Need Advice on maid

hy80

I am in a dilemma and really appreciate some advice.

I have an Indonesian maid whom has been with me for about 1.5 months and I have no complaint about her work & attitude. But, I don't have much for her to do (even with 3 young children) & I still cannot get used to having another person staying with me for extended period.

Of course she is not perfect, but she is willing to listen to feedback & strive to improve herself. Always ask for permission before doing anything. Pleasant girl & my children love her.

At times, she is so bored with her hp she keeps checking on me or my children to see whether there is anything to do, especially on weekends as I don't need her to do cleaning.

It's also very hard for me if I want to start training my children to be independent & start helping out or pick up their mess, she will always be more than happy to help them out, even if I repeatedly told her to let them do it. My youngest refuse to let her feed or bathe him, so it will still be me attending to him. 2 older kids are big enough to feed & shower themselves.

Is it possible to send her back to the agent based on this reason? I feel really bad as she has done no wrong so far.

Reason for employing her at the first place is due to my hubby being assigned overseas & he was worried that I am not able to cope. My children are very independent, their meals are pretty easy to prepare & my HDB flat is not very big. I have been getting a part time cleaner to help with the chores & that is good enough. I tried convincing him many time prior to that, but he can't see the point that it is really not necessary to get a helper.

Well, I guess if I'm your husband, I will also insist for a helper to be around at home as you have 3 young children at home. It is not all about whether you can cope at home, but rather another reason is to have another adult at home. 3 young kids is really not easy. what if you need to cook for them, bathe, or if you fall sick, at least there is still another person to help you take care of them.
Maybe you try not to get the part-time cleaner? and instead, let your helper do the chores? Perhaps it will be easier. I guess your maid also feels insecure that she has nothing to do, thus, she will keep asking you what else to do...

I am a FTWM & all my 3 kids are in full day childcare/ school. We leave home at 7am & get home at 7.30pm. I pack their bags based is required from the childcare/ school every morning. I no longer use the service of the part-time cleaner. So she is doing the household chores & cooking for the children. She finishes her work by 11am.

I plan to take back the cooking part as 1 of my child has special dietary requirement, which I was being informed by the pead recently. Well, this is not the 1st time my hubby being assigned overseas & I was able to cope then when my no 3 was still a fully bf bb.

Hello hy80,

Sounds like your maid is too efficient or it must be that your house is too clean there is nothing for her to do....I am also looking for a day time helper. Just need the maid to come by once a week to help with some housework. Can be on a weekday too. I did not get a maid because my house is too small and there is no space for the maid to sleep. It's a win win because she gets to earn extra allowance and at the same time you get a breather without her watching over you.Do think about it and let me know. Cheers.

Hi ladymel, I don't think this is allowed under MOM rules, don't want to get her in trouble. Sorry about that.

Hi hy80, I totally understand what you are going through. I have a maid too, she's not perfect but she gets the job done. I am unable to stand a stranger living in the same space for prolonged time, I feel like no privacy at all. If no help at home, how would you cope?

I plan to engage the same part time cleaner whom helped me previously, 3 times a week for cleaning, hang my washed laundries & ironing. She will be gone by the time I get home, so I have been very happy with this arrangement before getting a helper.

I have been quite independent with the kids & I don't bring my helper together when I go out with my kids. So she is really under-utilised. I am also not used to ordering ppl around & I prefer to do simple chores myself (e.g. washing my own cup, putting my own dirty laundry away, making my own tea).

I have made up my mind and will spill the beans about my intention to her. Will let her decide whether she wants to go back home or transfer to another employer. Will help her as much as possible & I don't mind absorbing her loan if she wishes to go home. That's the least I can do.

I don't think she has experience handling new borns. The youngest child of her previous employer is a toddler.

wa..you must be a super mum!
maybe you can ask her to do grocery (if she knows the way to supermarket n back home?), ask her to clean the house daily basis? my mum ask my maid to clean the floor twice daily, must wipe all the furniture & window daily and wash toilet daily. also have to cook 3 meals per day, buy groceries, do the laundry...

Hi hy80, your husband is really considerate to get you a helper to offload your time at home...perhaps he felt that having a maid free you up from housework so you can have more time to bond with your kids...however, I agree that if you want to train your kids to be very independent at home and help you with chores, having a maid is kind of pointless...I guess she want to find things to do and keep herself busy rather than feeling so bored...

I happen to be sourcing for a maid who is experienced with toddler as I am expecting another baby next year. If you do not mind, you can pm me if you want to transfer her out. thank you.

Hi Hy80,

I m looking for a transferred Indonesian helper. My current helper is going back this dec as she wants to start her family soon. I have 2 kids aged 5 and 2.

Thanks and regards.

Would you like to let her go? My grandaunt is looking for a maid. Duties include looking after her, cleaning and cooking. No young kids to look after. Pls let me know if you're keen to transfer. No off days as she needs some one to look after her. She's not bedridden.

Back