Question on Maternity Packages & Medisave Claims

snowyflake

Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - 11:51 pm:
Hi all, I am a first time mum and am confused when comparing the maternity packages for Mount A and TMC as the descriptions are different. I need some advise here on how to read the packages.

For reference:
TMC packages - http://www.thomsonmedical.com/maternity-packages/
Mt A packages- http://www.mtalvernia-hospital.org/Maternity-Packages.asp

From the list, assuming I want to take up a single bedded room, under scenario of Normal Delivery w/ Epidural;
Mt A cost is $2948.92-$1650(Medisave claim)= $1298.92 cash payable
TMC cost is $3227.10-$1400-$700 (Medisave claim)= $1127.10

So, although Mt A cost looks lower but after the Medisave claim, it's actually more cash payable?
Why are the claims for the hospitals different? I thought Medisave claims is controlled by government and should be the same regardless of hospitals?

Need some good advise here, thanks in advance!

My dear, medisave claims should be capped at certain percentage across all hospitals including KKH as well.

The services offered by each hospital varies thus the bill varies. The price listed on their web is only an indication on how much you need to prepare prior the admission if you fall under the "ideal scenario". Most of the time, it should not vary too much from what you are seeing from the web. And i suppose most hospitals would have credit card installment in case you do have much cash in hand.

Trust me, the price will not be main factor if you are choosing the two excellent private hospitals ($100++ difference.)

But there are few things that i would think you may want to consider here.

1) Accessibility of the hospital including Parking, Parking for your visitors..
2) Reviews of the hospital (Food, Services, Facilities, what's going on within the hospital, etc)
3) Gynae's preference

I think they would be glad to receive your call if you need further clarifications on the cost. And if you have the time, i would recommend you to go for their site tour.

Our delivery was done in Mt A and whatever tools and names that you have heard of (forceps, Vacuum, emergency OT) we have used it:D Our baby has to stay in NICU for a week.

To us at that point of time, cost is not the most important factor after all even though we are only prepared for "ideal scenario"

After all the ups and downs, we are still glad that we have chosen MT A instead. :D

Back