IVF/ICSI Support Group

The doctors in kk private side only dr S, Dr Matt Lau, dr Jc and Dr THH right. There are success stories w The other doctors too..as shared in this forum. I have a friends friend who had twins with Dr jc.
Dr Matt has been away for a while since last Aug. Is he back already? He is also a very good and nice doctor.
Under private still got Dr Jessie Phoon. Heard that she is quite good too and will try her best to answer our questions.

Actually there is no such thing as guarantee in ivf coz the success rate depends on many many factors such as age, quality of embryo, lining etc. Plainly said, the doctors are just there to facilitate the transfer and as well as offer us professional advice. It so happened that there are many "reported" cases here who succeeded under Dr THH, but it does not mean that the other doctors are not competent. IMO, it is important that you find a doctor whom you are comfortable with and can provide some answers to the questions posed in medical perspective. Personal experience also varies due to different expectation aka while i have good experience with this dr, it does not necessary mean that you will concur with me. So have to exercise your own judgement liao.

Yup, i agreed with you that success rate really depends on many factors. Actually i also did not have much experience with my Dr., everytime just a very short visit and started the process. and now it will be my 3rd time, so i am trying to maximize my chances cos no longer young :( I guess seeing all my frens around me becoming mum really create hidden stress in me ....

Dr Matt has been away for a while since last Aug. Is he back already? He is also a very good and nice doctor.
Under private still got Dr Jessie Phoon. Heard that she is quite good too and will try her best to answer our questions.

Yes, i know diff Drs sure will try their best right, so i can only blame my own body hahaha ... why is it so hard ? seriously....

Heh sorry for the rant. Just suddenly felt for the topic in general. My male boss and colleagues are fine lah.
Ya it's a rough ride..that's why we are here to support one another. I lied abt my HL, jus tell my male bosses n colleagues I go and remove cyst. I thk I'm gonna take my own leave for just half of the 2ww my next round. All the best to your ET tmr with dr tan. I recall When I lie on the table the first thing he said was, 'relax ah, don't be nervous. ' very reassuring... :)

Oops my info outdated, I assumed dr Jessie is on public queue. There's another dr lim shu ling associate consultant (small size quite sweet looking with short hair and big eyes), who is actually my sec Sch classmate so I actually had to Siam her each time I see her in the clinic because we are not that close and I dun wanna discuss my problem and she definitely knows what I'm doin there. She has 2 kids herself. I Dunno if she's on public or private and if she does ER and ET too.

Hihi,

Thanks for your reply. Well this is my 2nd failed IVF. For the first, it was done by lady Dr.S. and during my second try, she was on leave during the ER & ET, so ended done by Dr. JC (i have no choice!)). Actually initially I supposed to see Dr, THH, but cos I feel awkward with guy doc so i change to lady...now I am thinking if I had made a wrong decision and wasted so much time :(
So you mean we can just change doc through the nurse?

Well.. if you happen to read by ranting... I was also thinking if I make a wrong choice too...~
But I didn't choose, I was sort of assign to Dr K ....
Now that I have no choice like you... I got to carry on the procedure with Dr K.... ~ To have the mind-set there ALL Doctor maintain their professionalism on all procedure they do for patient...

I think I would be pissed if I have the same experience as you. Well, Tan Heng Hao is quite popular and many of us are his die-hard fans...so what do you think? *wink*

In fact when im speaking to the IVF nurse... she was like saying let me help you see "Dr Tan HH schedule"..
Im thinking about him too....

Yup, i agreed with you that success rate really depends on many factors. Actually i also did not have much experience with my Dr., everytime just a very short visit and started the process. and now it will be my 3rd time, so i am trying to maximize my chances cos no longer young :( I guess seeing all my frens around me becoming mum really create hidden stress in me ....
We can understand the anxiety coz we are all here for the same reasons. If i were to recall, my consultations were also very short. The principal dr will just do scan, diagnose, recommend protocol then off you go to ivf centre. Subsequently will just see the dr-on-duty till ER and ET where our principal dr would "appear". This process is the same regardless which dr is your principal. I thought if you are ok with Dr S, can continue with her because by-far, she knows your condition best. Unless she is always sticking to the same recommendation and does not even try to tweak the medical plan to achieve something different. Still it is your own judgement call and you can also change hands for better luck. ;)

And indeed it is hard and demoralizing. The pain is tripled when ivf is just a number game where success rate is only 40% for women between 30 - 35 and lower for more than 35. But if we are lucky enough to find the right equation, our dreams will come true. If not, take a break, take care of our body and we move on to the next cycle and stop when we are stretched financially or when we decide to give up. Dun blame yourself or anyone coz no one is perfect. Jia you, ok?

