Wife Commit Adultery But Gets Child Custody ... Poor Dad!!!

wasabi126

Hi All,

This is a true incident which happened to my friend who lost his child custody in an unfair court ruling even though his wife committed adultery and got pregnant by another man. Please read his story here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-discrimination-against-Spore-fathers/447815301918220 and help share and support Singapore Fathers who have been discriminated unfairly. I am a mother of two and I also think that it is too unfair for good fathers to be excluded from their children growing up years.

hmm, i think we need to hear the wife's story before coming to a conclusion as to what is best for the child. right now, we only hear his side whereas the judge has probably heard both. also, although it is understandable that we naturally feel that the person who has committed adultery should not be given care and control of the kid, the family court would not take this factor into great consideration when deciding on the care and control of the child. the overriding concern is, and should be, the best interest of the child. if the party who had committed adultery still is the best person to care for the daily needs of the child, then the child should rightly still live with that particular parent.

just wanted to clarify - courts usually give custody to both parents but care and control only to one. perhaps he shoudl ask for more vistation rights in order to ensure he stays in touch with his daughter during her growing up yeras.

hi blueswimmercrab,

im a woman myself..but sometimes i dont think that by giving custody to the mother is of the best interest for the kid.
what if the mum just leave the kid under the care of grandparents and doesnt live with the kid? does that consider as best interest of the child whereby there is no communication??

i suppose the care & control was given to the mum because my friend is an air steward and fly long-haul frequently. But what disturbs me is that their daughter is autistic & when my friend asked his ex-wife to bring her for treatment, she replied saying that she will bring only if he pays for it. As a mum, I will still pay for my daughter if she needs it regardless of who's paying.

some more the ex-wife has a newborn with another man, I just can't figure out how this will be best living condition for their daughter

i think she demanded for for daughter's custody so that she can solicit for alimony & "wife support" from my friend to pay for her living expenses when she has to stay at home (with her new man!!!!) to care for her newborn. It's so unfair for my friend and he only gets to see her daughter once a week & for 2 hrs only!

This is totally ridiculous!! If you wanna live with your new man then you jolly well ask your new man to pay for everything!! Why ask your ex to pay for it?!! Then she can possibly bring the daughter along to stay witht he new man rite??!! one word to describe this woman - SHAMELESS!!!!!

this woman is downright shameless! absolutely no morals and values to speak of.. how can she be a role model to the gal??!!!

Yeah exactly, she must be one stupid woman too, allowing her new "love" to stay unmarried with her and their newborn and living off the ex-husband's alimony & "wife support". Please help to support my friend by sharing his story to as many friends as possible and hopefully it will end up with someone who can help turn his situation around. Thank you!

If she is not going to pay for the treatments for her daughter, then dont fight for her csutody! Never seen such an irresponsilble, shameful woman!! And also the new "love", stop being a useless and stupid man! wonder why he will be so stupid to stay unmarried!! all these are making me so sicked!!!

It is best to listen to both side of the story. A breakup can be due to many reasons, we need both hand to clap. I saw my FIL & MLK breakup, the one hurt most is the children. They may unintentionally hurt the defenseless kids. The most challenging part is 'who is speaking the truth', when both party trying to say they are the innocent party. Some dun even realize they themselves is the roots of all problems. Sometimes just have to look at the bright side. Some people can even marriage for the third times.

so does that mean that woman committed adultery is the man's fault? then she got pregnant before divorce process is completed is also the man's fault?
P.S. Vera, please read what had happen then maybe you can conculde whether the guy is speaking the truth anot...anyway, this is not something he can be proud of, so no point telling ppl his story just to show off.

Dun get me wrong. I nver side the girl. In moral, the girl is already at fault. A breakup is nver easy, specially there are children involved. I do understand there are father love their child dearly. It take time to settle down, then see what is the best solution. The judge will have a reason for now, that does not mean a life sentence for the father. We can say sorry to the unfair party but the judge is not going to look in tis way.

