September 2016 Mummies!

Hello! My first post here. Haha. Just tested positive not long ago. The clear blue pregnancy test stated 2-3 weeks pregnant. Hasn't told my hubby yet, he is still asleep. Hehehe. What should be the next step? Confirm with a blood test?
hello everyone! my first post here too..
just tested positive with watsons kit and clearblue a few days ago..
i don't have much symptoms except the past one week i was having very bad cramps..

i have made appt with my gynae but he is only available in the 3rd week of Jan..
for the time being, should i go get a blood test to confirm pregnancy?

Actually bHCG blood test is not necessary if you don't display symptoms like bleeding with abdominal pain, etc. Best to confirm pregnancy is ard 6-7 weeks with ultrasound scan to detect fetal heartbeat. Clinics might not order blood test when there is no pain & bleeding - that's what happened for my #1. KKH ordered blood test for my #2 as I experienced pain & lots of brown discharge with occasional pinkish discharge.
The first thing to do now is to pop folic acid, monitor the symptoms (if bleeding, see doctor immediately), eat healthily (avoid raw food, coffee, etc) and rest more.

Actually bHCG blood test is not necessary if you don't display symptoms like bleeding with abdominal pain, etc. Best to confirm pregnancy is ard 6-7 weeks with ultrasound scan to detect fetal heartbeat. Clinics might not order blood test when there is no pain & bleeding - that's what happened for my #1. KKH ordered blood test for my #2 as I experienced pain & lots of brown discharge with occasional pinkish discharge.
The first thing to do now is to pop folic acid, monitor the symptoms (if bleeding, see doctor immediately), eat healthily (avoid raw food, coffee, etc) and rest more.

Totally agree!

I see, thanks alot for your sharing, cuz I thought our Urine HPT kit is not 100% foolproof to show u are pregnant, thought only a blood test will kind of "confirm". But of cuz the hCG level will change every other day, so doing the bt then is just to see your level....
The scans at the gynae will be the most accurate!

Is the scan for bb's hb via vaginal or just on the tummy?

Last edited:
I see, thanks alot for your sharing, cuz I thought our Urine HPT kit is not 100% foolproof to show u are pregnant, thought only a blood test will kind of "confirm". But of cuz the hCG level will change every other day, so doing the bt then is just to see your level....
The scans at the gynae will be the most accurate!

Is the scan for bb's hb via vaginal or just on the tummy?

Usually if home pregnancy kit shows positive, it would suffice. False negative is common but false positive is not. bHCG is done when home pregnancy kit fails to detect positive result when you missed ur menses & symptoms r pointing towards pregnancy. Reading of between 5 to 25 for bHCG blood test indicate very early stage of pregnancy. The home pregnancy kit picks up positive result only if HCG exceed 25 (their minimum sensitivity level). But I prefer Clearblue digital. Although it's the most expensive, it clearly indicate "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant" reading instead of lines (very very faint lines makes one puzzled if it really is a positive result and end up buying one more kit to kill your curiosity).
Another reason y bHCG blood test is ordered by Doctor is when there's bleeding & pain during early pregnancy stage. The doctor will order another bHCG after 48 hours to check if the hcg level double. By right it should double between 27 to 54hrs depending on individual. But the usual range they test is 48hrs.
The ultrasound scan will "confirm" the pregnancy usually - with the sac, "yolk", followed by fetal heart beat. By that stage (checking of heart beat), abdominal ultrasound should be able to detect it. Vaginal ultrasound is used (b4 fetal heart beat) to find the sac & check for lining.

a silly qn. are we okay to use caffeine induced products like shampoo? or is it better to avoid it? heh.

I'll avoid it. For my #1, my hair loss is horribly massive during last trimester & after labour.
Remember not to use acne products & some skincare (i.e. Anti-aging) that contains retinoid, salicylic acid. It's a strict nono to use them, will cause birth defect.

I'll avoid it. For my #1, my hair loss is horribly massive during last trimester & after labour.
Remember not to use acne products & some skincare (i.e. Anti-aging) that contains retinoid, salicylic acid. It's a strict nono to use them, will cause birth defect.
oh no. i didn't know about this! will check through my skincare pdts. thanks for the info! i am also told to avoid the shampoo...

oh no. i didn't know about this! will check through my skincare pdts. thanks for the info! i am also told to avoid the shampoo...

I remember bringing my whole slash of skin products & creams (I have eczema) to my gynae during my first pregnancy. She picks out all those that I should avoid during pregnancy. I brought along just so she could refer to the ingredients used for the product. Sadly I can't use my steroid cream, my skin is so terrible & itchy Coz of eczema. Stained my bedsheets with blood coz of scratching my skin. Bo bian got to control for the bb's sake.

