(2015/08) Aug 2015 Mummies

Dear mommies, I was wondering, is it OK to take Anarex (similar to panadol) during pregnancy? Is it safe? I'm having a terrible migraine..

I was gravely ill for last 4 days .. in n out of nuh for drips for high fever n etc

ytd i knock out 8pm after i take medicine

Ya feeling so so but slightly better then the first day i sick

But now very worried cos i was so sick tat i afraid i miscarriage cos i taking medicine n antibiotics n etc
Haiz

I jus have this instinct tat i have Miscarriage le
I m so scared
But my next doc appt n scan is in feb... ...

I think i will go c polyclinic on monday ... do polyclinic at chua chu kang do ultrasound?

Should 7 weeks 4 days today

Based on what I recall from 2 years ago from my tcm it will be from 2nd tri onwards. For birdnest drink once a month in 2nd tri and twice in 3rd tri. Can stop at 34 weeks. For cordyceps he mixed with other herbs to boil with meat as herbal soup to drink. I will go for a refresher end of jan so if anyone has any questions to ask tcm let me know.

Can we eat 乌鸡? My MIL often make this (put alot of red dates) and my gut feeling told me to avoid. Most of the time she will prepare alot and only pair with veg so if i cant eat, i will buy my own dinner...

Dear mommies, I was wondering, is it OK to take Anarex (similar to panadol) during pregnancy? Is it safe? I'm having a terrible migraine..

U might like to see a GP to get medicine and take a good nap to ease your migraine? Or can call the kk nurse helpline for medication enquiries :)

KK Ask-A-Nurse Service
There is a call charge of 80 cents a minute
08:00 – 00:00 midnight
(Monday - Sunday, including Public Holidays)1900-KK-Nurse or 1900-556-8773

Can we eat 乌鸡? My MIL often make this (put alot of red dates) and my gut feeling told me to avoid. Most of the time she will prepare alot and only pair with veg so if i cant eat, i will buy my own dinner...

乌鸡 is fine but maybe not alot red dates, moderate will do. Maybe u ask her to substitute with wolf berries instead? Also sweet. Buy a packet, pass to her and ask her to add that instead.

Yesterday I went hockhua and the lady recommend the big type of wolfberries to go with the soup. My mum say 乌鸡 to be cooked with tang sheng, abit of red dates, wolfberries is good for pregnancy.
U might like to pop there and see what suitable herbs to get and pass to ur Mil to cook.

I was gravely ill for last 4 days .. in n out of nuh for drips for high fever n etc

But now very worried cos i was so sick tat i afraid i miscarriage cos i taking medicine n antibiotics n etc
Haiz

I m so scared

I think i will go c polyclinic on monday ... do polyclinic at chua chu kang do ultrasound?

Sometimes the baby is what u think. It's pretty common to fall sick during pregnancy and the doc will prescribe u medi that is safe for your pregnancy.. Why not u just pop in to kk O&G for a scan to ease your mind?

Last edited:
乌鸡 is fine but maybe not alot red dates, moderate will do. Maybe u ask her to substitute with wolf berries instead? Also sweet. Buy a packet, pass to her and ask her to add that instead.

Yesterday I went hockhua and the lady recommend the big type of wolfberries to go with the soup. My mum say 乌鸡 to be cooked with tang sheng, abit of red dates, wolfberries is good for pregnancy.
U might like to pop there and see what suitable herbs to get and pass to ur Mil

Thanks Sane! That day went to HockHua and the lady doesnt seems to know so i also dun have the confidence to ask further. Im thinking to go neighbourhood TCM, maybe they will b more knowledgeable...

Kk hospital o&g clinic is open 24hrs. If u really worried can just go there to do a scan.

How much i nt sure thou..

Haiz

I m so scared

Thanks Sane! That day went to HockHua and the lady doesnt seems to know so i also dun have the confidence to ask further. Im thinking to go neighbourhood TCM, maybe they will b more knowledgeable...

Or else u should go to the more experienced medical hall and enquire.
Last time they used to pre pack 螽草 with herbs for me.

Hi Mums!

I was flipping through the papers and noticed that there are a few Baby Fairs in January.

