Gestational Diabetes

@Skivewalker as per my gynae, my BB weigh 1.04Kg at 27 weeks+ which he mentioned normal. not too big not too small. yes, he did mentioned to me about having bigger baby if mummy has GDM. But through out my pregnancy, I didn't exceed the weight gain limit..keeping to 1 kg ~ per month. That's why I thought since I managed my weight quite well, I shouldn't be prone to GDM. Well, since the reality strike... Have to accept it.
I have heard that people who take a lot of mummies milk tend to have high glucose.. I stopped mine immediately too after being diagnosed. ( I was taking 2 glasses everyday)
my hubby was consoling me, not to be too hard on myself. Keeping my diet away from those fried food, high carbo food , sweet stuffs is for the benefit of myself and importantly, BB.
After I sent my result to gynae, he say no need to do further test, just keep to the diet.. To me, its a relief from the pricking, but keep "suspecting" and 'wondering" if certain food has caused a high spike in the reading.
Well I guess have to "don't think too much" and look forward to my next appointment, 2 weeks later..
@pinkylove good to hear u r taking it positively too. Wow no more pricking is a good thing, can be quite cumbersome though painless. I did a growth scan at W30 and my BB is 1279g, slightly small according to my gynae so he told me be prepared could be induced. Ya I did take avocado. Like u, I manage my weight gain quite well n avoided high sugary n fatty food except during CNY I let loose a little but I did drink quite a bit of Anmum and milo each day, probably that's the cause I really don't know. I wasn't really physically active as I did not have some spotting earlier on and so am worried to move about too much. To date, my total weight gain is around 10kg and hasn't been rising that much. I hope everything will turn out well for u and ur BB. :)

If you have GD, is inducing at 38 weeks a must?
Hi @4gals , not sure if it's a must, I think it depends on ur condition. Ur gynae would probably assessed based on ur risk level and BB's growth. But 38 weeks consider full term already. My gynae told me if I can wait till 37 weeks not too bad already.

@sunflower307 inject yourself everyday? I have no idea how you go thru.. so brave of you. Good for you, to pass your 6 wk post partum!! Hard work pays off.... :)

Hi Thanks. I gone thru 2 early Mc each at 5 & 6 weeks. Found out I had protein s deficiency after my 2nd Mc, doc suggest I inject clexane to keep my blood thin and on top of tt take baby aspirin as well.. haha
This bb means alot to me. Haha

My hub help me inject everyday. I can't do it myself... too scared to poke the needle In. Haha. the good thing is. When I kena GDM and gotta prick I thought it's gonna be painful turns out it's nothing compare to my daily injection. My meds have an aching sensation when injected. Haha.

Normally doc will suggest 38wk as bb is more or less developed properly and of good weight. I will say listen to doc advise.
Don't hang on too much on ur self expectation on the birth plan. in the end, holding our bb in our hands in the most impt thing..

@pinkylove good to hear u r taking it positively too. Wow no more pricking is a good thing, can be quite cumbersome though painless. I did a growth scan at W30 and my BB is 1279g, slightly small according to my gynae so he told me be prepared could be induced. Ya I did take avocado. Like u, I manage my weight gain quite well n avoided high sugary n fatty food except during CNY I let loose a little but I did drink quite a bit of Anmum and milo each day, probably that's the cause I really don't know. I wasn't really physically active as I did not have some spotting earlier on and so am worried to move about too much. To date, my total weight gain is around 10kg and hasn't been rising that much. I hope everything will turn out well for u and ur BB. :)
@Skivewalker , total weight gain of 10kg is in the healthy range. Well since you already control in diet, everything is going on fine.. Now in week 31, just hang on for a few more week and your precious will be in your arms.
Just like what @sunflower307 has said, even were to induce, 38 weeks is considered a mature development and dont stress on ourselves too much for the birth plans. :)

@pinkylove, was reading your previous post. even thou doc nvr ask for your results, you can do your own checking if you have the device at home.

