(2001) calling all 2001 babies

libralim

Hi all,

Would like all to share all yr child (year 2001) progress.. currently my son is in full time child care and me a full time working mum. I am always worry that I don't spend enough time with him.. can anyone share your feel? thanks

Hi, my son is born in year of snake, currently attending PAP. I am also FTWM, only spend an hr or two at nite with him and the weekend. Pls PM me as I do not always check the site.

Hi, have PM you
happy.gif

me also worry. My daughter is in 4hr kindergarten class and her mid-yr rpt is horrible, behaving badly (rude, not listening in class, poor hygiene). For academic also got complains (not recognising the sounds of a-z, not recognise simple words, etc).
Frankly speaking. I am WORRIED
sad.gif
and don't know what to do ? What is the right expectation ? I does not want to pressurise nor do I want to let her lag behind too much.

Can we share our worries ?

Hi yap, my son is in 3hrs PAP session. Sch does not teach spelling and the worksheets look very simple...have spoken to the school rep and they told me that MOE has discourage spelling at their age. The emphasis is on concept and recognise words instead. I enrol my son to phonics classes as I was worried that he can't recognise and read early this year. Now he is better. I coach him at nite and weekend too. read lots of story books to him and let him read after you, that can help. Can consider to send her to phonics class too. Flash card helps too, if she can sit and let you flash the cards...my son bochap, so does not work on him
sad.gif

Hi Grace, which sch is yr son in, I'm surprise they teaches spelling.

Hi Yap, guess all parents have high expectation on their child.. why don't you try flashing flash cards to your daughter.. and of course u have to do that regularly.. perhaps your daughter is lack of concentration and we cannot depend on Kindergarten to teach them, we hv to do a lot of teaching and sharing at home with them too.. As I am a FTWM, I try to spend like half an hour a day with him on book or assignment, flash cards, or boardgame.. sometime is very tiring for me.. but what to do.. practise make perfect.. if you are keen on flash card, I could email some to you (I download them from another forum)

Hi marmin, have PM you.. hear from you soon..

Hi all, my boy is 5, attends 3hrs church kindergarten. the sch had juz started giving them spelling this term. they started with simple words like one - ten, with 3 words each time, but its not weekly basis.

my boy has been attendin speech n drama at lorna whiston since jan and juz started phonics class this term (its extra lesson at the kindergarten). are 5yrs old supposed to be able to read on their own? he's rather slack in terms of academic. he doesnt like to write n draw. any advices??

Hi GL, could you send me the flash cards pls.

Jolyn, can u pls activate yr PM?

For a 5 yrs old kid to read on their own is not easy.. how abt sharing wif him some colourful pictures book or maybe those cartoon characters he likes? Like my son, he likes Power Rangers, I normally try to download from the web (if any), if can't find then will go buy... we read the book/magazine together then I'll suggest that we draw the characters. Sometime, we paint together (using watercolour). It may be messy but is quite fun. Give him the freedom to play the colours around and he will enjoy it. (maybe u might wan to put some newspapers on the floor or perhaps do this activity in the kitchen)
happy.gif

Hi all, my girl is 5 and in K1 now. I strongly recommend this school can "I can read". It's a English enrichment class where they teaches phonics. My daughter has attended the class since she was in nursery. Now, she can read any story by herself and also doing spelling now. Sometimes, she will even correct my language too.

Jolyn, did u got the flash cards?

Hi Joyful, I heard a lot about "I can read", and most of them have positive feedback.. what do they teach ah? My son, can read very simple book only, but very lazy lei.. always must movivate him one lei.. although he can read some of the simple books, but I found that he got some problems in pronnouncing words.. his phonics not very good lei..

Anyone can recommend me ways to improve. Thanks

Dear mummies,
Sorry for the interuption. My girl is in K1 and I would like to let her to learn ice-skating. If you are interested to let your kids to learn, pls see & reply the topic "Ice-Skating course".
Tks.

Hi Marmin, my girl attend the I can read at Woodlands.

GL, agree with Marmin, do consider to send you son there too. Confirm you don't regret. Check out this website: www.icanreadsystem.com

BTW, I want to send my girl to Chinese enrichment class. Anyone got one school to recommend? Thanks.

