IVF/ICSI Support Group

@towkayneo n @patn I knew of 1 case where a lady had 20 embryos retrieved and she did a chromosome test overseas on the embryos as it is Not allowed in sg and out of the 20 only 1 tested normal to transfer. Not very encouraging though

Thats y prior to ivf my doc ask DH to do a chromosome test. It is different from the test on embryos which you mentioned... i cant remember what is it called... yes disallowed locally.
If your DH do the chromosome test and it's fine then u just need to build up your egg quality.

@towkayneo n @patn I knew of 1 case where a lady had 20 embryos retrieved and she did a chromosome test overseas on the embryos as it is Not allowed in sg and out of the 20 only 1 tested normal to transfer. Not very encouraging though
I think don't think too much 1st. Since you have frozen embryos, I think you should try it out 1st cos there are too many variable factors why pregnancy did not work out. It could be yes, genes, could be lining or just pure unlucky.

Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) differs from conventional in vitro fertilisation (IVF) in that the embryologist selects a single sperm to be injected directly into an egg, instead of fertilisation taking place in a dish where many sperm are placed near an egg.

ICSI seems to be more effective.I guess there's a price difference.
Thanks!
But do we get to choose the procedure or will it be chosen by the dr?

Must have at least 4 lines~~~actually bo bian, uncomfy but end of the day must be effective.

Think those going can pop a panadol before you head for the scratch.
@towkayneo, dr tan didnt tell me how many lines! :confused:
haha. he did le scan my womb then try again then done.
i also dunno considered got do or not. :(

Thanks!
But do we get to choose the procedure or will it be chosen by the dr?
Hi Claire. At TFC they will do ICSI as a default as it yields better results. They will only do IVF if the number of mature eggs retrieved is very high and the husband's sperms are healthy, and even so, they will discuss with the patient to set a side a certain number for IVF and the rest ICSI.

Thats y prior to ivf my doc ask DH to do a chromosome test. It is different from the test on embryos which you mentioned... i cant remember what is it called... yes disallowed locally.
If your DH do the chromosome test and it's fine then u just need to build up your egg quality.
Your DH chromosome test ok?

Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) differs from conventional in vitro fertilisation (IVF) in that the embryologist selects a single sperm to be injected directly into an egg, instead of fertilisation taking place in a dish where many sperm are placed near an egg.

ICSI seems to be more effective.I guess there's a price difference.
Hey hey, more info from KKIVF website:

In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF)/Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm (ICSI)
What Is IVF?
In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) involves putting the eggs and sperms together. By natural selection, the egg will usually allow only one sperm to enter and this usually leads to the fertilisation process in the laboratory. After fertilisation, the embryos are allowed to grow for a short period of time before being placed into the uterus. A successful pregnancy can be confirmed about two weeks later.

Who Is Suitable For IVF?
IVF is the only fertility treatment for women with irreparably damaged or blocked fallopian tubes. IVF is also offered when infertile women cannot conceive with simpler methods of treatment for conditions such as endometriosis, ovulatory dysfunction, unexplained infertility, sperm disorders and immunological problems.

What Is ICSI?
Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) involves injecting a single sperm into each egg to allow fertilisation to occur in the laboratory.

image1.jpg

Fig 1. Injecting single sperm into an egg

Who Is Suitable For ICSI?
ICSI is recommended if your husband has poor quality sperms or if you have had difficulties with fertilisation in the past. If this is your first ICSI cycle, it may also be combined with regular IVF.

Hi Claire. At TFC they will do ICSI as a default as it yields better results. They will only do IVF if the number of mature eggs retrieved is very high and the husband's sperms are healthy, and even so, they will discuss with the patient to set a side a certain number for IVF and the rest ICSI.

Thanks for the info. I would definitely prefer the effective option. Got so tired of the heartache. Are you with TFC still?

Hey hey, more info from KKIVF website:

In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF)/Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm (ICSI)
What Is IVF?
In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) involves putting the eggs and sperms together. By natural selection, the egg will usually allow only one sperm to enter and this usually leads to the fertilisation process in the laboratory. After fertilisation, the embryos are allowed to grow for a short period of time before being placed into the uterus. A successful pregnancy can be confirmed about two weeks later.

Who Is Suitable For IVF?
IVF is the only fertility treatment for women with irreparably damaged or blocked fallopian tubes. IVF is also offered when infertile women cannot conceive with simpler methods of treatment for conditions such as endometriosis, ovulatory dysfunction, unexplained infertility, sperm disorders and immunological problems.