Here's my friend's story just in case anyone doesn't have access to Facebook:-

I'll be sharing a summary of my story today. Please help me share this page. Fellow suffering fathers please come to this page to share your experiences. We can all do our tiny bit to help change this flawed law system. Thanks!
- In Jan 2011, my wife requested for a divorce.
- From Feb to Apr 2011, my wife avoided me and I did not get to see or meet up with her during this period.
- In May 2011, I found out that my wife was actually 6 months pregnant with another man’s child.
- I decided to fight for custody of my daughter.
- My daughter was with me then and I allowed my wife to visit her whenever she wants and I’m in Singapore.
- In Jul 2011, on one such visit, I was ambushed and assaulted by my wife’s accomplices.
- My daughter was snatched away from me.
- I reported the incident to the police and the police dismissed it as a family dispute.
- The police told me that my injury is not fracture or more serious, it does not warrant an arrest and if I want to pursue the matter, I would have to go file a magistrate complaint myself.
- Heeding my lawyer’s advice, I filed a personal protection order for myself and daughter against my wife and family on the basis of their attack on me.
- My wife also filed a personal protection order for herself and daughter against me and my parents with accusations of child abuse.
- My request to see my daughter is flatly refused by my wife.
- I went to file a magistrate complaint and was told by magistrate to wait for divorce and custody to be finalized before he will look into the case.
- With the police and magistrate unwilling to act on this assault matter, I went to see my MP for solutions.
- My MP wrote letters to the police and MCYS to get them to look into the case.
- Police replied with a letter saying they will look into the case.
- I did not receive any news from the police after that.
- I have to call the police myself with reference to the MP’s letter, after which they got an officer to speak to me. He told me the same old thing that I’ve to get the magistrate to write to them before they will look into the case.
- I went down to MCYS with my mother. Spoke to one of the officers and he said he will look into my case and the well being of my daughter and he will update me on that.
- After 2 wks, I tried calling the officer for updates but he was either not at his desk or on leave.
- Finally, after another 2 weeks or so, I received a letter from MCYS telling me that my daughter is safe and fine with her mother. There was no call made to me whatsoever, only a cold piece of letter with no other information except that my daughter is fine.
- I manage to get my lawyer to apply to the court for access to my daughter. I was only given supervise access of 2 hrs a week with the venue being at one of the government agency.
- I got to pay $100 for a 2 hr access to my daughter.
- In Nov 2011, my wife was given the interim custody of my daughter
- I lost the custody case even though the divorce will be based on her adultery.
- My wife requested for $1000 for child maintenance from me.
- I tried to negotiate on the amount and was slapped by a request of $800 for child maintenance and $400 for wife’s maintenance by her.
- I find it ridicules to be paying her wife’s maintenance as she has already given birth to another man’s child and is currently living with her new man.
- We were unable to come to an agreement and the court fixed a mediation procedure for us.
- During mediation, she insisted on getting maintenance for herself and an agreement could not be reach as I’m adamant on not giving her maintenance.
- However, in Mar 2012, she decided to compromise when she learnt that I have already quit my job as a flight steward with SIA and is currently jobless.
- We have now agreed on a $500 for child maintenance and I’m responsible for my daughter’s occupational and speech therapy expenses as she got autism.
- My wife is not willing to contribute to my daughter’s therapy expenses and told me to pay for everything if I want to bring her to one. If I can’t do that, it’s just her luck to have me as a father.
That's the summary of my story and I'll be sharing my after thoughts of the whole saga at a later date.

Here's more posting from my friend:-

My After Thoughts..

I really question the integrity of the law system in Singapore. Are we a morally sound society? Morals and law… Can they co-exist? What happen to the marriage vow we made? A marriage vow that count for nothing and not to be taken seriously?

I understand that adultery is not a crime in Singapore. However, isn’t adultery a more serious and morally wrong offence compared to say, slandering? I remember that Dr Chee Soon Juan is still paying for his offence of slandering after so many years. Sometimes I wonder if I am not a Singaporean and this incident happen else where. Would I have won the custody? Would she be arrested for adultery?

