Speech delay development

xiaoZ

hi, my LO is 25 mths old. He refused to talk and can only says mama, school, apple. And only point to things and says hmm or ahh at times. He attend PG and the teacher says it normal and mentioned that Some kids don't talk til 4yrsold. He understands wat others says and can recognize lots of words by pointing at them when asked too. He enjoys flashcards too. I try reading lots of books to him and he enjoys the storytelling session. Any advice on how to encourage him to talk and when should I formally seek professional help like speech therapist? Thanks

In my opinion i think that it's a little too early to look for a speech therapist. My son was 28 months old but he could only say mama and dada, nothing else. We think that it was because we were exposing him to too many languages at a time (English at home, Mandarin with the grandparents and mix of hokkien + cantonese). We stopped and focused mainly on English now, and a few months later he started adding more vocab into his list of words now :) Could yours be the same case too? Do give it a try! ^^ All the best mummy!

Hi, my younger son who is 26+ months is similar. Only says a few words. No problem with the papa mama gege ah ma, popo, etc. But other than those and apple or a rare few I might have missed out... he doesn't want to say much else. I know he understands but he seems unwilling to speak much. His elder brother started speaking more at this age.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just try your best to encourage him to speak. Rather than give him a bottle of milk when he points or makes baby talk for it.. try and slow down and encourage him to say "milk" or equivalent preferred language.

@xiaoZ ,

I forgot to ask you... is your son physically advanced? If so, it might infer his physical side is developing quicker first. That's the situation my younger son is in. He is exceptionally good at balancing, climbing and very strong.

I'd also recommend tryng out LeapFrog educational DVDs. These are some of the best videos to show your child if you're going to show anything at all. Start with the "Letter Factory" DVD. My son loves it. You can also try the "Pirates Ahoy" DVD for counting 1-10. The songs and music are fantastic and get even adults (me) into the rhythm!

some kids start talking at a later stage. dun worry mama, each kid develops at their own pace. for my kid, i engage in interactive reading and flashcards teaching. they pick up languages from the parents/caregiver so they will learn somehow. jiayou mummy!

Back