What Is ICSI?
Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) involves injecting a single sperm into each egg to allow fertilisation to occur in the laboratory.

image1.jpg

Fig 1. Injecting single sperm into an egg

Who Is Suitable For ICSI?
ICSI is recommended if your husband has poor quality sperms or if you have had difficulties with fertilisation in the past. If this is your first ICSI cycle, it may also be combined with regular IVF.

Thanks for the info! I was more worried that my doc would not wanna do icsi actually...

No worries :) CD10 means cycle day 10 where day 1 is first day of AF (Aunt Flow meaning menses).
The length/ duration of AF itself actually is not the factor for deciding if med or natural. It is more of regularity of total cycle days & ovulation. AF 3 days is ok as women can hv AF of 2-7days across different ppl and months.
If u hv irregular cycles like some months for e.g. 24 days, others 28, 30 or 38 days, it may indicate that you do not ovulate regularly or hv no ovulation on certain months so medicated FET is more suitable for you.
Don't worry too much. Trust your doc & follow his advice. Stay positive ya!

Thanks dawn for the detailed explainations.. thumbs up!!

Thanks!
But do weis I to choose the procedure or will it be chosen by the dr?
During ivf briefing ..kkh doc said first 10 or 15 eggs will undergo icsi. If there's more eggs yield then the remaining will go for ivf .. in addition if eggs have harder shell then got to go for laser injection to help Crack the egg

During ivf briefing ..kkh doc said first 10 or 15 eggs will undergo icsi. If there's more eggs yield then the remaining will go for ivf .. in addition if eggs have harder shell then got to go for laser injection to help Crack the egg

Sounds really scientific...
Btw, is it necesary to go thru bedrest a few days after transfer?
I have no idea what to expect at all...

Ya! Gonna embark the journey in dec aft i finished my gynera... Urself?
I'm doing natural FET this month. Started testing OPK since yesterday. Once +ve hv to call TFC to arrange for lab to start thawing the embies for transfer.
This is your 1st fresh cycle? Do take a prenatal supplement (min 400mcg folic acid) if u not already taking. Make sure healthy balanced diet with good source of protein e.g. Egg whites, fish, chicken to improve egg health, drink at least 2L water daily, light to moderate exercise to enhance blood flow, and ensure adequate good rest. Then always stay positive, must build positive energy as you prep for your new cycle. Jia you sister!

Last edited:
Hi,

Im on nov cycle and im on long cycle program.. Now on lucrin.. Scheduled for blood test on next wednesday and begin the next injection.. Any idea how much will the next batch of jabs cost? Im with Dr Yong in SGH..

Sounds really scientific...
Btw, is it necesary to go thru bedrest a few days after transfer?
I have no idea what to expect at all...
Don't worry too much. U still have some time before starting the cycle. You can start thinking about questions u have & any doubts, then make sure you ask doc or nurse in your next visit.

When you start your first scan, you hv the chance to consult doc and when u collect the meds, you have the assigned nurse's full attention to address any question you have. At this time, they will also provide you with more info, documentation & contracts/ consent forms related to the process. You can bring these home to review and further clarify during subsequent visits.
After egg retrieval as well as the transfer, the nurse will go through the list of dos & don'ts. Re. bed rest after transfer, it is not strictly required and you are advised to do walking of at least 15min between resting or sitting for long periods e.g. 1hr, so as to ensure good blood flow.

Depending on your response, short protocol stim jabs usually 10-12days before last jab, i.e. the trigger jab to mature the eggs for egg retrieval 36 hrs after last jab. Usually doc expects at least 2 if not most of the follicles to grow to at least 18mm before last jab. Jia you!
@h0peful, I forgot to mention that for fresh cycle, no need to test OPK as you will be monitored by doc and trigger for egg retrieval sort of controlled timing of ovulation. The day of egg retrieval will be considered day 0 of transfer (same as day 0 of ovulation as in natural cycle).

I'm doing natural FET this month. Started testing OPK since yesterday. Once +ve hv to call TFC to arrange for lab to start thawing the embies for transfer.
This is your 1st fresh cycle? Do take a prenatal supplement (min 400mg folic acid) if u not already taking. Make sure healthy balanced diet with good source of protein e.g. Egg whites, fish, chicken to improve egg health, drink at least 2L water daily, light to moderate exercise to enhance blood flow, and ensure adequate good rest. Then always stay positive, must build positive energy as you prep for your new cycle. Jia you sister!

