(2001) calling all 2001 babies

Hello Jess,

I am also keen to know how to improve Science. But I guess it requires lots of practice and understanding of the topics? Also, students usually missed out the keywords when answering and thus losing marks. My DS loves to answer in his own words which is not what the markers are looking for...they want the keywords! Sigh...

Hi Spanielpups,

It seems that marks are always lose out to those questions that require them to answer. My boy when you ask him he can explain to you but when he answer the marker did not accept his answer. That is to say bascially they understand but only the answer being expressed is not acceptable. Keep losing marks on those.... sigh....

ah jess, ah spanielpups: one thing i learnt from the maths & science workshop in kai's school abt 4 weeks b4 the exams was tt we need to keep revising past year papers & other assessments w them especially the MCQ. only when they master the MCQ then we can think of helping them score well in the section B. it's really v difficult to score well in section B but if they can just pass & get almost full marks for MCQ, it's a v high band 2 already. kai got 54/60 for MCQ. so tho he just passed his section B, he's still in band 2 for science, above average in his class. the top boy has mastered both already tho - top marks was 92
happy.gif

Hi mummy,

My sis has a daughter whom is 10 years old. She has difficulties looking for shoes for her girl. Her girl has outgrown the children shoe and found adult shoe is too mature. Any idea where to buy?

Thanks.

Hi Olwen,jessie,spanielpups.

Very fast hor... school going to reopen soon!!! Do enjoy yourself becos a few more days we hv to go back to our hectic lifestyle..
sad.gif

My boy science wasn't good in answering open-ended questions too. He tends to lose marks and only remedy is he needs to read lots of science notes.

Thanks for your tips, Olwen. I'll get M to practice more on MCQ & section B. Good to hear that Kai scored Band 2 in his science!!! Keep it up!!
happy.gif

Jessie: Wow.. Math is quite diff to score nowadays! Good to hear that your boy did a good job!! Hahah! I hate math so I can't teach. This diff task have to leave it to his tutor to coach him.

Hi Olwen/spanielpups,

Good to hear that both your kids are finally "kai qiao"!!
happy.gif
Mine, still have to wait and wait... don't know when???
sad.gif

hi fion!

gosh, the thread is so quiet. yes, science is something tt they can actually score if they put a big of effort. i heard psle science paper is easier than maths.

Hi Mummies,

Any good EL tutor to recommend? My son existing tutor is going to US for long term. I need to find replacement. Thanks in advance.

Hi Olwen, Fion

Fion : My ds only kai qiao on Chinese handwriting..the English handwriting still need some practice. As for EL tutor, can't help on that as I only send my ds for Creative Writing only. The rest like Grammar, Vocab,Synthetis, etc is purely drilling and practicing on assessment books.

Olwen, Science can be easily scored if they answer according to what the markers want to see, i.e the keywords. My ds is very stubborn and prefers to answer in his own words, thus losing marks.

Hi Olwen, Fion & Spanielpups,

How's everyone?

Fion, I'm also looking for EL tutor to teach my ds especially on his writing. If you found one please share with me.

Spanielpups, where did you send your ds for creative writing? Is it good?

Hi spanielpups, Jessie & Olwen.

I'm very sway... keep looking for tutor
sad.gif
1st tutor was good but she wanted to shift her hse to CCK which I can't go to her place as is too far fr where I stay. Now the 2nd tutor wanted to move even far away to USA, sigh... I wonder how's the 3rd one situtation?? going to space, hahah
happy.gif
Really very tired of looking for a good tutor...

Jessie: If I can find a good tutor, sure will recommend you.
happy.gif
How's your kid coping?

spanielpups: How do you train your ds? Mine handwriting still look ugly... Is it really help if send him to creative writing? I wanted to try, being tired of looking out for tutor..

Hi Fion,

Your tutors' moves reminds me of a lady which we interviewed years ago. She said she very suay coz she worked in 3 companies and all closed down due to poor business. We were thinking if we employed her, will our company also suffer the same fate as the other 3 companies. Haha.

For Creative Writing, I think it is all about what the kids had learnt and putting it in good used. My ds still prefer his own way of writing so not much improvement and I am beginning to feel that I am wasting $$!

For handwriting, my ds went for this Smart Moves programmes by Brain Fit Studio. He went during the Dec school holiday and goes daily (except Weekend). Really got impovement in Chinese writing but English still need room for improvement. At least for numbers, I can differentiate his 4 and 9, 3 and 5, 0 and e thus making less mistakes in math papers.