I’ve spend so much money and effort fighting this custody yet I end up the biggest loser other than my daughter. I’m not the one who commits adultery. I’m not the one who decides to give up on my family. I love my daughter and am willing to pay for her occupational and speech therapies even if I know it will cost me over a thousand dollars every month. This is something her mother, the person who won the custody is not willing to do for her. Yet just because I’m a man, I lost the custody and much more. I lost the chance to pat my daughter to sleep at night as I was not even given overnight access!

If I’m a woman instead of a man, I would have won everything. Absolutely everything! If a man commits adultery, the wife will definitely win the custody of the children and getting maintenance for both the children and herself. As a man, not only did I lose the custody, I’m also obligated by law to pay the unfaithful wife her maintenance for as long as she does not get married again. Is this fair? I do not understand why we have 2 sets of law when it comes to dealing with the 2 different sexes. Is it because the Woman Charter is too strong?

I do agree that woman needs some form of protection especially woman of our parents’ era who are not highly educated and depends on their husbands for a living. Modern woman are a different species altogether. They are independent and they want to have equal rights as well as maintaining their privileges. They need to be protected too but not to the extent of protecting even if they are obviously in the wrong? Protecting is one thing, blindly protecting is another.

I was told by my lawyer that the law will normally award the custody for a young child to the mother unless the mother is going to jail or she is mentally unsound. I don’t understand why it has to be always this way. Isn’t a father’s love important to the child too? Can’t a father’s love be compared to a mother’s love? This is a modern society but we are still tied to old rules and law that stick to olden beliefs.

Losing my daughter even when I did no wrong is a bitter pill to swallow. What follows is even worse. I’m obligated to pay maintenance for an unfaithful wife until the day she remarries. This is the biggest joke I’ve heard in my entire life. If this is what our law system is about, I’ve totally lose faith in this big piece of a joking law system! Been betrayed by your wife, separated from the daughter you love and then paying for your unfaithful wife’s expenses until she can finally be married to the lover that she betrayed you for. It is totally unimaginable. However, this is the exact reality facing all married men who have unfaithful wives.

Anyway, thanks to our Singapore’s system, her love child with her lover is able to register his real father’s name under father’s information in his birth certificate. Though the law still recognize us as husband and wife (divorce not finalize yet even at point of writing), she can still put someone else’s name as the father in her child’s birth certificate. It seems everything in the system is protecting her and encouraging adulterous behavior.

I’ve too much negative things to say about the whole law system in Singapore. The magistrate, the police and the MCYS….. the least said about them, the better it is. Just one word… DISAPPOINTING!!!!

Last but not least, to my dear PM Lee… If you want to see an increase in birth rates, please look into the unfair state of your marital law system. If the law is to go blindly protecting woman, signing that piece of marriage certificate will only prove to be signing away a man’s life. Just like the way I had signed away mine….

hi, please calm down. you could be right that perhaps the child should be taken care of by the father in exceptional circumstances. however, i think we cannot deny that the child has a very close bond with the mother at a very young age. this is not about rules or tradition, but just a very natural instinct - look around at young kids, they cling onto their mothers, not their fathers. it is not that the court is blindly clinging onto to old traditions, in fact, there are medical and scientific proof of the mother-child bond! especially if the father is not going to be around most of the time (i.e flying around) then, it will make sense for the care and control to go to the mother.

i think it is not fair to say that the law is blindly protecting women. contrary, if the father committed adultery and the kids are actually old enough, and the court thinks it would be better for the kids' care and control to be with the father, then the court will award that. again, the court is not interested in finding out whose fault it is that that the marriage broke down, the interest of the child comes first. the fact that who commits adultery first is just irrelevant.

there is a section in the penal code that actually (not sure if it is still htere) that states that seducing another man's wife is a crime, but seriously, everyone here knows that matters of the heart is too hard to legislate. if you want the courts to step in when people have an affair, it would take years and no one can still say who is right or wrong - people have affair when they feel lonely, whose fault? let's not be a judge when it comes to these things. there are still countries that legislate this - think arabic countries.

sure, you are angry, but being illogical is not going to win you any points with the judge. presenting yourself as a logical, practical, forgiving person who is interested in giving the best for your child will. Trying to find fault and paint your ex-wife in such a negative light would not paint you as the best father.

i don't mean to be offensive, i just hope that you understand that the interest of the child comes first, and if you are really keen on having more time to spend with your kid, then you should show the world how good a father you are, and can be. and not how bad your wife is. that way, you have more chance of winning a law suit. instead, you should do more for your kid, and spend more time with your kid and be the best role model and father for your kid. in a few years time, if your ex wife remarries, you can probably go back to court, and show them proof that you are now really the best caregiver for your child. that, to me, is the best foot forward

I have the same situation as the guy, wife commits adultery, snatches my only child away. Wife gotten interim custody of child.

