St. James Church Kindergarten Parents' Club

Hi Starystarynite,

So far I din find any weakness. For PGPN, if you are talking about enrichment after sjck hrs, there isn't any for this year. Last year there is baby art from kinderart that runs at 2.45pm. Not for this year cuz of the poor response due to the high art fees from kinderart.

If after school hrs, it is the parents decision whether you want to send yr child. MY dd's classmates go for ballet, julia gabriel and berries on weekends lor while some parents preferred not.

The teachers will teach them the morally right values like sharing with toys..how to treat their classmates well lah...why cannot push or fight in class..that sort of stuff..as for cultures cuz this is a church kindy..the school does built in during chapel through songs..games during every friday chapel for half and hr. I have to say the teachers really have a way to handle the kids lor and that why my DD is very happy to go to sjck..everyday she tell me she wants to go school. Even june holiday, she asked me why no school lessons.

Well, CCC kids stay longer hrs inside their ctr...the teachers teach more educational stuff to the kids...compare to just 3 hrs in scjk..that why sjck brings in enrichment that runs from 1 hr or 1.5hr from nurseyr to ks level

SCJK started to teach basic sounds in PGPN..blending in K1.

For me, I teach my girl phonics ie basic sounds that is 2years old before she goes to school...and chinese words thru flash card ..she is pretty good in recongising words. she has the basic foundation...which why I want to teach her early before she enters in sjck cuz sjck is a very english environment. Learning majority comes from home not school..that is my honest opinion. I still send her to sjck cuz of the massive students envirnoment where she is going to go thru P1. She is better off in such environment vs CCC that is low ratio...

At the end, I am happy with her in sjck and stays till k2.

Have you reply to school to confirm. if not, why not just confirm 1st

berries and julia gabriel teaches what? any good chinese enrichment class? I also did flash card with my DS in chinese. but i think it is not sufficient. my flash card is of the ratio of 60% english, 25% chinese, 5% japanese and 10% maths

and his previous childcare, didn't focus so much on chinese. the chinese teachers sucks. So, i think will need chinese enrichment soon!

Confirming, means i have to pay the $530+ as registration and deposit. Registration fees is not refundable. So, got to think twice before i enrol him.

Joyce: Thanks for the detailed feedback - very interesting to hear your view point as a parent of a SJCK student. Pity about the weak Mandarin foundation - I will need to find alternative methods to help my kid with this. She is currently at JG. Might consider Berries when she is older.

What sort of phonics programme do you use to teach your daughter? Hope you can direct me to some good phonics resources/books. Would like to start but don't know how to!
happy.gif

Hi chomecc! I remember you!
happy.gif

starystarynite
i just checked with st james Mrs Henry the registrar & apparently session 3 is cheaper as price will not be increased but session 1 and 2 will be twigged upwards for 2010 onwards

however apparently session 3 students dont have enrichment classes at this stage bec 245-545 is timing of enrichment classes right now
sad.gif

hi parents

can i find out if anyone is on the wait list for session 3 and whether anyone has gotten any info about whether their child has gotten in?

im just wondering if the timing is good....any advices?

Hi Lanola,

I didn't know that session 3 is cheaper
happy.gif
anyway, i already signed up for this session. ya, one thing is no enrichment. expected. and even in 2011, also don't have. unless sat class, there is a demand for the enrichment.

But many parents that i talked with, say they prefer enrichment class outside. St jame's one quite expensive!

starystarynite

gd pt re: enrichment classes perhaps considering outside options
happy.gif
didnt really think bout it previously

fr wht i understand there is now even a waitlist for session 3 classes already, as we speak

Just to share.

The enrichment classes at St. James are actually still reasonable for most.

Below is what are currently offered for Nursery and the fees are for 8 lessons, from 2.45 - 4.00pm.
Art by Artpiration is $170.
Art by Kinderart is $250.
Chinese Speech & Drama is $170.
English Speech & Drame is $185.
Soccer is $130.
Chinese is $271.

hi all
my child is also enrolled for session 3 @ st james. but i hve a nagging worry abt whether 245-545pm is a condusive timing for school as it can be quite warm & uncomfortable. also bec DD wakes up at 9am, usually naptime is 3-5pm at tis moment. i still wonder if 245-545pm timing will be suitable
sad.gif
though we have oredi paid up deposit

any thoughts, anyone?