I was wondering... is it too soon to be buying stuff?

Hi mummies I just gave birth to a baby boy 6 months ago. Now my #2 is 6 weeks 2 days. Just went to the gynae yesterday to confirm.

I thought all the things to note about each trimester are still fresh in my mind but guess I forgot quite a bit too after spending the last half a year taking care of my boy.

Regarding the pumps qn posted here I bought the medela freestyle before I gave birth and it gave me so much problems during breastfeeding till I switched to spectra s9+ in October. Spectra is definitely better and way cheaper. It costs less than $200 for a pump with good suction Vs $599 for a medela. For first time mums u may want to standby a pump for the first week bcos there's a 90% chance ur baby may be admitted to hospital for jaundice (which i found out later its absolutely normal but I cried my eyes out!) and u may want to let out your bm before your breasts become engorged and painful.

Anyway congrats to everyone!

Hi Mums!

I was flipping through the papers and noticed that there are a few Baby Fairs in January.

Hi my own opinion is it is too early cos there are usually a few fairs throughout the year. Buying too early requires extra storage space and if you buy electrical appliances there is warranty period so buy later is better.

Hi ladies, I am into my 9th week tmr and my ms has turn from bad to worse. I can't keep any food or fluid down. Whatever goes in comes back right out in less than 30 mins. I have lost 9% of my pre-pregnancy weight and I am wondering if I have Hyperemesis gravidarum. I'm going for my week 9 scan tmr, I'm not sure if I can tahan the long wait to see the gynae.

There are a few more such baby fairs in later months as well.

http://www.babymarket.com.sg

I think would be easier to attend baby fairs if you know the baby gender.

If you buy now, later on if u attend some other baby fairs, u see better discounts or nicer looking items, you will regret.. Hehe..

But of course no harm just gg down to see look see look.. I myself is also tempted to go as well but i know my hubby sure wont be keen to go wif me at this early stage.

Hi Mums!

Hi ladies, I am into my 9th week tmr and my ms has turn from bad to worse. I can't keep any food or fluid down. Whatever goes in comes back right out in less than 30 mins. I have lost 9% of my pre-pregnancy weight and I am wondering if I have Hyperemesis gravidarum. I'm going for my week 9 scan tmr, I'm not sure if I can tahan the long wait to see the gynae.

Hi, suggest that you highlight to your gynae's nurse and see if can see him/her earlier or go kkh. It does sound worrying if you are unable to keep anything down for long period of time. Can you try to take sips of 100 plus/H2O? At least the salt all that can help to keep you hydrated.

Or else u should go to the more experienced medical hall and enquire.
Last time they used to pre pack 螽草 with herbs for me.

I will go to the traditional and experienced tcm (imo family biz)... and u r right, shld buy n ask MIL to cook. To quest her what ingred she put inside doesnt sound sensitive/respectful too. Thanks Sane!

Hi Cadencemum, i guess u better check ur gynae tmr. Im also encountering morning sickness. Cant eat alot of food. The thots of certain food makes me wanna puke.. seriously i hope everything stop soon.

Im curious how all the mummies here overcome the ms during working hours? Esp now b4 week 12. I am not comfortable to tell my colleagues about it yet. But the ms is so bad that i cant stomach alot of food. And feeling super nauseous that im sure its affecting my work..

Hi Cadencemum, i guess u better check ur gynae tmr. Im also encountering morning sickness. Cant eat alot of food. The thots of certain food makes me wanna puke.. seriously i hope everything stop soon.

Im curious how all the mummies here overcome the ms during working hours? Esp now b4 week 12. I am not comfortable to tell my colleagues about it yet. But the ms is so bad that i cant stomach alot of food. And feeling super nauseous that im sure its affecting my work..

