(2015/01) Jan 2015 Mummies

wah so young eat brown rice
He starts at 6mths till now loh... But will switch to white if not feeling well.

U got ntuc finest to look for this brand Fresh Rice. It's organic brown rice. Cook as per norm rice. Juz add a bit more water if u prefer softer. Not diff to prep or to eat. :) Start with brown don't straight go to Red rice. That is harder.

Oh I like multigrain too... If eat sandwiches outside will order, at hm nobody eat also. Buy wasted

He starts at 6mths till now loh... But will switch to white if not feeling well.

U got ntuc finest to look for this brand Fresh Rice. It's organic brown rice. Cook as per norm rice. Juz add a bit more water if u prefer softer. Not diff to prep or to eat. :) Start with brown don't straight go to Red rice. That is harder.

Oh I like multigrain too... If eat sandwiches outside will order, at hm nobody eat also. Buy wasted
i know .. but still family members all dun like so no choice... typical chinse only white fragance rice then = rice haiz ...

my multigrain bread only i eat ..so one loaf just nice for 5 working day lolz ..i prefer guardina one cos the grain really obvious unlike sunshine one

i know .. but still family members all dun like so no choice... typical chinse only white fragance rice then = rice haiz ...

my multigrain bread only i eat ..so one loaf just nice for 5 working day lolz ..i prefer guardina one cos the grain really obvious unlike sunshine one

ya..the guardinia is really nice..The multi grain bread can lasts us only for 1 day if I pack sandwich for both my husband and I.

Hi all mummies, I bought starter bottles kit from MAM and intend to buy second hand pigeon multi function sterilizer and warmer.. may I know if the MAM bottles will fit?

Also I am quite unsure how do u store expressed milk? Can someone explain in detail? As in do we freeze it first then thraw for use later (maybe 2 to 3 hrs) or put into normal fridge then use it within 24 hrs by warming it?
And if I dun buy warmer is it true just by running water on the frozen milk then put in warm water for 15mins is gd enough for baby feed? It is really a steep learning curve for me.. tia for sharing :)

Hi all mummies, I bought starter bottles kit from MAM and intend to buy second hand pigeon multi function sterilizer and warmer.. may I know if the MAM bottles will fit?

Also I am quite unsure how do u store expressed milk? Can someone explain in detail? As in do we freeze it first then thraw for use later (maybe 2 to 3 hrs) or put into normal fridge then use it within 24 hrs by warming it?
And if I dun buy warmer is it true just by running water on the frozen milk then put in warm water for 15mins is gd enough for baby feed? It is really a steep learning curve for me.. tia for sharing :)
i think if u take the milk out straight from the freezer it will take longer for a warm water bath to warm the milk.

wholemeal bread still lose to multi grain bread leh..

multi grain bread the reading is damn low one lolz

brown rice never like them and hard to prepare also..cannot expect my mom to just cook brownrice and force everyone to eat with me so for me i just take lesser rice more vege or meat lor then exercise
ya..the guardinia is really nice..The multi grain bread can lasts us only for 1 day if I pack sandwich for both my husband and I.

But just to share... A lot of wholemeal bread in SG is not really 100% wholemeal flour. Most are still mixed with some % of wheat flour. So it's not really wholemeal bread. So far I think there are only 2 breads on the supermarket shelves that are 100% wholemeal - Junior Loaf Super Soft & Fine Enriched Wholemeal Bread and Sunshine Classic Wholemeal (the one in green packaging)

One item I feel is really low GI is overnight oats. I've made overnight oats to eat for breakfast quite frequently for hubby and myself and it's really quite filling, can keep me full till lunch and beyond....

Suggest you join this FB group... there are a lot of questions similar to yours... I think it is a steep learning curve for anyone who is a first time mum!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/401286426675718/?fref=ts

These questions you can also ask the Lactation Consultants when they visit you after you give birth, or when they conduct your antenatal class....

Even b4 pregnant I also eat wholemeal bread and brown rice le. Haiz. Anyway my gynae gave me a list of PD to choose. She say these PDs can visit TMC upon request. If got other PD I want they will contact and chk if they will come. Any recommendations? I stay west side.

Even b4 pregnant I also eat wholemeal bread and brown rice le. Haiz. Anyway my gynae gave me a list of PD to choose. She say these PDs can visit TMC upon request. If got other PD I want they will contact and chk if they will come. Any recommendations? I stay west side.

My sister has been using Dr Dorothy Ong who has her own clinic at Bt Timah Plaza, and I'll prob use her for my bb. She doesn't do hospital visits though, so have to get another PD to take care first in the hosp.

