St. James Church Kindergarten Parents' Club

Hi Slivery
I thought sales of uniform only starts on Monday? Anyway I rushed back after the talk as I was not feeling well. How many sets did u buy and how much does it cost in total?? Did they ask you to buy any books? One mother whose kid got into gracefield said the school gave her a list of books to purchase and they are quite ex!

Hi.. muffin

no leh, i got it straight after the orientation talk, as i am with DD so can measure for her size. haha.. think i am the only one getting it cos most parents want to bring their kids down for the fit. i am not sure how much each set cost, all i know i paid around $51 for 2 set of uniforms and 2 t-shirts. The hat is FREE (included in ur fees payment) as for the jacket, currently no stock, but u need to purchase one i guess. The fees included the materials, so no more extra $$.. but they do encouraged donations
happy.gif

hi slivery,
yar lor, they told us not to bring kids, so I didnt. Also my hb was overseas so I left my gal with my FIL and maid. Maybe I will drop by again this friday to buy uniforms.

Hi Muffin

so will u be accompany your DD for the first few days? Were u on wait-list too? SAHM? Me SAHM, no choice got 2 young kids thus decided to be full time.

Hi Silvery and Muffin

Great that this thread is revived again. Have not been catching up with all of you. They still have not called me whether it is confirmed for my DD 2009 PN. Guess maybe next month or Jan 2008.

DH and I like their PN T-Shirts. Do they come with shorts as well?

I am also SAHM during the day time and teach on weekends and some weekdays evening. Maybe we can form a gathering in Dec to meet up at SBG park and makan at their foodcourt. How about that?

Hi Joyce

No, it doesnt come with shorts. The short use, is the uniform short.. haha me kinda worried, cos DD is pretty small built even with size S (the smallest size), is still alittle lose...scared her short will fall off when she do physical activities
happy.gif

Hi Slivery

Yes, I will be accompaning my DD for the 1st few days. A little apprehensive if she can settle down after the 1st week as she has never left my side before. hahaha. I was on the waitlist for PN but I got a confirmed afternoon slot for N1 (2009), juz trying my luck with the PN and was surprised when I got it as the q numbers were already in the 30s.

I am SAHM, with one DD and another one on the way in June.
happy.gif
Are the shorts the elastic type? Maybe u can tighten the elastic. can I check if ur DD is toilet trained? Mine is only toilet trained at home, she wear diaper when we bring her out. Till now, she still has not been able to tell me when she wants to go when outside, or when she does tell its too late!! hiaz...

Hi Muffin

I want to accompany her for the initial few days, but am afraid i will be too emotional cos like u she has never left my side except once (when i was delivering my 2nd DD).. haha hope i can be the brave one. Congrats so are u having a boy or girl? Is challenging to have 2 but at the same time, u see the way they bond and love each other is very heartwarming too.
Ya the shorts are elastic type, ya will tighten it cos is a little loose on her. Haha, she not even toilet trained yet.. we just started around 3 weeks ago and it has been frustrating.. alot of accidents but no success yet. I guess partly is becos i need to care for the young one, for example when i bathe the younger DD or nurse DD, she will come and ask for potty but i am too occupied to remove her diapers and sit with her etc.. but i am praying that she will be trained before school starts.. My dd is born in Oct, urs?

Hi Slivery,

I just came back from st james. Got the uniform, t shirts, jackets and hat for her. The shorts juz nice for my gal, I almost got M cos I worry that she cant wear the shorts for long, she has a tummy. hahaha. I dun really like the jacket. The sleeves are removable and zippers are at the arm pit. I worry that she might get scratched by the zippers when she put on. But I was told that its compulsory to use their jacket when she is cold and no others. hiaz.

I am still in my 1st trimester, so I am still unable to determine the sex.
happy.gif
My gal is september baby, quite near to urs!
happy.gif

Ok thanks.. will drop by next week to get it.. Have u got a school bag for DD? I am still looking around for one that can put a set of clothes, jacket, diaper and water bottle in it..
mm.. i wonder will our gals be in the same class
happy.gif

Hi all

just want to check if there's anyone staying near redhill/ bkt merah area and child attending SJC this year pm session?