Hi, facing the same problem too at work. Either too tired or gagging. But at least have not vomited outright in front of cols yet. Sometimes I take sweets to try and soothe the nausea but not exactly v useful. How about trying sour plum? Or you can consider using sea bands? I bought a pair recently from guardian n it seems to curb my nausea abit but now i dare not wear because MS suddenly improved, i also feel worried.

i experience very frequent cramps. sometimes its really very pain. not sure if this is norm. i have to wait very long for my appt to check with the gynae
You might wana try contact ure Gynae to fix an earlier appt? Try to have more bed rest but best to see Gynae earlier. Or u try to book others? I saw mine the next day I tested positive.
Usually if u highlight you having pain & cramp, the nurse will try to slot you in

Panadol is the only safe painkiller wor I am afraid.
I heard Peppermint young living essential oil is effective for migraine. You may wan to try?
I am a new user & using it for shoulder n backaches but am minimizing now. Though YL website states Peppermint safe for preg, I chance upon a website by a doctor suggesting oil free for first trim at least as the oils(same as drugs) can cross the placenta to the foetus. Should try to avoid esp during the development of heartbeat.

Haiz

I m so scared

Hope you are feeling much better now. U can ask for Prof Biswas at Nuh, Ruby clinic. Tell nurse your condition, I believe they will try to fix an appt for you. He believes where necessary, medication to cure the sickness promptly is better than drug-free as the infection might harm both baby & mummy..

During my #1,I was down with bad cough & was admitted A&E. Due to preg the doc refused to prescribe me medicine n lead to Bronchitis. Went back to Prof Biswas & he ordered a series of bloodtest, phlegm works etc. The prolong dragging has lead to slight inflection of my lungs too :(

Me too quite bad. Sometimes I'll vomit right after intake & in undigested form, whole chunk out from the throat & causes bad gastric pain.
Reluctant to eat maxalon( vomit med) and ranitidine(gastric discomfort) but boh bian. Start popping the med Le.
I find sipping 100+ when I feel nauseous helps. At times warm drinks help.
skittles works much better than sour plum for me this round. You might wan giv it a try?
hang in there!!! We will get better

Hi Mums!

In my opinion it is very early to start buying.. haha.. every year there are at least 4 baby fairs i think may or june got one also. I think best time to buy is 2nd tri after finding out gender. 3rd tri will be too tired. Haha.

In my opinion it is very early to start buying.. haha.. every year there are at least 4 baby fairs i think may or june got one also. I think best time to buy is 2nd tri after finding out gender. 3rd tri will be too tired. Haha.

This time, I think i will learn from the previous experience and do the following:
1. Avoid buying only the expensive diapers. This time I will use cheaper (ntuc diaper works v well for my gal) for day and the more ex diapers for night.
2. Get fewer 125ml bottles because babies increase their milk intake very fast. I will get more 330ml bottles this time but will use only 2 at the same time.
I used more than 5 the last time and always filled up the steriliser with bottles.
4. Skip the baby cot/play pen. My gal slept in the sarong or on the bed with me instead and her play pen became the white elephant. I just dismantle it and gave it away.
5. Skipped the baby lining. Brought boxes and gave them away.
6. Skipped the baby powder and use cream powder instead to prevent her from inhaling it.
7. Avoid buying so many baby clothes. She never get a chance to wear and mostly outgrown after a few wears. I will mostly only buy from the bulk home wear in Bugis.
8. Getting a lighter stroller, easier to navigate among the crowd, go up the escalator and carry around.
9. Learning how to latch properly. I used to pump out and feed via bottle. Latching direct is so much easier especially for night feed.
10. Getting so many baby stuff (anything with the word, baby and I will buy it) and stock up but give mostly away as don't really use it.
11. Kiss and cuddle the baby more. Don't bother about the myths that cuddling them more will make them more clingy.
Babies grow up sooooooooo fast, u will miss their baby time.

I will avoid the crowded fairs this time and probably will stocking up the diapers only if there is promotion. ;)

Last edited:
MS seems to get abit worse today, vomited even before I brushed my teeth. Really have to surrender and take MC. I woke up feeling like I am sick for many days and without food when I did have dinner yesterday. Sigh.

I am also sick for awhile, took some med by GP at the start but dare not keep taking. Now still having cough n phelgm. Feeling so tired...

MS seems to get abit worse today, vomited even before I brushed my teeth. Really have to surrender and take MC. I woke up feeling like I am sick for many days and without food when I did have dinner yesterday. Sigh.