Actually there is no such thing as guarantee in ivf coz the success rate depends on many many factors such as age, quality of embryo, lining etc. Plainly said, the doctors are just there to facilitate the transfer and as well as offer us professional advice. It so happened that there are many "reported" cases here who succeeded under Dr THH, but it does not mean that the other doctors are not competent. IMO, it is important that you find a doctor whom you are comfortable with and can provide some answers to the questions posed in medical perspective. Personal experience also varies due to different expectation aka while i have good experience with this dr, it does not necessary mean that you will concur with me. So have to exercise your own judgement liao.

Agreed with what you say....
1s thing : Comfotable
2nd thing : Can ANSWER my qns....

I carry on with my current Dr despite not feeling the above mainly because after gg to IVF side... my current DR is only gg to facilitate the transfer ... Which I believe all doctor will maintain their professionalism.... and he will be competent to the procedure for me...

But if it ever fail... the 2 above factor will be my main consideration... =)

Hi, are u on the private queue or public queue? Mind sharing which dr u r referring to? most of us here are with dr THH, and we find him nice and friendly. I just failed my first cycle with him though but I think it's my stim dosage a bit low and also maybe just my bad luck this round. Will be seeing him for review next mth.

The doctors in kk private side only dr S, Dr Matt Lau, dr Jc and Dr THH right. There are success stories w The other doctors too..as shared in this forum. I have a friends friend who had twins with Dr jc.

Jiayou together!

Im private... but im assign to Dr K... Which is not in the IVF list....
I did check with the nurses before why isn't he in the list..... But they just mention to me that he do IVF too.... have successful story too... Just that I don find it in forum...

We can understand the anxiety coz we are all here for the same reasons. If i were to recall, my consultations were also very short. The principal dr will just do scan, diagnose, recommend protocol then off you go to ivf centre. Subsequently will just see the dr-on-duty till ER and ET where our principal dr would "appear". This process is the same regardless which dr is your principal. I thought if you are ok with Dr S, can continue with her because by-far, she knows your condition best. Unless she is always sticking to the same recommendation and does not even try to tweak the medical plan to achieve something different. Still it is your own judgement call and you can also change hands for better luck. ;)

And indeed it is hard and demoralizing. The pain is tripled when ivf is just a number game where success rate is only 40% for women between 30 - 35 and lower for more than 35. But if we are lucky enough to find the right equation, our dreams will come true. If not, take a break, take care of our body and we move on to the next cycle and stop when we are stretched financially or when we decide to give up. Dun blame yourself or anyone coz no one is perfect. Jia you, ok?

I sometime feel that the principal doctor can be quite redundant as after we are assign to IVF side... The doctor also can decide on the protocol... in fact this Dr on duty at IVF are more pro in answering question, giving u example and such...

But at the end of the day if we ever fail.. We are still require to go back to our principal doctor ... I don know is just my personal experience.. but is like im paying to see him and instead of him answering my quries is more of me answering his qns when is in my file...~

There's another dr lim shu ling associate consultant (small size quite sweet looking with short hair and big eyes), who is actually my sec Sch classmate so I actually had to Siam her each time I see her in the clinic because we are not that close and I dun wanna discuss my problem and she definitely knows what I'm doin there.
Aiyo, i think cannot siam her wan le coz she is one of the dr-on-duty in room 4 le.

I recall there's no change fee, it's just have to get a new appt date to see the doctor again and just pay consultation ($90-$100 If I recall for senior consultant).
Ya, sorry, my bad. I called up KKIVF to check. There is no one-time change fee :)

I sometime feel that the principal doctor can be quite redundant as after we are assign to IVF side... The doctor also can decide on the protocol... in fact this Dr on duty at IVF are more pro in answering question, giving u example and such...

But at the end of the day if we ever fail.. We are still require to go back to our principal doctor ... I don know is just my personal experience.. but is like im paying to see him and instead of him answering my quries is more of me answering his qns when is in my file...~
Actually not really...the principal doc decides on your STIMM meds, does your ER and ET and discusses with you on your embryo condition, to see if you want to blast them or not..

Doc on duty is like a co-driver, whereby they assess your condition and then comes up with the dates for ER and ET.

Principal doc then goes through your file and then find out why you failed and stuff and makes changes to your STIMM meds, or recommendations like endo scratching, etc...