Hi Joyful, my boy age 5 too, attending the "Ai de bo le" yu wen zhong xin, principle is zhang mei xiang. Not bad, he learn his stroke well. Now trying to recognise words.

Marmin, Joyful,

After both yr highly recommendation, I brought my son to 'I can read' in Sengkang for assisgnment. I was not very impressed with the Teacher or rather the centre, but still sign my son for the course which will be starting next wk. The teacher said that my son's phonics for the first sound is ok, but is rather week on the 2nd & 3rd sound. Hopefully, after 6 months I can see improvements.

Planning to bake cake together with my son on this Friday cos his Childcare centre will be closed. Actually is quite interesting, the last time, we bake cookies together, and it turns out quite nice..
happy.gif
maybe u might want to try ...

Hi GL, thanks for the flash cards and happy baking! do share with us your son's progress @ "i can read" ya.. and if the program is really good. i called up the sch b4, but didnt bring my son for the assessment. dun feel comfortable with the way they grade the children.. think will be too stressful on myself!! keke.. currently my boy is enjoyin his speech n drama class. my priority nw is to build up his confidence as i feel that he usually need to "warm up" with new faces and places, even my frens whom he knows.

Can anyone share yr views abt the phonics classes offered by the kindergarten? whats the diff compared to those lessons by enrichment sch such as "i can read"

Hi,

My second son was born in Sept 2001. I didn't send him to any school as myselft teaching the homebased classes. He is doing pretty well in English, Maths and Chinese. I taught him abacus since 3 years old and he can do calculations until 2 digits. I teach him chinese using flashcards and he learns pretty fast. Perhaps I am lucky.

Hi feifei, how do you teach chinese, strokes or recognise words, my son can't read simple chinese sentence yet. I just started to do show him some flash cards but like no progress leh...pls share. Tks

Hi marmin,

Does your son know how to speak Mandarin? If yes, perhaps it's easier. U may try some words that he understands, eg, "I like mummy" (wo xi huan ma ma). One card with one character and flash it fast. That's how I teach my students and kids. It's effective and kids enjoy it.

Hi all

I am looking for a good English tutor to teach creatie writing for my boy. My boy loves to write stories but he always makes a lot of mistakes, anyone I can approach?

Thanks in advance

Hi Ning
Hv PM you the website link, plse check yr mail.

Hi Thesisen,
how old is yr boy? He can write stories..wow.. my boy can't even read a story book by himself. You can check out British Council, heard they are pretty good.

Thanks for the info, GL, my boy is 5 year old now. I think he learnt to write because his kindergarten uses a phonics systems which also encourages children to form words through 'sounding' out the letters. But we only speaks Chinese at home so I hope to find someone to help him. I will call British Council now.;)

Hi GL,

I am from 2003 thread. Happen to click this thread and I found many interesting topics eg I can read and flashcards. I am inquiring abt I can read from Heartland mall branch and do u think it is good ?

I am also now flashing cards to my son. I DIY tem or buy avail flashcards from Popular. Will u be able to provide the flashcards you download from anothe forum ? I usually get my sources from sgparenting. Just hoping to find more ways to download flashcards. Thanks so much
happy.gif

Hi GL,

Can you please PM me the website link on the flash card?

Hi Thesisen,

Your son is great. My son likes to write letters. But the only words he write is "I love mama and papa" and some of his friends name.

Hi Apricot,

Me too got the flashcards from sgparenting. Is quite a good website, the mummies there are pretty helpful if you face any problem on SM or GD method. My son had jus started on 'I can read', stil yet to see any improvement from him. Like I mentioned before, I m not very impress wif the centre and the teachers there, but got quite a few good comments from other mummies and was thinking no harm trying. But if you are hardworking enough, check out www.yesphonics.com. Me very lazy, brt a set cost like S$300, but still collect dirt and untouch in my home. hehehe... BTW, how old is yr child?

Hi Powerteletubbies,

Pls check yr mail. Happy flashing...

Hi GL,

I brought my son to I can read at Heartland Mall Kovan branch for assessment yesterday. He was rather good & pass the 1st sound assessment. I did not ask what are 2nd and 3rd sound ...is it TH for 2nd sound and The for 3rd sound ?
Still reconsidering to sign him up.
Yesphonics things are expensive le..quite painful to buy..ha ha..