Who do u have on your list in the west side??? I'm also in the west side at Bt Batok...

Last edited:
My sister has been using Dr Dorothy Ong who has her own clinic at Bt Timah Plaza, and I'll prob use her for my bb. She doesn't do hospital visits though, so have to get another PD to take care first in the hosp.

Who do u have on your list in the west side??? I'm also in the west side at Bt Batok...
West side only cck kidslink. Anyway we no need to keep using them de right?

Pd I think I'm going to op for Dr Ong eng keow from Mt.A. #1 was with Dr Ang Ai Tin, her waiting time was crazy. At least 1-2 hour with appt. And she is too chop chop for my liking.

@PTB7674 u manage to order? Having a girl is so much fun! Can buy so many pretty stuff! :)

Pd I think I'm going to op for Dr Ong eng keow from Mt.A. #1 was with Dr Ang Ai Tin, her waiting time was crazy. At least 1-2 hour with appt. And she is too chop chop for my liking.

@PTB7674 u manage to order? Having a girl is so much fun! Can buy so many pretty stuff! :)
yes yes.. just ordered lolz...cannot use their visa or master...must use paypal leh.. anyway paypal also use CC so no issue... hohoho

girl means spend more money leh..but i like their boy series too ... too bad those nice one for my boy all no size haiz

But just to share... A lot of wholemeal bread in SG is not really 100% wholemeal flour. Most are still mixed with some % of wheat flour. So it's not really wholemeal bread. So far I think there are only 2 breads on the supermarket shelves that are 100% wholemeal - Junior Loaf Super Soft & Fine Enriched Wholemeal Bread and Sunshine Classic Wholemeal (the one in green packaging)

One item I feel is really low GI is overnight oats. I've made overnight oats to eat for breakfast quite frequently for hubby and myself and it's really quite filling, can keep me full till lunch and beyond....
Can share any nice receipe for 1st timer ? Nv made overnight oats before but go online search seem quite complicated n dun know use what oats

Can share any nice receipe for 1st timer ? Nv made overnight oats before but go online search seem quite complicated n dun know use what oats

http://www.ferventfoodie.com/2010/08/24/overnight-oats-for-dummies-2/

This is a good basic recipe that you can follow... Then what you want to throw in is up to you...

Typically what I do is this -
1/2 cup rolled oats and muesli (museli is optional.... You can juz use oats only... I like a mix of both)
3/4 cup liquid (usually yoghurt and/or milk or a mix, you can use flavored milk or soy milk)
2 teaspoon honey/maple syrup
Dried fruits (raisins/apricots/cranberries/prunes)

Mixed everything together evenly in a container and place in fridge overnight.

For oats I am using this - http://www.iherb.com/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Old-Fashioned-Rolled-Oats-32-oz-907-g/29675 You can use any oats you want or juz get rolled oats from the supermarket... If you use instant or quick cook oats then you may want to use slightly less liquid cuz the oats are processed more thinly so less liquid required to get it soft... Conversely if you are using steel cut oats please use more liquid...

I like my oats more runny, so I use more milk... For hubby's he prefers to use more yoghurt. When we finish our jam or peanut butter, we will keep the container and use it for the oats as can use up the leftover on the jar which adds the sweetness (will skip honey if I use a leftover jar).

In the AM juz before eating I will throw in fresh fruits like banana etc and nuts/seeds... Whatever u like.... Sometimes hubby feels like it he will crumble a choc chip cookie and throw it in too. :)

Last edited:
Some pictures of our overnight oats...

image.jpg This is done with Marigold mixed berry yoghurt. Added more raisins and fresh blueberries and an almond/pumpkin/sunflower nut mix I bought at NTUC.
image.jpg This is hubby's overnight oats in a peanut butter jar so you can see the leftover PB on the sides... Added banana and the same nut mix and a choc chip cookie ( at the top right) in the morning before eating...

West side only cck kidslink. Anyway we no need to keep using them de right?
Don't think need to visit PD for everything... The immunizations can do at normal GP if they offer or poly clinic... PD I think is good as a standby for more serious cases etc,,,

Experienced mummies pls share your thoughts...

Yea I think so too - re using gp for immunizations instead of pd.

Btw any good gp around telok blangah tiong bahru to recommend for gp for young children?

@PTB7674 I did at tmc. But at my gynae clinic not at the lab. Result got it on the same day. Clinic will call.

