MOMMY CLUB - Yr 2007 P1's (Yr2000 Millennium & Dragon Babies)

Rains,
I think our kids are now of the age that is quite difficult to handle. When they were younger, they were quite ok to let their parents decide for them what/when to do. Now they want to make their own decisions but are often not capable of doing so for various reasons. And sometimes we as parents try too hard to prevent them from making mistakes.

I believe they do understand that it is important to do well for exams but there are too many distractions and probably more school activities which tire them out, hence they long to do anything except study.... 心有余而力不足.

VQ,

You're so funny! hahahaa ... I never thought of that - to celebrate her birthday at a place she doesn't want to punish her. Hahahaa. You must be the first person to link 'celebration' with 'punishment'.

I always imagine that you must be a very funny mother.

Jess,

Is that right? It's true that there are more school activities now. And she's been identified to go for Chinese remedial, so another day down. And just yesterday, she needed to go her friend's house to complete a project and we only left the place at 8pm. By the time we reached, home, we were both pooped. She conked out immediately.

Rains,
Just like my son - he had CCA yesterday, came home at 5.30pm, then do homework, had dinner and then do project till 9.30pm. Where to find energy to study after such a long day...

Jess,
I'm impressed. Your son can still do homework after CCA? And then continue to do work after dinner till 9.30pm? Wow! It's a feat for a child I thought. My kid collapses after she comes home from CCA at 5pm.

I agree with rains. My P4 son comes home after CCA and insists on a break and watches TV. But after dinner time, it's a mad rush to try and finish homework by 9.30pm. When we try to reason with him and get him to reduce TV-time he gets so upset. It's worse when the teachers sometimes all give homework and there's suddenly 3 worksheets to hand up and a spelling list...I feel sorry for making him work hard but to give him a break then struggle after dinner is just as bad.

Rains/Sctan,
I must say that when it comes to finishing his school homework, he never fails to do so no matter how tired he is ... unless he really forgets about it. He also prefers to finish all his work before dinner but I will ask him to take a break if he already has a long day at school because the break will allow him to concentrate better and hence do faster.

Sctan,
I'm not able to give my son an off-day on Fridays when it's near exams. He has loads of hw on Fridays and our agreement since P1 is to complete all school hw by the end of the day. However, he will take a nap every day or he will be too tired by 7pm.
He tried to finish his hw without the nap, but there were many mistakes as he's too tired.

Wow, Jess,
You're so fortunate to have a son like that. My kid sometimes goes to the extent of bluffing me that she has completed her homework. At best, she negotiates with me - to finish two pieces of assignment on Friday, another two pieces on Saturday and Sunday.

Your son really has self-discipline, which is not easy for a kid this age.

Hi, sctan!

How come Millenium year got more boys than girls? I always thought it should be the other way round.

Jess,
You are really fortunate your son is so disciplined...he will go a long way bcos he has internal motivation.

Rains,
Year 2000 seemed to have more boys than girls...I remember the year my son graduated from K2, there were more boys than girls.

Jess/Janet: your kids are really hardworking. Mine is likes rains' kid - forever bargaining for later, or for tomorrow. And he is forgetful so sometimes forgets there is homework to be completed.

Rains: thanks for the welcome. I really like this board but wish there were more boards for 'older' mothers....

Jess,
Is your son in GEP? Bcos usually the GEPers are like that - disciplined and impose expectations on themselves.

Hahaha, 'aunties'. I'm getting used to the term 'auntie'. I used to feel abit taken aback when people used this term on me, but in recent years, I've come to accept that I'm really an auntie already, in terms of status and looks. Cannot be in denial anymore.

Oh, mummies,
It's set! I'll celebrate her birthday by taking her to Universal Studio this Saturday. No massive and messy party.
happy.gif
We haven't been there yet so I thought it'll be good to go. And she gets to invite her best friend to go.
happy.gif
She's so thrilled that she's spending her birthday with her best friend.

Rains,
He is not in GEP, he took the test but wasn't qualified. Anyway, I don't think he is gifted, just very kiasu and kiasi...

