Mt Alvernia - hard to get single bedder thru natural delivery?

pearainer

Can i check any mummies have experience having problems getting a single bedder butthrough natural delivery at Mt Alvernia? As my gynae keep on telling me that Now Mt A is highly possible to get downgraded to even 4 bedded as Natural delivery is usually hard to get a single room. (even tho i know they are not guaranteed)

any advice ?

It's got nothing to do with how you deliver my dear.
If there are too many women delivering that day, whether natural, or ceasarean or whatever, and there's no room available, then there's no room available. There are no guarantees, whether at Mt A or any other hospital.
Even if you have a planned caesarean, and booked a single, if on that day/night, too many women come in and give birth, you will get whatever is available.

But Mt A has a new wing right so they should have a lot more rooms now.

By the way, just in case you thought you will be shown to the "one-bedder bedroom" when you check in, this is not the case. When you check in, you will be put in the labour ward, which are all "single". It's only after you give birth that you are wheeled to the one-bedder or two bedder etc that you have booked.

Yes... sunny72 is right... i opt for 2bedrm when i gib birth to my 2nd son in Mt A.
I think is jus as good to e 1bedrm...
U dont need to get e 4bdrm - 2bdrm is jus nice if u dont mine e other bed mummy's has many visitor as it will b noisy...
Go for e tour which Mt A provide. U can register frm their web...

I opted for single room but no available room when I was wheeled out of e delivery suite so stayed in a 2 bedded room. When e single room became available, den I changed room. It's 1st come 1st served, so really depending on wad time u leave e delivery suite...

I opted for single room but no available room when I was wheeled out of e delivery suite so stayed in a 2 bedded room. When e single room became available, den I changed room. It's 1st come 1st served, so really depending on wad time u leave e delivery suite...

Hi were u charged for one bed or two bed for the half day / days u were at the two bedder? Thks!

I can't really rem. I think they charged me e double room rate for e period I was there, den single room rate for e rest. Can call them to confirm :)

Impossible. Mount alvernia have upgraded to more room for single bedder. So you should be able to get it

I took 2 bedded coz I wan my hub to go back n rest.

Most of the time I m alone. No neighbour. Like a single bed with double bed charges

I gv birth to #2 at Mt A recently... They didn't hv 1 bed room available the day I gv birth so was warded in a 2 bedder. If your husband plans to stay overnight as your companion then you must opt for single bedder. They charge you for your single bed from the day you are moved to the room.

Hi All! I'm due in Dec (likely a Sunday), and considering Mt A. Mummies who have given birth in Mt A, are the midwives and nurses good? It's my 1st baby, so I think i will prefer to have experienced and reassuring staff to help me during labour, especially since my gynae is not based in Mt A and it will be some time b4 she makes her entrance. What about the lactation consultant? I have been hearing of difficulties new mummies have with latching on as well as engorgement, can the nurses/ lactation consultant help?

Thanks for helping with my qns...

as per my last delivery in mid 2013, the lactation consultant is very good and very encouraging. They will give you a phone number to call for help. The ward has expanded where new A1 ward was added last year. The have parentcraft centre were you can seek help if facing problem in breastfeeding. Not sure about the charges. I requested for a window side bed if had to take an 2bedded ward. It will give you slightly more privacy. You can call up and ask for hospital tour. They will brief you thru all the steps to do during admisson and show you the delivery ward, room boarding etc.. and there is usually goodie bag for each couple too.

I gave birth recently at Mt A and as usual no single room beds during the 1st night... I see that the double beds are usually vacant, I guess it becos mummies opt for single rooms to hv privacy. If you are willing to take a chance with double rm you might usually land up alone in the room.
@VVV The nurses are good... not to sure abt midwives as my previous experience when I tried natural didn't go well. Mt A is pro-breastfeeding, their lactation consultants are not bad. But again, it depends on your luck who comes and visit you whether the person is meticulous and paitent with your requests. During my 1st delivery, you could ask the lactation consultant to visit you through your stay. It appears that now you will have to pay for subsequent visits by the lactation consultant. Since you are due in Dec, I would suggest for you to enrol in their pre-natal class, they will teach you the basics first and at least you have a better idea when the lactation consultant comes by your room.