If i am not wrong, the dr-on-duty will recommend the protocol, in consultation with your principal dr de. But i can understand why. If all drs have to provide consultation to the many patients who need fertility advice and on top of that review and see patients who have already started their cycle, the queue would be so so long. The KPI to start a fresh cycle would no longer be 3 months but 6 months? Woah... wait 6 months to start 1 fresh cycle, i dun have that many 6 months to wait le. And that is why i always make my post cycle review with my principal dr worthwhile by asking lotsa questions and toying with different different permutation (on paper la) of the medical plan. So i always leave the review session with more question mark. Duno good or bad.

But if you think Dr K is really not living up to your expectation, make the change. Anyway your records would be in your case file mah so i guess whichever dr who takes over can keep it up to speed.

And that is why i always make my post cycle review with my principal dr worthwhile by asking lotsa questions and toying with different different permutation (on paper la) of the medical plan. So i always leave the review session with more question mark. Duno good or bad

Actually it's good - me too, I read up more than go in and ask my doc with lotsa Q and many "what ifs". Consumer awareness mah :p Must make the consultation fee more worthwhile, though it's very tempting to go in and just make small talk with the handsome doc :p

hi girls, can i check how long your bloating and cramps lasted after ER? i did my ER on wednesday, i feel MORE bloated today compared to yesterday and got more cramps... normal?

Aiyo, i think cannot siam her wan le coz she is one of the dr-on-duty in room 4 le.
LOL..oops so far my 1 Iui and 1 IVF cycle I nev kena her before, it's either dr Jessie or the African lady. Mayb she see my name on the file then ask her colleague take over haha...cos my name is quite unique and she will definitely recognize it's me. Plus ic number is same yr as her. But ya..I can't imagine gg thru follicle sizes with my classmate the next round. Alamak............

hi girls, can i check how long your bloating and cramps lasted after ER? i did my ER on wednesday, i feel MORE bloated today compared to yesterday and got more cramps... normal?

Mine lasted about 1 week post ER for bloating and cramps about 2-3 days. Pretty common phenomenon. As towkayneo mentioned, up your protein intake (if no eggs, take meats, protein shakes). Can take non-carbonated isotonic drinks too.

Hi all,

just wana check if anyone of u changed doc after ur failed IVF @ KKH? How is the process of doing it and does KKH allows that?

You can change dr. Have to make new appointment to see the dr, and it's considered as a new case consult visit (i.e. charged as 1st visit instead of follow-up visit charge).

For clarity, for KKH drs, Dr S, Dr TanHH, Dr K sees only private patients (meaning no way you'll see them if you go through polyclinic referral). For the rest (Dr JC, Dr Jessie Phoon, Dr Liu Shuling, Dr TanTY), they see both private and subsidised patients. If you go as a subsidised patient, you'll be randomly allocated to one of these dr.

Do u mean if subsidised patient cam request for change?

Not sure if you can request for change as a subsidised patient. Technically speaking it's considered as choosing your dr, so considered as private patient.

Im under Dr jessie phoon. Hws her reviews? I was assigned to her when I came in..

I was under Dr Veronique (subsidised patient), but Dr Jessie was the one who did the ER and ET for me. Got my BFP, and switched to being under her as a private patient, now at 24 weeks. She's someone who'll take time to answer your questions, yet does not beat around the bush, that is she will tell you straight to the point. Personally I'm comfortable with her.

Mine lasted about 1 week post ER for bloating and cramps about 2-3 days. Pretty common phenomenon. As towkayneo mentioned, up your protein intake (if no eggs, take meats, protein shakes). Can take non-carbonated isotonic drinks too.

i was quite ok after my ER, and yesterday i seemed to be well already, so i just ate normally.. n then BAM today after lunch.. back to super bloated and crampy.

can use heat pack??

so the bloatedness will last past the ET?

You can change dr. Have to make new appointment to see the dr, and it's considered as a new case consult visit (i.e. charged as 1st visit instead of follow-up visit charge).

For clarity, for KKH drs, Dr S, Dr TanHH, Dr K sees only private patients (meaning no way you'll see them if you go through polyclinic referral). For the rest (Dr JC, Dr Jessie Phoon, Dr Liu Shuling, Dr TanTY), they see both private and subsidised patients. If you go as a subsidised patient, you'll be randomly allocated to one of these dr.

Not sure if you can request for change as a subsidised patient. Technically speaking it's considered as choosing your dr, so considered as private patient.