I remember bringing my whole slash of skin products & creams (I have eczema) to my gynae during my first pregnancy. She picks out all those that I should avoid during pregnancy. I brought along just so she could refer to the ingredients used for the product. Sadly I can't use my steroid cream, my skin is so terrible & itchy Coz of eczema. Stained my bedsheets with blood coz of scratching my skin. Bo bian got to control for the bb's sake.
i am also having bad itching! but mine was way before the preg. i don't dare to use my steroid cream now too and bearing with it till i see the gynae tomorrow to ask for any other safe relief creams. good idea. i shall bring mine along tomorrow to ask the gynae also and asknif there is any i should avoid..

Thanks for the replies! This is my first and quite unexpected in a way because of work. Haha. Anyway, seems like i will just pop some folic acid pills and wait a few more weeks for a gynae visit.

Thanks for the replies! This is my first and quite unexpected in a way because of work. Haha. Anyway, seems like i will just pop some folic acid pills and wait a few more weeks for a gynae visit.

U already have a gynae in mind? If yes, u could call and inform the receptionist that you wish to book an appointment, give your LMP (first day of last menstrual period period) & ask when is the earliest you could see the gynae.

U already have a gynae in mind? If yes, u could call and inform the receptionist that you wish to book an appointment, give your LMP (first day of last menstrual period period) & ask when is the earliest you could see the gynae.

Actually sort of. But probably try out for the first visit and see how it is. Btw, i have cramps on and off. Not very severe kind. Is that normal?

hi, which gynae u planning to see?
I'll be at KKH 24hrs clinic, after this I'm going back to my own gynae. I prefer delivering at private hospital & choose my own gynae. I have more subsidies if I choose KKH/NUH (non Private Suite) coz civil servant. But I still prefer the preferential treatment at private hospital.
hi @metamorphosis8184 , which gynae will u be seeing after your KKH visit?
The KKH visit is to do a basic scan?
Sorry for the questions because I have no experience in all these. Like what u need to do now, then next etc.

Actually sort of. But probably try out for the first visit and see how it is. Btw, i have cramps on and off. Not very severe kind. Is that normal?
You have any spotting? Play safe, u might want to include this info when u call up the gynae's clinic. See if there's a need to see gynae earlier. Usually if there's no bleeding, fever, back pain accompanied with the cramp, it should be okay.

hi, which gynae u planning to see?

hi @metamorphosis8184 , which gynae will u be seeing after your KKH visit?
The KKH visit is to do a basic scan?
Sorry for the questions because I have no experience in all these. Like what u need to do now, then next etc.

Hi, my next appt at KKH tml is just to follow up on last Sat's appt. To do another bHCG blood test - see if the level double up compared to last Sat's reading. Not sure if they'll do another scan.
Likely I'll choose Dr Loh SF (he's currently the Medical Director for Thomson Fertility Centre, few years back he's with KKH as Head of KKIVF). We are thinking either him or Dr Choo WL. My sister called her ex-colleagues & told me to go for Dr Loh - since this pregnancy I have a lot of spotting for many days (not a good sign). He handles complicated pregnancy (since his forte is IVF) more than Dr Choo. So we decided to just stick with him (we seen him for infertility checks last month - who knows the next month I preg le). I pray that this pregnancy is okay, I been losing sleep the past few days coz worried due to heavy spotting. My #1 pregnancy zero spotting, zero pain, no morning sickness & I had easy delivery. This round like started on wrong note with the spotting & cramping. Very worried. My sister anxious also. Already planned which PD the baby should see. It helps that she used to work in TMC for more than 8yrs, so she's doing all the liaising for me.

Hi, my next appt at KKH tml is just to follow up on last Sat's appt. To do another bHCG blood test - see if the level double up compared to last Sat's reading. Not sure if they'll do another scan.
Likely I'll choose Dr Loh SF (he's currently the Medical Director for Thomson Fertility Centre, few years back he's with KKH as Head of KKIVF). We are thinking either him or Dr Choo WL. My sister called her ex-colleagues & told me to go for Dr Loh - since this pregnancy I have a lot of spotting for many days (not a good sign). He handles complicated pregnancy (since his forte is IVF) more than Dr Choo. So we decided to just stick with him (we seen him for infertility checks last month - who knows the next month I preg le). I pray that this pregnancy is okay, I been losing sleep the past few days coz worried due to heavy spotting. My #1 pregnancy zero spotting, zero pain, no morning sickness & I had easy delivery. This round like started on wrong note with the spotting & cramping. Very worried. My sister anxious also. Already planned which PD the baby should see. It helps that she used to work in TMC for more than 8yrs, so she's doing all the liaising for me.

Don't worry and think too much. Have lots of rest. We will all have healthy and smooth pregnancy. Big Hugs!

You have any spotting? Play safe, u might want to include this info when u call up the gynae's clinic. See if there's a need to see gynae earlier. Usually if there's no bleeding, fever, back pain accompanied with the cramp, it should be okay.

No spotting or fever. Caught a flu bug days back. Now just occassional cramps. Not painful as I can have very painful AF pain.