Hi Powerteletubbies

Thanks for your compliments about my son, I think the credit should go to his teachers in Chatsworth kindergarten, they use a phonics system that encourages children to sound out the words. I noticed that they even encourage the kids to write letters to each other. My boy also attended Shichida Methods where they gave him image story writing practises.

Hi Jolyn,

Hope u r still reading this thread.. just some updates on my son progress in 'I Can Read'.

Well, currently I am still monitoring, but my son seem to be interested in the class cos he is always looking forward to go. From what my son told me what was taught in class, they are almost the same as in Morris Allen where he previously attended. But every week, when I do revision with him on his CC's spelling, he seem to be able to spell easily using the 'begining and ending sound'. Which I think he has improve a little. Will keep you posted again.

Hi Jolyn,

Hope u r still reading this thread.. just some updates on my son progress in 'I Can Read'.

Well, currently I am still monitoring, but my son seem to be interested in the class cos he is always looking forward to go. From what my son told me what was taught in class, they are almost the same as in Morris Allen where he previously attended. But every week, when I do revision with him on his CC's spelling, he seem to be able to spell easily using the 'begining and ending sound'. Which I think he has improve a little. Will keep you posted again.

one comment I would like to add to 'I Can Read'.... their Admin or reception system is not very good.. like we parents were not informed that which day there will be no classes.. no circular or memo (in Yamaha & Morris Allen, they will inform way in advance and also a gentle reminder the week before)... but in 'I Can Read' they just put up in the tiny notice board..... Every Sat morning when I send my son to class (9.30am) there is no one at the reception table, and I also came across parents who send their child for their first time, confused and not sure which classroom to go, that's what happen to me also.

Generally, I think they have to improve in their Customer Service, Admin & reception area.

HI GL, suggest you request a print out of the sch calendar. That will highlight the term break, no sch days, etc. The Ctr at Simei is ok. Just find that their materials are expensive.

Marmin, they have that? But they didnt provide me anything when I register my son for the course. Also never brief me on how to pay the term fee. When I phone the ctr to check, the lady told me 'PH sure no class one what!!!' Can you imagine that? I think Simei is better cause is bigger right? The one at Sengkang is very small, and the reception table always no pple, and I think there only got 3 teachers, cause everytime when I go there, only see those 3 'angmo'. See how, might consider to transfer my son to other nearby ctr.

I guess they have too many on-going classess thus they do not have a proper system to inform all parents. I also have to ask the timetable and get them to explain to me how it works. What I know is we are entitled to replacement class if the child for sick or on holiday. The replacement class will have to be schedule beforhand and on another day. after 12 lesson you need to pay the fees again. Fyi, Simei branch is not great too as they also have different treatment to the children, some got sweets after class end so do not....anyway so long as my son improve and enjoy the class, I just have to bear with it.

Hi all, my son is also 5 attending K1 now. He is attending Speech & Drama class in his childcare centre and the school also teaches him phonics. I didn't send him for any extra phonics class and I'm quite worry, if I shd. His teacher suggest that I send him for creative writing. I was thinking of Jan & Elly, anybody hv any comment on this school?

Abt the assessment at 'I Can Read', do we need to pay? Can we just go and take the assessment?

thesisen, same as your boy, my boy also like to write stories. after writing, he'll force me to read it, hahaha...

Hi baby2005,

My son is full day at CC, and I felt that the CC does not concentrate very much on phonics but they do teaches a lot of other stuff, like music, computer class, art & carft, speech & drama, abacus, etc... which is good for children but I personally felt the the phonics is not enough. My son had been attending Morris Allen for the past 2 yrs but recently change him to 'I Can Read'. I must say that I do see improvement in him. Out of the blue one day, he took out a book 'The three Little Pigs' from his room and read by himself..
happy.gif
and that moment I am really happy. Abt the assessment at "I Can Read', you need not pay but have to make appointment at any of their Centre first.

By the way, can any mummies tell me where can I send my son for Art Class? My son loves to draw, and was thinking to enrol him for proper courses..

