Mummies staying at Clementi / Dover / Commonwealth

Good morning ladies
happy.gif

Any mums of babies below 1 year living in Clementi or Dover? I am moving to Clementi mid 2012.

<font color="aa00aa">Any1 got any good pie contacts? Those with meat, to serve as one of the main dishes. Preferrably in the west. TIA!</font>

I am a mother of twins and registered at agape @clementi. I registered since October 2011 and still have to wait because of this HFMD cases popping up so frequently. I wish to pull them out since they have not started yet, but the school wont refund me the deposit. any advice?

Hi Kidz_skidz,,err..yes...i will pm you seperately cos don't wish to 'promote' my biz here..;) not nice lah..

Hi lynn,,they won't refund?hmm..i used to have a space at another cc,,but manage to get my refund back cos my girl did not start in the other cc too. Diff schools may have diff policies.

Agape updated me this morning. They tot my girl has hfmd(again??) cos i never let her attend school today..I never let her attend these two days cos scared will spread to her again. latest update: 9 cases, 6 recovered. I will wait for another 1-2 days before sending back .

Hi Kidz_Skidz

Thanks for the welcome
happy.gif

dear mummies, anyone with infants at My First Skool at Clementi Blk 375 and 339?
Any feedbacks on the infant care ctr?
Will really appreciate your reviews.
Thanks

hi
i m looking for private piano teacher in Clementi.
Anyone has any good piano teacher to recommend for beginners?
Thank you.
happy.gif

I think I hv. lent my Lactaline Dual to a friend who replaced some parts w BN ones. let me chk n update in abt an hour's time

Hi Everyone,

Im sending my girl who is now 19mth to MyFirst Skool at Clementi Blk 428 starting April... any mummies with kids there? Mind Sharing?

JTS: My boy gave me HFMD scare abt 3wks back, on a Mon. He had been complaining of 'bad throat' since 3 days before. Then on Mon as I got him ready for kindy, I saw red spots on his palms (bt not raised bumps). Shone a torch into his mouth &amp; saw 2 ulcers on one of his cheeks. So brought him to see Dr. The usual 24-Hour Central Clinic we go to was super crowded w poly students there for chk-ups. The nurse said no concession even if it's suspected HFMD, wld stl hvta wait 1hr. So I had to bring my boy around looking for another clinic.

Finally wandered to Healthway, new clinic nxt to the Post Office. It had only 1 patient waiting. The lady @ e counter is super nice, very matronly. Seems the usual Dr Tan was there, a young Dr Ryan was on duty instead. But he was very good with my 3YO - the visit ended w them exchanging 'high-fives'
happy.gif
Dr Ryan taught me to chk when a spot is not a rash. He pressed on my boy's palm &amp; showed how the spots disappeared before coming back. That he said was more of blood vessels 'spotting'. If it's a rash, when we use our finger/thumb to press down on it, it would stl be visible. I got an all-clear letter from him before sending my boy to sch with it.

Anyway, I like the clinic. The counter staff looks like one of those permanent sort, not those PT/come &amp; go types @ the other clinic. Also it's new, spacious &amp; they take the Baby Bonus Card too.

Hi mums! I rec'd this info fr my kids' kindy
happy.gif

<font size="+1"><font color="ff0000">March School Holiday! Children Books &amp; Toys Warehouse SALE - 40% to 80% Discount!
</font></font>

6777611.gif

Date : 9 March 2012 to 24 March 2012
Opening Hours : Mon to Sat, 8.30am to 5.30pm. (Closed on Sun)
Address : 102F Pasir Panjang Road, #05-02 Citilink Warehouse Complex
Payment : Cash, Nets &amp; Visa/Master
Bus No.: 10, 30, 51, 143, 175, 176 &amp; 188
Nearest MRT Station : Pasir Panjang MRT Station (Circle Line)

For more information, please call 6275 5722 or email [email protected]
Over 5,000 Children Books &amp; Toys

Hi Everyone,
Im from Tokyo two weeks ago.
My baby girl is 16months.

Recently,Im searching for school.
But I don't have knowlede about school in singapore.
And,unfortunately,I don't have local freinds
Please advise to me.