Sctan,
You must be kidding...my son bargains with me all the time. Oh yes, he has been forgetting to finish his homework and the teacher has been sending me 'love notes' asking for acknowledgement.

Rains,
Reached auntie status...but still can't get used to this term when people get their kids to address me.

Unforgettable birthday celebration for your daughter...she gets to celebrate with best friend and mummy/daddy get to visit the place too.

My son's teachers will make them stay back during recess or even after school or take away their stars if they do not submit their homework on time. Sometimes the form teacher will also spot check their diary to see if they did record down the homework. So most of the children will just "guai guai" do their homework.

Jess,
My kid's teachers also make her stay back during recess if she doesn't submit her homework, but she's still like that. How I wish my kid is kiasu and kiasi! Kids without fears are parents' and teachers' worst nightmare.

Janet,
Yeah, she looks forward to it very much.
happy.gif
She loves her best friend so. She has placed an order (I helped her la) for a photo cake of her and her best friend. I really like to see her loving someone so much. It's very childlike and innocent to give so much love to someone else. I hope she can remain like this.

Rains,
Advance Happy Birthday to ur GIRL!!!

Great to know she has a best friend. My girl had a few best friends. 1 of them, use my girl's name to create a FB ac and a few email accounts. This made other ppl thot that my girl hv several ac... I wrote message to that friend n warned her to stop doing this. She ignore n reply me that she is not this person, blar..blar...blar... This girl really know how to tell lies with eye open very wide. My girl trusted this friend so much that she gave her the password to her personal email.

After i know it. i change the password n close the account. guess what? she requested for password to be sent to her email. Email co then send me an email on unauthorised personnel request for password. That girl's email is on the email. I forward this email to their form teacher who is an IT head in sch. I made this known to him, also to inform him that the other accounts were not set up by my girl.

Not that i wanted to "complain" abt this bunch of ppl fm this country. Wanted to let them know that We, the citizen of SINGAPORE is not to be bullied so easily!!!

She got a warning letter!! Hahaha.... And her results drop tremendously bcos she spend her time "hacking" into few other friends ac too!!!!

Rains,
It's great to have a best friend...the feeling is great.

My son's teachers also make him stay back during recess if he has not completed his homework...he doesn't seem to learn his lesson. How I know ? He comes home starving.

Talking about staying back during recess, I just heard a story from a friend about her daughter's class being made to stay back during recess for whatever reasons.She said that her daughter was an innocent victim and there were only a few kids who annoyed the teacher and the entire class was punished. Apparently, her daughter doesn't eat much in the morning, so recess is her breakfast time and her mother really took the trouble to prepare food for her to eat during recess. As they were often made to stay back during her recess, she often went hungry and developed gastritis.She also fell sick with high fever due to the "trauma". My friend was furious and made a complaint. To cut the long story short, the school changed the teacher.

Jess,
Oh dear, the teacher was a relief teacher wasn't she? If she had been a permanent one, she would know that she was not supposed to keep the kids for the whole recess.

We all know of teachers who punish the whole class for a few naughty kids. The rationale given by one such teacher I knew was to make the kids see that they should behave properly as a class. Each individual child is held accountable for his classmate's behaviour.

VQ,
My kid also had her facebook account meddled with by someone who had her password and username. She felt very sad when the person deleted over 40 of her friends and spent all her hard earned money on Pet's Society. But it was a good lesson for her. I took the chance to tell her that the internet is not all that safe and she shouldn't share her password with anybody.

Jess,
Ur friend's girl must be very scare of school after that! But hope the new teacher will be better!

Rains,
My girl's form teacher knows that the naughty girl is very good in IT too! He advised my girl to change password and change to another email account!

After that incident, that girl receive warning letter fm teacher then she together with the other girls, fm the same class n same country, "takan" my girl now n then! My girl was so disturbed and keep on telling us that she wants to change school. But i told her, this is no use, she has to learn to speak up n complain whenever ppl bully or disturb her. I cant alway sms or email to complain to teacher. I dont like to do this too!

Those bad girls got a cardboard n scribble some bad words on it, then they bring it to the teacher n tell her that my girl wrote it! Of cos my girl got scolded cos my girl was disturbed by those incidents n handwriting become so bad!! They anyhow scribble also look like my girl's handwriting. She cried when i fetched her fm sch, telling me that her beloved teacher dont even believe her!