I love to test my limits. haha I always prick even though I don't need to test on tt day. my hub keep saying I very obsessed. haha

@pinkylove, was reading your previous post. even thou doc nvr ask for your results, you can do your own checking if you have the device at home.

I love to test my limits. haha I always prick even though I don't need to test on tt day. my hub keep saying I very obsessed. haha
@sunflower307 me too! I like to experiment with different food to see if I would get very different results. If not I will get bored eating the same old stuff. :)

If you have GD, is inducing at 38 weeks a must?
GDM is not an indication for induction.

The topic of induction due to my GDM was never broached and I delivered my LO at 39w4d.

It may have been due to the fact that I didnt gain too much weight too and hence my dr was not too concerned?

I see. you under high risk? take care.

I had GDM and sticky bloody, I basically have to inject myself daily on the tummy with Clexane from 18weeks onwards to thin my blood. haha thinking back I dunno how I go thru all these, haha

I am overweight to begin with. haha Yes when u start GDM diet u will notice a drop in weight. My weight drop at first then I gain alittle bit haha towards to end coz I really don't care and anyhow wack at the last wk. haha

My friend face the same prob of small baby n GDM, u can try avocado with like low fat milk or something? no sugary stuff.

Yesh! I pass my 6wk post partum with good results. hehe but doc tell me if I have 2nd child, mostly likely will have GDM. have to control from the start. haha can't imagine!!!
I have yet to do my post partum OGTT!!! Am doing it at the end of April , 2 wks b4 i go back for my 3 mth review with my gynae.

@sunflower307 , I am also with NUH. Am seeing Prof Mahesh who has many a times mentioned to me due to my condition I high chance pre term and likely to be induced :(. Besides GDM, I had preterm contractions at W28. Now under medication to control contractions. My weight does not increase much though, in fact when I first started the GDM diet, it dropped a kg. Wah at least ur gal is of a good weight and u only put on so little!. How was ur 6 weeks after test? Hope everything is normal for u now.

It's good that you aren't gaining too much weight with the GDM diet..That's the point!!

I was also glad to have sort of followed the GDM diet, although there were times when I had small servings of cake because of b'day celebration etc, and when I order stuff which I thought is ok (I realise that u are taking a chance if u choose other forms of salad dressing other than olive oil / vinaigrettte but I was not aware of it back then and i happily chose apple soy sauce). Gained 5 kg for my pregnancy, LO was born at 3.555kg (!!!!).

Lost all the 5kg weight gain immediately on delivery. If you don't gain too much wt during pregnancy it is easier for u to lose it, and who knows with breast feeding, night calls and graduated weight training...you may become even thinner than u were b4 u got preggie? :)

It's good that you aren't gaining too much weight with the GDM diet..That's the point!!

I was also glad to have sort of followed the GDM diet, although there were times when I had small servings of cake because of b'day celebration etc, and when I order stuff which I thought is ok (I realise that u are taking a chance if u choose other forms of salad dressing other than olive oil / vinaigrettte but I was not aware of it back then and i happily chose apple soy sauce). Gained 5 kg for my pregnancy, LO was born at 3.555kg (!!!!).

Lost all the 5kg weight gain immediately on delivery. If you don't gain too much wt during pregnancy it is easier for u to lose it, and who knows with breast feeding, night calls and graduated weight training...you may become even thinner than u were b4 u got preggie? :)
Wow, ur BB is of very gd weight. I hope my BB can get past 3kg. Crossing my fingers I won't be induced so soon. So envious that U lost all ur pregnancy weight gain. :)

Wow, ur BB is of very gd weight. I hope my BB can get past 3kg. Crossing my fingers I won't be induced so soon. So envious that U lost all ur pregnancy weight gain. :)

How many weeks are you along now? LO tends to put on a lot of weight towards the final few weeks...The weight gain rate is astounding actually.

And don't get to worried about the weight especially if you and your hubby aren't big to begin with. Ain't realistic to expect small mice to give birth to cows, if you know what I mean :)

How many weeks are you along now? LO tends to put on a lot of weight towards the final few weeks...The weight gain rate is astounding actually.

