Which nationality helper should I get?

ky10

Hi, I need to hire a helper to help me take care of my twins next year, together with my in laws. My in laws will not be around all day.
Do advice which nationality is better and other factors that I should look out for.
Also, how many months prior to my delivery should I get in the helper to train her on household matters. Thanks!

Do take note that you probably will require 2 get a helper that has prior experience, both working in S'pore as well as taking care of infants.

U probably will need 2 prioritize wat is d main role of d helper, taking care of d twins or house work. Taking care of twins will probably take up most of her time.

We need 2 b realistic about things so dat we can manage our expectations of d helper. 4 me, d main role of my helper is household chores. My mom is d main caregiver of my gal. However, helper will play wif her if she has done most of her chores.

As mine was inexperienced (didnt need her 2 take care of my gal), I wanted d helper here 2 mths b4 I was due. 2 familiarize my place as well as 2 train her 2 use our induction cooker, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, etc.

@tiggerpooh Thanks for ur reply! Ya, I am still thinking how to work out.
Initial plan Helper main role is household, then assist my in laws. But as my MIL has part-time biz, she might not be ard for few hours on n off, and I'm not confident my FIL can take care. During this time, will need the helper to help him.

Have another qn. There are those who work in S'pore before but scare it's becos their previous employer rejected them but agent wont tell. You have any comments on this?

Not being racist or what. But among Indo, Filippinos and Myanmmar, which will you recommend?

For me, I employed a Myanmar helper and arranged for her arrival 3 months before delivery due date. This is so as to allow the new helper time to familiarise with the do's and dont's of the household and also time to train her up. Plus the additional timeline will allow me to change helper if the one employed is found to be unsuitable. For me, I will not hesitate to change helper if she is proven to be unsuitable. Afterall I intend to have her for at least 2 years or more if she proves to be a good help to the family.

I chose an ex-SG helper and so far so good. At first she said don't know how to cook, later I realise it meant she doesn't know how to cook to our taste. After a 1-2 weeks guiding her, she is now able to cook and has own initiative to do routine household chores.

I requested for a helper that has completed at least most part of her contract. I will not employ one that job hops every few months. This will gives you an indication of their seriousness. Also if your family is big, it will be good if you can employ a helper that has experience with similar background. Imagine them used to only a family of parents and a kid, they might be overwhelmed with the work of a large family. I make sure I was truthful when I was communicating my expectations and workload to the agency so they can let the helper knows what to expect, and if the helper is not comfortable she can reject the employer. I double confirm that these were communicated to the helper when I pick her up from the agency.

To get a happy helper, most important is to ensure that she has adequate rest and food.

I guess for those who have worked in Sing b4, wat u can do is ask if u can call d previous employer. There r those who have worked in Sing b4 but chose 2 go back n realised dat they needed more $ n hence r back here again.

4 me, I find dat nowadays, no matter if u choose Indo, Filipinos or Myanmar, it all boils down 2 attitude. N lots of luck. I went thru 2 bad ones b4 I got an okie one.

A fren of mine has tried all 3.... Her current one is from Myanmar. Her Indo was wif her 4 about 4 yrs, in d end, she sent her back cos she felt d helper was too "cosy" wif d family dat she sometimes will not do some chores even thu my fren asked her 2 do.

Base on your criteria, an experienced helper wld b able 2 do dat. Cos if your MIL is home, den your helper can do housework. N if your MIL has 2 go out 4 a few hrs, helper will take care under d supervision of your FIL.

Hi I just had a Myanmar maid . She is quite good but we were really too nice to her from the beginning until she is getting too cozy.
Please be very strict and clear about your expectations.
My maid also has this peculiar habit of not eating or eating very little. We were puzzled at first only to realize she likes to eat the oily salty food outside. She can't get used to our bland food.
If u need her to look after the babies, pls pls pls make very very clear that mobile phone should only be used after working hours or choose 1 that doesn't need a smart phone. Mine is a single and I have this strong feeling that her mind is forever with the phone, wanting to chat with her frens and find new bf. A CCTV or ip camera is absolutely necessary to monitor her with the babies.

Hi I just had a Myanmar maid . She is quite good but we were really too nice to her from the beginning until she is getting too cozy.
Please be very strict and clear about your expectations.
My maid also has this peculiar habit of not eating or eating very little. We were puzzled at first only to realize she likes to eat the oily salty food outside. She can't get used to our bland food.
If u need her to look after the babies, pls pls pls make very very clear that mobile phone should only be used after working hours or choose 1 that doesn't need a smart phone. Mine is a single and I have this strong feeling that her mind is forever with the phone, wanting to chat with her frens and find new bf. A CCTV or ip camera is absolutely necessary to monitor her with the babies.

Thanks for your input. I intend to look for a Myanmar one in March though I am due in June as they said need time to teach. But Im also worried tat since she comes before the babies are born, e few mths will be more free and she become too cosy. Do u suggest I plan a tight schedule for her from the very beginning and amend the tasks after the baby is born? Since she preferred oily salty food, will you be letting her cook subsequently besides looking after the kids?

Back