Gave birth in Mt A in Aug. When I arrived in labour ward, there was no single bed available. After my many hours of delivery, there was 1 single deluxe rm available. So whether you get a single rm or not depends purely on luck. The single deluxe rm is gd. Go for it if given a choice. It's clean & spacious. The room svs is very gd. Got people come change drinking water for u everyday. Dun even need to boil ur own water. They change hot & rm temp water for u. Everyday got people wash ur toilet. And the housekeeping auntie come a few times a day just to throw ur rubbish. There was even a day where someone came to ask is the curtain alright. There is nothing wrong with the rm at all and yet they bother to keep checking.
Lactation consultant depends on ur preference. I meet 3different lactation consultant from MtA. One of them was fabulous but she is stationed in their parentcraft centre & maybe will not do room visit. I did not ask anyway coz I met her after I'm discharged. Another One who visited me in my rm was so rough on me. She squeeze my breast real hard to try to squeeze milk out from me & keep encouraging breast feeding which kinda irritate me coz I have no milk yet right after delivery. The 3rd lactation consultant is normal i.e not rough or whatever. They come to visit u everyday except Sun/discharge day. I discharge on Sun so I dunno the lactation consultant did not visit me becoz I'm discharging or they dun work on Sun. U dun haf to request for them to come, they will drop by everyday.
Nurses are fabulous. They are v gd to ur newborn. My newborn stayed in the nursery longer due to complications & it's really gd to know that the nurses are really gd to ur newborn. They took care of my newborn even better than me so it's really reassuring that my newborn is in safe hands.

Last edited:
thanks all for sharing your experiences. You all are so much more informative than the Mt A staff when I emailed them my queries. For every question i asked, I hear a *kerching* in their response, got me rethinking if I should head there for delivery. There was no mention of LC doing rounds, only 1 complimentary session during my stay. Any additional help i need comes with (again) another kerching.

@snowpeony i'm doing my prenatal classes with TMC now. Heard TMC's was very comprehensive, got freaked out by birthing videos (so much for my ignorance is bliss motto). Maybe I'm expecting too much, but i was hoping for more hands-on. Is Mt A classes hands-in? Btw during your stay, did you get to stay in the 2-bedder alone since there was no single room available?

@Shirlen Good to know there are LCs going around making rounds. I heard Sister Kang is real good. Is she the one who's stationed in the parentcraft centre?

thanks all for sharing your experiences. You all are so much more informative than the Mt A staff when I emailed them my queries. For every question i asked, I hear a *kerching* in their response, got me rethinking if I should head there for delivery. There was no mention of LC doing rounds, only 1 complimentary session during my stay. Any additional help i need comes with (again) another kerching.

@snowpeony i'm doing my prenatal classes with TMC now. Heard TMC's was very comprehensive, got freaked out by birthing videos (so much for my ignorance is bliss motto). Maybe I'm expecting too much, but i was hoping for more hands-on. Is Mt A classes hands-in? Btw during your stay, did you get to stay in the 2-bedder alone since there was no single room available?

@Shirlen Good to know there are LCs going around making rounds. I heard Sister Kang is real good. Is she the one who's stationed in the parentcraft centre?

Not sure whether it's sister Kang or not (forgot her name) but the lady is a non-local Chinese lady in her forties. She sound like she is from China but her English is gd.

Not sure whether it's sister Kang or not (forgot her name) but the lady is a non-local Chinese lady in her forties. She sound like she is from China but her English is gd.
Haha I got the same LC (I delivered on 4 Aug in Mount A), and she also man handled my boobs and was very pek chek when nothing came out.

Back