself.

hi mummies,

Always remember grade is not the most thing to look for in your child, we also need to teach them to grow up with right values and attitude and other area like social skills, EQ etc..so relax and enjoy the growing up journey with your child.

hi,

it's been a loooonnnnggg time since i last come to this thread.
happy.gif

can i just ask, is it true that if a child fails his chinese, he can still proceed? means he can still go on to Pr4, Pr5 and so on? What about after pri sch? same as in sec & jc?

my boy still can't cope wif chinese
sad.gif

any advise? TIA!

Yes, he will still proceed to the next level. The school had also segregated those students with good CL grade and those weaker ones. Dont be dishearted, my son failed his Chinese when he is in Pr 3. And now he is in Pr 5. He passed his P4 CL as well as P5 SA1.

RJJ, what subjects did your son fail? you might wish to check with his teacher in school whether he's listening in class or daydreaming... and whether the school is doing anything to help him.

Hi mummies

I have a kid that is in p3.Her math sa paper came back and the downfall is three questions in section c, without drawing proper model, so get it wrong....anyone has got good place or recommendation as in how to consolidate the concept?thanks

HAHA....My boy fail Chinese. He sure is daydreaming... he admitted himself.... and can tell me he hates it....

Not too sure if the school is doing anything for him, but he is not in the good chinese class for sure....

Other subjects are fine, but still results drop lor compare to CA1

Hi Chole,

I thot models are not impt in Pr3? At least that is what my boy teacher told me. But they will want to kids to try drawing them as it will become impt when they are in the upper Pr like Pr5/6.

Kids mostly don't like to draw models just like mine.... but i think they just need lots of practice and will soon get a hold of it, which is why we always 'force' my boy to draw them

Hi Mummies,
my son did not do well in his math too. Section C was badly done ! Some of the Qs are rather tough , quite tricky. As now they are also learning how to solve by units. I nearly vomit blood explaining to him. Has anyone got any recommendation for Math tuition? thanks.

DLP

My gal also down by three problem sums.Lucky the rest are correct....when she got stuck mentally, she try to use model, but daily no practise, figures pluck wrongly...and that is why...This one whole week, am reading into model.

Your son from which school?

RJJ
If the kid is able to visualise, its ok, if cannot, better draw.

Chinese
You must try to get back his interest and make chinese a fun learning subject. I did that to my gal for the first time this year, she make it.

Hi Mummies!

I really need help in choosing Maths tuition/enrichment for my P2 son. His teacher recommended KUMON.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Kumon very high commitment leh. I am thinking of dropping Kumon once my girl goes P1. Impossible to nag nag nag, unless your kid can auto pilot, otherwise you will be super stressed.

Chole & DLP,

My P3 son also lost 4 marks for one of the questions in Section C because he was too lazy to draw model. I am also looking for a good Maths tuition centre for him.

Today went to book shop, found this book challenging problems by andrew er, testing on concept quite good, unlike the fat BOOK by him which is very wordy and confusing....I was hesistant to buy the challenging problems book but bought it and tried it on my gal, its quite good in reinforce concepts and the model is easy to understand.

Hippo2002
I heard kids that go to kumon math cannot be that bad. Think quite true.There is one exceptional, due to her carelessness, her mum is the franchiser of kumon but she did not do well this time...maybe a miss....

the prob wif my boy is he thinks he can visualised... of cos there are plenty of carelessness lor....

Maths is all about practice... at least that is what i believe. i remember when i was young, i also keep practising until i see the question only i know what to do. i bought the book challenging problems too... very good indeed, but boy too lazy, simply refuse to do...

Kumon is also all about practising. Do the assessments day in day out, right?

Hi Chole,

How you make Chinese interesting? How to make it fun? My boy see chinese only like see monster, he shuts off automatically... how to switch him on?

Can share a trick or two?

my girl is doing fraction now. I think no point being so advanced since she's only K2.

I feel that it's more important to have an in-depth understanding of each topic to handle any question no matter how it turns & twists

but Kumon is like keep going on & on to new topics, not that in-depth lor

nevertheless, Kumon is good in the sense it allows the child to progress at her own pace

but very shiong for parents, I need to nag & nag & sit right next to her. very high commitment

Chloe

any recommendation on models books?

by the way, Andrew Er has 2 learning centers, one in Kovan, one in Bukit Timah

anyone tried his learning centers?

RJJ
My gal also refused to do and just now I forced her to do some questions, again, she thinks she is very smart, true enough , never draw model, get it wrong, draw already,incorrect...see , I corrected her...

Chinese
I make it fun, by let her goes to some chinese camp and while teaching her,show her some of the character, why is it certain side of it is written in this way etc....At the same time, knowing her compo was weak, i time her and make her finished it within the time limit...and teach her what are the standard way people use to structure their sentences...lucky she catch it or i see lighting....just hope she see light in math after mummy is putting lots of effort into it...me zombie after so much math model this week....

Hippo
I go a long long way to see a bit of light, you can try reading into some of andrew er assessment book...no point attending workshop on model drawing as it only gives you a rough idea, the only way you can get it is to do lots of lots question and gets the exposure which am still working on it....