And don't get to worried about the weight especially if you and your hubby aren't big to begin with. Ain't realistic to expect small mice to give birth to cows, if you know what I mean :)
Tomorrow I will be 32 weeks. My BB is not very big to begin with plus now that I have to manage GDM and preterm contractions, my gynae had mentioned that most likely I would be induced and he is looking at 37 weeks or longer. I am not too worried about my weight coz I would rather my BB gains more.

@pinkylove So far i am quite kiasee, don't dare to venture out too much but, I am gg to test out full packet of chicken rice +char siu for lunch later. I want to just try 1/2 or 2/3 packet but my hubby kept urging me to just try full packet lah. Will update u later! :)

@pinkylove So far i am quite kiasee, don't dare to venture out too much but, I am gg to test out full packet of chicken rice +char siu for lunch later. I want to just try 1/2 or 2/3 packet but my hubby kept urging me to just try full packet lah. Will update u later! :)
ok, ok... curious to know... look forward to your update!! *keep fingers crossed for you*

Hi all JTS delivered my baby last yr Aug I had diagnosed with gestation diabetes during pregnancy. It was a up and down pregnancy as couldn't eat freely as afraid anything happened to baby coz read somewhere high glucose level can cause stillborn or sudden heartbeat stopped for baby. So deligently ate as per dietician menu.

If I really crave for sweet stuff or eat more..i will walk more after meal(walk around my house) or add raw onion into it as it lowered the sugar or doesn't cause spike.

Total gain 6 kg in weight, bb is 2.5kg. I'm just glad she's healthy All the best to u ladies ;)

Actually I don't think I'm too obsessed with my diet but mainly consume complex carbo and following through my dietician's diet plan, especially when I am pricking on that particular day. My reading however has been on the low side for post-meal. So I tweaked a bit by adding on a milo drink (1 heap tablespoon, no sugar nor condensed milk) or 1 serving of fruit after meals to bring up the level. Milo usually woks for me and doesn't exceed my reading. So far my reading will rise more if I buy takeaway from hawker, (stuff like zhi char or mixed vege rice) but I usually do not finished the rice and reading at most exceed by 0.1.
There was once I heeded my dietician advice on trying out oat and oh boy it tastes horrid and I have to literally swallow the last 10 mouthfuls with water! She recommended me to get Fairprice oats which is lowest in sugar and low GI, cook 4 tablespoons with milk/water. I cooked with a glass low fat milk and added an egg. The portion was rather big n thick. Guess what, 2 hours after this healthy breakfast, my reading was 4.9, way below the (5.5-6.6) range so I stopped consuming oats for now till I can find better palatable recipe. :)

Hi all JTS delivered my baby last yr Aug I had diagnosed with gestation diabetes during pregnancy. It was a up and down pregnancy as couldn't eat freely as afraid anything happened to baby coz read somewhere high glucose level can cause stillborn or sudden heartbeat stopped for baby. So deligently ate as per dietician menu.

If I really crave for sweet stuff or eat more..i will walk more after meal(walk around my house) or add raw onion into it as it lowered the sugar or doesn't cause spike.

Total gain 6 kg in weight, bb is 2.5kg. I'm just glad she's healthy All the best to u ladies ;)
hi @lovemyboy good to know ur BB is healthy. Thanks for ur well wishes! :)

Actually I don't think I'm too obsessed with my diet but mainly consume complex carbo and following through my dietician's diet plan, especially when I am pricking on that particular day. My reading however has been on the low side for post-meal. So I tweaked a bit by adding on a milo drink (1 heap tablespoon, no sugar nor condensed milk) or 1 serving of fruit after meals to bring up the level. Milo usually woks for me and doesn't exceed my reading. So far my reading will rise more if I buy takeaway from hawker, (stuff like zhi char or mixed vege rice) but I usually do not finished the rice and reading at most exceed by 0.1.
There was once I heeded my dietician advice on trying out oat and oh boy it tastes horrid and I have to literally swallow the last 10 mouthfuls with water! She recommended me to get Fairprice oats which is lowest in sugar and low GI, cook 4 tablespoons with milk/water. I cooked with a glass low fat milk and added an egg. The portion was rather big n thick. Guess what, 2 hours after this healthy breakfast, my reading was 4.9, way below the (5.5-6.6) range so I stopped consuming oats for now till I can find better palatable recipe. :)