If it possible,I make her go to primary school
in singapore.

<font color="0000ff">Hi Miki! Welcome to the neighbourhood!</font>

School-wise, you may want to consider 2 or 3-hour programmes. Entry age is usually when a child turns 18 months old. This is what's known as 'Playgroup'.

Are you residing in Clementi, Dover or West Coast? Let us know and the rest of us mums can share what we know about the preschools nearer to you. If you prefer, you can use the 'Private Message' (PM) function to send me a message directly. Just click on 'Kidz_Skidz' in the left column to find the function for sending me a PM.
happy.gif

<font color="119911">Space Jam Playgym @ Anchor Point</font> Wonder if any mum here has brought your little one to try it out? I saw an online deal for the place, $7.50 for Unlimited Play. Haven't had time to go by that place to check out how the playgym is. However, now I'm also trying to avoid places like this since there are so many cases of HFMD going around.

My friend just told me that her sec 2 son caught it from a classmate last week -- so the boy's weeklong school holiday has been ruined...

<font color="aa00aa">Hi Joanne:</font> I'm really blur, u actually have put there that your girl's a 19MO but I missed it and still asked
happy.gif

Hello everyone,

I live near Holland village. Do I qualify to chat here?

Kidz_skidz: I saw in your previous post that you send your kids to ireadnwrite at Pandan valley. Incidentally, I my daughter there since August last yr. She goes twice a week. But we took a long break in Dec and January. She seems to have forgotten some words and hard to go through the words again. Can share your kids progress?

Thanks!

<font color="0077aa">Pixy:</font> Hi! All parents are welcome to share stories &amp; trade tips here
wink.gif

I'm very happy with ireadnwrite and intend to send my boy for a trial end of this mth, as he'll turn 3 nxt mth and that's the entry age for the prog. His sister, who's 5, started in ireadnwrite when she was 3.5YO. To lay a stronger foundation, I also started her on twice a wk lessons for 1-2 terms. She picked up really fast and since Term 3 of last yr (N2 yr), she has progressed to K2 books + started to write short sentences. I don't revise with her what she's learn (tho her tchrs say I shd...) but I do give her a variety of early readers to "read". She's able to pick up the words she's learnt @ ireadnwrite so it's helped as a form of revision.

Btw e public library in Clementi Mall has a wide range of Early Readers -- and since the place only opened last yr, the books are stl in good condition i.e. cleaner
happy.gif

<font color="ff0000">ireadnwrite.com</font>
Mums, you can chk the above website for info. There is a free 30mins trial to assess if ur child's at a suitable stage to start in the prog. The entry age is 3Y. Fee is $520 for 12 wks of lessons. Think twice a wk lessons are charged at $960.

Hi Kidz_Skidz,

Thanks for your feedback on ireadnwrite. I will wait and see how my daughter's progress is. She is in N2 this year, but age-wise is young - 3 yrs 4 mths. Just checked that she is on level 2 now. I know what standard that is.

Thanks for the tips on early readers. I will ask my daughter to read. I have not been to the library at Clementi mall. Time to check it out...

Do u know if the CMA or MPM at pandan valley is any good? You heard of seriously addictive maths at henry park?
Thanks!

<font color="0077aa">Pixy:</font> Henry Park Apartments has been en-bloc so SAM may nt be there for long. Last yr my boy was in the MMI Preschool there and I picked up SAM's brochure. I noticed that they hold 'information' talks for parents now and then. Perhaps u can give them a call and chk out what they do?

I enquired w CMA &amp; MPM bt the outlets that are in Jurong East Central. However the class size seems to be quite big. That's why I hv my eye on Monkey Abacus at Blk 721 Clementi West St 2 (block running parallel to West Coast CC). It's in English, seems very fun and the class size is smaller. However the trial period is over 4 sessions -- they say only over 4 sessions can a child grasp the concept and show any result. The centre opened in the 2nd half of last yr so it's stl quite new and since it's in a shop, they hv their own toilets. I find that's the best for the safety of the children. Here is the website http://www.appleplusschool.com.sg/?main-ppzxs/

Hi kidz_skidz: I am not really familiar with the benefits a learning abacus. Heard that MPM and CMA are popular. Are u going to try monkey Abacus? can let u know your thoughts? West coast is further away fr my house, so would prefer Pandan valley.