Hi Hael,
Your child will be in Pre-nursery or Nursery? Mine is in Nursery and he doesn't take naps for most days in a week, but will sleep early at night.

My suggestion is if you have the concern, you should withdraw from this timing and 1)see if there is any chance of changing to Session 1 or 2 or 2) put your child in another school.

Just wonder why parents want to put their kids in this session if they don't feel comfortable. IMPO, this session is kind of late for learning and you may be wasting $$ and time in the end since your child cannot absorb well. To me, the kids will be tired and sleepy if they do not get the chance to sleep before they go for the class @2.45pm. Even for us, we do feel sleepy at this timing.

imho,i think timing for session 3 may nt be the best,but still workable. the ideal timing is of course session 1.but some child has problem waking up so early in the morning.for my case, i justhave to adjust is nap time a bit. he now nap at ardour 1-3pm . with session 3 , he has to wake up at 8 perhaps, do some learning, 1 he of tv time,then after lunch,can ave early nap from 11-1pm. then et ready to go school. by the time e reaches home just nice. we also reach omensfrom work.

PomPom: I think you cannot make a sweeping statement about the suitability of the Session 3 timing for all kids. Some kids' routines will work well with the timing. My daughter's been attending afternoon classes (same timing) at Julia Gabriel for some time so the Session 3 timing will allow her to transition seamlessly to St James. I think as StaryNite has said, parents just need to plan in advance and shift their kiddos' nap routines a bit.

Lanola: Berries is a Mandarin enrichment programme, many branches all over Singapore.

Bbunny: I think they've made confirmed offers to people for Session 3 already. Best to check with them re your waitlist situation?

Hi Yolk Sac,
If you read my statements again, they are not referring to all kids. It's mainly for parents who are very concerned and I mentioned that "kids will be tired and sleepy if they do not get the chance to sleep before they go for the class @2.45pm."

For Hael, her kid's naptime is 3 - 5pm and wakes up 9am. If push naptime to 12 - 2pm latest, that means her kid will hve to wake up 6 - 7am.

Unsure if this will work for her.

Hi PomPom - I see. Sorry I didn't read that right. Your comment "this session is kind of late for learning" seemed a bit general to me. No matter. You make a good point about Hael's kid's naptime.

Hael - Might be worth shifting your daughter's routine a bit. Start the day at 7am, then she will nap earlier. You may have to cut short her nap a bit at first, but over time she will adapt to the new routine, I'm sure.

Hi bbunny,

I was email to St James (Ruth) yesterday to check the status for my dd WL and they have confirmed my dd's place with them (session 3). Maybe you could check with them for the status,might get a chance also..
happy.gif

Hi

Do anyone have any idea that after shifted to Leedon Road, does St James still have all these greenery environment with all the farms and nice swimming pool?tq

hi pearl,
bus fee shd be in the range of 130-140. i also stay in the same area
happy.gif

my boy (now in Nursery) has been taking sch bus since PNPG.

Hi pearl,

usually for PNPG & Nursery, 1st 2-3 days are orientation days for the child to be familiar with SJCK. There'll be no sch bus services for PNPG & Nursery, so do make necessary arrangement to have someone be with the child in sch during those days.

As for sch bus, here's what we did help our boy.
1) Opening letter box
go down to open your letter box during evening or afternoon time where you'll see kindergarten/pri sch children boarding/alight from sch bus. Bring along your gal and explain to her what those children are doing. (avoid sept/nov/dec sch hols)
2) Nov/Dec holidays
daddy took DS to take SBS bus/MRT quite often. Teach him how to enjoy the scenery through the glass window, ie spotting familiar landmarks, observe what ppl are doing, types of vehicles that passes by, etc. Get used to having strangers sitting next to him.
3) Prep talk
4) actual 1st day taking sch bus.
By then, my DS is quite ready to take sch bus by himself. In fact he was looking forward to it. But bus uncle did tell us that he sobbed a bit on the way home, cos he was the last few to be dropped off. The bus uncle and auntie encouraged him, saying that he is a good boy and uncle will be bringing him home soon.

