Sterilising question

eniamrehc

Hi mummies,

I've been sterilising my baby bottles and pumping parts since birth. However, she's now three months old and is licking everything and everyone, putting everything she can grab into into her mouth, and sucking her fingers and fists, and it really makes sterilising pointless. My question is, do you mummies even sterilise and when did you stop?

Hi mummies,

I've been sterilising my baby bottles and pumping parts since birth. However, she's now three months old and is licking everything and everyone, putting everything she can grab into into her mouth, and sucking her fingers and fists, and it really makes sterilising pointless. My question is, do you mummies even sterilise and when did you stop?
Hello,

We dilligently sterilise everything from bottles, to storage caps to pacifiers and my pump parts since the first day we are discharged from hospital. I think even though sterilising may be an imperfect way to ensure germs and bacteria are kept at bay, coupled with the fact like what u illustrated, baby has started to lick everything anywhere, doctors have advised that it is still a v good hygiene practice to provide added security to baby's well-being. My girl has Stomach flu at 4 weeks, and now we even sterilise our hands with medical grade steriliser before touching her. Simple steps like this go a long way in safeguarding baby's health i think. And i suppose we will never stop sterilising her stuff. The only thing i dont sterilise now are my boobs haha bt breastmilk itself is sterile and has antibacterial properties so i just dab around the nips before latching her. Jiayou!

Hello,

We dilligently sterilise everything from bottles, to storage caps to pacifiers and my pump parts since the first day we are discharged from hospital. I think even though sterilising may be an imperfect way to ensure germs and bacteria are kept at bay, coupled with the fact like what u illustrated, baby has started to lick everything anywhere, doctors have advised that it is still a v good hygiene practice to provide added security to baby's well-being. My girl has Stomach flu at 4 weeks, and now we even sterilise our hands with medical grade steriliser before touching her. Simple steps like this go a long way in safeguarding baby's health i think. And i suppose we will never stop sterilising her stuff. The only thing i dont sterilise now are my boobs haha bt breastmilk itself is sterile and has antibacterial properties so i just dab around the nips before latching her. Jiayou!

Hi!

That's the thing as well, I exclusively breastfeed and baby usually latches on, and when we're out, I'd nurse her freely, and even after a long day, I'd still nurse her as well. I don't think my boobs are that sterile after a long day (I don't think they're sterile in the first place!), and I don't dab breastmilk on my nipples first.

Plus, after sterilising, I leave the bottles and stuff out to dry and they're no longer sterile out of the steriliser. But if I don't remove them from the steriliser, they won't dry!

And you actually sterilise your hands before touching your baby?! How do you find the discipline to do that? I bought a bottle of steriliser before baby arrived, and after a couple of days of sterilising, my husband and I gave up!

On top of that, my baby licks my face, shoulders and arms when I carry her, and in fact, she leans towards whatever she sees and licks it. It's like her way of saying hi!

Come to think about it, it's really counterproductive for me to sterilise my stuff, because my baby is going all out to ingest all the different kinds of germs on different kinds of objects and people!

Haha, you sounded funny towards the end of ur post abt ur LO licking everyone and everything. But i read that this is actually baby's way of soothing themselves and finding self-comfort. Almost all babies do this.

Anyway, its only after her hospitalisation episode when we learned a painful lesson and thinking of tt, no matter how great a hassle it is, we will sterilise dilligently. Oh, we actually have another steriliser given by friend which we use exclusively to store sterilised bottles n pacifiers. We do not leave them exposed at any point of time. U can consider having a container to transfer the bottles over from steriliser. We also flick them as dry as possible before transferring to the other steriliser.

Well, u dont have to worry abt not sterilising ur nipples cos breasts have self cleaning mechanisms to ensure it is safe for baby to latch. U can research on this. I only dab breastmilk now n then if i wanna be extra kiasu. If not its fine to just latch.

Anyway it depends on ur comfort level, if u think its counter productive, then u can stop sterilising. But i guess as parents, we just wanna do what we can for them even if they r not foolproof and such. Its just sth we can do on our part. :)

@Twirlycandy

Hah! My little one is like a little iguana with her tongue sticking out perpetually!

And I guess I'd better be safe than sorry and continue sterilise her bottles till she's able to crawl and put more things in her mouth, and lick more people and items. It'll really be a waste of time and effort to sterilise then!

Back