My dietician comment I don't have enough protein n calcium in my diet.. I am a Carbo gal .ahaha

My breakfast is always 2 pc of 12grain wholemeal bread which I can spread a thin layer of cheese (the laughing cow wedge) or butter plus 1 glass of milk. always below 5.5 after 2 hrs.

@lovemyboy Thank you for sharing. Happy for you and your healthy LO.:)

My dietician comment I don't have enough protein n calcium in my diet.. I am a Carbo gal .ahaha

My breakfast is always 2 pc of 12grain wholemeal bread which I can spread a thin layer of cheese (the laughing cow wedge) or butter plus 1 glass of milk. always below 5.5 after 2 hrs.
U can try snacking on nuts like almonds or walnuts for added protein. If u can take unsweetened soy taste, u can drink that too.

Milo with milk (no condensed milk etc) worked for me, no sugar spikes! Though that time my gynae circled out the no-no items in the food diary i gave. I just let it be lah..no spike then it means it's ok. But as I got lazier as time went by, I switched from milo to milk. Convenient!!

the char siew may be a problem...hmm

Still waiting to take the 2h post meal reading......
I had one full packet chicken rice (not white rice) with white chicken and char siu. 2 sliced cucumbers and 1 hardboiled egg. No chili no gravy.
Will post my reading at 405pm. ;)

After delivery, do we need to control our diet or can eat like we used to do?
If not, how to do confinement?

After delivery, do we need to control our diet or can eat like we used to do?
If not, how to do confinement?
I think I will keep to this diet till I go for my post partum OGTT. If possible I will still manage my diet carefully by choosing my carbs wisely even if I am back to normal for health sake. But don't think I would be as strict as now.

I think I will keep to this diet till I go for my post partum OGTT. If possible I will still manage my diet carefully by choosing my carbs wisely even if I am back to normal for health sake. But don't think I would be as strict as now.

But if I am TBF, won't I use up more energy, hence can eat more carbo?
Then can we drink the red dates with longgan drink during confinement?

when I was doing my confinement, I just eat more veggie and protein, still eating less rice.
I pass my post partum OGTT.

If you are BFing, definitely will feel more hungry. I drink tons of red dates longan tea also. like at least 3 liter everyday.

when I was doing my confinement, I just eat more veggie and protein, still eating less rice.
I pass my post partum OGTT.

If you are BFing, definitely will feel more hungry. I drink tons of red dates longan tea also. like at least 3 liter everyday.
@4gals Ya I guess can increase carbs but good carbs.
I think during confinement before my post partum OGTT I would probably drink less sweet red dates longan tea. I definitely will ask my confinement lady to cook healthily for me. I am going to BF too. I was so worried that I asked the nurse at clinic if my GDM would affect my milk supply and will be too sweet for my BB, luckily she said no, should be ok.

ok, ok... curious to know... look forward to your update!! *keep fingers crossed for you*
haha shouldn't let our guards down. My reading after the chicken cum charsiu rice plus one egg is 8.7! Conclusion, choose ur hawker food wisely. Bad carbs indeed bad. Can't take full packet too.
@gammahedging agree that char siu might be the culprit.

@4gals for confinement I drank red date longan... But reduced the portion of longan, personally don wanna feel like drinking too sweet. I did eat both white rice and brown rice whichever is available. In fact, I eat white rice in hospital as there is no choice.... Lol. Didn't eat a lot of fruits, just minimal. Nothing too special about diet, apart from keep away from those sweetly stuff as usual.