I let my boy went to one of such camp last Dec... he came back saying it's so lame.... so easy etc.... ggrrrr.....

Will find more of such camps and send him again. Thx

RJJ,
You may want to make the words into cards and use that to play games with him. eg,play snapping game, see who can read the word faster, the one who can read out loud gets to keep the card. Or use the words to form phrase...something along that line...but parents need to be involved.

good idea, will try during school holiday....

Actually now everytime we talk about chinese, we both end up black face
sad.gif

Hi All

So much about chinese and math, can we talk about science?

My gal teacher only managed to speed up the syllubus and finished it one week before exam.As we got no clue how the paper gonna be as there is a change in syllubus so I just run through nine top school paper one day before her exam.

Her school mean mark for science is 79.7 and class mean is 92.4 and my gal has 91, so fall below mean in class...

One of the kid scored 97, second highest in class and her mum secret is keep talking to her about science and the key concept...

Anyone has got advice to share how best we can help them in it, or is there a good reference book?thanks

I hv no problem wif Science, at least for now. My boy loves science, he reads them on his own. So I din get any assessment books on science...

Sorry can't help

Hi Mommies,
recap to all your topics!!!
Math-I have thought of Andrew Er too but I think they are quite popular,most of the classes are full.
I have bought 1 of his assessement book too, quite embarassing to say some also I can't solve i think maybe I can post the Q and see who's the math expert here..
happy.gif

Kumon-my son has tried during K1/K2 days. It's good but I drop him later due to the repetitive worksheets as he actually took the last worksheets to copy the answers.
Hence not sure if is recommenable but one thing for sure he can count v. fast.
Chinese - my son also in borderline case. thought of trying Berries. Any comment ?
Science- My boy also loves science but unfortunately he doesnt bother to read.. i think a lot of exposure is needed.. if not will be memorising that plays a part.

Hi bishanmum (bishanmum) ,
about the learning point centre, so sad ...
my K2 boy actually failed the assessment test and was not able to enrol. I felt a bit disappointed as I have seen the program which I find it quite good. But the assessor said they do not want to demoralise the kid if he can't catch up with the others, which I also agreed what she said. I think I'll have to polish his skills to prepare for their P1 course.

Hippo

One at simei, east point mall.

Berries is good for young kids,more for exposure for the language...if come p3,you wanna have some depth, berries is out.Anyone try hua language?

hippo,
Learning point is located at eastpont, 3rd level,
they have another branch in Thomson Plaza.

Chloe, hm in that case maybe I will enrol my K2 boy for berries.. never hear of Hua but seems they have received several awards.

Hi all

How is holidays?

Did you bring your children to anywhere for holidays or busy catching up with school works?

Hippo2002
Heard its a great movie?I brought my kids to sentosa and there is a 30 percent off for entry to under water world and they had a great time....did bring them to T3 to run around...young one is excited to take MRT.....

haiz.... so bz wif work, no chance to take leave....

Is Sentosa a good choice to go???

Thinking of bringing my boys to watch kungfu panda next week, weekend vry ex leh.... hehehe

Chole

my girls enjoyed the movie. dd2 laughed so loudly
lol.gif

RJJ

Cathay has mums & tots promotion
if one of your boys below 7 yo, buy 1 ticket, free admission for your younger boy
valid for showtime before 2pm Mon to Fri
can check cathay website for details

Hi DLP,

Sorry to hear that your son could not enrol into Learning Point. How was the assessment paper set? My son joined them when he was already in P1 because we were under waiting list. If I'm not wrong, they required him to write a few sentences based on a picture given.

For Science, I agree that if the child loves the subject and reads a lot, it will definitely help in his studies. My P3 son is a good example, he loves Science since young and even asked me why P1 & P2 no Science. He also reads a lot of Science books and magazines like Young Scientist.

Btw, how many children do you have and how old are they?

Thank Hippo. But my #2 is 7yo... but #3 is only 1+. so no benefit to us, right
sad.gif

I think bring them sentosa they will be thrill... need to find some time take 1 day leave

Hi Mommies
yeah brought my sons to watch KungFu panda too, nice show.. really have a good laugh out of it..

Hi All

School term has started for a month, how is everyone and kids....

Noticed teacher still very slow pace in science....what about yours?

Hi Joy747,

My son's teacher just finished teaching Life Cycles. I understand that different schools choose different topics for their P3 & P4 students from the new Science syllabus? How about your child?

Hello, can I check if anyone has been recommended by Hokkien Huay Kuan for phase 2B registration? I just knew that being their members is not enough, still need to apply for phase 2B thru them and it is subjected to their recommendation...
Is it easy to get recommended? Pl help. thanks!

Hi mommies

when would the child be required to take CCA?

Is CCA compulsory or optional?

if that CCA is not available in school (eg. gymnastics), can we take private lessons & still count towards one CCA?

Thanks for your advice
happy.gif

hey hippo2002,

yup .. taking piano lessons (not casual lessons but formal ones where you take the theory exams) and ballet (where you take the exams every year) for example - can count as CCA. My friend who's a teacher confirmed it for me.

as for when ... well, if you're taking ballet or piano outside, then chances are you would already have started your child on them as early at 7 years old ...

Back