Hi mummies,

Knowing that some mummies are full-time working mom. How do you manage their homework or school work? Do you go thru with them daily?

Hi spanielpups,

Poor lady, she must be tired of looking out!! Hope she get a good one
happy.gif
hmm... Smart Moves Progm? I never heard of it, where is the location? Expensive? Thinking of give it a try. It's really make my blood pressure shot up when I see his handwriting!! His maths always make careless mistakes becos of his ugly handwriting. His number 3 always mistaken as 2!!!
sad.gif

Hi Fion! hey did u change your nick? worry28297? wah, don't so negative lah
happy.gif

oh, i don't do any work with my kids at all. too tired end of the day. as long as they don't climb to the top tier of the grille door under my watch, it's good enough.

ah spanielpups: yup, but tt said, the science now is a lot more difficult than what we learned for psle in our time
sad.gif

ah jessie: my mum teaches kai all his subjects except chinese. so i haven't had to find tutor for him besides chinese. so far.

Hi Olwen,

No, I didn't change my nickname
happy.gif
You are so lucky that your mom help you. How abt chinese you didn't go thru his work and he has no qns to ask you? Sometimes I really want to let it go and let him manage his work by himself but I'm afraid if I totally let it go... will it become better or worse?? I dare not to take the challenge leh....
sad.gif

Hi All
Just like to ask my son seem to understand the subjects given. But he is weak in vocabulary and comprehension for both English and Chinese. He is now in P3 only starting science this year. How to help him improve English, Chinese and science. His math is good, but always make careless mistake which pulls his mark down. Any advise will be good.

Thanks

Hi mums of 2001 babies!
How have you all been? Another year to PSLE, boo...not looking forward to this at all. Has anyone noticed how much their workload has increased now?
Quick question for working parents - how do you organise your child's school holiday time if you're unable to take leave? How do you plan activities and meaningful programmes while you're at work? If possible, can I ask the working mums some questions? Thanks all!!!

Hi all mummies,

So long never log into this forum. How is everyone?

Hi Erniza,

Indeed this year they have more workload as the school is preparing them for next year PSLE.

I put my child in day care centre while I'm work. The centre will provide tuition for them even on school holiday. If possible, I will take day leave to accompany him or bring him out. During June/Dec school holiay, if there are any good holiday programmes, I will enrol him in.

Hi all

May I ask where do you get clothes for your 11 year old? My son is quite tall, he is at this awkard size/age that kids shop don't have his size, adult shop size too big. Any recommendation? do you face the same problem? esp shoe, he is wearing female adult smallest for the time being!

Hi ekhoo,

For my boy I will get the kids biggest size for him. Eg Bossini I will get size 160. Shoe, now he and I can share. He must get adult smallest size. During CNY I brought him to buy shoe and the sales assistant was asking me how old is he that he needs to get an adult size shoe
sad.gif

Hi all,

Another year to PSLE! I see that I'm feeling more stressed than my son
sad.gif

Do your children's grades drop drastically this year? My boy does! He used to do well in English and Maths but not this year
sad.gif

Hi Jesslyn

Yes, another year to PSLE!!! My ds is very calm about it whereas the mommy is worried to death! There is drop in grades and improvement as well for SA1. I have just found out weeks ago the school is moving to another location to make way for school renovation and it has to be June next year (PSLE year!!) sigh!

Hi Erniza,

I just happened to realise you are Bradley's mummy? Ian Tan is my boy's name, and both Adeline's boy and mine are in the same 5E class as yours? Is Bradley formerly also from Little Skool House Frankel? Ian & Bradley used to be in same class!

Hi mummies,

My boy's grades have dropped to abt 68 marks for all subjects
sad.gif

He normally scores abt 80.

At a loss how to motivate him as he's very negative.

Hi all

My eldest child is P5 this year too. I also experience the same thing, all her grades dropped compared to P4. She does not have tuition and I'm the one coaching her. Trying very hard, often stumped by her Maths questions. May I know how do you revise Maths and Science with your child? For Maths, I let her do other schools' exam papers. Science, I found it very wide, need many reference books. Is it the same for you?

Hi all,

I'm new to this site & have been looking for current thread relating to 2001's babies. This is the only thread that I can find that is still so-called active. Is there any other thread that I can go to for the 2001's babies?

Hi All,

Is there any after school student care in Concord Primary school or any nearby it student care Centre so my child can go after school hour when we work? Thanks

Back