Need advise from parent that send their child to student care without anyone help

samanthab

Hi All,
Like to hear from parents how do you do it? I’m so depressed... all my surrounding friends have really good in law or parents to look after their child.

My son is 7 years old this year. Baby time he was taken after by my mother in law (MIL). Until he was 3 yrs old, my MIL suddenly need to help my bro in law in his business, thus I have to employ a maid. But maid was a nightmare to me, she created so many problems then i decided to look for a nanny and got a good one. Then a years later, my bro in law business getting better, so my MIL do not need to help anymore and she is free to look after again. Thus, i let her look after my son again.

But my MIL loves to go holidays and she always likes long holidays. This year she is going for 2 long holidays and i have to take leave to look after my son. Is not that she can’t go holidays, is she always didn’t plan together with me as I do not have so many leaves. Not only about leaves, she always complained that we do not give her enough money. We gave her $400 and my son goes to school by 11am till 7 plus and back for dinner. Both my husband and I have dinner outside as she said the money is not enough for our dinner. Now i considering about student care, but my husband have many worries. Especially, if my son sick...etc.

My MIL is those parents that are very inflexible. Once i put my child to student care, she will tell me, should anything happen, don’t ask her for help. She will also tell the whole block of neighbors that we are bad and don’t let her look after our child. I’m learning to be independent, i don’t want this to be a threat to me anymore....

Can parents share with me... is it tough? What kind of problem I will face? Any emotional affected? When your child is sick, maybe like flu, do the student care immediately ask you to bring your child home?

Sorry for my long story… i hope someone can understand my situation and advice me..
Thank you very very much!!

Last edited:

Hi,

I have 3 boys at 11y/o (P5), 9y/o (P3) and 2.5y/o (N1).
1st & 2nd boys after school go to student care.
3rd boy go to full day childcare.
I hv a helper alone at home.

My 1st & 2nd boys go to full day childcare since they are abt 20 mths old.
Even now we have a helper at home, I also send them to student care because at student care, the teacher there will let them finishing their school homework & learning the spelling (if hv time).
But if the my child at home, I don't think their can do their homework & only can watching the TV or playing ipad & phone for the whole afternoon.

Only the child with fever are not allow go to school. If only flu or cough is all right for them go to student care.
Hope the above help for you. Take care.

Hi Angela76, u left maid alone at hme? Not risky?
I have 3 kids too n now i dont knw wether to send 3 of them to student n child care or get a helper.
CoZ i see alot of reports abt not very nice maid.

Hi Sherrylim,

Yes, my maid alone at home.
She from Philippine. Just renew her WP last month.
My 3rd son take care by her since 3mth old. I'm a full time working mother.
I feel like she not bad, honestly & she can cook.
Now 3 kids whole day at school, I also employed her because I need someone do the house keeping.
3 kids are very busy, some more 2 kids at Primary school need guide their school work. And no time to do the house work.
Lucky my maid are not bad :)

angela76
lucky for you.to have someone to stay at home to look after the kids is good.especially we are full time working mother
there will be someone to cook and do household for you.you do not have to rush to fetch the kids back after work,
I am a full time working mother.I do not have a maid.My hubby does not like to have a stranger at home.
therefore everyday I am rushing like mad and also very tired.morning must send my kid to mil place,after work must ferry back.
reach home must do simple household somemore,by the time I have finished,it is already almost 9pm and my kid is already sleeping mode.:(

Hi angela76, u. R very lucky to have a gd n trustworthy maid. I see alot of bad comments abt various type of maid until now i dont. Dare to employ on to look after my kids.

Can u advixe me how u do it? Alot ppl told me dont set so high standard for yr maid, is it true? Did U set schedule for yr maid?

Actually I never set any schedule for her.
She off every Sunday but if we need her on Sunday, she is ok not going out. Of course we need pay her the extra if she on off the week.
Last time I will bring her along to market, but now I give her $100 - $120 every week go market on her own.
What she like to cook then she just buy. We never ask her what to cook for everyday.
She will mop the floor & wash toilet everyday. Change mattress cover every two week. Wash the car twice a week. Cook dinner every weekday & lunch on Sat.
Other house keeping she just arrange by her.
I also give her $5 every time (maybe 2 - 3 time per week) ask her buy her own breakfast or lunch.
Actually I feel if we treat them good, they will appreciate.

Hi angela,

I do feel that you treated your maid very well, which is good! May I know which agency did you employ her from, mind sharing?
I am also considering to get a maid to look after my daughter (18mth). I was quite worried as well since nobody is at home, like samantha had bad experience with her maid :(
but I also don't like to send my daughter to childcare.

Hi All...

I think having good maid is really really lucky. I would be grateful if parent could share with me how do you cope with your daily fetching of children up and down. Especially parents have to rush to work and still have to send the children to the student care... ETC. Will parent quarrel when things don't go smoothly... anything to take note?

As for children... will there be a changes in behavior? will their academic affected as they have to go student care very early esp those in the afternoon session. My son is in the afternoon session. Im worry that he do not have enough sleep as the bus will come and fetch him at 620am and he reached home is already 730pm. This is the first time he is in school for such a long hours. Really appreciate if parent could share with me how to cope and what to take note.

Thank you in advance!!! :)

Hi mummycal,

Sorry for late reply.
My maid agency details as below:-

Gladden Employment Agency
You can call Mr Norman (Hp: 9270 3578)

My maid actually is a transfer maid.
Came to Singapore works about 1 year before me.

Back