I told her to go back to sch the next day, tell her teacher that she is not going to apologise for things she has not done but if she did it, she will apologise! i told her also if u do it, u go apologise!

Nw, ok liao! those girls fm that country "aiming" another girl, n give her trouble liao!!!

My hubby n i alway tell my girl: Best friend is not forever but family are!!! And no matter what n how, nvr trust anyone even ur best friend! They might betray u 1 day! Can be close but must be wary n be alert too!!

Rains,
She is a full time staff who just joined the school last year. I think she did give them 10min of recess time, but maybe not enough for my friend's daughter to eat.

VQ,
The daughter did develop a phobia and would start crying when she put on the shoes in the morning. And apparently, she was so traumatised that she developed a high fever. That's why my friend lodged a complaint.

VQ,
Oh, your girl must have suffered much. She must have felt very helpless when you told her she has to learn to speak up for herself. I'm also a timid person so I understand how it feels when others ask you to speak up when you really don't dare to. Even now, I often don't speak up even if I'm misunderstood.

If I think the situation is not very serious, I get my kid to tell her teacher and I tell her exactly what to say. If I find that it's affecting her badly, I will email the teacher and I don't care if I look like an overly concerned parent.

I find telling kids this age 'best friend is not forever but family is' can be abit dangerous. My mother told us that when we were young and I didn't like it. I think from the fact that my kid changes her best friend every now and then, she is able to know that best friends may not stay with her forever. However, I do want her to love people wholeheartedly. Even if she's let down (which I think will not amount to something that's too permanent at this age), I think it's a good learning experience. She has her own tears to shed (haha, directly translated from 她有自己的泪要流), and should have a chance at having her heart broken once in a while.
happy.gif

Jess,
My son's EL teacher do make the kids stay back during recess if they misbehave or don't do their homework. Fortunately she does give them 10 min to munch on something. I always put some biscuits in my son's bag in case he is punished.

Rains,

We keep on mentioning her the "Best friends is not forever but family is" bcos last yr, she keeps on coming back telling us that this friend dun fren her, another day that fren dun fren her. She looks so pity n we actually wanted to tell her, not to care so much abt friends. friends is nothing for nw, they will keep on changing frens!!

but til nw, this good fren of hers, local girl, both of them had been together fm end of last yr til nw. i dont hv the contact of that lady teacher. cos she is their MT teacher only ext. to call. i hate to make this kind of phone call n talk to a machine! So i told my girl to settle herself! Hey! my mom nvr settle my problems in sch for me too!! Hahaha....

Anyway, the problems had been solved. The BIG problem nw is SA1!!!

SA1 is getting nearer, but my son seems to have very little time to study after all the projects, cca etc... How's your kids preparation for SA1?

My son just had oral exams for both EL and MT. Then this morning before school, he asked if he had any exam today! Just shows that he doesn't even know when the exams are!

Jess,
Yes SA1 is very close, but son has to go for NAPFA this week...leaving him very tired after school. Little time for revision bcos nights are for school homework as he has to sleep in the afternoon.

Sctan,
I used HIGHLIGHTER to highlight exam dates for ORAL, PAPER 1 and PAPER II. Pasted them on the wall.

Janet,
My son had NAPFA test yesterday too but just the 1.6km run and it is conducted during PE lessons, so not too bad.

I also do up a calendar and plant the exam dates on it so that he knows exam is near....

Hi Jess,
My DD had NAPFA Test today too! It's the sit-up, broad jump, etc... Luckily, we hv enough time to bring her back home for a shower, rest, etc.. If not, hv to bring another set of uniform for her, then this will be another additional "burden" to her already-very-heavy schoolbag!

For exam, i will do up an exam study time-table for her a mth before the exam. I will make sure she has at least 30days before, for exam preparation! Hehehe...

How come my kid never tell me anything about NAPFA test? I got a feeling she also has it but she doesn't even know it's NAPFA. The other day, she was telling me that she was so thirsty after a run during PE lesson that she almost fainted.