Thanks
Pris

Thanks Purin!
They are starting classes tomorrow!
Soo excited...

Actually i was asking as wanted to check if there's any carpool... do you know how your fren is sending her child to sjck?
Thanks

Hi mummies with kids in St James,

How has it been for your kids? My boy just started PNPG (AM session) this tuesday. He still needs me to be in the classroom. Aiyo, donno how he'll cope next week man..... stressed....

hello mummies

After hearing so much abt sjck, I considered very seriously in putting my child in the one in jkt. In short, the principal wasn't that friendly. The way she talked put people at a distance. She also didnt seem to take feedback very well.

Anyway, does anyone know what's special abt sjck's curriculum, other than the Christian's emphasis?

Hi Prisci,

I'm Purin's friend who staying at Tiong Bahru area and my boy is in PN PM session. Ur child too? Which class is he/she in? My boy in DD10. He's adjusting well according to his teachers. We peeked a few times and saw he enjoyed his classes.

Currently my boy takes school bus to school. Fees is $130 per month. Abt 1/2 hr journey to sch by bus. By car it's ard 15mins. Think bus detour to other places so longer time.

Hi all,

My eldest was in St James for four years, graduated last year and is now in P1. My second is in K2 also at St James. I enrolled my kids at St James mainly because it is a Christian school. But I like the school for other reasons - the staff are dedicated, the cost is reasonable, the new location is beautiful and the curriculum is balanced.

Hope this helps! :)

Pilgrim Mom
http://pilgrimparent.wordpress.com

Hi everyone,

My gal just started nursery in PM session. How's everyone so far?

Pilgrim Mom...I enjoy reading your blog, very inspiring esp with your DIY projects.
happy.gif

Handydog, thanks :)I hope your child is settling into nursery well. I volunteered for a few days a couple of weeks ago, to help settle in the nursery kids. Most were ok though there were a couple of teary children. It must be hard for them to transition from a home environment with familiar faces, to a school environment with so many new faces!

Pilgrim Mom
http://pilgrimparent.wordpress.com

Hi mummies,

I'm so glad that my boy has been so eager to go school (and even get on the school bus) after a few days of attending pre-Nursery on his own. He comes home a contented and chatty boy (though most of time i'm guessing what he's trying to tell me).

I told my hubby I'm still wondering wat the teachers do to the children to make them so happy!
happy.gif

Pilgrim Mom ... My gal is very happy to be in the new school. She's a sociable child so not a problem. However so far she has mild rash on her arms (due to change of environment as suggested by doc), got a bump on her head when a big boy accidently knocked her in class, a cheeky boy who likes to disturb her and fell down while holding hands with a boy who's jumping while queuing up for sch bus. Still she likes to go to school despite these incidents... making friends, doing the activities and dancing.

Actually I wasn't too impress with her teacher who is new in school, especially after the head accident. She's a bit lost during orientation and on the first day (couldn't organise the kids). When I saw my gal had a 10cent ball on the back of her head, I called her immediately and she didn't know what happen despite my gal cried loudly in class (she knew but didn't investigate). She said she would check it out the next day. I only found out from my gal in the night that it was an accident, which her teacher called me & told me the same thing next day. I wish she has taken initiative to call me instead of me finding out the bump myself. Well, I just pray & trust God's grace protection over my kid and hopefully her teacher improves over time. Other than this, I still like SJCK
happy.gif

Pinny...yap my gal enjoys going to school but most of time she couldn't tell me what the teacher taught her for the day.

i juz registered my DD for 2009 PN on the waitlist....any idea how chances are like? I didnt know gotta register so early....i asked if can put her on waitlist for 2010 nursery and the lady said they give priority to existing students in PN so just asked me to waitlist for PN. haiz...such a headache cos my girl is year end 2006 bb and i didnt know she will be in pre-nursery next yr cos i thot still go by months like childcare. gg to enrol her in childcare this june when she turns 18months and so fast next yr she gg to pre-nursery like too young. hahaha...dun even know if they accept since she prob isn't toilet trained yet.