We r so called subsidised cause using govt grant correct?

i was quite ok after my ER, and yesterday i seemed to be well already, so i just ate normally.. n then BAM today after lunch.. back to super bloated and crampy.

can use heat pack??

so the bloatedness will last past the ET?

Not advisable to use heat pack. Just keep tummy covered.

And yes, the bloatedness can last past ET. Mine subsided only about 5 days post-ET, then came back again about 3 days before pregnancy blood test.

We r so called subsidised cause using govt grant correct?

Not so. Subsidised in this case refers to patients referred through polyclinic. Private refers to self-referral or by GP.

Govt grant is available to patients doing IVF at restructured hospitals (KKH, NUH, SGH), regardless subsidized or private. The difference between subsidized and private for KKH is in the fees you pay for consultations and investigations at the outpatient clinics (clinic D, TPS, clinic A, etc) before and after the IVF treatment (which is done at KKIVF). Once you are referred to KKIVF for treatment (IUI, IVF) the fees are the same for all patients, of course not counting non-residents for which the fees will naturally be higher.

Actually not really...the principal doc decides on your STIMM meds, does your ER and ET and discusses with you on your embryo condition, to see if you want to blast them or not..

Doc on duty is like a co-driver, whereby they assess your condition and then comes up with the dates for ER and ET.

Principal doc then goes through your file and then find out why you failed and stuff and makes changes to your STIMM meds, or recommendations like endo scratching, etc...

Ic... I was asking my doctor why I fail....
He told me like weather... Unpredictable ... Haha!

Hi all, I just had my review today with Dr S after my MC. The queue now is at Nov! *faints

But as I'm originally an SGH patient and came over around Feb as they're having reno, Dr S askee me if I rather go back to SGH now as the queue may be shorter. Called SGH and they have slots at October..although they have technically put me in, I'm still deciding...

Dr S said she will pass me a note with the summary of my doses etc but not sure if I shd move? SGH is definitely closer to my home n work place plus I feel the nurses there are friendlier (maybe cuz KKH is always so packed and full) plus I was there for almost 2 years and have no complains. But am wondering if staying in KKH would be better in terms of continuity? I still need to go through the briefing and all again etc etc.

fyi I will be doing fresh cycle as I didn't manage to freeze anything..

Same here. I would also react the same way. Tan Heng Hao is nice but I recall having to queue for consultations with him. I'm not sure if the ivf is also scheduled according to his schedule too. I also came to him cause a fren's younger sis got twins through him.
I am under jessie phoon.. I got my ivf date in jul.. Last min call kkivf say wan to change to thh.. They told me as long haben start stimm i can change but i need to c thh once b4 change over to him.. Luckily i got a appt slot in 30jun

can just take some salt also? i feel very xin ku all of a sudden! wanna make it go away ASAP.

can just take some salt also? i feel very xin ku all of a sudden! wanna make it go away ASAP.
Have you tried 100plus? It should help but don't drink too much. It's a carbonated drink afterall.

It is likely to stay for a few days but should get better. I feel better in the morning probably because of the OHSS med taken at night. It builds up again towards lunch/dinner but gradually not as much.

Salt as in eno salts? Doubt it'll help much as it's not caused by gas. The bloatedness is caused by the swollen ovaries post-ER and probable fluid accumulation in the abdomen. Nothing much to do except to drink more fluids and take more protein. If you really cannot take it then go to O&G 24 hours, but it's pretty much symptomatic treatment and waiting it out.

Have you tried 100plus? It should help but don't drink too much. It's a carbonated drink afterall.

It is likely to stay for a few days but should get better. I feel better in the morning probably because of the OHSS med taken at night. It builds up again towards lunch/dinner but gradually not as much.
100plus got non carbonated de if not try tomato juice

there is meds for it?

thanks @humbaobao and @skyangel for your tips too. i am waiting for my husband to buy h2o or 100 plus home. really very xin ku like almost bed ridden! and feel very constipated???

there is meds for it?

thanks @humbaobao and @skyangel for your tips too. i am waiting for my husband to buy h2o or 100 plus home. really very xin ku like almost bed ridden! and feel very constipated???
We were prescribed Cabergolin for 8 days since ER. It's supposed to be for OHSS. Constipation also one of the symptoms. I didn't relieve myself until 3rd day and I'm still feeling that way despite taking fair amount of fruits. So hang in there! It will get better and if you really feel unwell, go seek consultation.

Btw, have you done any blood test for OHSS?

Back