My 2nd son starting with SJCK PNPG next yr. He's so used to seeing gor gor boarding/alighting sch bus that he actually wanted to follow along. So i'm quite sure my 2nd boy will be okay with taking bus (esp when he will have his gor gor with him as well)

Not sure if it will work with your gal. Cos it's normally easier to get boys interested in buses/cars etc. Give it a try and let us know how things goes.

Hi Eileen,

You may say so but only up to yr2014..coz yr2012 Leedon Road will open and the Harding Road will still remain up to yr2014 ..after yr2014, Harding Road one will closed and move back to Leedon road if not wrong..
happy.gif

hmm...till yr2016? never heard before ler..never mind..i'll be going to their orientation this coming Saturday will find out more then update u guys later part
happy.gif

Hi mummies..

May i check if my babies born 2009.. issit must q up n register already?

Any mummies babies also born 2009 enrolling into SJCK?

Hi ladies,

My dear son is on WL-40plus for PNPG for yr 2011. Anyone has this huge WL and managed to get a place. This is for session 3 at sj/

He is also on wait list for N2 in 2012. Anyone has any idea wl-30 still has chance?

Hi bonjovi (bonjovi) ,

wao so fast the session 3 already in WL-40 for PNPG yr2011? hmm..when i register my gal for PNPG yr2010 she was in WL-138 for session 1..tat time only have session 1 and 2 but subsequent they have opened session 3 and my gal got the place..currently there's only 5 classes will be opened for session 3 but if they open another few i think ur kid would be able to get the place..yr2012 will start to shift back to Leedon Road for those session 3 student and they still uncertain that will the Harding branch really stop at yr2014/2015 have to wait till yr2013 then can be sure..maybe they dont need to pass back the land to government then it has possibility to expand their session
happy.gif

hi pearl_tan
so at the orientation that's what they told you about the harding branch ? i prefer harding actually hahah. my girl will be going PNPG yr 2011. so hope she can complete it all there. haha

Hello Catherine,

I prefer Harding Road also..but no choice that's not under their control if the government really need to take back the land in yr2014/2015..over the orientation they din mention much regarding the Harding Road but i asked one of the teacher which i knew her from my dd's previous childcare
happy.gif
she also said no idea cant commit much lor

Thanks Pearl..

Even now pnpg for 2012 1st session full.. i have to enroll them for 2012 2nd session.

So sad... no discount for my triplets...hahahaha

Hi all,

My boy is currently on wl for pn2011 (session 2), anyone also on wl for this year who has already heard from sj? do you know when do they normally inform us? Cos if not going to be successful for sj, then i will need to target other kindy soon...2010 coming oredi -_-|

Sam,

Triplets???!! Wao...congrats!!then u can close your factory already
happy.gif
yr2012 session 2 also not bad..most important is they are able to get in to St. James
happy.gif

Hi want to check is there any mummies whose child is going to K2 next year and have K1 full set of books to pass down? Pls PM me, thank you in advance.

Hi mummies,

May I know Session 3 starts school at what time? My baby is Nov 09, and I am going to register SJCK Leedon on coming Monday since Harding is all full.

Is it possible that I book Leedon AM and then waitlist for Harding PM? Any advice?

Thks

Hi,

I am also looking for K1 full set of books for my daughter for next year.
Anyone who's selling, please PM me.

Hi

I am looking for the concert DVD for session 2 nursery that took place in October 2009.
Any parent who is selling, please PM me.

Thanks

Hi,

Anyone interested to do a car pool for Hillview area for children going to St James Church Kindy. My boy and gal are in a.m. (8.15-11.15am) session and am looking for alternative (apart from school bus) for the return trip (school to home). I don't mind to do the going trip and another parent can do the return trip or I pay for some fee to subsidized for your monthly petrol. Pls pm me if keen to explore this arrangement.

Heya,

just received the letter from SJCK and my ds is in dewdrops 13. Anyone in the same class??

Think I will have pre school anxity more than my ds.

Hi Pearl,

Think you should receive by these few days.

I only know there is this $240 for the kindermusik material fee (optional) to be paid by the 11th December 2009.

Hi chomecc,

Regarding this kindermusik,any idea when they conduct the lessons do they really get the chance to touch on the music instrument or only normal music lesson by singing? Thanks

Hi Pearl,

It will be conducted during their lesson time and will only be conducted if there is a 75% confirmed take up.

Back