Thank you! Jia you too!!
Sorry, actually i dun understand what does FET stands for?
Im really excited to start actually, then Dr loh asked to ease my cyst first...

Im taking blackmores conceive gold, hopefully its good enough. Actually, i started taking royal jelly last cycle, i noticed an improvement but i guess i ovulated at the defective side... I asked e nurse, elaine? She said its good actually!

Dearie, my take is better not take chances. You hv invested so much in this process. Can endure a few more days till after your BT on Wed? For your consideration. Stay strong & Jia you!

Ok. Thanks. Ya Lor, just tahan a few days more then I will be free. Haha.

Better dont go swimming. Nurse advised during 2ww not to soak in the tub. So likewise swimming is like soaking inside tub.
Go brisk walk 15mins is fine.

Haha, I din go brisk walking. I scared too violent vibration during the process. I only slow walk n use stroller to walk my girl to and fro IFC on weekdays. Takes abt 15-20 mins each trip. Slack la, slow stroll.

Ok. Thanks. Ya Lor, just tahan a few days more then I will be free. Haha.

Haha, I din go brisk walking. I scared too violent vibration during the process. I only slow walk n use stroller to walk my girl to and fro IFC on weekdays. Takes abt 15-20 mins each trip. Slack la, slow stroll.

Actually i didnt do brisk walking too... just normal shopping and buy grocery type of walk. I was afraid i brisk walk til i forgot about the embryos inside me cos i did brisk walking but suddenly the kick came and I started jogging. That was sometime in july while ttc naturally... hahaha...

Thank you! Jia you too!!
Sorry, actually i dun understand what does FET stands for?
Im really excited to start actually, then Dr loh asked to ease my cyst first...

Im taking blackmores conceive gold, hopefully its good enough. Actually, i started taking royal jelly last cycle, i noticed an improvement but i guess i ovulated at the defective side... I asked e nurse, elaine? She said its good actually!
One step at a time :) you will learn very soon. FET is frozen-thawed embryo transfer. Dr Loh is very experienced. Since you are under him, trust him and take his advice. Stay positive! Rem ICSI will up your chances since both sides' eggs can be retrieved for fertilization without dependency on the tubes.

Try Sadhana or Tan Tse Yeun
@hohohoho , I'm under Dr Sadhana. She's quite good, straight forward and at the same time patient to answer enquiries.

But please be prepared that other male doctors may cover her when she's on leave. For my case, Dr THH did my first ER and ET bcos she was on leave, but I didn't mind him at all bcos he's so nice. If you would like to stick to female Dr throughout the process, probably you should make this request right from the start, but not sure if they will be able to accede.

Baby dusts to you. Relax is good.It helps to sucess. Jia you to all sisters here.

Thanks, hengcai. Grabbing all the baby dusts. How far along are you?

I slack la. Everyday slack past and soon it's time to go back work. Morning send my girl to IFC then come back fix breakkie, eat supplements, Chinese Med, fix lunch, surf net, Double boil chicken Essence, do inserts and nap, eat teabreak, fetch my girl, fix dinner for her. Eat my dinner, wash her bottles n sleep.

Thanks, hengcai. Grabbing all the baby dusts. How far along are you?

I slack la. Everyday slack past and soon it's time to go back work. Morning send my girl to IFC then come back fix breakkie, eat supplements, Chinese Med, fix lunch, surf net, Double boil chicken Essence, do inserts and nap, eat teabreak, fetch my girl, fix dinner for her. Eat my dinner, wash her bottles n sleep.

Does having Chicken Essence helps?
Would like to buy one and start drinking daily since I dun have time to cook or boil any tonic for myself...

@h0peful, I forgot to mention that for fresh cycle, no need to test OPK as you will be monitored by doc and trigger for egg retrieval sort of controlled timing of ovulation. The day of egg retrieval will be considered day 0 of transfer (same as day 0 of ovulation as in natural cycle).
Thanks babe! I was about to buy clearblue opk then was thinking mon go 1st scan then reconfirm with doctor or nurse again so held back from buying. Phew .. otherwise would have buy for nothing. Cos iui they got me to test opk. I'm taking egg whites already and was already on folic acid for few months .will aim to tke red bean soup daily. Should I start longan red date tea now or ginger tea? I have a bottle of bentong ginger powder and I'm wondering If I should start taking prior to Er or after ER.