U all switch to brown rice and wholemeal bread lah.... I think it really helps
I am on diet since ard 2 mth plus ago as normal urine strip tested abit high in sugar den gynae asked to go for GD test sian lor the glucose test showed sugar level very high so from there gynae asked to c endocrine dr den dr said no dessert no sugar stuffs cut down cabor also. From everyday poke finger to twice a week one weekday one weekend cos dr said weekend reading might be diff as tend to eat more good food on weekend.
Brown rice I cooked once faint lor so dry till cannot eat. Heard from friend saying brown rice need to put more water than normal rice. Yet to try 2nd attempt.
Wholemeal bread from scare to eat now feel it is nice. Haha :)

I am on diet since ard 2 mth plus ago as normal urine strip tested abit high in sugar den gynae asked to go for GD test sian lor the glucose test showed sugar level very high so from there gynae asked to c endocrine dr den dr said no dessert no sugar stuffs cut down cabor also. From everyday poke finger to twice a week one weekday one weekend cos dr said weekend reading might be diff as tend to eat more good food on weekend.
Brown rice I cooked once faint lor so dry till cannot eat. Heard from friend saying brown rice need to put more water than normal rice. Yet to try 2nd attempt.
Like very kelian right ? Pple pregnant I pregnant but pple can eat all kind of things and we need discipline and self control lolz

wholemeal bread still lose to multi grain bread leh..

multi grain bread the reading is damn low one lolz

brown rice never like them and hard to prepare also..cannot expect my mom to just cook brownrice and force everyone to eat with me so for me i just take lesser rice more vege or meat lor then exercise

I eat this Crystal Brown Rice that tastes and look like white rice. I forgot what brand. It has a new packaging-a lady farmer's picture at the front. My mum is the one who recommended to me, maybe your mum might like it too.

Jia you!!! Walk more n eat more fibre stuff :)

Like very kelian right ? Pple pregnant I pregnant but pple can eat all kind of things and we need discipline and self control lolz
We are wonder woman! !!! Jia you!!!

I got no discipline but i will try eat more fibre n walk more to off set.

This pregnancy i have almost total no appetite. . Sometimes i can only eat 1 meal for whole day n i dun feel like eating liao. N have to force myself at least abit...

So i eat what i feel like eating then add veg n more walking ...

Hi I stopped overnight oats when my mum said "raw oats can eat meh - esp when pregnant". I use the non-instant oats cause I read that instant oats not good.

Depending on the brand of brown rice, some need to soak for 1-2h before cooking, some don't need. By adding more water, the rice will be softer. Or try to steam the rice instead of cooking by rice cooker. It's softer that way too.

The poking is v sianz loh I understand.... Been thro that for 1st preg when I was borderline case. Was made to poke b4 and after every meal for a week +. Lucky reading stable, so no need to continue. Gynae says every pregnancy is diff, this time round I'm cleared. So finger crossed.

I eat this Crystal Brown Rice that tastes and look like white rice. I forgot what brand. It has a new packaging-a lady farmer's picture at the front. My mum is the one who recommended to me, maybe your mum might like it too.
my stubborn mum see price she wont buy even though she is not the one paying ... this kind the person must be willing to start then work else no use forcing them

Depending on the brand of brown rice, some need to soak for 1-2h before cooking, some don't need. By adding more water, the rice will be softer. Or try to steam the rice instead of cooking by rice cooker. It's softer that way too.

The poking is v sianz loh I understand.... Been thro that for 1st preg when I was borderline case. Was made to poke b4 and after every meal for a week +. Lucky reading stable, so no need to continue. Gynae says every pregnancy is diff, this time round I'm cleared. So finger crossed.
hopefully i also cleared like you

Hi I stopped overnight oats when my mum said "raw oats can eat meh - esp when pregnant". I use the non-instant oats cause I read that instant oats not good.

I eat muesli for breakfast nearly everyday since years ago. It's oats and has nuts and raisins in it and I add in other stuff like cranberries. No need cook, used to drink full cream milk but recently switched to low fat. The brand I currently eating is Lowan, sold at ntuc, it's nice! And I like that the oats are not fried or baked kind, but just normal dried.

@Sugarlove87 I was also considering the combi urban walker lite but read that only 2 wheels can rotate when reverse? Does it still move smoothly? I've yet to try it..

Yupz, only 2 wheels can rotate when you are facing the baby.

The husband taught me it works like a forklift. Eg. If you want to turn, normally, you will start turning when your front wheels reach the corner. But when you are facing the baby, only start turning when your back wheels reach the corner. Dnt turn too early because that causes you to drag the stroller. I practised few times at home. Once you get a concept, it is easy.