Hi starmoon,

My boy is a dec 05 baby and is now currently in PN of st james. They do take in kids who're not toilet trained, cos my boy still not toilet trained yet, hee. Initially, i also thot my boy could be too young to attend PN, then my friend told me not to underestimate the readiness of a year-end baby. Thankfully, my boy only cried for 1 day in class. Just to encourage you that your gal could really be enjoying herself at PN!
happy.gif

hi mommies,

I am surprised at all the postings when I log in. Seems that this thread is well and alive.
happy.gif

My gal is in PN morning session DD5. Anyone same as mine?

Today I went early and saw my gal's class playing at the playground. It was so hot, I seriously hope that they will build a shelter like the one at the swimming pool. My gal was perspiring under her hat and I didnt see the teachers wiping down the kids before letting them into the airconditioned classroom. But I guess I cant be too fussy, with the teacher and student ratio. My MIL who accompanied me for the 1st time was complaining that how come they dont wipe the perspiration, how come so hot still let them to the playground. hiaz.

But overall, I must say that my gal enjoys going to school very much though she cant really answer me when I ask her what she did in school.

hi brownie
Sometime...when I asked her "what did your teacher teach today? or any reading or singing today?", she will say I don't know. Then later she will recall and tell me bits and pieces. How about your boy? How's he doing in class?

Today she came home with a book from sch and read to me...that's a progress. Her chinese not very good so I can't understand her, I wrote a note to Chinese teacher and asked her to write down the lyrics of the song they sing.

Muffin..it's true the teacher can't take care of everyone. Basically our kid has to learn to take care of themselves. My gal also comes home sweaty and tired.

Pinny...my gal din go to PN, went straight to nursery, there are more classes in nursery than PN. Just that if you want morning class, you may want to register soon.

Mommies...are you doing anything for the Family Day Carnival?

hi pinny
thanks for the encouragement. did u register your boy way in advance? i juz hope can get my girl into the PN next year...if not i will prob hafta think of other alternatives. haiz...

hi starmoon,
Are there still vacancies for Nursery in yr 2010? If so, you can register/confirm your ger's placement into nursery (yr 2010) and put her in waitlist for PN next yr. What is your q no for PN? morning or afternoon session? They are not opening up additional classes for PN next year so from what I understand from the staff, chances are quite slim for PN if your Q no is very big.

opps I meant this for u starmoon :p

my gal din go to PN, went straight to nursery, there are more classes in nursery than PN. Just that if you want morning class, you may want to register soon. I din want to put my gal so early in sch, instead we attended playgroup since 18mths till 3yo.

Hi handydog,
Does your child feels out of place entering SJCK at nursery level rather than at pre nursery level? How does your child adapt to switching schools from playgroup to st james after getting used to the friends and session at playgroup?

piyo...not really, she's at ease from the first day, most of her classmates are also new in SJCK...but then is my gal, she can go any place and be happy. I waited as I didn't want her to expose to sch so early, more chances of falling sick and I think 3yo to go daily sch is a bit too tiring. She attended playgp 3x week and has learned alot from there, so din want to stop. At least now she is toilet train, less nap required, speak clearly and more indepentant. That's how I feel.

To get her ready for the change, we just talked to her a few times, let her know about the new sch, make new friends and taking sch bus, which she is most excited about. We visited the school a few times last year and she's happy with it. Her pg friends mostly in Maria Stella, and one of them cried for a wk, but now ok after making new friends. Children can adapt, just need some time.

Hi handydog,

Is the book, "Look at me"? My son did tell me about that before he brought the book home.

I looked at the hand out that was given to them, many new words for them to learn. 2 weeks ago, he was given a list and yesterday he was given another list. Trying my best to teach him all the words.