I am also sick for awhile, took some med by GP at the start but dare not keep taking. Now still having cough n phelgm. Feeling so tired...
Pigging, rest well & speedy recovery. Try some hot lemon drink with honey for the cough.
Me too..Took 2 sips of warm water & blab out like tons of it..

This time, I think i will learn from the previous experience and do the following:
1. Avoid buying only the expensive diapers. This time I will use cheaper (ntuc diaper works v well for my gal) for day and the more ex diapers for night.
2. Get fewer 125ml bottles because babies increase their milk intake very fast. I will get more 330ml bottles this time but will use only 2 at the same time.
I used more than 5 the last time and always filled up the steriliser with bottles.
4. Skip the baby cot/play pen. My gal slept in the sarong or on the bed with me instead and her play pen became the white elephant. I just dismantle it and gave it away.
5. Skipped the baby lining. Brought boxes and gave them away.
6. Skipped the baby powder and use cream powder instead to prevent her from inhaling it.
7. Avoid buying so many baby clothes. She never get a chance to wear and mostly outgrown after a few wears. I will mostly only buy from the bulk home wear in Bugis.
8. Getting a lighter stroller, easier to navigate among the crowd, go up the escalator and carry around.
9. Learning how to latch properly. I used to pump out and feed via bottle. Latching direct is so much easier especially for night feed.
10. Getting so many baby stuff (anything with the word, baby and I will buy it) and stock up but give mostly away as don't really use it.
11. Kiss and cuddle the baby more. Don't bother about the myths that cuddling them more will make them more clingy.
Babies grow up sooooooooo fast, u will miss their baby time.

I will avoid the crowded fairs this time and probably will stocking up the diapers only if there is promotion. ;)
Nice list :) shall share some of my thoughts too.

I use a mix of cloth and disposable diapers. Partly cos we felt it is more environmental friendly. So disposables are mainly for sleeping times and going out for long periods.
Totally agree on not buying too many clothes. I usually let him wear hand me downs. Even more comfy. And since they outgrow so fast it is still quite good condition.
The cot is also a good point! I took over my sis' old cot but after 1 year I trained him to sleep on a mattress on the floor. Easier and no worry that he will fall out. He fell off my bed several times and from cot too. So for mommies who are considering getting a cot can reconsider. Another benefit of sleeping on mattress is that it is in line with Montessori method. The child can easily access to his or her bed thereby fostering independence and confidence.

Pigging, rest well & speedy recovery. Try some hot lemon drink with honey for the cough.

Thanks jayjtan for your advice. Hopefully we all feel better soon.

i took panadol for the 1st time few days back as i had horrible headache that peppermint oil didnt help

When and how we can know the baby gender? Is it only through the detailed scan like some mummies mentioned?

Yup 20th week scan. And also the time to scan for abnormalities. I did a home test using baking soda and it turned out accurate but it might be a coincidence too

Pregnancy is so prone to sickness. I got severe ms that time at work. Somemore under so much pressure, felt very depressed.
There's nothing to be done except to pray that ms will be over soon.

Nice list :) shall share some of my thoughts too.

I use a mix of cloth and disposable diapers. Partly cos we felt it is more environmental friendly. So disposables are mainly for sleeping times and going out for long periods.
Totally agree on not buying too many clothes. I usually let him wear hand me downs. Even more comfy. And since they outgrow so fast it is still quite good condition.
The cot is also a good point! I took over my sis' old cot but after 1 year I trained him to sleep on a mattress on the floor. Easier and no worry that he will fall out. He fell off my bed several times and from cot too. So for mommies who are considering getting a cot can reconsider. Another benefit of sleeping on mattress is that it is in line with Montessori method. The child can easily access to his or her bed thereby fostering independence and confidence.

U don't need to buy too much right as the age gap is so near. Can save on steriliser, stroller and baby clothes too if u keep them.
Books and toys can also be shared. :)
So nice and your boy will have companion closer to his age.
At least your boy is willing to sleep on the mattress, my gal like to squeeze in between us and both of us are so big size :confused:

When and how we can know the baby gender? Is it only through the detailed scan like some mummies mentioned?

I can tell my gal's gender at week 14 :) and also during the Oscar test for my previous pregnancy.