Rains,
The cake is so colourful !!!

Jess,
I highlighted all the dates, stuck them on the wall in front of him...still he can tell me he doesn't know when his exams start.
kao_frustrated.gif
Thank goodness his NAPFA finished last week. This week, his orals begin.

haha, ya la, Janet,

She loves rainbow colours since young.

For SA1, I'm living it day by day. She would come home and tell me what her next paper is. Today, she told me her paper one falls on tomorrow.

Rains,
My son would have gone ga-ga if he is 4 years old...I remembered how I went around finding Elmo stuff for him then.

Son has Orals this week after school...2-4pm. This week, can't do much revision bcos he needs his beauty sleep in the afternoon. But weekends are burnt since beginning of Apr

Rains,
NICE CAKE! But i bet u had a hard time, cutting them! Hmmm.... if for me, i really dunno where to start cutting! Hahaha...

That y i m happy with the creation of cupcakes! No need to cut at all!! Heehee...

VQ,
Are you kidding? Just remove the figurines and cut it lah. We love the cake-cutting 'ceremony' so it's never a chore for us. I love the idea of cupcakes - they always look so cute, but the thought of having no cake to cut and the having the honour to distribute cakes makes me think twice about getting them.

Today, her Chinese teacher called me again. Sigh! It's about her reluctance to put in effort which both of us can tell. Oh, mummies, I've decided to send her to the immersion programme
happy.gif
. She'll miss out on 3 days of the programme instead of the originally-planned 7. The Chinese teacher feels that it'll be good for her too as she finds her too dependent even in school.

Rains,
Your daughter's CL teacher is concerned about your daughter...it's really sweet of her to give you a call. Is your daughter mentally ready for the immersion program ?

One down...CL oral 2moro. Then can focus on Paper I next week.

Janet,
No la. She's exasperated with my kid. She has been chasing after her for her Chinese file and an exercise book for a month to no avail. She wanted to find out if there's any reason for her attitude problem towards Chinese.

My kid's dying to go to the programme. She told me she lied to get selected! She'd heard from her friend that you need to lie in interviews so she really did!

Last night, my baby fell on a wooden chopstick and it poked her left eye, breaking the chopstick into two. There was a blood spot on her eye white. I almost cried while at the clinic. My kid came and sat beside me, held my arm and said,"Not your fault. Not your fault." I'm just so touched by her sensitivity and high eq-ness.

Rains,
Is it serious ? What did the doctor say ?
Your daughter is really sweet to comfort you...girls have that EQ which is very comforting.

Thanks, mummies, for your concern.

The baby appears to be fine now. It must have been really painful when it happened, but the doc said the baby wasn't agitated or rubbing her eye, so it should be ok. He gave us an antibiotic eyedrop to prevent infection.

Sigh, mummies. This morning I rained a clothes hanger on my kid, at 5.30am, just one day after I thought she was very thoughtful.

Despite her teacher's reminder, on paper, she still didn't do her work! I was so tired I slept at 7.30pm yesterday and she also stopped doing any form of work. I refused to sign the slip her teacher asked me to acknowledge, about her nil submission of homework.

And she made the schoolbus driver wait every morning. I called her thrice to board the bus immediately and she was still asking me to sign for the homework that she didn't do. I got so agitated I picked up a clothes hanger and beat her crazily. She gritted her teeth and behaved as if it didn't bother her.

Sigh! I feel as if I'm losing my grip.

Rains,
everyone will lose their cool at some point in time, don't be too upset by it. next time, if you can help it, just walk away to cool yourself down. or maybe let her be late for once to teach her a lesson.

Rains,
I can feel the pain for ur bb. Must be very painful! Poor little bb! But ur elder is so sweet too! And u r so "Chime" when u said EQ on a 10YO. Heehee.... !!

U r not alone, my elder is also so "slack" sometimes. She is in the PM session n u know time is really not enough for her. She can still take her own sweet time. I m furious too! I told her nw u still hv mommy to "kick ur butt" to get u going, jus think what if 1 day, mommy is gone n who will kick ur butt? She then kept on telling me, not to say such sad things. She is good for 1 wk then her best friend "slack" came back yesterday knocking at her door!!!