Dear mummies/daddies,

Am keen to put child in Agape@Clementi. Wonder if the K1 class is good? Any parents care to share their observation for the K1 class? Are the teachers experience? How do they discipline the children when they are loud and noisy?

TIA!

<font color="0077aa">Pixy</font> Fr what I understand, the initial stage kids will learn to use the abacus. Then they're suppose to transfer it to mental arithmetic. I am keen on letting my B1 try the Monkey Abacus class bt hvn't been able to find a suitable time-slot. Btw, I can't rmbr if it's MPM or CMA that teaches the child to use both hands to work the abacus -- supposedly then trains both right and left brain.

For Pandan Valley, there're quite a variety of enrichment centres. I only wish they cld provide a sheltered pick up area + improve the public toilets the children are using (toilets very small and dark). I always make B1 use the toilet @ home before going there. Otherwise when it's raining, the corridor there gets very wet and I worry that she may slip while going to the toilet. Other con is nothing to do there on those days when B2 &amp; I need to wait for B1 to finish reading class. Bt things wl change soon when B2 turns 3 and can join ireadnwrite too. Actually I kinda miss those days of pushing B2 around in stroller and walking/shopping around while waiting for B1 to finish class
happy.gif

<font color="ff0000">Open House @ Park West Creche on Sat, 24 March from 10am to 12noon</font>

FYI. I rec'd the flyer this week. Flyer states full childchild prog offered along w playground, nursery, kindergarten, before/after school care &amp; emergency care. I've no idea if it's a new or existing centre but the flyer also states they have 4 other branches in Sgp. Here are more details abt the Park West brach:

Address: 8 Jalan Lempeng (behind Nan Hua Primary Sch)
Tel: 67741996 / Assistance hoteline: 82865470

Hi Kidz_Skidz,

Been researching about abacus. There are a few types of abacus and different numbers of beads. CMA uses the 2-hands, 4 fingers technique, which helps with the right and left brain development. The type of abacus used makes it easier kids to visualise for mental calculations.

I am still thinking about what type of math enrichment class to send my daughter for.

The toilets at pandan valley are not nice. so i put my daughter in diapers, just in case. I am FTWM, so my mil drops maid and daughter at readnwrite. my maid waits downstairs til the class ends. I am super concerned with safety now, after the 2 incidents of attempted kidnapping in SG.

May i know what level was your daughter when she started reading K2 books, and writing short sentences?

<font color="119911">Pinpanter:</font> Sorry, the table has found a new home
happy.gif

<font color="0000ff">Pixy:</font> Just before Term 4 started last year. That means when she was around 4.5YO. Shortly after her tchrs introduced her to the K2-level Ginn Readers, they got her to start writing.
happy.gif
Re: Abacus, I also have information overload from all the different styles and curriculum.

<font color="ff0000">Kidnapping attempts:</font> I read thru a Facebook post that another mum shared her experience @ Northpoint Shopping Centre. Her child was in a stroller and her maid was holding on to one of the handles. The mum had turned to look into the Baby Spa shop and turned back to see a "China" man holding on to the other handle of the stroller. She glared at him and he walked off.

Whether it is a real attempt to kidnap or not, I think we've all become complacent about safety in Singapore. We have had too many years of low crime and now even the police force has grown complacent when they attend to complaints.

End of the day, we need to remember to be vigilant again. If you have maids, drilled it into them because as a stay-at-home-mum, I have really seen too many cases of maids not minding their young charges while they are out. This happens when I'm doing my grocery shopping and the maids also bring the little ones so the maids can meet up with their friends or run errands.
sad.gif

kidz_Skidz,

Wow! u hv alot of lobangs in clementi. Earlier on, u recommned the art class n music workshop located at clementi, issit good?

Anyone tried out them?

Wow u get to know there is a new abacus sch at Clementi west. I heard of monkey abacus. My fren's kid also attending this sch n comment quite good.