Thanks babe! I was about to buy clearblue opk then was thinking mon go 1st scan then reconfirm with doctor or nurse again so held back from buying. Phew .. otherwise would have buy for nothing. Cos iui they got me to test opk. I'm taking egg whites already and was already on folic acid for few months .will aim to tke red bean soup daily. Should I start longan red date tea now or ginger tea? I have a bottle of bentong ginger powder and I'm wondering If I should start taking prior to Er or after ER.
Cool sis. I actually take 2 whole eggs daily then the rest only egg whites. Besides egg whites, avocado is one food you can include daily & can start adding a few walnuts & 1-2 Brazil nuts daily (good nutrients for implantation). These can continue into your 2ww later.
Re. LGRD tea. Are u currently seeing any TCM physician? If so, they can monitor your body constitution & advise according. Otherwise you need to be cautious. LGRD tea may not be suitable for some ladies, esp with heaty constitution or those who gets heaty easily, because longan can cause excess heat if not taken correctly in terms of dosage, regularity etc all depends on your body as well as your daily diet how it affects you. Red dates alone are ok though as advised by my TCM doc. If u intend to take LGRD tea, better to start only after AF ends or as advised by TCM doc. Once u start feeling heaty, cut down like take alternate day(s) or stop. Signs of heatiness include heavy headed feeling, swelling tongue that is more red than usual, sweating too easily, very warm palms and soles to extent of discomfort, constant thirst. Careful not to let heatiness escalate to constipation. I have nvr taken bentong ginger powder as I hv always include ginger in all my stir fried dishes and soups. Hv not read anyone mentioned this too. Maybe someone can advise.

Last edited:
Thanks! In that case I will just boil red dates with red sugar exclude longan . Yup on avocado juice drink. Can just get off the fruit stalls. Bentong ginger is recommended for confinement as it also helps to keep warm but may be heaty at times. All the best for ur fet !

For sisters who went to physician tan at Clementi before, not sure have u encountered this.
When I called for appt, the recep says husband also must see dr. For my case, I'm planning FET early next yr so wanna tio my body for it. Don't wanna waste money since don't need hubby in FET :p . And hubby also won't take those powdered medicine and won't do acupuncture.. Just feel why the recep is so pushy and doesn't listen to patient's needs. Told her only I see but she insist that hubby must see also..

Hmm din know about internal or external. I never give birth before and did endo scratch with Dr Tan too & he never mention abt internal or external. My threshold for pain is high but for at least 1 min I felt like someone has given me 10 punches to my tummy & feeling winded. & the action not very nice also.. Dr Tan looks like plumber trying to clear the clog in there! Lol in-out motion.. :D

Any ladies did full / internal endo scratch before?
Wondering what's the pain levels like?
I have a high riding cervix and my embryo transfer was done with sedation (at per my doc)
I don't really fancy fists clenching / teeth gritting kinda experience.
On another note, I only have csects before, never had natural birth, wonder perhaps I will fall under external category still??

Just to add on, this is also because to do the test, they'd need to culture it to D5 blastocyst to do PGD test. So along the way many would have been arrested. So not necessary that only 1 is chromosomally unsound although growing to d5 weeded out the not so strong ones. I had over 20 eggs retrieved but ended up only 2 good ones after PGD.

Oh no, I saw some pinkish stains on my pantyliner. Is it still possible for implantation spotting to happen on 14days after transfer?

This is your 1st fresh cycle? Do take a prenatal supplement (min 400mg folic acid) if u not already taking. Make sure healthy balanced diet with good source of protein e.g. Egg whites, fish, chicken to improve egg health, drink at least 2L water daily, light to moderate exercise to enhance blood flow, and ensure adequate good rest. Then always stay positive, must build positive energy as you prep for your new cycle. Jia you sister!
Hi, where did u get the dosage of 400mg folic acid a day? From ur dr?

@hohohoho , I'm under Dr Sadhana. She's quite good, straight forward and at the same time patient to answer enquiries.

But please be prepared that other male doctors may cover her when she's on leave. For my case, Dr THH did my first ER and ET bcos she was on leave, but I didn't mind him at all bcos he's so nice. If you would like to stick to female Dr throughout the process, probably you should make this request right from the start, but not sure if they will be able to accede.

Thanks HappyPeanuts.
Can I pm you some queries on Sadhana?

Hi, where did u get the dosage of 400mg folic acid a day? From ur dr?
I was taking it as part of the prenatal supplement. I was initially taking Blackmore's Conceive Well Gold then switched to Rainbow Light One-a-Day prenatal. Both already included adequate folic acid so Dr said no need to take additional separately.

Back