RE: Cake Cutting
I will get her to cut 1 of the cupcakes n she will either eat it herself or present it to somebody else! Heehee...

Rains,
I understand your frustrations completely !!!
My son is dreaming away now, when I want him to do some EL compo as preparation for next week's EL I.
angry.gif
angry.gif

Hubby got so mad with him...bcos he doesn't seem to care the least. Issued warning - NO Wii until report book is returned, depending on results and effort put in.

hi mummies,

Thanks for trying to comfort me by making your kids sound like they are equally slack. Actually the teacher had been chasing after her Chinese penmanship for a month. She spent 20 mins on the phone with me just to talk to me about my kid's attitude problem towards Chinese. For me, I try as much as possible not to call parents unless it's really very serious becos every minute is so precious to me. I can always use the time spent on the phone to get some work done. So it's really quite serious.

I'm looking to send her to some Chinese enrichment class to, hopefully, improve her attitude towards Chinese.

She has always been a very endearing and high-eq child since young. I remember once, when she was barely four, my sister and I took our kids out to Raffles Shopping Centre. After my sister and I parted ways, my kid took out a pocketful load of coins and told me they were for me. I got a shock of my life as I had never given her a cent. And she had those coins in her pockets for so long! They were very heavy and she didn't utter a sound about the heaviness. She said,"Mummy, these money is for you." I asked,"Whose money is this?" She said,"It's mine." I clarified with her and she said they were on the table (apparently my mother's). When I asked her why she wanted to give them to me, she said,"You don't have money." I told her,"Mummy has money." She insisted,"You don't have alot of money."

I felt so touched by her sensibility then and thought I was so fortunate to have a child like her.

Another time when she needed ang pows for her art lesson in school, when she was in P2, my father gave her some ang pows to bring to school. But they were not enough and so she used the ones I gave her. When she came home, she told me that she used the ones I gave her and said to me,"Don't tell gong gong ok? It is his 好意。"

As I reflected on her childhood sensibility, I feel that perhaps this is a phase that she is going through and she probably doesn't enjoy it either - being scolded by the teacher almost every day, and in front of the classmates, and being kept for recess. Let's hope that some miracle will happen soon.

Rains,
Your daughter is really mature...although she drives you nuts bcos of her Chinese.

As parents, we get upset with our kids over their studies. I try not to push my kid in his Chinese since I have no intention to let him continue with Higher CL next year. No point spending too much time over 1 subject when P5 is a crucial year. However, if he wants to take HCL next year, he should put him effort to do well enough.

Why don't you have a casual talk with her, and see if anything is bothering her ? Since she is sensitive and caring towards your feelings, I think she will confide in you. Being scolded by the teacher in front of her classmates will demoralize her and affect her self-esteem.

Thanks, Janet!

Why don't you intend to let your son continue with Higher CL? Do you know that he'll get extra points if he does well in it? If you get distinction, you'll get 3 points; if merit, 2 points; if it's pass, 1 point. Of course, it'll only be useful if the child gets 250 and above.

I spoke to her the other day. She broke down and told me that the teacher said that she failed her compo practice becos she wrote about a ghost. Altho the teacher didn't mention her name, she looked in her direction and everyone stared at her. She felt humiliated. I feel so sorry for her. By her effort, I can tell that she wants to do well in Chinese as well. But she's a very slow worker, such that she cannot complete her homework very often. Aiyo. Is there a 'Make your child do work fast' enrichment centre?

Rains/Janet

Talking about taking higher CL, that is also something bothering me. I know that my son can qualify for that in terms of his exam grade, but I personally feel that he is not up to mark and may suffer later as he progresses to P6 and higher because he has no interest in the subject. He is a basically a sensible kid and he wants to do well in exams, including Chinese, that's why he is still putting an effort to do well for Chinese but without enjoying it....

Rains,
I have great respect for teachers but I am sad to hear of many cases recently where the teachers are very critical of the children and disregard the children's feelings. Maybe it is the pressure or whatever which drives these teachers mad, but I think some of them really needs to go back to school and re-learn...

Back