Hugs @metamorphosis8184 , I am sure your lil beanie will be sticky and hope everything's smooth for u.
So u ardy booked Dr Loh for your 1st appt with him? Since u have spotting for many days.
Is it better to see him ASAP?

Hugs @metamorphosis8184 , I am sure your lil beanie will be sticky and hope everything's smooth for u.
So u ardy booked Dr Loh for your 1st appt with him? Since u have spotting for many days.
Is it better to see him ASAP?

I intend to see him next week. Will be considered subsequent visit coz I seen him last month & he referred me to do HSG, etc. Those test result still at his clinic. I'm on my way to KKH again. The spotting getting heavier day by day, with brown clots. I'm not too optimistic, but hubby thinks I'm too stressed over it. So off we go to KKH again.

I intend to see him next week. Will be considered subsequent visit coz I seen him last month & he referred me to do HSG, etc. Those test result still at his clinic. I'm on my way to KKH again. The spotting getting heavier day by day, with brown clots. I'm not too optimistic, but hubby thinks I'm too stressed over it. So off we go to KKH again.
take care! ya. don be too stressed over it. most imptly, keep a positive mindset... hopefully all is well!

I can feel your anxiousness.
I also cannot wait to see the doctor tomorrow for medication and injection so that I will stop spotting.

It's really annoying to see that irritating brown spot on the panty liner even if it's just abit.

I was okay last two day. Today come back to work, start to spot again. I just want to go home and lie down.. Sob sob sob

Hello! I tested positive as well on Xmas! Hope all of us have a smooth pregnancy!

I have a silly ques: do we count our edd from the first day of our menses as in the one that came or the 1 that we missed?

Hello! I tested positive as well on Xmas! Hope all of us have a smooth pregnancy!

I have a silly ques: do we count our edd from the first day of our menses as in the one that came or the 1 that we missed?
congrats!!

from the first day of last menses... at least is what those online calculators are asking for.. haha.. best to get the edd from gynae i suppose.. but no matter what, they are jus estimated dates..

i am only having hunger pangs.. haha.. but i don't think i am 5 weeks yet.. maybe 4weeks plus to 5.

Ya the feeling of the constant hunger... I dun think I have eaten so much in my life. Hahaha. I'm glad the nutrients are well absorbed...

Ya the feeling of the constant hunger... I dun think I have eaten so much in my life. Hahaha. I'm glad the nutrients are well absorbed...
i think mine's all in my mind. lol.. i haven't really been eating really healthy though.. should start being conscious of it..

are you girls taking any vits pill or prenatal besides folic acid?

i only have folic acid which i got from the doc few months ago when i said i wana try for 1.. haha.. relying on that for now till the appt tml...

i think mine's all in my mind. lol.. i haven't really been eating really healthy though.. should start being conscious of it..

are you girls taking any vits pill or prenatal besides folic acid?

i only have folic acid which i got from the doc few months ago when i said i wana try for 1.. haha.. relying on that for now till the appt tml...

I'm taking vit B complex and folic acid. I have been taking since I started trying two years ago.

Folic is very important. Please ensure you get more from doctor tomorrow.

Now that I am pregnant, husband start feeding me with more food. He is constantly asking me to snack. Zzz

I'm taking vit B complex and folic acid. I have been taking since I started trying two years ago.

Now that I am pregnant, husband start feeding me with more food. He is constantly asking me to snack. Zzz

Is it your first?

yah. think mine iscurrently not enough too. it's only 5mgwhereas i read that we need few hundreds mg? not sure. will ask gynae tml about it..

Any ladies here have bloatness?
I cant eat alot per meal but after few hrs I get hungry....but each meal can only consume a lil bir of food.
After that super bloat.
I didnt throw up just feel very acidic in the tummy....

Start counting from the first day of your last menses. The one that came.
congrats!!
from the first day of last menses... at least is what those online calculators are asking for.. haha.. best to get the edd from gynae i suppose.. but no matter what, they are jus estimated dates..

Thanks! Congrats too!
Huh means now like 8 weeks meh? Lol nvm next week go gynae then will know liao..

I dun have morning sickness so far too.. hungry also no leh.. bloated abit. But I feel quite breathless sometimes haha..

Wasn't destined to be in Sep 2016 grp. Just seen Doctor. My gut feel is right, this pregnancy didn't make it. I miscarriage. Was given antibiotics to pop at home to prevent infection. Never experienced MS b4, now I know how painful it is - heart break.

Wasn't destined to be in Sep 2016 grp. Just seen Doctor. My gut feel is right, this pregnancy didn't make it. I miscarriage. Was given antibiotics to pop at home to prevent infection. Never experienced MS b4, now I know how painful it is - heart break.

Hi metamorphosis8184,

Sorry to know that you lose the pregnancy. Slowly tiao your body back to good health again before trying again. You should do a mini-confinement, and drink red dates longan tea for 2 to 3 weeks, take the tea just as you would with plain fluid intake. During my miscarriage in mid-June last year, I took it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Back