My sister's ex-colleague daughter is in SS7. Heard that the parents in SS7 update each other via email.

piyo,
My son went straight to nursery too. He was attending pre-nursery class in another church.He settled down v well in SJCK. I think kid adapt v fast and easily.

Hi starmoon,

I register my boy last year end-March for PN. But i was on wait list till they announced that they're opening additional classes for PN this year, then my boy got a confirmed place. Like wat Piyo said, think the number of PN classes will stay the same for next year.

Muffin,
My boy's in DD1.
Ya, during the orientation talk, the principal said they're not a childcare centre, so the kids would be taught self-help rather than than the teachers helping them. Aiyo, my boy already caught a cold liao, donno why la. But all my friends with older kids tell me it's part and parcel of them growing up. Ha...

brownie...that's the book. But I didn't get any handout from her English Teacher, only from Chinese teacher. Do you mind email me (pm) the list of words to me? Hmm..think I will call her up. Does each teacher has their own set of teachings? I don't know the parents of her classmates, only met them once and they were bz with their kids. That's nice to have a network to update each other.

Hi handydog,

I will PM the words to you tomorrow cos I did not bring back the list it is at my mum's place. the list is in both english and chinese. They are learning different parts of the body.

Thanks Brownie ... only list I got was colourful world - about colours(in Chinese & English). Is this your first list?

Hi Handydog,

My first list is not about colors. My first list is about school and how your classmates go to school. The list includes words like: playground, music room, kitchen, teacher, bus, car, school bus, walk, good morning, good afternoon, good bye etc. (in Chinese and English)

I am suspecting that my son learned colors in school cos he keeps singing a song on colors at home (though I cannot really catch the lyrics).

I will pass you the list tonight.

Hi Starmoon,
I was in a similar situation as you. When I called up early last year, was told that the waiting list for PN is pretty long, but for Nursery, I'll be 4th in queue for AM. Thus, I put my name down for nursery. In the end, we got a confirmed place for Nursery for 2009 AM. I didn't put his name on waiting list for PN cos I wanted the morning session and chances are nil.

Right now, DS is in another school for pre-nursery. Frankly speaking, I'll be in a dilemma next year cos I'm quite happy with his current school.

hi purin
wow so good at least they placed u n the waiting list for nursery...the lady i spoke to when i asked if can put on waitlist for 2010 and she said it is oso full and priority will be given to PN students. She dun even let me on the waitlist so no choice i juz apply for waitlist for PN next yr lor. wad school is your DS attending now?

hi brownie...if you have not send me the list, I think no need. I just found the newsletter and saw the topic on body and school. I think the Chinese teacher will give to me later. She has not cover these yet. I spoke to the English teacher, she mentioned that she will give the workbook to the children after she finishes the letters in it. I pm u the lyrics for the colors in chinese if that's the one your boy is singing.

Hi handydog,

My son did not pass me the above.
You bring your gal to school daily?

My son takes school bus to school but last friday, I brought my son to school and manage to speak to his teacher. Maybe next week, I will bring him to school and chat with his teacher?

You are SAHM?

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif

scan0021.jpg (48.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>

hi brownie

I actually asked the teacher for the lyrics and then type it out. I called the teacher yesterday if she could provide like more regular update list of the lessons like the words they learn, but seems unlikely. I din realise some info of term1 lessons in the newsletter given at orientation. At least I have some guidelines to follow.

The head of nursery called me today and was talking about more info of the lessons. She said she will try to put more info in the newsletter esp for the Matal class. Now they have topic like me n my body...they discuss about parts of their body and have activities. Din know that.

Yes I'm a SAHM, with another 1yo gal. My gal also takes the school bus. Thanks for the list, I think the Chinese teacher starts on colors first, will get the others later.

Hi Handydog,

Talking about Matal class, I do not really know what was being discussed cos I could not get any information from my son.

Regarding colors: I think last week during art lesson, they paint rainbow.

Do you have the list of words on school and classmates? I can scan it tonight.

Back