I knew about this 2 wheels before purchasing but since I dnt wanna spend too much on a stroller, Im okay with this lil imperfection. In addition, I think I will not face the baby that often. Maybe the first few mths only.

I eat muesli for breakfast nearly everyday since years ago. It's oats and has nuts and raisins in it and I add in other stuff like cranberries. No need cook, used to drink full cream milk but recently switched to low fat. The brand I currently eating is Lowan, sold at ntuc, it's nice! And I like that the oats are not fried or baked kind, but just normal dried.
nice meh ... i tried one but dun like it :p

I wanted to buy Ingenuity Baby bouncer but the husband is not too keen because can only use for few months. Where do you put the baby during daytime when you want to cook or do some chores?

I can only think of baby bouncer, playpen or cot. Cot can't because it is in the master bedroom. Dnt wanna buy playpen and put in living room because too bulky. My next best option is baby bouncer.

Any suggestions?

Screen_Shot_2014-10-11_at_7.05.05_pm_1024x1024.png

I wanted to buy Ingenuity Baby bouncer but the husband is not too keen because can only use for few months. Where do you put the baby during daytime when you want to cook or do some chores?

I can only think of baby bouncer, playpen or cot. Cot can't because it is in the master bedroom. Dnt wanna buy playpen and put in living room because too bulky. My next best option is baby bouncer.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 403416

you can leave your bb on the mattress in the living room instead. of course baby bouncer is another alternative.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 403416
bouncer for me

If you think about it, when you cook oats, you are essentially softening it with water and hot milk. If you do overnight oats, you are also softening the oats, but with cold milk. I think your mum is more concerned about the fact that the milk is cold, not that the oats is raw??? My mum doesn't like me to eat cold stuff in the morning, incl orange juice, cold milk etc etc...

Instant oats just went through more processing than rolled oats. It's much thinner because of the longer processing (rolling and steaming) time, but the nutrients remain the same.

http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/types-of-oats

Last edited:
Haha till endocrine dr commented I nv gain weight. He said ppl usually think they are pregnant so must eat more or double but me is scare to eat scare sugar level not under control till see food also scare to eat. Also his fault la ask me imagine if the food is sweet don eat so many food outside looks sweet to me lor.
Dh asked to eat more but I told him I prefer gain weight slowly eat as per normal than eat many den dr asked to on strict diet I scare cannot take it lor cos heard friend says that her friend gain too many till dr put her on strict diet can only eat abit lor.
Haha ya lor from every poke shout out till abit numb le but I usually poke last two fingers. Dh can still says no pain alamak wait he everyday poke den he know the feeling lor n c food cannot eat no dessert also leh. Not easy lor ppl can eat anything n as many as they can. But we can pull thru haha :p

not complicated but you must buy/think in advance what you want to put in the jar...

liquid in first at least filled half the jar - milk/soy milk/ nut milk
rolled oats - i use 5 heaps of table spoon for brekkie
sweeterner - greek yogurt/preserves/cocoa powder/cinnamon powder/avocado puree/
dried stuffs - pine nuts/dried fruits

overnight oats - only good for 2-3 days in fridge...dun keep for too long!

@Give a hope - yes brown rice have to put about a cup more water than you use for cooking white rice. Alternatively you can try soak the brown rice over night, then try put in half cup more water than white rice ... texture will be softer.

The problem is dunno the brown rice that I bought need to put how many water lor. One time wasted my effort abit scare liao. Now eat normal rice but eat abit more food veggie n meat we need morw protein food.

If you think about it, when you cook oats, you are essentially softening it with water and hot milk. If you do overnight oats, you are also softening the oats, but with cold milk. I think your mum is more concerned about the fact that the milk is cold, not that the oats is raw??? My mum doesn't like me to eat cold stuff in the morning, incl orange juice, cold milk etc etc...

Instant oats just went through more processing than rolled oats. It's much thinner because of the longer processing (rolling and steaming) time, but the nutrients remain the same.

http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/types-of-oats

erm actually instant oats has less nutrients components than rolled oats, even lesser than steel cut oats (but nobody use steel cut oats to make overnight oats)...so better to stick to rolled oats

@Give a hope oh ya...Avoid white rice porridge! That is v high in sugar!
Mmm rheumatologiest commented I ate white rice porridge ok according to the reading. Haha mbe bought outside ones more water than rice for porridge. She said some ppl cannot eat certain food some ppl ok so must poke finger to c reading den only know what can eat what food cannot.

Back