Husband a better parent than me ?

aussiekiwi

Hi mums

Is it normal for a 6 week old to be more 'attached ' to his father than his mother (me)? I feel like all I am good for is to feed, change his nappies and bathe him. I am on 6 months maternity leave, living here on our own (without helper and family) and husband works 9-6pm on weekdays.

Baby is more interacting and 'talkative' with husband than he is with me (I spend all day with him and husband only a few hrs at night and all day in the weekends). In fact he doesn't smile or make noises with me at all and it is devastating to. Point where I am getting depressed...

Would like to hear your thoughts!

Hi there, I wouldn't worry if I were you. The truth is that children do look for/to different people to fulfill different needs. While your baby may seem more interactive with his dad, I'm sure he would want you (perhaps for emotional comfort and security) at certain other times as well. If this bothers you still, I'd say keep talking/singing (teasing/winking too!) to your little one. One day, he will respond!

As your little one grows, I'm sure you'd be thankful for the fact that there is someone else (other than you) who entertains the kid and whom the boy finds entertaining.

Hi, I think this is normal, my first kid who is a boy is very attached to me despite my wife breastfeeding him for a year. She also was very jealous but become better after we did some research. Boy tends to see daddy as his role model from 2 to 5 yrs. Wevare also told the same thing by the child care teacher....;)

Thank you both, I will continue to connect with him as much as I can.
I guess he is too little to pick sides at this age and doesn't know better other than going to us separately for his different needs. It does make me smile inside to see them both build a relationship, my time will come soon :)

end of the day,kid will look for mummy first..dun worry.:)
initial my bb also wants my mil instead of me. ( she is taken care of by mil everyday while I am working and stay at her house from mon to fri)
since she is 8 months old,i bring her home everyday to sleep with me.
now she is closer to me. she will look for me first before my hubby.

My first child was a baby boy and due to his personality he was close to whoever played with him. Then I felt my mil was in competition of his attention and chose to be a stay home mum to look after him. When he was a preschooler, he pretty much drifted to those who played with him and gave him toys. N I was jealous when he got my mil's attention. Now that he's 9 years old, he knows who cares for him and all and naturally comes to me and hubby for support and love. So my advice is, let your baby grow up, he'll know who's best for him :)

it all depend on what you do with the infant when you are alone with him / her after than feeding and bathing him/her . my boy is more attracted to my hubby reason is simple... he always make funny and crazy noise to play with my boy since baby so naturally my boy will be attract to him more cos he is fun to hang around with .
as for me sometime i do the same but not as much as my hubby cos i am burden with daily chores of feeding ..changing and washing so when it come to these items. my boy know who to look for ..

it all depend on what you do with the infant when you are alone with him / her after than feeding and bathing him/her . my boy is more attracted to my hubby reason is simple... he always make funny and crazy noise to play with my boy since baby so naturally my boy will be attract to him more cos he is fun to hang around with .
as for me sometime i do the same but not as much as my hubby cos i am burden with daily chores of feeding ..changing and washing so when it come to these items. my boy know who to look for ..

This is the position I am in, last few days trying my best to be more interactive and animated with him and he is smiling to say the least and chatting...I'll get there :) after all he is both our sons and no need to compete with hubby

On the contrary I would prefer my kids to like my hubby more. . At least then I can take a break from taking care of them :)

my sis bb is also react more to her husband.
My mum jokingly say its becoz she already see my sis until "sian", so naturally when dad come back plus play a lot of nonsense thingy to bb will trigger more reaction. Her bb will chuckle and laugh when playing with her dad, when my sis play with her, the most only a smile and sometimes a chuckle. haha

Don't feel depress ok?

Don't worry at all! Your baby just starts to understand the world and for now it may seem that you're just a walking food. However sooner than you think you will become the most important person in his life. He will not want to leave you and lose you out of sight. You may long for times to breath ;) No worries there! It's fantastic that your baby has connection with both of his parents :)

Back