Currently my child is with Agape CC. The cc is also having optional course Abacus from enrichment hub. I signed up and my child just started with it.

icanreadwrite:
Is this course very good? Can u tell me more abt this course. My child is able to read well but she is not interested in writing at all. Does the teacher ask them to draw n write at the same time to enhance their creativity n imaginative? so far ur girl can write how many short sentences? on her own or with help?

Hello mummies!

I'm staying at west coast wif a 18 mo daughter. Planning to send her to a playgroup in 2013. Any recommendation?

Thanks!

Hi :

Anyone know any good English enrichment class for N1 and P1 boys?
I am staying in Clementi Ave 2, hope to enroll them to a centre nearby.

<font color="0000ff">Coffee Lover:</font> There's a Joanne Choo language sch near the Shop n Save. I hvn't heard anything abt it tho. Maybe u can chk it out and approach the parents who are waiting outside to find out more?
http://joannechoo.sg/

<font color="119911">Kite:</font> Many of my friends share info abt enrichment classes w me. Plus my sis was also an early childhood educator &amp; she gives me good tips on how to assess whc enrichment progs are appropriate to a child's need and age.
happy.gif

Writing-wise, she needs assistance with spelling. She doesn't hv a problem with sentence structure and no major issue when it comes to grammar --- since English is the 1st language used @ home. I find my gal is good when it comes to creative play i.e. she comes up with various stories/scenarios when playing with her dolls, soft toys and Lego blocks. The very least I can do is help her to boost her language skills so she can express properly in speech and hopefully on paper as she progresses.
happy.gif

Her progression in ireadnwrite has definitely sparked her interest in writing bt this year the "letter-writing" culture among her classmates has also been a good motivation. Almost daily, my gal will come home with some "letter" from one of her friends. Some days her school bag would have 3-4 letter + drawings so I've now had to give her a box to keep all these. But I think it's a good "problem" as she's been reciprocating by writing and drawing for her friends too. Some of these exchanges are really cute, especially how these kids write about "I love you", "You are my best friend". Lol
biggrin.gif

<font color="aa00aa">Banmy:</font> I don't know abt playgroups in the West Coast area but I would advise you start planning about which kindergarten you want to send your gal to in 2014/15
happy.gif
I know Clementi Woods Kindergarten (Christian) is very popular. It's important to take note of when the popular kindys hold their annual registration exercise
wink.gif

anyone of ur kids attend music lesson at music workshop at clementi central? wld like to know more abt feedback.
thanks.

Banmy: my son is in Clementi Woods Kindergarten, i heard that registeration for next year playgroup is already closed. My son was lucky to sneak into this year's playgroup, we didnt queue for it but opt for the less popular 11:15am - 2:15pm class instead. Maybe you can try calling the kidnergartern

any mummies with N1 children at Agape Clementi? just got to know at the mother's day celebration event that the two new teachers who are replacing teacher Selva and wang lao shi does not have any experience teaching in singapore. The English teacher is a filipino and I find her accent pretty strong. Hence I am very concerned with this abrupt change.Any other mummies with the same concerns?

hi :

I am planning to send my 6 year old son to learn swimming at Clementi swimming complex? May I know where can I find the swimming instructor?

Hi....i am a newbie....i have a 20-mth old girl...am thinking of putting her in the PG class at Agape Clementi.....MIL stays nearby there....haven gone there to check....anyone can comment on teachers there? Is the environment good? Importantly is the teachers....how are they?? Might just pop down one of these days...but wanna know more here 1st...

Hi,

I'm a West Coast mummy who has two girls age 3yo and 7yo this year.
Hope you won't mind me sharing this chat
happy.gif

Bammy > My 2 girls attended Clementi Woods Kindergarten as well. I am indeed very glad to manage to register them there. Their popular morning class is always full. I also took the less popular timing, 11.15am - 2.15pm like what LavenderBear did.

hello mummies who have children attending clementi woods kindy, how is the school (environment) and teachers? I heard thru a friend who knows of someone's kid who is there that the school doesn't have much enrichment classes, so this mummy has to sign her kid up for quite a few enrichment classes outside school.

Back