However, the main difference is this:
- my wife refuses to divorce (using this to get more wife maintenance and forces me to pay for all legal fees)
- my wife refuses to take care of the child
- child is overseas taken care by grandparents

Legally it would be kidnapping if I were to bring my own child back to my own country without her permission. I have no idea where is my child now, have been a year since I last saw him. I still need to my wife and child maintenance as access is a separate issue.

If the husband's side of the story is true, that's so sad. Wonder how the girl feels? 清官难判家务事, ain't it?

If every bit of the story of the guy is true, then it is devastating for him. It is sad that the system is that way. Sometimes also depends on the magistrate, it depends on whether the magistrate has compassion or just doing a job for the sake of doing without a heart. This world we live in is not a perfect world. Sad to hear.

I dun think is a lost to the guy. Carry on with his life. U still have a long way to go. Still young and can set up another family.

commits adultery not a crime in sg??

I didn't know adultery is not an offence. Why the women pregnant with another man baby want custody of her ex husband child?

Autistic child need more attention given the fact she also have another child then how she look after the one that need her

attention most?

If the mum wants the child because the mum really loves her, even though she had committed adultery, then it shouldn't be a big problem after all for the child. But if the mum wants the custody of the child just to spite the dad and refused to take good care of the child, I really pity the child.

Yeah, adultery n child custody is two separate thing.

Yes, I too was in exact same boat. At least for me, the judge dropped wife maintenance when her pregnancy was confirmed bcoz she said that guy gonna marry her when our divorce is thru. U dun have to pay wife maintenance once she remarried.

I too feel injustice that the court gave care n control to her simply bcoz I am alone n my child would end up as single family. I too wanted to start a movement to criticize woman chapter too. But wait, thinking back, I was only interested in winning n making her lose everything for committing adultery. I wasn't putting the interest of my child in first place at all.

Am I really able to concentrate working n caring for my child? Do I really know what to do if my child falls sick? Am I able to coach my child's homework? If I gonna hire a nanny then might as well continue let the mum take care of child.

Today my child grows up happy n healthy. My child has a healthy new family n a mum who loves him despite of her past sin. And I get the best time with my child every weekend n we are more like buddies more than father-son.

Would I have treasured my time with my child if I were given care n control previously? Maybe not, but nobody knows.

So I really agreed with Jenna Chong
happy.gif
Do u truly love your child n putting your child interest first? Commit adultery doesn't mean she can't be a good mother. And father who gets care n control doesn't necessary mean he will be good father.

Listen to the judge n family services counselor, they are more experience. If u truly loves your child, then dun fight anymore. Your child can feel the fight n hurt. No child wants to see their parent fight.

hi mr hopeless,

I'm totally agree with you..
my husband is hvg a affair with PRC.. i have been quarrelled and hurt myself for mths...& its doesn't end.

Till now i feel that why i nid to be a crazy woman doing all these to make my life upside down..He & her still continue..

i must stand up for my children.

新明日报 6 July 2013
new.gif

8579735.jpg

哎哟...这年头女人同样出轨。丈夫这下真的是“买一送一”了。

Last edited:
i think she demanded for for daughter's custody so that she can solicit for alimony & "wife support" from my friend to pay for her living expenses when she has to stay at home (with her new man!!!!) to care for her newborn. It's so unfair for my friend and he only gets to see her daughter once a week & for 2 hrs only!
if she have a new life, she wont get "wife support" anymore from her ex-husband. He only needs to pay for the kid custody.

Back