Short Nasal Bone Length

Hi mummies, can i ask if any one has any experience with a slightly shorter nasal bone length measured at 20th week Fetal Anomaly scan ? I had my scan at 19week 4 days and it measures 4.1mm, the 5th percentile to hit is 4.5mm, this is the only marker that was flagged , and doctor says it may be linked to DS, I am so worried. I did my Harmony test but the results will only come back in 2 weeks time, the wait is so agonizing and I hope someone can share their experience with me here, thank you so much!

Hi mummies, can i ask if any one has any experience with a slightly shorter nasal bone length measured at 20th week Fetal Anomaly scan ? I had my scan at 19week 4 days and it measures 4.1mm, the 5th percentile to hit is 4.5mm, this is the only marker that was flagged , and doctor says it may be linked to DS, I am so worried. I did my Harmony test but the results will only come back in 2 weeks time, the wait is so agonizing and I hope someone can share their experience with me here, thank you so much!

Hi somewhere have you done the Oscar scan before? What is the result? I also just do my harmony test this morning. I'm also worry for that.

Hi celine983,

Yup, I did my Oscar scan in my 12th week and my results were low risk at 1:1748 ( for trisomy21 ), but having detected a short nasal will increase my chances by 10 folds according to the gynae, which then throws me into borderline risk, that is why I am very worried too and I totally understand how you are feeling right now..

Hi somewhere,

My rating for trisomy 21 was 1:38 I not sure how they calculate base on my rating which how many percent am I linked to DS? Is the calculation was 100/38 = 2.6% out of 100% ? I'm not sure my my baby nasal my gynae never mention this to me but I got the Oscar scan report with me where can find this?

Hi celine983,

Usually at 12th week scan, they will just scan the prescence of nasal bone ( you should be able to find this in your report ) and not the length. In my case, it was during the fifth month FA scan that they measured the nasal bone length.

From what i know, oscar test results are usually in ratio, that is your risk of 1:XX of chances of a DS baby.

I know its going to be real hard not to worry, but do look on the bright side, trust that your baby will be ok. :)

Hi Celine,

My harmony test result is back and results is low risk for Trisomy 21,18, 13. I can finally put my heart at ease.
Is your test result out ? If not, i understand how you are feeling and want to tell you to hang in there and everything will be ok like mine!

hi somewhere over the rainbow! happy for your low risk results.
I am a silent reader. the sono detected an absent nasal bone during my oscar. so now i am patiently (not really! anxiously! actually) waiting for my harmony test results.

did ur gynae say nasal bone may grow later in the pregnancy? I am so worried for mine.... :(

Hi Celine,

My harmony test result is back and results is low risk for Trisomy 21,18, 13. I can finally put my heart at ease.
Is your test result out ? If not, i understand how you are feeling and want to tell you to hang in there and everything will be ok like mine!

Hi Somewhere,

When did you conduct the harmony test? How long have you been wait for?

@wanderlusty
yes, my gynae did mentioned about "delayed ossification" which means the bone grows at a slower pace / later stage.
I have read on some forums online that sometimes they cant see the nasal bone in the scan because of the position of the baby , or for some reasons, but when they gave birth, the baby actually has a nasal bone. The harmony test will be a much more accurate indicator of your baby's health instead of the scan. If there are no other markers shown other than the nasal bone, perhaps all is well, you must have faith ok!

I'm in my 13th wk and during my Oscar scan at 12wk 0days the nasal bone is measured at 2.2mm with NT1.6mm but my ratio for T21 is 1:35 I'm now waiting anxiously for the harmony test result. Really praying hard

Back