Good Prenatal and/or TTC Supplements

Cantaloupe

Share and/or recommend the essential supplements you and your dh are taking.

I just started to take Blackmores Conceive Well (CW) and I thought it should be enough to cover the basic needs. However, there are some other supplements receiving good reviews form people who are TTC.

Any opinion/advice?

1. Evening Primrose Oil
Promotes and maintain hormonal balance, ease PMS, making CM thinner and more plentiful (ideal cervical mucus will be the consistency of raw egg white: thin and sticky), but gotta stop after ovulation to avoid potential negative side effects if the fertilized egg ends up implanting in the uterus as it seems to make the uterus contract slightly and to strengthen the cells in the uterine wall.

2. Royal Jelly
Helps to regulate female sex hormone and enhance the production of testosterone (amino acid Arginine, which lacking of this in men can result in a low sperm count). I am taking the one from Suntory, expensive maintenance. Any cheaper alternative brand?

3. Maca
"Laboratory studies of rats have found that they had improved fertility after eating maca - females increased egg follicle development and male increased sperm count. In Peru maca is given to livestock to improve fertility a well as strength." From Good Medicine Magazine Australia.
Famous in its strong effect on sex drive (arouse sexual desire), enhance energy/stamina, regulate imbalanced hormone. For female, maca nutritionally supports the glands in the body to optimal function according to the individuals unique requirements rather than introducing hormones from outside. However, it is not wise to take it if you are using medications that increase fertility, as well as with ginseng.

I have also heard that dear husband should take folic acid as well when we are trying to concieve.
Since CW consists a number of generic vitamins including folic acid, can he take CW also?

Please comment and thanks in advance for your constructive advice :)

Maca is known commonly as Peruvian Ginseng. It is a herbaceous biennial plant of the crucifer family native to the high Andes of Peru around Lake Junin. You can get it from the pharmacy if I am not mistaken, in capsule form. Some consume in powdery form which they mix with some shakes.

Folic acid is sort of like the basic "must have" which cover at least the base for TTC couples.

Its common does not mean its good?

I never said it is good, it was merely a question.
That's why I was asking what are the most significant differences between two since Folic Acid is commonly seen in the market.

Since you said you do not believe in taking synthetics vitamins supplements, I thought you'd have some experiences or stories to share with us here so ladies who are going through this thread would gain more knowledge and understand more about the two. Nonetheless, thank you for your kind replies.

Agreed with what Cantaloupe said.
It doesn't seem to be (much) helpful by just telling people to choose one over another without further explaining.

There are certainly a lot of information on the Internet that allow us to find out more about the differences between two but by leaving such comment (as below), I think it is not being constructive, at all.

Its common does not mean its good?

Last edited:
Sorry if its misunderstood as being rude or unhelpful. But in one of the link above it says we can get it from a wide vareity of plant food. Point is to eat a whole variety of veges

Sorry if its misunderstood as being rude or unhelpful. But in one of the link above it says we can get it from a wide vareity of plant food. Point is to eat a whole variety of veges

We would not need any more supplements if people nowadays are able to get the nutrients by eating "a whole variety or foods".

You are right. Most people nowadays because of busy life style are unable to eat a whole variety but we can make effort to do so like drinking blended vege fruit daily. Or if really need to eat supplements look at labels. Avoid the synthetics one as much as possible. I have two tables on how to read the labels.

Ah sorry using app dunno how to load the table. Will do so tml when i have access to comp or if otherwise pm me and i will send to u the table

I was trying for few months. Nothing happen. I took Blackmores Conceive Well for 3 mths. I was pregnant, but unfortunately suffered an early miscarriage. So i'm back on Blackmores Conceive well again.

Besides that I do take Eu Yan Sang Bak Foong Pill after my period. twice a month.
I will boil Patchan to drink if i remember....i tend to forget.
Brands essence if i remember.....

and i've got a bottle of Dom sitting in my cupboard.....i take that when i feel under the weather.

I eat out almost everyday . I'm not proud of that. Probably need to change. I'm a lousy cook. lol....

vitamins.jpg labels.jpg

Hi.. I had problem conceiving... so lately I took 乌鸡白风丸 for 2 cycle and my man took 冬虫草.. tested +ive on 4th June.. hope this help :)

You are right. Most people nowadays because of busy life style are unable to eat a whole variety but we can make effort to do so like drinking blended vege fruit daily. Or if really need to eat supplements look at labels. Avoid the synthetics one as much as possible. I have two tables on how to read the labels.

yupz..i also agree... i do not like to take too much supplements as it is all synthetics...
currently only took prenatal vit approved by my gynae, which is cheap and good.. bought from iherb and definitely cheaper than CW...

Back