Yup 20th week scan. And also the time to scan for abnormalities. I did a home test using baking soda and it turned out accurate but it might be a coincidence too

U can tell the gender during the Oscar test too? So exciting :):D I m looking forward to my test.

How u test it using baking soda... heehee

I hate to take plain water now. Brush teeth also will puke sometimes. I feel v bad coz i drank sweet stuff as plain water taste yucky to me now.

I can tell my gal's gender at week 14 :) and also during the Oscar test for my previous pregnancy.

U can tell the gender during the Oscar test too? So exciting :):D I m looking forward to my test.

I wanna know how to test wif baking soda too.

Pregnancy is so prone to sickness. I got severe ms that time at work. Somemore under so much pressure, felt very depressed.
There's nothing to be done except to pray that ms will be over soon.

U don't need to buy too much right as the age gap is so near. Can save on steriliser, stroller and baby clothes too if u keep them.
Books and toys can also be shared. :)
So nice and your boy will have companion closer to his age.
At least your boy is willing to sleep on the mattress, my gal like to squeeze in between us and both of us are so big size :confused:

Yah, really prone to sickness. Just hope everything is fine with baby since still in first trimester, everything is unpredictable and my nx scan is close to another 2 more weeks.

Sorry pardon me if im wrong... So we can take harmony test at week 12 or Oscar test at week 14? Both can find out gender? Is it thru blood test?

Same here.. But i keep telling myself i have to drink more water so wont fall sick. Hehe..

As for brushing of teeth, i also duno y it will make me 'wanna' puke. Haiz..

Nowadays before dinner i feel hungry, then after eating, i wanna puke...

I hate to take plain water now. Brush teeth also will puke sometimes. I feel v bad coz i drank sweet stuff as plain water taste yucky to me now.

I read somewhere about one should not buy a pram too early & leave it in the house..

I guess is one of those 'pantang' reasoning..

I read somewhere about one should not buy a pram too early & leave it in the house..

What my friend did was to bring the baby along to try out pram and then buy the one that the baby likes haha.
Another thing most people do is when friends want to buy gifts get them to pool so can buy big ticket items. My hubby's colleague pooled together to get us a Combi pram. Rather than getting something that you don't need or already have. Last time a friend received 3 baby walkers on his gal's 1st bday!

Yah, really prone to sickness. Just hope everything is fine with baby since still in first trimester, everything is unpredictable and my nx scan is close to another 2 more weeks.

Same and also v afraid of coldness too, will get chills easily. I always wake up in the middle of the night with chills, cant sleep really well.

Somehow if I lay flat on the stomach, can feel there's something pressing down.

Now the ms is getting better, not so nausea and it's only getting worse at night time.

We shall all hang on there.

Actually not really cause for those with elder kids, there's ready baby stuff in the house already.

Some friends I know only buy the stroller after birth because they are not sure whether they need it. Some prefer to use ergo carrier instead.
I am a stroller person, without it, it is impossible to bring my gal out :D and I hang all my barang barang on it too. Gave my previous one away but this time not intending to buy the baby stuff so fast cause it takes up space and also I feel quite lazy
, I don't feel too enthusiastic on the preparation compared to my 1st.

What my friend did was to bring the baby along to try out pram and then buy the one that the baby likes haha.
Another thing most people do is when friends want to buy gifts get them to pool so can buy big ticket items. My hubby's colleague pooled together to get us a Combi pram. Rather than getting something that you don't need or already have. Last time a friend received 3 baby walkers on his gal's 1st bday!

That's y I prefer angbao hehe .... the worst to receive is baby clothing set. I can't believe I still have 2 unopened set at home. :D

I am also looking for combi stroller this time, used to it already. Keke ...

Tonight I will try haha

Are u hoping for a bb gal this time :)

3??!! :eek:

But shd be able to sell away at online sites..

Ya. That is what me & my friends do when one of us in the grp give birth/hv bb shower.. We asked her what she haven buy, so we buy for her....

So u put 2 tsp of baking soda into your urine, wait for it to fizzle or not. Mine fizzled - meaning boy. Did the test 3 times on different days. Calendar also said it's a boy. But it could just be a coincidence. Some YouTubers claimed it's accurate too. U can Google videos just for the fun of it. :)

Back