Hi GL,

I'm not sure how much phonics my son childcare teaches but so far my son can read independently. Maybe he learn from the Speech & Drama class. According to his teacher, the school is sub-consciously teaching them spelling thru phonics.

Cool, ur son luv drawing, my son don't really hv much interest in it but he is attending Art Class organize by his childcare. U want to check with your son's childcare if they have any of such extra class? The extra classes (speech & drama + art) my son is attending in the ccc now is conducted by external school.

baby2005,

My son's CC do not conduct external Art Class but they do hv Computer & Chinese Speech & Drama.. yah.. maybe will suggest to CC to conduct one...

BTW, you mentioned that you're looking for creative writing course for your son? You may want to try Julia Gabriel -EduDrama.

hi GL.
my gal is in 5 years old and in K1. Like you, i also put her at ICR at SK (Rivervale Mall) and i did not like the place and the teachers. she started with PRP class and that was ok. then once she got promoted to ICR class under teacher Michael, she seems to be slacking or rather no improvement aft that. and each time i spoke with the teacher he kept insisting that kids are like that lah blah blah blah. so i decided to switch her to the other centre at Kovan. so far the teacher there is very good. and she got all her spelling correct last weekend and is able to read simple word books. also, the centre there is bigger and more comfortable. you may wanna consider that. but if your boy is improving now then maybe can leave it as it is and see how?

btw which CC is he attending? i was also considering morris allen but are they good?

Hi Samval,
Guess you're right.. personally I don't really like Teacher M... the way he talks, out of 10 words, I can only understand 5.. too soft and fast.. My son is taking his promotion test to 'ICR class' today. So if he makes it, I might consider to transfer him to Kovan instead. Currently, my son is in Cherie Hearts in Kembangan (near my work place). Morris Allen! In term of activites, I would prefer MA, but in term of academic, I would prefer ICR. My son enjoy MA a lot, cos they do drawing, singing, reading, play and phonics, etc.. but after attending for 2 yrs, I don't see his improvement in phonics, that's why, I put him in ICR. Personally, I would prefer MA, the teachers there are more standard and the Centre has better system, but is a pity, their concentration not very much on studies.

Hi Baby2005,
From what I know, JG is at Forum (Orchard) & Turf City, don't think they have on around Serangoon area. Or you may want to check out http://www.crestar.com.sg/index_services.html, I think they have Creative Writing. Recommended by one of my son's CC mummy, I just enrol him in the Art Class in Crestar in Hougang. Or you may check out http://www.britishcouncil.org/singapore.htm, they are pretty good too. Was thinking to put my son in Bristish Council when he attends Primary 1.

Hi GL,
Ya I also heard that MA focus more on learning thru play thats why kids love it so much. But in S'pore, I think out government focus more on education that's why they are very strict. So ICR is the place for them to learn phonics and get their academic started off to blend with the S'pore school system. You may wanna consider going to Kovan. Teachers there are good. They give every kid individual attention and focus on the weaker ones more. Also, each child is made to read a paragraph in each lesson. I don't see the Rivervale Mall branch doing that.

You stay in SK and work in Kembangan? How is Cherrie Hearts? Heard not too bad also. Think there is also a branch in SK. Have you thought of a primary sch for your boy yet?

Hi Samval,
My son went for the 'Promotion Test' earlier today, the teacher said he is still not very good in the Blending (the short & long vowel sounds) and suggests him to stay in PRP for another 3 lessons before going to ICR class. Actually, I don't quite like their promotion method, I think is very stressful for both the parents and the kid. These days children are very stressed .. so many things to learn... after the assessment, we came back home, I allow him to play TV games, which normally on weekday he is not allow to. Aiya.. must reward him sometimes..

I am quite happy with Cherie Hearts, although some parents in the forum said that they have too many programmes for the children. But I think, no harm letting the children explore to more things.. The nearest one to SK is at Serangoon (near to Kovan), but as I am working near Kembangan, is easier for me to pick him up.

Primary School!!! Have not really think abt it.. Might put him near to my working place or maybe at Nan Chiau Pri, which is quite near to my hse (within 1km). There is also a new Pri Sch coming up end next year, just beside my house, might also consider that. But if I put him in SK, then might have to get a maid to take care him. How abt you? You staying in SK?

Back