My gynae didn't require me to do postpartum OGTT at wk 6, only did fasting reading, everything ok, no issue, back to normal.

haha shouldn't let our guards down. My reading after the chicken cum charsiu rice plus one egg is 8.7! Conclusion, choose ur hawker food wisely. Bad carbs indeed bad. Can't take full packet too.
I believe lots of sugar went into the seasoning of the char siew.

To share - I once thought that lor bak is fine until I had the lor bak rice from Shi Lin ..I didnt finish the rice (about the same amt I have when I am at home) but my reading was 8+ too. My conclusion is that it must be the meat. U'd be surprised at how much sugar is used in seasoning the food ....

I believe lots of sugar went into the seasoning of the char siew.

To share - I once thought that lor bak is fine until I had the lor bak rice from Shi Lin ..I didnt finish the rice (about the same amt I have when I am at home) but my reading was 8+ too. My conclusion is that it must be the meat. U'd be surprised at how much sugar is used in seasoning the food ....
I agree must be the seasoning plus the oily rice. Just have to be obedient to eat healthily. Got a fright n cooked my own healthy dinner.

Oh... really have to be careful about hawker food... if really want to take, don't take the full packet.. take half and plus walking after that...;)

Tomorrow I will be 32 weeks. My BB is not very big to begin with plus now that I have to manage GDM and preterm contractions, my gynae had mentioned that most likely I would be induced and he is looking at 37 weeks or longer. I am not too worried about my weight coz I would rather my BB gains more.
Hi hi

I had the exact same thing as u! Preterm contractions n gdm.

Curious how to eat 1800 cal on gdm diet ? My sugar is ok if I dun eat too full but I have difficulty eating even 1500 kal a day without forcing myself to eat more .....

Hi hi

I had the exact same thing as u! Preterm contractions n gdm.

Curious how to eat 1800 cal on gdm diet ? My sugar is ok if I dun eat too full but I have difficulty eating even 1500 kal a day without forcing myself to eat more .....
Hi @Witchjj how many weeks along r u now? I don't really keep track how many calories I consume per day but I try to eat six meals per day, three main plus three snacks. I eat alot of yogurt, nuts and peanut butter and drink low fat milk to increase protein n calcium. I get full easily so eating six smaller meals actually work better for me. I didn't gain much weight. In fact I lost a bit when I first started the gdm diet. Are u on medication to control preterm contractions?

Hi @Witchjj how many weeks along r u now? I don't really keep track how many calories I consume per day but I try to eat six meals per day, three main plus three snacks. I eat alot of yogurt, nuts and peanut butter and drink low fat milk to increase protein n calcium. I get full easily so eating six smaller meals actually work better for me. I didn't gain much weight. In fact I lost a bit when I first started the gdm diet. Are u on medication to control preterm contractions?

Me at wk29 now. Had contractions since week 20! In fact being FTM I tot tats normal lol. Was diagnose with irritable uterus. Am on nifedipine n utrogestan to control contractions.

Like you I get full easily so for me it's a case of I am forcing myself to eat more cos worry bb not enuf nutrients to grow. I only put on 5kg so far ..... N stop putting on ( in fact lost 1kg) ever since I went on gdm diet 3 weeks ago.

So the dilemma comes about how to eat so much kal when I get full easily n w gdm diet. :(

Me at wk29 now. Had contractions since week 20! In fact being FTM I tot tats normal lol. Was diagnose with irritable uterus. Am on nifedipine n utrogestan to control contractions.

Like you I get full easily so for me it's a case of I am forcing myself to eat more cos worry bb not enuf nutrients to grow. I only put on 5kg so far ..... N stop putting on ( in fact lost 1kg) ever since I went on gdm diet 3 weeks ago.

So the dilemma comes about how to eat so much kal when I get full easily n w gdm diet. :(
Wah since week20?! May I know how old are u. I'm turning 36 Gosh u must have freaked out. I'm also on nifedipine n often get its side effects plus sometimes my blood sugar level dips low, can feel very giddy and breathless. Don't worry too much, wait for ur next growth scan and see how is it.

Back