Shichida Vs Glenn Doman

mrs_chong

Hi

My son is currently 16 months old and is in Shichida since he is 9 months old.So far he enjoyed himself in class and i do follow Shichida methods and flash to him 5 times a week.I am always very curious about Glenn doman method and im thinking to try their method.I will have to purchase a new sets from them which include a english,chinese and maths sets from them before they will conduct a lesson to teach me how to follow the timetable to teach my child.Glenn doman seems to focus more on words cards whereas Shichida more on picture cards.Can mummies advise me GD methods requires flashing the word cards in high speed as well? If i will to follow GD method,i will have to drop out Shichida method? I am really confused.I hope mummies can advise me the difference.

HI
My son is attending Gymnademic at Safra toa payoh.. they r using Glenn Doman method.. one thing i like abt this centre is they provide both physical activties & glenn doman method flashcard, and they'll email to you all the words they learnt, so parents can show them to their kids at home (using ipad or print out).. however, what i dun like is they dun use the actual set of Glenn Doman Kits, they use his font, colour but they print out themselves.. so the quality is not there.. funny right...

At first, I thot of sending my son to Shichida, but heard that the programme quite stressful.. & no physical avtivties, correct me if I'm wrong.. is it true?

How much is the Shichida programme? Mine is $718 (incl GST) for 11 session because of Safra member..

So after these 11 sessions, I may change, but still not sure which one to go...

Before we started Shichida classes in Apr 2010, I also compared between the 2 methods. This has been addressed in my Review & FAQ post at www.mummyshomeschool.com/shichida-method-review-faq/

I chose Shichida Method because it's very well-rounded. Once you understand the philosophy well, you can apply the method to strengthen parent-child bonding, and improve various forms of learning. It works for both children and adults.

The focus on images in the early years work very well for my DS1 (now 4.5 years old). I only taught him reading and phonics when he showed interest in reading words at about 3.5-4 years old. Before that, I read and speed-read to him but didn't focus on individual words, nor flashed English word cards to him. Occasionally, I flashed some Chinese word cards to him, but not consistently.

From the lots of Shichida-style image flashcards and memory games (both bought and homemade), he developed an excellent memory. This helps him tremendously in his current passion in music. He can play many songs by ear (pitching ability) and by memory, while still learning to read notes. Hubby and I don't know music, so we're quite amazed how he does this easily.

When I started to teach him to read at 3.5-4 years old (based on his interest), he picked it up rather easily. Now he's reading simple books in English, Chinese and some Bahasa (since we're in Malaysia).

Besides flashcards, senses and memory games, Shichida Method also emphasises on high-speed audio learning, which is highly effective. A strong audio memory can allow the child to recall a lot more things compared to visual memory.

I love how the method teaches me to focus on parent-child bonding as the foundation every day.

Through the relaxation, breathing exercises and imaging, he also has the ability to overcome any learning obstacles. For instance, learning to cycle on 2-wheel bike using relaxation, breathing and imaging.

During Shichida class, most activities are done on the desk. For a super-active child like my #2 (started at 8 months to 20 months), I often bring him to do the activities on the floor at the back of the classroom. If he isn't interested in doing the activity, I simply demonstrate it for him and let him be. At this age, input is much more important than output. During home practice, we do more of the activities that he likes at that stage.Sometimes, there's one simple gross motor activity (e.g. playing toy badminton) but not during every session.The Shichida Method focuses on stress-free learning, that's when the right brain learns most effectively. If the parent is relaxed, so will the child. If the parent is stressed up and competitive, this will transfer to the child too. That's why the parent must first understand the method well, and practise the relaxation / breathing techniques in order to guide the child.

Hope this helps and all the best! :)

Hello mommies who are with Shichida and keen in getting the home practice set. I have the dots cards-Random, Variety and Organised (brand new!) as well as the Tensai falshcard and Genius flashcards to sell! All are very new. My girl was with Shichida for 2 years and i feel it benefit her a lot. But i was pregnant with my no 2 so got no time to do home practice..
Please pm me if keen. Not out here to earn $ but just get a little back. :)

Shichida games can be tailored to match various learning styles. My #1 is highly auditory, so audio songs, speed listening and recitations appeal to him. He likes flashcards too since I vary my tone a lot to make it interesting when flashing cards.

My #2 is highly kinesthetic, moves about a lot and loves to hold things. Small cards and objects for Shichida senses and memory games appeal to him. He loves flashcards and speed reading sessions too. These are done quickly so he can move about once we're done.

I can resonate with your struggle to practice flashcards with the young. Time and energy are much needed.
I'm currently on a small project to ease the effort for home practice. Hope you will find it useful.

Hello mummies! Maybe can try out The Umonics Method too. I have enrolled my son for their online classes, so far so good. I can see my child can recall a few names from the lesson and it's so much fun to see he's enjoying it, You can search them through Facebook and Instagram. They're affordable as well!

Back